Options

I guess I'm playing Danganronpa

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    The 2nd case was the only one in the first game where I didn't straight up know who the killer was before the trial started, so it has that going for it.

Etiowsa on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I figured everything out far in advance in everything but the very last few cases. It was very frustrating.

I started the second game up, got a few hours in, but it's very, very disappointing so far.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    But the second game is way, way better than the first. Except hangman's gambit, that shit is whack.

• Options
    I guess I have to go to spoilers for 1 and the beginning of 2 then.
    It starts out with a great new premise and then it's just FUCK THAT SHIT here's Monokuma again. They constantly bring up how this is just a video game and a sequel and it needs to be more like the first game. And it just immediately gets really boring. There's sooooooooooo much walking around, the new area is way too big and still has nothing to do or look at beyond the next person you need to talk to.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Man I feel really bad for Taka

• Options
    Okay I am almost done the game, about to start the final trial

It's a shame I was spoiled on who the mastermind is but everything is starting to click together in my head.
    My guess is that the 16th student was amnesia'd to the point where she didn't know who she was, and tricked into thinking she was Junko. Then "Junko" died early at the hands of Monokuma/real Junko and her body is now being used as the final murder victim.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    I love this game, so I'm happy about this thread

also, I request to know who your favorite characters are

so I can see if you've chosen wisely

or if all of your faves are going to bite the dust
    1. Byakuya
    2. Chiaki
    3. GUNDHAM TANAKA
    4. Nekomaru
    5. Ibuki

Man I guess the sequel had a bunch of better characters huh.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I love the first game, but the second game had all the best characters
    1. Mikan
    2. Chiaki
    3. Ibuki
    4. Kazuichi
    5. Sonia

• Options
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I guess I have to go to spoilers for 1 and the beginning of 2 then.
    It starts out with a great new premise and then it's just FUCK THAT SHIT here's Monokuma again. They constantly bring up how this is just a video game and a sequel and it needs to be more like the first game. And it just immediately gets really boring. There's sooooooooooo much walking around, the new area is way too big and still has nothing to do or look at beyond the next person you need to talk to.

Keep playing. It's a long ways to the payoff but...
    Danganronpa 2 is Danganronpa's Metal Gear Solid 2.

The final three chapters are all better than the last. I finished the game at like 5 AM because I couldn't stop until it was over.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    Number two definitely has the best character names
    Peko Pekoyama is the most fun name possible

• Options
    Incorrect.

GUNDHAM TANAKA is.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    No

I won't budge on this

• Options
    you're all wrong, Sonia Nevermind is the greatest name there is

• Options
    Let's do a quick count of who has the most dark devas of destruction

sig.gif
  • Options
    Well, Sonia could conceivably have as many hamsters as she wants

because she's royalty, and can thus purchase a pet store's worth of hamsters

• Options
    Not understanding the love for Byakuya

He's a fucking asshole.
    Who fucks with crime scenes for fun, emotionally abuses people, and is just generally a smug, self-important douchebag.

• Options
    Are you done with the game? I want to talk about Byakuya, but I don't want to spoil stuff.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Incorrect.

GUNDHAM TANAKA is.

Funnily enough, we kept it as "Gundam" throughout most of the editing process, until some of the higher-ups saw it and made us change it to avoid any possible legal issues. We bounced around a few spelling options, but once we put "Gundham" on the board, it wasn't even a question. The hamsters demanded it.

• Options
    Just beat the game.

That was crazyballs in a good way.
    I'm happy that knowing Junko was the bad guy still didn't prepare me for...that. She was pretty awesome.

Interesting how they didn't actually show the real state of the world. Will I find out if Junko was lying or not in the sequel?

• Options

He's a fucking asshole.
    Who fucks with crime scenes for fun, emotionally abuses people, and is just generally a smug, self-important douchebag.

Not understanding the love for Miles Edgeworth

He's a fucking asshole.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Just beat the game.

That was crazyballs in a good way.
    I'm happy that knowing Junko was the bad guy still didn't prepare me for...that. She was pretty awesome.

Interesting how they didn't actually show the real state of the world. Will I find out if Junko was lying or not in the sequel?

There are... developments in the sequel. They throw enough curveballs at you that those questions kind of take a backseat for most of the game.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    <sigh> so I can't beat the 1st rhythm minigame in Chapter 3's trial. No problem, I'll load up a new chapter on a lower difficulty...you mean I can only start at the beginning of the last chapter? Dammit.

Guess I'll just speedrun chapter 2&3 in front of a TV or something.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options

He's a fucking asshole.

He's a fucking asshole.

I don't remember Miles ever being nearly as vile. Though to be fair, I've only played a couple of the AA games.

• Options
    Byakuya is just approaching the game with a cool head and trying to win it. He's the only character in the first game to fully recognize the gravity of the situation.
    It's worth pointing out that as soon as they figure out the game is rigged, he immediately tags along on plan Ultimate Hope.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Byakuya is just approaching the game with a cool head and trying to win it. He's the only character in the first game to fully recognize the gravity of the situation.
    It's worth pointing out that as soon as they figure out the game is rigged, he immediately tags along on plan Ultimate Hope.

None of that has anything to do with him being a giant self-absorbed asshat though.
    He also doesn't actually do much to help himself or anyone win. He just sits there insulting everyone and being smug. For the entire game.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Etiowsa wrote: »

None of that has anything to do with him being a giant self-absorbed asshat though.
    He also doesn't actually do much to help himself or anyone win. He just sits there insulting everyone and being smug. For the entire game.
    He's pretty clutch in the final case, if memory serves.

Additionally, as far as he's concerned, everyone else is gonna die anyway. He doesn't need to become friends with people who are gonna be dead because he's gonna win the game (and he would have won, if things had been as they initially appeared). He just needs to sit back, correct any mistaken deductions on the case (because they still need to find the correct killers if he's gonna live), and wait until the pool is small enough that he can kill the smartest of the other ones and get away with it. He was playing to win.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options

He's a fucking asshole.

He's a fucking asshole.

I don't remember Miles ever being nearly as vile. Though to be fair, I've only played a couple of the AA games.
    Byakuya is a terrible person. He begins the game as a selfish, egotistical monster, and he's still a jerk at the end of the game.

But he's made progress. Only a small amount, sure, but his experiences, especially those relating to Sakura's death have showed him that his views about other people are not always correct, that there are things he doesn't understand about people's emotions.

His progress is incremental, but it's progress. That's why I like his character so much- it's a realistic picture of how a person changes. He doesn't do a complete 180, he doesn't become a selfless hero overnight. He's still a condescending jerk. But he's on the path to becoming better. He's not the best character, but he may be one of the best written characters.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Got a question that I'm hoping someone here can give a clear answer to: I've been given the opportunity to cover Another Episode for Vita, but I've only played through the first Danganronpa. I am told there are heavy spoilers for the 2nd game as well that I would potentially ruin if I jumped into AE first.

However, what I wanted to know was whether those D2 spoilers are presented immediately at the start of AE, or if they occur later on in the game.

I'm considering taking up the offer and play through it to the point where I feel I can formulate a solid opinion of the game, but then refrain from getting further into it to avoid D2 spoilers. Unless it turns out the spoilers happen early on that this would be impossible, in which case I would have to think it over.

• Options

I think you are forgetting the parts where he
    Deliberately sabotages a crime scene to pin it on the wrong person for the sheer fun of it, with no regard for how that's hurtful to the others.

And also how he is straight up abusive towards Toko.

• Options
    Anyway I just started the second game and I'm not sure what to think yet.

It seems interesting but I feel very wary about it for some reason. Like it feels this could go in a direction I find unsatisfying but I'm not sure if I can really elaborate why.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

I think you are forgetting the parts where he
    Deliberately sabotages a crime scene to pin it on the wrong person for the sheer fun of it, with no regard for how that's hurtful to the others.

And also how he is straight up abusive towards Toko.
    Not just for the fun of it. He's rigging things so that he knows how good his opponents are. He'd be able to put things together (in theory) even if no-one else could, but if someone else can, he knows who the biggest threats are, how they react to certain kinds of false evidence, and so on. Useful, assuming you've got 'kill someone, get away with it' on the plan list.

As for Toko... well, both sides of that relationship are so fucked up I don't feel particularly inclined to get in the middle.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I finished trial 2 (like I said, I play games slooow) and:
    first off: god damn it humanity, why is this so difficult for you to get right. Second off: I knew when the floor opened up the locker rooms would be involved somehow, they just had to go that route though. I also thought for a minute detective girl world be the killer because she might know about the hanging is she's a naoto type character. I'm guessing she lasts until the end or close to it though.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    please remember trial 2 next time someone tries to include clumsy gender narratives in their games

and realize that folk let that go by seeing nothing wrong with it

don't forget that we're all capable of fucking up the same way

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Yeah that whole thing was not handled well.

Not handled well at all.

• Options
    I had a conversation with LockedOn before over what caused so much outrage with Trial 2.
    First thing I wanted to verify was that there wasn't a widespread misconception that he was killed as a hate crime. That wasn't the case; granted the revelation of his gender did play a factor into his murder, but it wasn't out of any actual resentment or bias.

Anyway, it seems the big issue was the way everyone reacted upon the revelation of his gender. If that's the case, I get it: it's probably my biggest pet peeve with the first game. The Scooby Doo levels of over-the-top comedic reactions are overplayed to the point that they undermine several scenes that were meant to be legitimately shocking and 100% serious.

You could argue that finding out about the gender does warrant a legitimate surprise if it wasn't A) so flippantly obvious and B) again, played up in an exaggerated manner.

Personally I feel both Trial 2 and 3 killed off its characters far too early. Maybe that was intentional to throw you off, but pretty much all the murder victims during those periods were going through legitimate character development, and it would have been nice to see where they would have gone with that.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I'm saying 'her' for that character

she was instantly and unanimously misgendered by everyone once her "real gender" came out

I realize that pointing this out to snugglesworth probably wont go anywhere
    but I taking the initiative to flip off how terrible that case was

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Honest questions here about that.
    Doesn't Chihiro go into the boys' locker room and refer to...themself in male terms during the murder flashback with Mondo? I can't remember if Chihiro ever actually introduces as a girl or anything earlier, or just doesn't correct anyone that assumes.

And after the reveal, everyone seems to flip back and forth on using he or she. In later chapters they all seem to have settled on one each, but don't ever 'correct' someone else for using the other pronoun. Chihiro isn't there to weigh in on it, obviously. And Alter Ego seems to respond to either during conversations (although I can never keep track on if it can actually hear things or just read what's typed, the game has them typing but them sometimes it just carries on conversations with people, and knows to yell if it hears someone coming). Not that that's exactly concrete evidence.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Dubh wrote: »
    I'm saying 'her' for that character

she was instantly and unanimously misgendered by everyone once her "real gender" came out

I realize that pointing this out to snugglesworth probably wont go anywhere
    but I taking the initiative to flip off how terrible that case was

I would appreciate it if you didn't take the "I won't bother explaining it because you wouldn't understand" stance with me. Just because I may not necessarily agree with your view doesn't mean I should be forbidden from hearing your side of it. If I didn't care at all I wouldn't have asked.
    Also prior to his murder, Chihiro came clean with his gender to Mondo in the hopes that Mondo would start a training regimen from him. That tells me that in the end he wanted to be self-identified as male and wanted to "build up" his image as such. I don't think Chihiro ever said that he desired to be a girl, so it felt more like escapism rather than gender confusion. Forgive me if I'm getting my terminology wrong, but the point is he had decided to self identify as a male and was working towards that.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    it's so terrible and misogynistic that I've decided the writers of that case don't deserve to keep ownership of it

that's all

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    that sorta works for your question too, Reynolds

it hits all the trans tropes but then pulls a "but not actually trans!" sorta thing
    if this was a human being doing this, I wouldn't be batting an eye about whatever their identity is

since it's not a human being, I'm free to call out the misogyny leveraged at trans women
    don't matter if it was intentional or not

Miss me? Find me on: