As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Heroes of the Storm] Lt. Morales (Medic) Coming Soon! Plus Vulture Mount!

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Played some Nova to get her to level 5. Took triple tap by accident in my last game, hilarity ensued.

https://youtu.be/OfJ2HsR80gY

Talk about the wrong place at the wrong time.

Separately, I played some Brightwing for the first time. She's...a lot of fun. Hoping her buff makes her more competitive, but the teleporting stuff is great.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Haha that's awesome!!

I didn't realize that the shot would continue after the main target was dead. I figured it'd be like a cancel (tass' walk thingie) and it'd just fizzle out.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    übergeek wrote: »
    They really need to fix the matchmaker. I'm constantly getting Aba and 4 assassins as my team.

QM matchmaking is neither quick nor good. I've never been as dissatisfied with the matchmaking as I am with HOTS. Worst in the genre.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    much to my bank account's dismay, i bought lili's skin.

first time i'm really playing her since the butcher came out, and man lingering blind is hilarious vs him. saved a valla at <10% hp because butcher just sat in melee with her with brand up not doing any damage at all. Li Li does mean things to him in general with a lingering blind, shake it off, shrink ray build. which is what i ended up taking in all 3 games since mass wasn't worth it with the comps and had a butcher on the enemy team every time.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    They really need to fix the matchmaker. I'm constantly getting Aba and 4 assassins as my team.

QM matchmaking is neither quick nor good. I've never been as dissatisfied with the matchmaking as I am with HOTS. Worst in the genre.

I thought the MM was pretty good in Beta. And even early release. Teams could be a bit screwy but it wasn't that bad and it was super fast.

But for the past month to 6 weeks or something, it's gotten WAY slower. Like, gone from 30 seconds to 3-4 minutes most of the time. And the actual teams have not gotten any better. It actually feels like they've gotten worse. (My winning percentages are certainly dropping)

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

I thought the MM was pretty good in Beta. And even early release. Teams could be a bit screwy but it wasn't that bad and it was super fast.

But for the past month to 6 weeks or something, it's gotten WAY slower. Like, gone from 30 seconds to 3-4 minutes most of the time. And the actual teams have not gotten any better. It actually feels like they've gotten worse. (My winning percentages are certainly dropping)

Yeah, I seem to be on a downward skid since open beta. I think the matchmaker just can't handle a large amount of people.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    are the heroes listed in any meaningful way on the score screen at game's end?

blind means can't auto-attack for 2 seconds I read on a wiki but are there other status ailments? stunned means something, rooted... I googled but I can't find these words altogether so I can know exactly what I'm dealing with.

muradin is fun. I played a game with fellow PAers where I felt like I dragged the team down but in a qm game right after I felt pretty solid. still not at a place where I am totally sure what I'm contributing but I guess that's part of it being a team game haha, just need to get used to good habits and I'll be helping. just don't want to be a hindrance.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    InqInq Registered User regular
    That's pretty different then my experience with matchmaking at the moment. When they started factoring number of games played into match making my queue times went up to the 1-2 minute range and they've stayed pretty close to that. I upload all my games to Hotslogs.com so I also see that in 741 games in QM I have a 51.0% win rate. That's close enough to 50% that it seems like pretty good match making. Those games go clear back to October 2014 so maybe that's not the best sample. If I look at only my games from August, I'm at 20 wins in 40 games.

Now, the team compositions can be kinda whacky at times, but that's QM for you. I can't even really say that I've lost more then I've won when I have a crazy comp. I'm not even sure what you would do to improve the team comps in any concrete way.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »

blind means can't auto-attack for 2 seconds I read on a wiki but are there other status ailments? stunned means something, rooted... I googled but I can't find these words altogether so I can know exactly what I'm dealing with.

muradin is fun. I played a game with fellow PAers where I felt like I dragged the team down but in a qm game right after I felt pretty solid. still not at a place where I am totally sure what I'm contributing but I guess that's part of it being a team game haha, just need to get used to good habits and I'll be helping. just don't want to be a hindrance.

Stunned means you can't do anything for its duration. Muradin's Stormbolt is a stun--you hit someone with it and they're helpless for.. 1 or 1.5 seconds, I can't remember (but I really should considering Muradin is by far my most played character). Root just means you can't move for its duration. You can still attack and cast abilites and whatnot. I believe you can also use movement abilities to get out of root, like Dwarf Toss. Or at least I was getting out of Malf's root with Sonya's Spear.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I couldn't get out of Arthas's root with the banshees on Sylv.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Yeah, roots disable all movement abilities.

The ones where it seems like it doesn't, that's almost certainly an Unstoppable or something similar attached to the skill.

shryke on
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Played some Nova to get her to level 5. Took triple tap by accident in my last game, hilarity ensued.

https://youtu.be/OfJ2HsR80gY

Talk about the wrong place at the wrong time.

Separately, I played some Brightwing for the first time. She's...a lot of fun. Hoping her buff makes her more competitive, but the teleporting stuff is great.

Good stuff, man. I once saw a single TT score a triple kill against my team. Everyone was low on health, and Nova set it on one of my teammates as we were attempting to disengage. Our warrior steps in front of the first shot to block it, but gets himself killed in the process. Then the target of the Tap jukes the second shot into another one of our allies, trying desperately to save himself. He does, for that moment, but gets the second player killed in the process. The third and final shot hits its mark, finally killing him.

I just sat there, dumbfounded, thinking, "You guys are so fucking stupid."

milk ducks on
  • Options
    SupagoatSupagoat Registered User regular
    I haven't really had a problem with the MM at all. Taking into account # of games played has really improved my experience and I haven't gotten a completely dysfunctional team since. I was in a match last night where the enemy team had a tank and we didn't. Initially it was really rough for us but by level 10 we were able to hold our own and through better play we dominated team fights.

That got me thinking more about the value of tanks... I've been beaten by teams without tanks several times but never really gotten to try one myself. I think it might depend partially on map, but in some cases I think it's a really good idea to go tankless. Like on dragon shire. You know your team will be split at least in half so unless you have 2 tanks you're going to be engaging in 3v3 fights potentially without a tank. What's the value of taking a tank in that situation? It's traditional for the tank to take the dragon, so often the tanks just sit around soaking middle while everyone else battles for the shrines. Anyway, it's something I want to explore some more.

I also had an amusing HL match on Tuesday night where one of our team was TLV. Towards the end of the match one person on the team remarked "You're not very good at splitting TLV, are you?" And the guy playing TLV admitted he wasn't very experienced with them. Why the heck would you pick them for a HL game, then? I guess this goes back to that question about unranked drafts. We don't need it because plenty of people treat HL as an unranked draft. :-)

Actually, that match was really odd. For once both teams were almost equally disorganized. Ours had somewhat more organization and we were good about grouping up for the tributes and our team fight was strong so we won pretty handily in the end, but all the while I was sitting there thinking "Playing like this we should not be winning."

bnet: Supagoat#1884
    Switch: 6589-6405-3399
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Variable wrote: »

Stunned means you can't do anything for its duration. Muradin's Stormbolt is a stun--you hit someone with it and they're helpless for.. 1 or 1.5 seconds, I can't remember (but I really should considering Muradin is by far my most played character). Root just means you can't move for its duration. You can still attack and cast abilites and whatnot. I believe you can also use movement abilities to get out of root, like Dwarf Toss. Or at least I was getting out of Malf's root with Sonya's Spear.

@variable you have no idea how glad it makes me to see you play this. You'll be forced to use zerg units every now and then. ;)

Stun = makes the enemy incapable of moving or doing anything. VERY IMPORTANT: This also CANCELS any channeled abilities (like Nazeebo's spirit ult, Lili's 1000 cups ult, Valla's strafe ult. SUPER important. You can see how important stuns are in the game. They not only cancel other's SUPER strong moves but they also cant' do anything to escape so it's a perfect window to take damage. So it's good to know what's a stun vs what is not: Tyrande's arrow thingie is a stun. Artha's frost wave is not a stun, just a root. I believe Kalethas' tornado thing is a stun.

Root = imobilizes a unit. It doesn't let them do their escape (reads just like escapé) moves either. Sometimes it feels like it but you're really just moving out at the end of the root time. This does NOT cancel channeled abilities. It really just stops them from moving.

Displacement = These are moves like Tychus' grenade, hammer's knockback, ETC's sound wave thingie. These moves PUSH an enemy in a certain direction. VERY IMPORTANT: These only cancel channeled abilities that are immobile: Nazeebo's ult (he channels it while standing still, can't move). It does NOT cancel channeled abilities where the enemy can still move (Lili's 1000 cups, etc.). There are some other more subtle moves / ults that can be cancellled with this. I believe one of them is Falstad's shock and awe as you can displace him while he's winding it up (it's like a half second window, so rare to do it).

Some heroes have unstoppable traits though, where even a stun or root won't stop them. If you stun Johanna first though she can NOT use her unstoppable trait while stunned. If you root her, she can use unstoppable anytime since while rooted, you can still use abilities. Another key example of stun vs root.

There is also an uninterruptible status, that I THINK only Diablo has? It's during his lightning breath ult. You can't stun him out of it. I think the only thing that cancels it is Zagara's maw? That might be new since a recent patch but I can't confirm right now.

One other special state is, hard to describe, but it's being both invulnerable, unstoppable, and basically able to walk through solid walls. The most basic example is Tassdar's phase shift. He can walk away from roots and can also walk past heroes and things like zombie wall. His doesn't walk through SOLID walls though. Valla's vault can walk through solid map walls. This one is a bit special and unspecified and yeah, tough to explain. I think they haven't really set down all the rules on this one.

Then there are other status ailments that are pretty straight forward: blind, slow, polymorph (that one's a bit special but only a single hero can do it), shrink, take-additional-damage debuff, etc. etc.

Stuns are so strong a mechanic that they've recently made them very special (displacements used to cancel more things).

Muradin is one of the best warriors out there because he has a targeted stun. He's also super beefy and can get in the face of the enemy and just wreck havoc. Being able to stun 2 heroes at once is super useful too. He can also really hurt auto-attack heroes with reverbate (or however you spell it). He can body block real well too. Sadly his haymaker ult is still just not good enough, but avatar is GG NO RE.

ed: took out Malf's heal and Kerrigan's malestorm as being interruptible because apparently they aren't, but lili's 1000 cups and Valla's strafe are. Maybe those differ in that those are cast as aoe "auras." Meh...

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    I lost a vs AI game last night while I was trying out Aba. I had Illidan, Lili, Muradin, and Raynor on my team and it was amazingly the most coordinated, un-coordinated group I've played with. They traveled in a ball everywhere (right from level 1) consistently got themselves killed in teamfights. We were on Blackheart and they did't turn in once. I'm not going to say I'm completely faultless in this, not sure I was hatting the right folks all the time, but c'mon.

While I know that Aba can soak, during laning he shouldn't be left solo on a lane right?

Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • Options
    Maledict66Maledict66 Registered User regular
    For clarity on the stuns etc.

Malfurion's heroic heal is *not* a channelled ability. Once it goes off, stunning Malf does nothing. It's basically an aura he flips on. Silence and stuns prevent him from activating it, but don't stop it. The only things that do are web blast and devouring maw.

Kael's Gravity lapse is a standard stun with a neat graphic effect.

Valla's vault allows you to jump over walls but doesn't allow you to vault over scenery / map walls. Falsteads Barrel Roll does. (I need to check on Valla actually, cannot remember exactly as it's been so long since I played her - it may be she can't even jump over walls as she cannot jump out of entomb).

It is worth noting the three 'unique' cc abilities in the game - Anub'araks Webblast, Zagara's Debouring Maw and Zeraruts Void Prison. All three work differently to other abilities, and each has some unique aspects to it that can seem weird.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Valla can jump through zombie wall. But maybe that's not a wall and just more "hero" characters that body block.

I didn't know that about malf's ult. I could've sworn I stunned him out of it many many patches ago but ya it's been ages and could've also changed since then. ed: Ya that's so weird.... like, how is it different than Lili's ult? That one can DEF be cancelled with a stun as I've done it a ton of times. That's just.... silly....

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    Oh, one other neat thing are abilities that go through scenery walls:

Stitche's hook will go through scenery walls and pull the enemy in through the wall (sick when it works).

Anub's spike stun also goes through walls. I think this one goes through ALL walls.

Diablo's lightning breath also goes through walls, etc. etc.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    Nope, afraid it's always been that way. It even works when he's iceblocked, so a common tactic against a dive team is to pop it as they go in and then iceblock - utterly unstoppable healing for your entire team is hard to fight through.

Thinking about it, I'm fairly sure valla can't jump over walls. Zombie Walls don't count as scenery, they are just immobile creatures, so any ability that lets you jump over creatures lets you go through them.

Also worth noting that Leoric when Wraithwalking can pass through enemy gates, but no other scenery. Weird but occasionally fun when stalking someone.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I can't believe Blizzard hasn't uploaded the August Open matches yet.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Maledict66 wrote: »
    For clarity on the stuns etc.
    Malfurion's heroic heal is *not* a channelled ability. The only things that do are web blast and devouring maw.

I thought polymorph temporarily shut it off as well

• Options
    Theorietically it shouldn't, but it's not something I know the answer too. Does polymorph also shut off Burning Rage / Immolation style abilities?

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure Tranquility keeps going if Malfurion is polymorphed.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    IIRC LiLi's heals for more. But not all that much more, frankly :\

Man the more I think about it Malf is pretty broke as a healer. I'm not sure they should hit him with the nerf back (Maybe just make Tranquility interruptible) but I feel like the OTHER SUPPORTS need to be brought up to his level. Especially Brightwing, Tassadar, and what's her face that I never play.

("seraph do you play anyone who isn't support" uh... >>;;;; look man I know what I like and what I like is going LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE at teammates and SLOW DOWN SO MY FRIEND CAN MURDER YOU at enemies)

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    Tassadar isn't a support. The sooner they reclassify him and Tyrande the better for everyone.

And brightwing is just bad compared to *any* support right now. Maybe the buff on the PtR will improve her, but for now she's utter junk.

Personally, I don't find Malf overpowered. In terms of burst healing, rehgar and Uther do it better, and post 16 Rehgars team healing and sustain is also utterly ludicrous. Malf feels like he's in a great spot but definitely not overpowered - I would generally prefer the other two main healers compared to him unless I was specifically looking for the root. An Uther who is on comms with a dps using the double stun ability and invuln shield is just terrifying, and a rehgar specced for chain heal just puts out mad healing numbers - after 20 and with rewind he basically has two ancestrals, one of which massively heals your team as well.

• Options
    LiLi's 1000 Cups ult works completely different from Tranquility. Tranquility is an AoE heal over time. It heals rapidly and is strong, but the radius is pretty small and it is not instant.

1000 Cups is like LiLi's Q on crack. It always targets the lowest health ally within range and rapidly hits them with the brew toss. At level 10 it only heals 1 ally at a time. At level 20 it will throw 2 cups at once. So it isn't really AoE at all. It just puts a big ring of range. But it's an extremely rapid single-target heal, prioritizing the lowest health target.

At 16 LiLi gets the "Two For One" talent that lets her throw out two brews at once. The level 20 upgrade of 1000 Cups is basically just Super Two For One.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    AI games can be hilariously bad.
    I've had like 3 or 4 games where the friendly bots just walk back and forth in one lane killing minions the entire game while the entire enemy team 5 man steamrolls straight to the core.
    Using the ping commands do nothing and if you try to delay the steamroll the enemies will just home in on you then go back to the steamroll once your dead.

Its like the AI just completely breaks randomly.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    And nobody should take that because Kung Fu Hustle is infinitely better.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    It's not. It's situationally better. Kung Fu Hustle only activates when LiLi is damaged (aka when her trait procs). If she's not getting hit, then Kung Fu Hustle is not a great choice.

Edit: Note, I almost always take Kung Fu Hustle. I'm just stating that it isn't always the right choice.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    TTODewback wrote: »
    AI games can be hilariously bad.
    I've had like 3 or 4 games where the friendly bots just walk back and forth in one lane killing minions the entire game while the entire enemy team 5 man steamrolls straight to the core.
    Using the ping commands do nothing and if you try to delay the steamroll the enemies will just home in on you then go back to the steamroll once your dead.

Its like the AI just completely breaks randomly.

OK, now I have to step in and say... why play with AI allies?
    Play with human allies. AI allies are just... well they're AI.

Until we get the AI Difficulty setting in the upcoming patch, uncheck that box that says AI Allies and just play with humans.
    Sure, some will be worse than bots (insane but true) but overall it's good fun.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    So...they added a counter for all the treasure goblins killed.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Yeah, because they are adding a meta-quest that gets you a TG portrait when you've killed 50 TGs.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    on playing with/vs AI, I find it helpful (though I've only done it once so far, I'll have to do it a few more times) to get a hero to 5 so if I join a QM I am not straight up gimped. even if it doesn't matter for every hero.

I am still a ways from lvl 25 or whatever it is to get all talents unlocked.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Almost to that 10k gold level again. I need two more for Hero League but getting Leoric is so tempting.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Played a few vs AI last night, first games I've played since I took a break a few weeks ago due to slideshows. And...all slideshows. Blizzard, pls!

• Options
    Almost to that 10k gold level again. I need two more for Hero League but getting Leoric is so tempting.
    Uh, you gotta save up for the Treasure Goblin mount!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular

I'm actually hitting 10k for the first time. I have the basic Valla/Muradin/Malf trifecta, so I'm tempted to grab something wacky like Chen or Abathur or Murky.

But then again, Zagara is really versatile as a damage dealer (i.e. at least fair in pushing, mercs, 1v1, team fights, etc). Are there any sub-10k characters that are really versatile in a similar way?

And a silly question: I know the gold cost for heroes get reduced permanently from time to time, but is it ever discounted in a "sale"?

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    jergarmar wrote: »

I'm actually hitting 10k for the first time. I have the basic Valla/Muradin/Malf trifecta, so I'm tempted to grab something wacky like Chen or Abathur or Murky.

But then again, Zagara is really versatile as a damage dealer (i.e. at least fair in pushing, mercs, 1v1, team fights, etc). Are there any sub-10k characters that are really versatile in a similar way?

And a silly question: I know the gold cost for heroes get reduced permanently from time to time, but is it ever discounted in a "sale"?

Zagara is amazing, and easily my favorite hero. Maybe sylvanis is another option as far as versatility?

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    I love hotslogs for interesting analysis. In the past 30 days I've played 8 HL matches with Malf and 5 with Rehgar. My win % is 87.5 with Malf and 20 with Rehgar. I doubt that's completely a reflection on Rehgar, but daaamn.

As an aside, I rarely get so hooked on games as I am on hots. Recently I did get pretty hooked on Elite, but once I got to a certain point I felt like I'd pretty much done it all. They're adding more and so some day I'll probably go back, but no time for that right now!

The last time before that was L4D2. Between L4D 1 and 2 I have a little over 7 days played. In hots, which I started playing June 7th, I have like 5.5 days. And that's just pure match time as measured by hotslogs, so it doesn't include draft and load times the way my L4D stats do.

There's just so much nuance to hots, and so much skill to work on. It really gets my adrenaline going. Every team fight is a puzzle you only get one chance to solve! So good.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Playing Aba on free week is actually hilarious.

It ensures you don't get a bad aba
    Except when I do it, it turns out I'm the bad Aba.

[Directed by M. Night Shyamalan]