As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Build your own discussions in the [Super Mario Maker] thread

• Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    How had I not seen that Nintendo championship video before. I mean I'd seen the first bit, but goodness is that gorgeous.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I'm glad they're making it very, very easy to play other people's levels

Because god love them for making such a great level creator

But I do not have the brain for that stuff

I just want to see what other people are making

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I'm glad they're making it very, very easy to play other people's levels

Because god love them for making such a great level creator

But I do not have the brain for that stuff

I just want to see what other people are making

The 100 Marios challenge sounds like exactly the kind of thing I want

• Options
    Jvv5JGg.png
    This is a real screenshot from an actual mainline Mario game what is happening

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Oh my god, customisable sound/visual effects?

This game is too good to be true.

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA-tSzKJyas

Oh geeze these are so good I want to see people make some really magical levels using these.
    There is a Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy one!!!

Moth 13 on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    On the one hand I'm terrified of the horrific nightmares that people will be able to construct with those effects. On the other hand it'll add to some truly amazing stuff.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    On the one hand I'm terrified of the horrific nightmares that people will be able to construct with those effects. On the other hand it'll add to some truly amazing stuff.

I have some ideas . I think there will a be subset for levels that tell a story not just crazy murder farms.

That Boss Trigger will be super useful too.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA-tSzKJyas

Oh geeze these are so good I want to see people make some really magical levels using these.
    There is a Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy one!!!

Holy crap that one at 0:35 is some Final Fantasy shit. The sprites are different but that's totally a SNES-era FF dance animation and I'm pretty sure the music is the intro to 'Samba de Chocobo!'.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Wrong mario thread nvm

King Riptor on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    man john numbers crushed that shit, i hadn't watched that before.

• Options
    https://youtu.be/xWVpFD_A5Rs
    5:20 shows off just about every amiibo costume

oh my god Fox's initial sound effect

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I want to use doors or pipes, in addition to mushroom modifiers, to emulate SM3's big small world aesthetic.

• Options
    hearing the smash luigi's fx come out of the sprite luigi is crazy

• Options
    I love that the Kirby characters have sprites from the NES Kirby games

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ok so now there will actually be amibos that i need.

• Options
    Langly wrote: »

You can get the costumes without the amiibos

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Langly wrote: »

You can get the costumes without the amiibos

oh what how

• Options
    It looks like every time you beat a [Blank] Mario Challenge you unlock one of the 99 costumes at random

Plus people can put them in their levels so I'm guessing people are gonna do that a LOT

Amiibos will just unlock about 50-60 of the costumes, not even all of them, and the specific one for that character

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    oh well then! i still only want the 8-bit mario, that is helpful.

• Options
    8_bit_mario_amiibo_super_mario_maker-700x394.jpg

look at that fucking guy

definitely want the brown one

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    ...that Shulk Amiibo costume was speaking Japanese. Are we to be denied an Amiibo costume that announces that it's Shulk Time?

• Options
    Why do all the Pokemon still make Mario sound effects

Could they not get the rights to the sound effects from their own game

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Why do all the Pokemon still make Mario sound effects

Could they not get the rights to the sound effects from their own game

No. Like I think people underestimate how fucking Strict Pokemon company is unless they're shilling the merch directly.

• Options
    Why would they be able to use the characters and not sound effects

That is nonsensical

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    They could probably only get the stupid bleeps and bloops and not the real "pikachu" and other name calls and realized they sound terrible so they didn't out them in

Probably

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Why would they be able to use the characters and not sound effects

That is nonsensical

Yes this is the standard operating procedure for Pokemon company. Like that the pokemon are there at all is amazing. They've been keeping pokemon out of all the other games with Amiibo functionality and I'd be shocked if they weren't vetoing a stand alone pokemon amiibo line.

• Options
    skinny mario is a cool idea

grumpy gusses ruinin things

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    skinny mario is a cool idea

grumpy gusses ruinin things

It's literally Luigifying him. It's a good thing.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Luigi is better than mario, categorically, so yeah

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    ...that Shulk Amiibo costume was speaking Japanese. Are we to be denied an Amiibo costume that announces that it's Shulk Time?

The characters in the new Xenoblade all have American accents and it legitimately makes me less interested in the game

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I haven't really been hearing great things about the story so may that's just as well.

• Options

Somehow I briefly got tingle mixed up with teemo and I was very confused

• Options
    They could probably only get the stupid bleeps and bloops and not the real "pikachu" and other name calls and realized they sound terrible so they didn't out them in

Probably

The "beeps and bloops" are the real cries . They're copyrighted which is probably why it was easier to not use them at all and just have the sprites.

It's also possible the builds given out aren't 100% final and some minor things aren't implemented . I know a lot of streams have been stressing that

• Options

Probably

The "beeps and bloops" are the real cries . They're copyrighted which is probably why it was easier to not use them at all and just have the sprites.

It's also possible the builds given out aren't 100% final and some minor things aren't implemented . I know a lot of streams have been stressing that

that stuff is a holdover from having a crappy sound card, and it sounds like absolute garbage

I genuinely can't believe they continue to use it, it exemplifies pokemons problem with "it is this way because we do it this way and we always have"

Its the biggest reason I play pokemon with the sound off (other than just usually playing games with the sound off)

• Options

Probably

that stuff is a holdover from having a crappy sound card, and it sounds like absolute garbage

I genuinely can't believe they continue to use it, it exemplifies pokemons problem with "it is this way because we do it this way and we always have"

Its the biggest reason I play pokemon with the sound off (other than just usually playing games with the sound off)

They sound perfectly fine in the current Gen they've all been touched up.

Saying the names has and continues to be a stupid anime thing that conditions kids to remember the names and it's the thing they should stop doing because it's gross.

• Options
    edited August 2015

Probably

They sound perfectly fine in the current Gen they've all been touched up.

Saying the names has and continues to be a stupid anime thing that conditions kids to remember the names and it's the thing they should stop doing because it's gross.

nah

they sound fine, and depending on the pokemon they can make it sound cute or threatening to fit the character

the noises sound like someone slapped a midi keyboard with aboslutely no care in the world and called it a day, and then they continue to use them

its awful, awful sound design

Chincymcchilla on
  • Options
    Pika pika