As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Heroes of the Storm] Lt. Morales (Medic) Coming Soon! Plus Vulture Mount!

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Do we know how much the Treasure Goblin mount will be? I'm assuming 20k, like the Piggy Bank. Can anyone from the PTR confirm its cost?

milk ducks on
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Do we know how much the Treasure Goblin mount will be? I'm assuming 20k, like the Piggy Bank. Can anyone from the PTR confirm its cost?

I'd imagine no because PTR is only allowing RM purchases, not gold.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular

I'd imagine no because PTR is only allowing RM purchases, not gold.

Yeah, I didn't see it in the store the other night.

Just a reminder, anyone can be "from the PTR," just change your region in the bnet launcher to PTR

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    übergeek wrote: »
    They really need to fix the matchmaker. I'm constantly getting Aba and 4 assassins as my team.

QM matchmaking is neither quick nor good. I've never been as dissatisfied with the matchmaking as I am with HOTS. Worst in the genre.

I thought the MM was pretty good in Beta. And even early release. Teams could be a bit screwy but it wasn't that bad and it was super fast.

But for the past month to 6 weeks or something, it's gotten WAY slower. Like, gone from 30 seconds to 3-4 minutes most of the time. And the actual teams have not gotten any better. It actually feels like they've gotten worse. (My winning percentages are certainly dropping)

My QM MMR has been slowly plummeting ever since release.

On 6/2/2015 my MMR was 3124. On 8/5/2015 it had dropped down to 2896. Prior to release I never dropped below 3k, hovering somewhere between 3k and just under 3.2k.

I managed to get it back up to 2936 over the past week or so, got lucky with a 6 game win streak (3 as Murky, 3 as Zeratul).

I don't really care TOO much about my QM MMR, cause it's just QM and I mostly play HL. But it's still astounding how much I dropped. It's astounding how much I dropped due to forces beyond my control. It's not like I suddenly started playing like absolute trash, or like I started playing Heroes I'm not familiar with. The matchmaker shit the bed and started matching me with people who have no idea how to play the game.

Overall I'm trying not to focus on the numbers too much but it gets to a point where it's hard not to.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Also mmig said something about interrupting maelstrom with stuns on the previous page? This is incorrect, it's like tranq, only it hurts instead of heals.

And there are plenty of other characters besides Diablo that have unstoppable abilities/states (jo, butch, leoric, Uther, mura, tyrael, and more I'm forgetting)

Alucard6986 on
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Damn it, Blizzard.

wtfbro

ed: I've edited my post in the last page.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Also, apparently KT is still pretty good on PTR...

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Yeah, KT is fine. They upped the damage of Flamestrike and the DoT damage of Living Bomb. His damage is more even now, rather than being subpar till 16.

• Options
    forty wrote: »

I've been seeing people running Chain Bomb/Backdraft with him, along with Pyroblast. It's honestly hard to gauge since I haven't played PTR myself, just been watching streams. But if he's still good, awesome. I don't want him to be useless, he's really damn fun to play and I like his playstyle a lot.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Dibby wrote: »
    They really need to fix the matchmaker. I'm constantly getting Aba and 4 assassins as my team.

QM matchmaking is neither quick nor good. I've never been as dissatisfied with the matchmaking as I am with HOTS. Worst in the genre.

I thought the MM was pretty good in Beta. And even early release. Teams could be a bit screwy but it wasn't that bad and it was super fast.

But for the past month to 6 weeks or something, it's gotten WAY slower. Like, gone from 30 seconds to 3-4 minutes most of the time. And the actual teams have not gotten any better. It actually feels like they've gotten worse. (My winning percentages are certainly dropping)

On 6/2/2015 my MMR was 3124. On 8/5/2015 it had dropped down to 2896. Prior to release I never dropped below 3k, hovering somewhere between 3k and just under 3.2k.

I managed to get it back up to 2936 over the past week or so, got lucky with a 6 game win streak (3 as Murky, 3 as Zeratul).

I don't really care TOO much about my QM MMR, cause it's just QM and I mostly play HL. But it's still astounding how much I dropped. It's astounding how much I dropped due to forces beyond my control. It's not like I suddenly started playing like absolute trash, or like I started playing Heroes I'm not familiar with. The matchmaker shit the bed and started matching me with people who have no idea how to play the game.

Overall I'm trying not to focus on the numbers too much but it gets to a point where it's hard not to.

I am bronze in HL and platinum in QM

I have come to terms with the fact that I'm just not that good

So It Goes on
  • Options
    And there are plenty of other characters besides Diablo that have unstoppable abilities/states (jo, butch, leoric, Uther, mura, tyrael, and more I'm forgetting)

When you say Uther, do you mean divine shield?

Does that cleanse someone if they're currently rooted?
    I think it might but I haven't tried / seen it yet.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    InqInq Registered User regular
    edited August 2015

One thing to keep in mind is that MMR is not a precise measurement using some metric standard unit of skill. If you change the population for the MMR pool, then your MMR value might change even though your skill has not.

Inq on
  • Options
    Maledict66Maledict66 Registered User regular

Meh, its hard to say.

There's no MMR on the PTR, so teams are just random people thrown together. If Kael is allowed to get into auto attack range and "do his thing" with Living Bomb (either build seems fun), he is still capable of putting out a lot of damage. But so far I haven't yet run into anyone actually punishing Kael for getting that close to the enemy. My concern is that in a live environment, Kael is just going to get munched as soon as he is in cast range for living bomb - for the samer eaosn he now has to take flamethrower. He's incredibly easy to kill, and has very little defense against any form of dive or melee team.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Inq wrote: »

One thing to keep in mind is that MMR is not a precise measurement using some metric standard unit of skill. If you change the population for the MMR pool, then your MMR value might change even though your skill has not.

Sure, but I've been tracking my games. I've noticed a trend where I've been losing way more games than I've been winning, post-launch. Hotslogs is showing a disproportionate amount of white to green. Prior to launch I had a much more healthy win/loss ratio. There was much more green than white, and that's flipped now.

It's not a coincidence, I mean. I know exactly why it's been happening, it's because there's been a huge influx of new players and the matchmaker is terrible. It's just been frustrating in the meantime.

The only solace I can take in this is realizing that it's not me. I have to keep telling myself that each time these stupid losing streaks happen.

The matchmaker changes they've implemented to QM have helped a little bit. But you still get fucky comps most of the time. Yeah sure, no-support teams will get matched with no-support teams, but then the enemy team has double tanks and you have none. Or maybe your sole support is a Tyrande or Tassadar and the enemy team has Uther or Rehgar. Or, both.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »

When you say Uther, do you mean divine shield?

Does that cleanse someone if they're currently rooted?
    I think it might but I haven't tried / seen it yet.

Yes

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

I've been seeing people running Chain Bomb/Backdraft with him, along with Pyroblast. It's honestly hard to gauge since I haven't played PTR myself, just been watching streams. But if he's still good, awesome. I don't want him to be useless, he's really damn fun to play and I like his playstyle a lot.

I told you you didn't need to be all doom and gloom :P

I'm basically thinking this would probably be the go-to build: http://www.heroesnexus.com/talent-calculator/50-kaelthas?filter-ptr=1#oPMRbRVReRgRQRyAA
    Let Chain Bomb do all your damage, and late game you get a lolhuge shield from Arcane Barrier so that you can get into range of late-game assassins and survive long enough to get a W or two off (though at that point you should probably be popping your trait on your E, especially since it'll travel so fast/far now with the upped base speed and the further increased level 4 talent).

Alternatively, I seriously think that his E build might have some use now that he's not pigeon-holed into Ignitebot: http://www.heroesnexus.com/talent-calculator/50-kaelthas?filter-ptr=1#oPMRhRURjRgRiRyAA
    Think about it--if you hit three people with his E at level 7 (including minions), your trait is instantly back up and your stun will be up again in 4 seconds. That's pretty crazy. Especially when it becomes a 2 second stun at 13. I'm shuddering just thinking about it. If you're good with your aim you can just be a near perma-stunbot.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    jergarmar wrote: »
    Almost to that 10k gold level again. I need two more for Hero League but getting Leoric is so tempting.

I'm actually hitting 10k for the first time. I have the basic Valla/Muradin/Malf trifecta, so I'm tempted to grab something wacky like Chen or Abathur or Murky.

But then again, Zagara is really versatile as a damage dealer (i.e. at least fair in pushing, mercs, 1v1, team fights, etc). Are there any sub-10k characters that are really versatile in a similar way?

And a silly question: I know the gold cost for heroes get reduced permanently from time to time, but is it ever discounted in a "sale"?

Zagara is amazing, and easily my favorite hero. Maybe sylvanis is another option as far as versatility?

Oh, I hadn't even looked at Sylvanis. I'll take a look at her. I only know her as a really good lane pusher.

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    InqInq Registered User regular
    Inq wrote: »

Sure, but I've been tracking my games. I've noticed a trend where I've been losing way more games than I've been winning, post-launch. Hotslogs is showing a disproportionate amount of white to green. Prior to launch I had a much more healthy win/loss ratio. There was much more green than white, and that's flipped now.

It's not a coincidence, I mean. I know exactly why it's been happening, it's because there's been a huge influx of new players and the matchmaker is terrible. It's just been frustrating in the meantime.

The only solace I can take in this is realizing that it's not me. I have to keep telling myself that each time these stupid losing streaks happen.

The matchmaker changes they've implemented to QM have helped a little bit. But you still get fucky comps most of the time. Yeah sure, no-support teams will get matched with no-support teams, but then the enemy team has double tanks and you have none. Or maybe your sole support is a Tyrande or Tassadar and the enemy team has Uther or Rehgar. Or, both.

So, assuming I pulled up the right profile, I see you as being 25 wins out of 52 games (~48%) since July 1. There are streaks with a lot of losses, but they are pretty much evened out by streaks with a lot of wins. Nothing I see there really indicates bad matchmaking overall.

Now there is one thing that I think will produce a lot of "not fun" games (often blowouts in either direction) for people in here: Playing games in groups with people that have wildly different MMR and/or number of games played. I'm not even sure how you would aim to match a game which has a group of 3 players with ratings of 3000, 2000, and 1000, for example. Hotslogs tends to base calculations on average MMR for a team, but you're going to see weird stuff if you just take 7 players with a 2000 rating to fill out that game (preferably with a group of 3 of those queued together on the other team). Is the 1k rating guy just going to die too much? Will the 3k guy just be so good with pings and play calls that his entire team is more effective then their rating suggests?

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Actually, this might be better for the Stun'thas: http://www.heroesnexus.com/talent-calculator/50-kaelthas?filter-ptr=1#oPMRdRURjRgRiRyAA

If you stick a Living Bomb w/ Pyromaniac on someone and then start throwing out stuns (or even the other way around) you should have nearly 100% uptime on your stun.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    So It Goes wrote: »

I am bronze in HL and platinum in QM

I have come to terms with the fact that I'm just not that good

meh, anecdotally speaking you seem to do fine in the matches we've played together.

For reference, I'm rank 1 and diamond in HL, Platinum in QM

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Hey so, Sonya. I want to like her. She feels like a melee assassin. How do I build her to either take better advantage of that, or, y'know, die less?

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    MMMig wrote: »
    big ol' informative post about stuns and roots and all kinds of CC

ALSO, I feel like it's good to mention Stasis, since that's slowly becoming a bit more prevalent.

Stasis temporarily makes a target completely immune to damage and healing, and temporarily pauses all cooldowns. Stasis DOES NOT interrupt channelled abilities. It merely pauses them. If, for example, you Stasis a Valla using Strafe, the damage stops... for the time being. But resumes immediately when Stasis ends.

There is one notable difference, and that's self-induced Stasis via Ice Block. Ice Block WILL cancel your channelled abilities. Also notably, Malfurion's Tranquility WILL heal up a target if they are encased in Ice Block. I also want to say Rehgar's Ancestral Healing works as well? Not 100% sure on that.

It's a weird one.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Hey so, Sonya. I want to like her. She feels like a melee assassin. How do I build her to either take better advantage of that, or, y'know, die less?

Assassin: http://www.heroesfire.com/hots/talent-calculator/sonya#gTst (swap in Imposing if it's better for that game, or possibly No Escape if they have tons of kite)
    Die less: http://www.heroesfire.com/hots/talent-calculator/sonya#kid0 (4 doesn't really matter, you can also take Shot of Fury or Endless Fury to better use Ferocious Healing)

The assassin build is definitely the preferred build--you do ridiculous amounts of damage with it--but it's probably fine to use the tankier build while you're getting used to her. You can also use Leap in the Assassin build if you're having trouble sticking to targets.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    SupagoatSupagoat Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Sonya loves superiority. Or maybe I just love jungling like mad and soloing boss at 10. And it's going to be even better now that it'll be mercenary lord + superiority

Supagoat on
    bnet: Supagoat#1884
    Switch: 6589-6405-3399
  • Options
    sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2015
    Alright, who wants hero codes? I've got Zeratul, Zagara, and Lili. PM me on Bnet s314der#1279 (or here if you're one of those who happens to be at work).
    All codes claimed! Go forth and slay your enemies in the name of Arcadia!

sPider817 on
    Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Would you guys be interested in reading some in-depth guides on characters, counter-picks, drafting strategy, etc? I'm in the mood to do some writing on the subject of Heroes.

If there's a specific hero you'd like advice on how to play / counter, or you're interested in knowing more about general drafting strats, let me know.

There seem to be a lot of new faces in the thread lately, and some really good questions being thrown around. If I can help to address them in any way, I'd be happy to.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Would you guys be interested in reading some in-depth guides on characters, counter-picks, drafting strategy, etc? I'm in the mood to do some writing on the subject of Heroes.

If there's a specific hero you'd like advice on how to play / counter, or you're interested in knowing more about general drafting strats, let me know.

My Malf (went pure healing) got out-healed by a Brightwing in the match I played yesterday. Felt bad, almost uninstalled (not really (the uninstall part)).

Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Options

There seem to be a lot of new faces in the thread lately, and some really good questions being thrown around. If I can help to address them in any way, I'd be happy to.

Maybe a guide for one of the top tier picks for each hero type?

• Options

I'd be interested in counter-picks. I know some basic stuff, but nothing really in depth. Stuff like "oh they picked Kael/Jaina, let's lock in Zeratul" or "hey they have an autoattack character, let's get Johanna or Muradin"

I'm also curious about when it's better to deviate from the standard draft procedure. As in, when should you go 2-tank or 2-support over the standard 1-tank/1-support/3-assassin.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options

I'd ask for an all-specialist team guide but yeah...

the world isn't ready

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    CyrenicCyrenic Registered User regular

Most of my thinking has been about Map Specific heroes. Some heroes are way better at different maps than others, and I rarely see Hero League Drafts reflect this. I don't know if anyone else would be interested in map specific hero analysis but I'd love to hear other people's opinions on it.

• Options
    Sylvanas -> mines
    Nova -> spider queen and BOE are best
    Zagara -> all maps she's da best

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015

anything about specific hero skills and the heroes that wreck them, or why you'd ban any given hero off the top is something I'd love to read. I'm starting to know generally what each hero can do (by which I only really mean knowing their role by site) but the specific skills and thus their interactions and what shuts them down are way out of my scope

edit - map stuff is cool too. I can read that syl is best on mines, and I know the gimmick of the mine map but I can't put the pieces together as to why she excels there. (I played a looooong AI game as syl so she's a hero I at least know her specific skills)

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Oh sad I missed out on zagara or zera :(. Two people I really could use to play HL games.

I still don't get the huge bashing BW gets. She got nerfed, and hard, and is nothing like she used to be. But she is NOT terrible. Just not as good as other options. But her healing can be good especially if she manages to always be in fights at all times.

I think the buff they gave is going to have a huge exponential effect based on the talents around it. Speccing fully healing BW is going to be like taking malf or Lili's Heroic heal and giving it at half power but lasting forever.

• Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    @sPider817 thank you for the Zeratul code!

A big, one wang salute to you!

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    So far we've got Malf guides, Top-Tier picks for each Role, Map-Specific Heroes / Strategy, Counter-Picks.

I can get to work on that stuff right away. I think I'm most interested in writing about counter-picks at the moment. That's obviously a broad subject in general, but it can be a very narrow subject as well (specific hero counters). I'll do my best to hit everything, but if there's a specific hero you want to know how to counter, let me know and I'll include that information.

• Options
    CyrenicCyrenic Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Sylvanas -> mines
    Nova -> spider queen and BOE are best
    Zagara -> all maps she's da best

Sylvanas is the notable exception. I see her commonly drafted on Mines.

But I never see Murky contested on BoE or Vikings commonly picked on Garden. They're pretty much broken on those maps.

• Options
    Variable wrote: »

edit - map stuff is cool too. I can read that syl is best on mines, and I know the gimmick of the mine map but I can't put the pieces together as to why she excels there. (I played a looooong AI game as syl so she's a hero I at least know her specific skills)

Just to quickly hit this point, Sylvanas' passive means she can shut down buildings. Objective minions like the Haunted Mines golem do a TON of structure damage, but this is mitigated by the fact that Forts and Keeps put a 50% attack speed slow debuff on whoever they're hitting. You keep the fort from attacking your golem? Your golem is attacking twice as fast and the fort becomes dust in no time. Plus the vast majority of the damage the golem actually takes is from buildings; without the damage from their forts/keeps the other team will have a LOT of trouble killing your golem, never mind killing your team around your golem and dodging the stuns and roots the golem can throw out.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Maledict66Maledict66 Registered User regular
    Sylvanas is more than good on mines - she's flat out broken, and should be first picked everytime. If you have sylvanas in your team then as long as you get over 30 skulls your entire team should push with your golem. You can ride the very first golem to the core if you play well. It's *absurd* how powerful she is on that map with a co-ordinated team playing 'protect the sylvanas'c

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »

Just to quickly hit this point, Sylvanas' passive means she can shut down buildings. Objective minions like the Haunted Mines golem do a TON of structure damage, but this is mitigated by the fact that Forts and Keeps put a 50% attack speed slow debuff on whoever they're hitting. You keep the fort from attacking your golem? Your golem is attacking twice as fast and the fort becomes dust in no time. Plus the vast majority of the damage the golem actually takes is from buildings; without the damage from their forts/keeps the other team will have a LOT of trouble killing your golem, never mind killing your team around your golem and dodging the stuns and roots the golem can throw out.
    I don't believe the town hall slow affects golems.