As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Rare Replay: A Bear, a Piñata and a Secret Agent walk into a disc

13»

• Lou29Lou29 Registered User regular
    Perfect Dark, we used to be cool. And now on Secret Agent difficulty, you start stockpiling guys behind a door during a cutscene, so there's literally 20 of them when the scene ends and I can't use a grenade or Elvis dies? And you turned Jonathan into a squinty simpleton who likes to just stand in front of 3 guys unloading automatic weapons while he yells "Cover me!", but runs around me and toward them in an attempt to headbutt their rifle barrels? You've changed, I don't think we can be friends anymore.

• TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    The way cutscenes and enemies interacted with each other in Perfect Dark was always so weird and interesting.
    Like, the first Area 51 level, where there was a patrolling guard who would be in a different part of his route depending on how much of the opening cutscene you watched. If you skipped it as soon as it started, he'd be in front of you and spot you immediately. If you watched a few seconds, you could get the jump on him.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    The cut scene timings were pretty important when you wanted to do the speed runs so certain doors would be open and certain guards with keys would be around.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Lemme tell you guys about a fella named Gregg Mayles

Joined the company in 1989

Designer on Battletoads and Donkey Kong Country

One of the creators of Diddy Kong

Creative director of Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie

Did design work on Donkey Kong 64, Conker, and Star Fox Adventures

His most recent projects were directing Viva Pinata and Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts

And now he is the creative director of Sea of Thieves

So

Be excited about Sea of Thieves

6F32U1X.png
    Raijin QuickfootEtchwartsnicopernicusBlankZoe
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    But can he direct

my heart

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Rare going from the buyout, to producing poorly recieved games like Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero, to producing amazing and clever games like Viva Pinata and Nuts and Bolts, to then getting stuck on the Kinect/Avatar bullshit train is the saddest goddamn thing.

Here's hoping Sea of Thieves does indeed recapture that magic.

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Lou29 wrote: »
    Perfect Dark, we used to be cool. And now on Secret Agent difficulty, you start stockpiling guys behind a door during a cutscene, so there's literally 20 of them when the scene ends and I can't use a grenade or Elvis dies? And you turned Jonathan into a squinty simpleton who likes to just stand in front of 3 guys unloading automatic weapons while he yells "Cover me!", but runs around me and toward them in an attempt to headbutt their rifle barrels? You've changed, I don't think we can be friends anymore.

there was a single player in perfect dark?

I just remember rocking the split screen my buddies and I vs bots

a legacy that was not matched until Timesplitters

icGJy2C.png
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Ok yeah, Battletoads is pretty cool. The Turbo Tunnel is bonkers hard though, so I freely admit to abusing the rewind.

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Even with rewind I can't beat clinger winger.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Not enough people talk about how hardcore it is that Banjo-Tooie opens with Bottles getting blown the hell up

6F32U1X.png
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Not enough people talk about how hardcore it is that Banjo-Tooie opens with Bottles getting blown the hell up

Did they end up fixing the audio de-sync from the 360 version of that scene? I was pretty annoyed when that happened back in the day.