As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Indie Games: There Are Only Two Kinds

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    uh

it turns out i'm really terrible at bullet hells

at this rate it is actually impossible for me to finish undertale

Try paying for Temmie's colleg. It'll let you buy an armor that makes the game too easy.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Walking Simulator
    which fight are you stuck on? something early?

i'm not really stuck on anything I'm just dying a lot to enemies in this very first dungeon thing with goatmom

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I really like Undyne's fight. Also her boss music:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1vLyHQcwRM
    I didn't realize I could run away until I went through her entire attack pattern all the way to the end where she just keeps throwing the exact same thing at you.

Gundi on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia

i'm not really stuck on anything I'm just dying a lot to enemies in this very first dungeon thing with goatmom

ha ha wow, yeah you ARE bad at it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BertezBertezBertezBertez Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Walking Simulator
    uh

it turns out i'm really terrible at bullet hells

at this rate it is actually impossible for me to finish undertale

Where are you at?

I never really found it that hard playing as a pacifist but I would also stock up on health items that let you brute force through fights. Money is never really that hard to come by so don't be too concerned with "wasting" items.
    Have you done the piano puzzle?

BertezBertez on
    ...but I would say that

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Walking Simulator

spacial recognition and quick reflexes are not my strong suits

• Options
    BertezBertezBertezBertez Registered User regular
    Walking Simulator
    Most of the ruins enemies have a space in the square where bullets won't touch you. Try to find that

...but I would say that

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Take more than one candy from the dish. No one will knoooooow

• Options
    NeoToma wrote: »
    Take more than one candy from the dish. No one will knoooooow
    you evil monster

• Options

spacial recognition and quick reflexes are not my strong suits
    Look at my post! Let if fill you with...
    determination! (I actually found the first area harder than the next few that come after it, if only because you really aren't used to playing the game.)

• Options
    Also I would suggest not fully committing to not being a pacifist because uh...
    uh...
    if you do you're committing yourself to having a bad time.

• Options
    Walking Simulator
    Oh make absolutely no mistake I will not even be injuring a single individual in this game unless I am utterly required to do so to avoid killing anyone.

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Yeah pacifist is hard mode, so that would explain it. Playing it no kill on your first time through is gonna be rough, but not impossible.

• Options
    Well then this won't be a spoiler for you but:
    If you commit to killing everyone you meet you are subjected to an insane, trolley, unbelievably difficult boss to punish you for behaving poorly. And seriously he is no joke he's as bullet hell as bullet hell gets.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    Just murder everything

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Walking Simulator
    Oh make absolutely no mistake I will not even be injuring a single individual in this game unless I am utterly required to do so to avoid killing anyone.

Yeah, this is what I did, too

If you get REALLY stuck simply 'cuz of your skill level, I can tell you how to use CheatEngine to lock your HP.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Walking Simulator
    Monsters are people too!

Well, not really

But you get the idea!

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Darmak wrote: »
    Just murder everything
    Don't murder everything the game eventually gets way harder that way.

Gundi on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    Gundi wrote: »
    Just murder everything

Murder no-one.

Because it might make a skeleton unhappy.

You could even say...

he'd have a bone to pick with you

• Options
    Pander to Nostalgia
    Just murder everything

Murder the game too

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    Kill some people

Don't kill some people

Balance in all things.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Walking Simulator
    Stilts wrote: »

If you get REALLY stuck simply 'cuz of your skill level, I can tell you how to use CheatEngine to lock your HP.
    this might get me to play undertale

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Just murder everything

Murder no-one.

Because it might make a skeleton unhappy.

You could even say...

he'd have a bone to pick with you
    You'll feel your sins crawling on your back.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    Stilts wrote: »

this might get me to play undertale

Saves are super easy to modify in Undertale apparently, so you can give yourself infinite money and such too.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    You don't have to kill everyone, just anyone dumb enough to pick a fight with you

I'm sure they'll figure it out eventually

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Walking Simulator
    I am way more interested in the concept of not hurting anyone than the concept of nonlethally killing them

And, to go one further, engaging them with active empathy rather than not hurting them by avoiding them

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Pander to Nostalgia
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    You don't have to kill everyone, just anyone dumb enough to pick a fight with you

I often murder everything in games when given the option. Obvious badmans attacking me, innocent civilians, my own allies, fluffy wildlife, robots, aliens, plants, etc.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited October 2015

I often murder everything in games when given the option. Obvious badmans attacking me, innocent civilians, my own allies, fluffy wildlife, robots, aliens, plants, etc.
    ccc.png

Gundi on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    I am way more interested in the concept of not hurting anyone than the concept of nonlethally killing them

And, to go one further, engaging them with active empathy rather than not hurting them by avoiding them
    it's interesting to note how little mechanical difference there is between killing people and sparing them, hey

you are engaging them empathetically, I think. you only have to do it for any particular monster once, and the interface for it is a bit limited - you can basically just go through every ACT option until you solve it. but the solution is generally to do with finding out the monster's emotional needs

like there's one monster, moldbygg, where the trick is to refuse to hug it, thus respecting its personal boundaries. and there are powered-up versions of the first level's enemies which you beat by reminding them of their humble origins

but it still feels like you're beating them. like, they still disappear in a cloud of smoke, you're still encouraged to farm them for gold

so it still feels kind of violent, even though it's very pointedly presenting itself as an alternative to violence

I feel like it's difficult to subvert RPG mechanics without constantly returning back to, and even affirming, them. like if you're trying to define yourself by what you're not you end up just kind of legitimizing the thing you're defining yourself against

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    If you meet God while playing Undertale, kill him

• Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular

Perhaps you would enjoy Kagero, a game on PS1 about setting traps in your castle to murder hapless visitors, and later, visitors that have enough sense to arm themselves, but not enough to refrain from leaping into your jaws.

It is the only game I've played where being the villain is the more rewarding and satisfying choice.
    There are more games in the series (Deception), but I keep forgetting about them and then not playing them, so I couldn't tell you whether they're any good.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    the deception series took a decidedly more goofy turn at some point

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

half life 3 confirmed?

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Walking Simulator
    Half Life :D confirmed

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Pander to Nostalgia
    Cromarty wrote: »

Perhaps you would enjoy Kagero, a game on PS1 about setting traps in your castle to murder hapless visitors, and later, visitors that have enough sense to arm themselves, but not enough to refrain from leaping into your jaws.

It is the only game I've played where being the villain is the more rewarding and satisfying choice.
    There are more games in the series (Deception), but I keep forgetting about them and then not playing them, so I couldn't tell you whether they're any good.

I'd heard about the Deception series but I never got around to playing any of them

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    That moment when you just barely get your 3 low health ranged classes clear of getting flanked in massive chalice , and you go to Smoke Bomb them to get them fully clear....

And you throw an explosive vial at them instead by accident and murder them all :bigfrown:

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Pander to Nostalgia
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    Half Life :D confirmed

Well, they're skipping directly over to Half Life 8-), but there might be a comic to fill in the gap.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Cromarty wrote: »

I'd heard about the Deception series but I never got around to playing any of them

Deception is neat and the 4th one is on PS4 and it remains neat.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    Yes hello all Deception games are great

This discussion has been closed.