Options

Indie Games: There Are Only Two Kinds

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Walking Simulator
    Have to go with Walking Simulator because anything that expands the medium while also making capital g Gamers angry is good for the industry as a whole.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Walking Simulator
    Darmak wrote: »
    captaink wrote: »
    I remember a game in development but forget the name. It was a pixel art action RPG where you played some sort of family or clan. Had a Norse feel. It might have been Roguelike, I think you were defending something from evil? Any ideas on the name?

http://www.childrenofmorta.com/

That's the one looks very cool.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Walking Simulator
    walking simulators are way better than games emulating games I didn't like when they first came out years ago.

opinions

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Did anyone grab Energy Hook off of Early Access?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    Kadith wrote: »
    walking simulators are way better than games emulating games I didn't like when they first came out years ago.

opinions

Your face is dumb

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Pander to Nostalgia
    Mr. G wrote: »

hahaha the placeholder UI art when she switches to the axe is mspaint scribbles

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Why not both?
    jpg

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    Everybody should play Heroine's Quest since it is free on Steam

It's like Sierra's Quest for Glory series except you play as a rad lady instead of a swashbuckling dude

So it appeals to the nostalgia as well as third-person walking and puzzle solving

And there are three classes and they all play differently, so yay replayability

Basically I can't say enough good things about it (even though the voice acting is silly, but that has its own charm) and since it's free there's no excuse not to play it unless you don't like adventure games with RPG elements

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    I think Pandering to Nostalgia probably encompasses Walking Simulators as well.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Walking Simulator
    So if anyone needed any more reason to look forward to Eitr, I read that apparently the developers inspiration for the main character was Lagertha from the show Vikings.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Walking Simulator
    I don't have a ton of nostalgia for the things that indie games that pander to nostalgia are trying to make me nostalgic for

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Walking Simulator
    Cool and engaging stories >>>>>>>> fucking pixel platformers

I'm also very fond of the concept of telling those stories through the until just recently very action-centric fps perspective. If anyone would try to make a really storycentric game with some more direct gameplay elements, puzzling, shooting or whatever, alá HL2 I would be so goddamn up for it. But that Tacoma thing, as someone mentioned, seems rad as fuck as well.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    So, speaking of indie games, the limited alpha for Heat Signature, Suspicious Developments's followup to Gunpoint just launched for everyone with the collector's edition mcgummy for Gunpoint.

It's fun! You're a space asshole. You sneak onto people's ships in your border pod, then hit them with a wrench so you can steal their stuff. Good times.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    So, speaking of indie games, the limited alpha for Heat Signature, Suspicious Developments's followup to Gunpoint just launched for everyone with the collector's edition mcgummy for Gunpoint.

It's fun! You're a space asshole. You sneak onto people's ships in your border pod, then hit them with a wrench so you can steal their stuff. Good times.

How do you play that? I have the collectors mcvision of Gunpoint, I've opted into the Heat Sig beta, but when I press Play in Steam, it just launches Gunpoint. Am I missing something?

13iepvv6o8ip.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »

How do you play that? I have the collectors mcvision of Gunpoint, I've opted into the Heat Sig beta, but when I press Play in Steam, it just launches Gunpoint. Am I missing something?

I'm not sure; I just clicked to open and it offered me to play Gunpoint or the Heat Signature alpha

Are you sure you've got the Exclusive Edition and not just the Special Edition?

• Options
    Also on a related note

Heat Signature? Fuckin rad

Its thruster system is comparable to Gunpoint's jump controls, in that you wonder why people haven't been doing it like that for years now.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    Also on a related note

Its thruster system is comparable to Gunpoint's jump controls, in that you wonder why people haven't been doing it like that for years now.

And the autopilot! So convenient!

• Options
    Also on a related note

My actual favorite thing so far might be how death works

Getting thrown out of the airlock and having to catch yourself with your ship finds the perfect balance between punishment and fun, I think

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Pander to Nostalgia
    Also on a related note

Getting thrown out of the airlock and having to catch yourself with your ship finds the perfect balance between punishment and fun, I think

Yeah. The one bad bit is the glitch so you have less time every time even after you die. The 30 second chase is fun. The 15 is a bit more punishing. But hey. That's almost definitely gone in the final version, so...

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    Also on a related note

Yeah. The one bad bit is the glitch so you have less time every time even after you die. The 30 second chase is fun. The 15 is a bit more punishing. But hey. That's almost definitely gone in the final version, so...

Oh, that's a glitch? I guess I assumed it was working as intended, like an added penalty for every death.

I'd be cool with it being gone, though.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    On the topic of Gunpoint and the like

I got started on Ronin and it's pretty fun, if a little repetitive.

I'm guessing the game starts mixing things up a bit after the second hit? So far I haven't really had to put much thought into strategy when clearing out a room.

• Options
    Pander to Nostalgia
    Also on a related note

Oh, that's a glitch? I guess I assumed it was working as intended, like an added penalty for every death.

I think in the same life it's intentional, but I can't imagine it being on purpose after you've clicked "New Life".

• Options
    Also on a related note

I think in the same life it's intentional, but I can't imagine it being on purpose after you've clicked "New Life".

Ooh, got it, I hadn't run into that yet.

Yeah that sounds frustrating.

• Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    I lent my PS4 out to a friend for three months. I get it back tomorrow and finally get to play Rocket League, Galak-Z and Journey! I'm so excited.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Walking Simulator
    Veldrin wrote: »
    On the topic of Gunpoint and the like

I got started on Ronin and it's pretty fun, if a little repetitive.

I'm guessing the game starts mixing things up a bit after the second hit? So far I haven't really had to put much thought into strategy when clearing out a room.

It

Uh

Gets pretty damn hard later on, yeah

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Ronin feels just slightly... unpolished?

Like, it's 95% of the way to giving you all the information you need, so much so that when the game DOESN'T surface information clearly, it becomes way more glaring and apparent

Like, "Hey where exactly is my dude going to end up after he attacks" or "If I jump into a guy, how is that going to alter the trajectory of my jump"

I guess you could chalk that stuff up to getting to know the game and getting better at it, but it feels kind of at odds with just how much control and information the rest of the game gives you

• Options
    So in case anyone's wondering, you shouldn't throw guns in Heat Signature

I just had a pretty good run ended by the fact that I threw a gun to get rid of it and it went off, killing me

I mean it's hilarious, but I thought it might be good knowledge to impart

• Options
    Another Heat Signature story:

So you get missions from space stations, usually something like "Steal this thing from this ship" or "Hijack this ship and bring it back here"

I got an assassination, which is just what it sounds like

Usually, you would just go on the ship in question, beat the guy over the head with your wrench, and call it good

I decided to try something else, though, and hijacked a big ship with lots of weapons, blowing up the target's ship with him in it

Good enough, right?

Well, it turns out, no, because the target was floating in the void, somehow still alive (this might have been a glitch), moving in a straight line with all of the momentum of the ship I'd just blown to pieces.

I try to run him down with my pod, no dice. And then, I remember that I can eject, and while I'm ejected I for some reason don't suffocate, and I can use weapons, so I'll just try to eject out, hit him with my wrench, and remotely pilot the pod back to catch me (I'd done that last bit several times successfully, since it's part of the game's death mechanic)

So I try lining myself up and ejecting a couple of times, usually mistiming my swing or missing him by a few feet, but always ejecting myself so that I was flying towards him instead of "behind" him, to make catching me easier

I decide to attempt it the other way, following his trajectory with my own, so I set my thrusters to max, eject, miss, get ready to catch myself with my pod...

Only I can't.

Because my pod is too far away.

I float off into space, remotely controlling my pod as it gives a prolonged, futile effort to chase me. The colorful nebulas give way to inky blackness with pinpricks of light. As far as I know, my character is still floating away, his pod a distant memory.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Pander to Nostalgia

So you get missions from space stations, usually something like "Steal this thing from this ship" or "Hijack this ship and bring it back here"

Usually, you would just go on the ship in question, beat the guy over the head with your wrench, and call it good

I decided to try something else, though, and hijacked a big ship with lots of weapons, blowing up the target's ship with him in it

Good enough, right?

Well, it turns out, no, because the target was floating in the void, somehow still alive (this might have been a glitch), moving in a straight line with all of the momentum of the ship I'd just blown to pieces.

I try to run him down with my pod, no dice. And then, I remember that I can eject, and while I'm ejected I for some reason don't suffocate, and I can use weapons, so I'll just try to eject out, hit him with my wrench, and remotely pilot the pod back to catch me (I'd done that last bit several times successfully, since it's part of the game's death mechanic)

Having other people die from suffocation is a planned feature, but it's not implemented quite yet.

As for you being able to float safely, the reason you die is supposedly bleeding out, not suffocating, so your suit must have a pretty good oxygen supply.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    I hope someone makes a Warframe mod for Heat Signature at some point. I get a Warframe vibe from just the base game.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGdjkc7dLp8
    Volume is out tomorrow

I just remembered Andy Serkis is the bad guy in it, so that's cool

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
  • Options
    So I'm trying the Xbox demo of Elite Dangerous

OH MY GOD ELITE DANGEROUS IS SO COOL

All I did was do the tutorial for how to leave a spaceport and it was a goddamned thrillride

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Walking Simulator

All I did was do the tutorial for how to leave a spaceport and it was a goddamned thrillride

You need to do the one where you fly to another spaceport

You don't really get a sense of what exactly the scale they're working with until then

• Options

Good enough, right?

Having other people die from suffocation is a planned feature, but it's not implemented quite yet.

As for you being able to float safely, the reason you die is supposedly bleeding out, not suffocating, so your suit must have a pretty good oxygen supply.

So you're saying I need to try that again before the alpha is over and it's fixed...

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia

You don't really get a sense of what exactly the scale they're working with until then

Elite:Dangerous is super cool, until you realize there isn't much of a game to it. Like, navigation and docking is so fun, but the rest of it is just so boring.

I managed to grind my way to an Asp with trading and I couldn't bring myself to play anymore to get the upgrades for proper exploration. It took me almost the entire series of Cosmos playing on my second monitor to get into that ship.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Walking Simulator
    It's very much a sandbox, and they absolutely need more content, but i had a good 20 hours or more fun with it just doing rare good trading to buy and outfit my asp then go exploring the stars. It's very calm (mostly) and satisfying.

I haven't played in a few months but will always keep it installed in case I feel the need to go back out and find more remote star systems.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular

Elite:Dangerous is super cool, until you realize there isn't much of a game to it. Like, navigation and docking is so fun, but the rest of it is just so boring.

I managed to grind my way to an Asp with trading and I couldn't bring myself to play anymore to get the upgrades for proper exploration. It took me almost the entire series of Cosmos playing on my second monitor to get into that ship.

I think there is a game there, somewhere. It's just so far away from the start that most players will never see it. I know there's crazy shit going on way out there in deep space, but there isn't anything in game (that I can find) to point me in the right direction.

This discussion has been closed.