As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - It’s Still Too Late

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited August 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - It’s Still Too Late

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    ViRGEViRGE Registered User regular
    Ahh, I've missed these. We haven't had a Too Damn Late in a few years now, it seems like.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    I think it's been more than a few years

but good to see it again

• Options
    identeregareidenteregare Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    The backdrop appears to indicate (from the unobscured letters) that this show is called "Too Dam Late". Is it a new, edgy reboot?

Also, +1 for dropping cinderblocks on Adam Sandler's head.

identeregare on
  • Options
    ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    I know I'm gonna sound like a bit of a hypocrite considering my reaction to the third panel in the last strip but I love the third panel in this one.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    I know I'm gonna sound like a bit of a hypocrite considering my reaction to the third panel in the last strip but I love the third panel in this one.

I'm not much of a dog person, but still: generic dogs >>> Adam Sandler.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    The backdrop appears to indicate (from the unobscured letters) that this show is called "Too Dam Late". Is it a new, edgy reboot?

No, it always said that.
    214620892_txSPJ-1050x10000.jpg

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

No, it always said that.
    http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/214620892_txSPJ/0/1050x10000/214620892_txSPJ-1050x10000.jpg

So... in that comic it says "Too Damn Late" and in the current comic it says "Too Dam Late". Look at the position and width of the "M" relative to the "TE" in late. It would mean that the "N" would be hanging on its own if it's a square logo.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    PeriSoftPeriSoft Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm down with the cinder block idea.

• Options
    Soul SanctumSoul Sanctum Registered User regular
    I've been hankering for a new "Too Damn Late" strip, but I'm not feeling this one. Probably the weakest of the strip series. Time Magazine? Rocket League? ehhhh.

• Options
    AnarCHrisAnarCHris Trash Lord New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Hell of a deep cut, which I dug. Hopefully it won't be years before we get another TDL strip.

AnarCHris on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »

I'm not much of a dog person, but still: generic dogs >>> Adam Sandler.

Is joke here that Pixels sucked, or that late show people like dropping things off of buildings? Or both?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Definitely the first, possibly the second also.

I've always liked these strips, and I would watch that show.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I...I enjoyed Pixels. Does that make me a monster?

I mean, there were bits and whole characters I could have done without but as a bit of dumb entertainment? Yeah, I had fun.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    I would stay up way past my bedtime to watch this show, or any late show that drops cinderblocks on Adam Sandler.

• Options
    MenasorMenasor Registered User regular
    I think this is some of the best comedic writing in the strips in awhile. I liked this one.

Destiny PS4: Earthen1
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

I mean, there were bits and whole characters I could have done without but as a bit of dumb entertainment? Yeah, I had fun.

A (or the? never been sure if there's just the one) grinch would absolutely love Pixels for the fact that it sucks the joy out of pop culture icons that a significant segment of the population loves.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I want to know what's in the mystical Yoshi Box.

• Options
    prime_pmprime_pm Registered User regular
    Still better than Fallon

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I want to know what's in the mystical Yoshi Box.

The Yoshi Boxx was a bunch of consoles crammed into a PC case (with a PC), made by a guy from Screen Savers on TechTV.
    From Wikipedia:
    One of (Yoshi's) most memorable creations was Yoshi's Boxx, a combination of a gaming PC, Nintendo GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox, and many other older video game systems into one box. DeHerrera returned a year after the first Yoshi's Boxx to create Y-Boxx 2k3.

I want to say it was mentioned another time (with Gabe demanding it as ransom), but I cannot track it down.

• Options
    dfkabnzdfkabnz Registered User new member
    art == best

YOU'RE KILLING IT, MIKE!

No slight to Jerry, because the writing is great, too. But you don't even need any words when the character art is this expressive. This strip would be great for another fan text contest.

• Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    Looks like Too Damn Late got a nice set upgrade.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

Yeah, I don't get the flak. Haven't seen it yet, but Adam Sandler movies are built around putting your brain into neutral. They've always been about that.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular
    Remember that time when people didn't hate Adam Sandler? All you need is Wedding Singer.

• Options
    Oh wow. I never knew the Yoshi Box was an actual thing. Cool.

Re: Pixels. I feel like such a movie would've been better received had it come out before Wreck-it Ralph came out and showed how a movie based around old arcade games can be done.

• Options
    MoganMogan Registered User regular
    "Remember that time when people didn't hate Adam Sandler? All you need is Wedding Singer."

A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. After the cinder blocks, I'll buy a copy of The Wedding Singer.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    For context on the Time magazine thing:
    mLCbAj3pb4kr.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

Yup. That's VR alright. Erm.

Cue: R. Kelly "I Believe I Can Fly"

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Wow, that is spectacular in its awfulness

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Of all the fucking poses they HAD to choose the one that made him look like the derpiest ballerina. Great.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

I just... *sigh* oh, boy. That is something.

• Options
    metroidkillahmetroidkillah Local Bunman Free Country, USARegistered User regular
    Make no mistake, Sandler deserves to be punished for many things, not just Pixels; but he's done some pretty good stuff, too. I thought Funny People was incredible.

That said, I'll buy in. Where do we line up?

I'm not a nice guy, I just play one in real life.
  • Options
    RedactedProfileRedactedProfile Burnaby, BCRegistered User regular
    You could just take a break for a couple months Mike, and just let Jerry do his thing with this very same panel the entire time. The format is infinitely reusable lol

• Options
    ParisuParisu Registered User new member
    Now that's entertainment! If this was on TV I would watch it... Psyche! Who watches TV anymore? Am I right? Still, this has to be a thing... not a podcast... more like a comedy talk show, like Equals Three stuff. In fact someone get RWJ and his team working on this ASAP. This has to be a thing!

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Dropping cinderblocks on someone's head may sound harsh, but Gabe's love for Pac-Man is well-documented

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

I just... *sigh* oh, boy. That is something.

You don't have to actually say anything. Just let your avatar do the talking for you.

Man in the Mists on
  • Options
    MaccaMacca Registered User new member
    Holy shit you guys, they're drawn with five fingers on their hands!! IT'S A NEW ERA!

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Gabe's speech balloon isn't coming from his mouth

• Options
    Gabe's speech balloon isn't coming from his mouth

That's cause it's not Gabe's.

• Options
    ChaosPathChaosPath Registered User regular
    Two proper Penny Arcade strips in a row, kickass

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    I'd watch that. Hell, I'd watch that through a commercial break.

Also, PA suits up! Sharp-dressed fist bumps all around!

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    The outrage over that cover and article sure felt like it got out of hand, though. Like, I get it, it's dorky, he looks silly, and saying "he doesn't look like your average D&D player!" got some people posting pictures of Vin Diesel, who also plays D&D (like that fact's not known by everyone exactly because of how surprising it was that someone like Vin Diesel is a hardcode D&D geek). But Palmer Luckey invented a $300 nerd-hat that lets you pretend to fly spaceships or explore alien landscapes. It's super cool, I really want to bankrupt myself to buy a setup to do it all justice, but that is pretty damned nerdy.

forumsig.png