As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Explosion in Tianjin, Several Dead and Hundreds Injured

13»

• Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    Nbsp wrote: »

The human being that was filming this is almost certainly dead. May their soul rest in peace.

God damn...

I remember seeing early on that the video you've posted was actually a live stream that someone else was recording. The video stops there literally because the transmission cut out, probably as the camera and whoever was operating it got hit by the shockwave and the debris thrown by it.

• Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Forar wrote: »
    According to the news I'm looking at, the death toll is officially up to 112, with 90 more missing, and over 700 injured.

Apparently there were further explosions Saturday morning (allegedly cars in a parking lot going up), and an evacuation radius was expanded to 3 kilometers based on sodium cyanide being found in the area.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    An oral dosage as small as 200-300 mg can be fatal.

Holy shit indeed.

And, apparently, in China if there is no body, you're missing. No matter what. Mostly so that they don't have to pay death benefits to the families of the victims, but also so the death toll doesn't look as bad. So that 112 dead list? Is only who they've found bodies for so far.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    According to the news I'm looking at, the death toll is officially up to 112, with 90 more missing, and over 700 injured.

Apparently there were further explosions Saturday morning (allegedly cars in a parking lot going up), and an evacuation radius was expanded to 3 kilometers based on sodium cyanide being found in the area.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    An oral dosage as small as 200-300 mg can be fatal.

Holy shit indeed.
    And, apparently, in China if there is no body, you're missing. No matter what. Mostly so that they don't have to pay death benefits to the families of the victims, but also so the death toll doesn't look as bad. So that 112 dead list? Is only who they've found bodies for so far.
    People missing were only ~100 as well, wasn't it? ~250 casualties are a lot ofc, but it's still a pretty good number when one km2 of urban region has just been literally flattened.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    Pretty good number? I'm not sure what you mean.

• Options
    MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    I think they are saying that they death toll is surprisingly low (even counting "missing" persons) for an explosion of that size, especially given the urban area is happened in. Which is better than more death, but still not good in the grand scheme of things.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Wait, according to Wikipedia 85 of the 95 missing people are firefighters?

Then they're not missing. You know exactly what happened to those guys. Maybe there's wiggle room on the last 10 people being in the area or not, but the firefighters? If that's actually some tactic for avoiding insurance payouts, its pretty egregious.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Well you can't really go around declaring people dead without some kind of investigation to establish the fact and until then people tend to just be "missing" even though they are presumed dead. It doesn't look good if you declare firefighter A dead and it turns out he was actually home sick and it was firefighter B that took his spot on the crew at this fire.

Numi on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Numi wrote: »
    Well you can't really go around declaring people dead without some kind of investigation to establish the fact and until then people tend to just be "missing" even though they are presumed dead. It doesn't look good if you declare firefighter A dead and it turns out he was actually home sick and it was firefighter B that took his spot on the crew at this fire.

Not totally incorrect, but, unless I'm wildly misremembering, China has a fairly long history of rather hugely underating the death tolls associated with earlier industrial accidents, natural disasters, infrastructure (dam) failures and shipwrecks. Basically any mass death that is not related to terrorism.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    85 firefighters did not swap places on the trucks and just failed to let the govt know they're totally OK and chiming at home.

1) no one is off the truck on a fire like this. That is how you send 100+ firefighters to a blaze like this

2) Theyre dead almost certainly. Saying missing is OK for the first week or so but if they don't move to casualties then it's pretty clearly avoiding pensions.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    There was an article up awhile ago (I think cnn's?) that talked about how the parents of some of the firefighters had been getting no word at all from authorities, so they went to some hotel where they were having a press conference. Hotel staff were told to bar them from going into the room where the officials were. Which caused some noise, unsurprisingly.

And then they barred the press from leaving that room as well, since they had noticed the commotion outside and were going out to talk to the family members.

Yup, good sign when you are barricading the press in.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Trace wrote: »
    Fucking -Sodium Cyanide-

For anyone who doesn't have knowledge about this sort of stuff that's bad news.

Like for everyone, I'll bet dollars to donuts there were plenty of types of acid in that warehouse too. NaCN reacts with acids to form Hydrogen cyanide and here I'll just like wikipedia do the talking.
    A hydrogen cyanide concentration of 300 mg/m3 in air will kill a human within 10–60 minutes.[44] A hydrogen cyanide concentration of 3500 ppm (about 3200 mg/m3) will kill a human in about 1 minute.[44] The toxicity is caused by the cyanide ion, which halts cellular respiration by acting as a non-competitive inhibitor for an enzyme in mitochondria called cytochrome c oxidase. Specifically CN− binds to Fe in the heme subunit in cytochromes, interrupting electron transfer.

Hydrogen cyanide has been absorbed into a carrier for use as a pesticide. Under IG Farben's brand name Zyklon B (German >Cyclone B, with the B standing for Blausäure - "Prussic Acid"),[45] it was used in the German extermination camp mass killing during World War II. The same product is currently made in the Czech Republic under the trademark "Uragan D2". Hydrogen cyanide was also the agent employed in judicial execution in some U.S. states, where it was produced during the execution by the action of sulfuric acid on an egg-sized mass of potassium cyanide.[not specific enough to verify]

Hydrogen cyanide is commonly listed amongst chemical warfare agents known as blood agents.[46] As a substance listed under Schedule 3 of the Chemical Weapons Convention as a potential weapon which has large-scale industrial uses, manufacturing plants in signatory countries which produce more than 30 tonnes per year must be declared to, and can be inspected by, the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons. During the First World War, the United States and Italy used hydrogen cyanide against the Central Powers in 1918. France had used it in combat already in 1916, but this proved to be ineffective due to physical conditions.[47]

Under the name prussic acid, HCN has been used as a killing agent in whaling harpoons.[48] From the mid 18th century it was used in a number of poisoning murders and suicides.[49] Cyanide has also been used in major occurrences of suicide in the 20th century, including the deaths of over 900 people at Jonestown and the mass suicides in 1945 Nazi Germany.

Hydrogen cyanide gas in air is explosive at concentrations over 5.6%.[50] This is far above its toxicity level.

So, all of this is true, yes.

But.

If there were clouds of HCN floating around, we would know. This is an acute toxin, not an accrued exposure thing.

That this seems not to be the case, indicates that there was probably not (much) cross exposure of NaCN with acid. So there's that small good fortune.

NaCN, being a solid or a solution, is much easier to deal with.

VishNub on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I wonder how this is going to play out, since part of the basis of heavyhanded political control is claiming that you're ensuring that innocent people won't get exploded. Accidents or instances of corruption that are minor or are spread over broad areas can be covered up or downplayed, but when you start making terrorists jealous, you've clearly broken your promise.

If I was in charge, I'd be leaning towards a crackdown. Find the people most directly responsible, call them out, and punish them as heavily as possible. Throw blame up the chain as well. Even if it turns out that the problem is systemic and they want to keep that fact covered up, there probably still were rules that could have been followed that would have prevented the explosion from happening.

• Options
    NbspNbsp she laughs, like God her mind's like a diamondRegistered User regular
    How do we know there isn't a cloud of hydrogen cyanide on the loose? What if the cloud rains somewhere populated? Will it cause mass death?

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    I wonder how this is going to play out, since part of the basis of heavyhanded political control is claiming that you're ensuring that innocent people won't get exploded. Accidents or instances of corruption that are minor or are spread over broad areas can be covered up or downplayed, but when you start making terrorists jealous, you've clearly broken your promise.

If I was in charge, I'd be leaning towards a crackdown. Find the people most directly responsible, call them out, and punish them as heavily as possible. Throw blame up the chain as well. Even if it turns out that the problem is systemic and they want to keep that fact covered up, there probably still were rules that could have been followed that would have prevented the explosion from happening.

I'm reminded of the incident involving infant deaths caused by the selling of milk which had been watered down and had dangerous chemicals added to conceal the low protein content from inspectors.

They executed a few people over it.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I'm guessing that a big concern is to prevent panics and riots, which in China, especially one of the biggest cities in the country, is really scary.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »

I'm reminded of the incident involving infant deaths caused by the selling of milk which had been watered down and had dangerous chemicals added to conceal the low protein content from inspectors.

They executed a few people over it.

The Chinese government tends to crack down very heavily on issues that cause risks to the public at large. I wouldn't be surprised if the people responsible for this have already skipped country and made themselves disappear.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Astale wrote: »
    There was an article up awhile ago (I think cnn's?) that talked about how the parents of some of the firefighters had been getting no word at all from authorities, so they went to some hotel where they were having a press conference. Hotel staff were told to bar them from going into the room where the officials were. Which caused some noise, unsurprisingly.

And then they barred the press from leaving that room as well, since they had noticed the commotion outside and were going out to talk to the family members.

Yup, good sign when you are barricading the press in.

A similar article explained how a sizable portion of the firefighters were contractors, i.e. no benefits.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    There's been a bomb explosion in Bangkok

bbc.com/news/world-asia-33963280

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Mmm.

Thought it would be something like this.
    On Monday, Caijing, a Chinese business publication known for its occasional scoops, reported that one of Rui Hai’s stakeholders was Dong Mengmeng, the son of an ex-police chief of the Tianjin port. Although Rui Hai’s official share structure does not include his name, an unnamed source told Caijing that Dong was involved in the company. While the former public-security boss’s son could well be a legitimate private businessman, the nexus of power and money in China is such that the Caijing allegation, if true, raises the specter of corruption in the development of one of northern China’s fastest-growing zones.

On Monday, Caijing, a Chinese business publication known for its occasional scoops, reported that one of Rui Hai’s stakeholders was Dong Mengmeng, the son of an ex-police chief of the Tianjin port. Although Rui Hai’s official share structure does not include his name, an unnamed source told Caijing that Dong was involved in the company. While the former public-security boss’s son could well be a legitimate private businessman, the nexus of power and money in China is such that the Caijing allegation, if true, raises the specter of corruption in the development of one of northern China’s fastest-growing zones.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    The problem is that "involvement" is such a nebulous term that it could mean pretty much anything.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Yea, by itself I don't know that it means anything. He's a stakeholder, okay, but was he an influential one? Did he have something to do with lax regulations or something? I'd imagine most corporate boards have people of similar standing on it.