Options

[Fallout 4] 2 Fast 2 Furious

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Emberquick wrote: »
    Fallout Shelter!

I'm at 190 dwellers and things are running pretty smoothly, but I'm running out of space to put newbs and don't want to add rooms right now.

The solution is to send them into the wasteland. The strong will survive, and the lucky will find loot good enough for you to spare them.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Fallout Shelter!

I'm at 190 dwellers and things are running pretty smoothly, but I'm running out of space to put newbs and don't want to add rooms right now. They're just chilling in various (same-sex) living quarters in the meantime.

I thought maybe I could put some of the high Endurance ones in warehouses, since storage rooms list "E" as their relevant stat, but I can't tell what benefit you get by manning the storage rooms--is there one?

Also, another SPECIAL-related question: one of the loading screen hints say that each SPECIAL stat helps a wasteland explorer in a specific way: is there a list somewhere of how each stat helps? Some are obvious, but what does high Perception or Charisma do for you outside the vault?

I'm pretty sure the specials help with some of the non-combat encounters you can get like trying to sneak around raiders, dealing with traveling merchants, etc.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Well its not the dancing its the fucking they do after it.

Fun fact:

Due to censorship and decency standards of the day, smoking, dancing, and a whole host of other non-sexual actions have become stand-ins for sex in film. Makes Bollywood dance numbers a lot more suspicious.

One of my favorite webcomics has now put the thought in my head that a high level set of armor should be extra large novelty Mickey Mouse boxers with chest holsters.

Anyone else wonder if and when Bethesda will stop pushing graphic changes and have an entire generation where everything else gets improved?

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

Fun fact:

Due to censorship and decency standards of the day, smoking, dancing, and a whole host of other non-sexual actions have become stand-ins for sex in film. Makes Bollywood dance numbers a lot more suspicious.

One of my favorite webcomics has now put the thought in my head that a high level set of armor should be extra large novelty Mickey Mouse boxers with chest holsters.

Anyone else wonder if and when Bethesda will stop pushing graphic changes and have an entire generation where everything else gets improved?

When more players and reviewers don't include the words "dated graphics" in their commentary? :P

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    EmberquickEmberquick Master of Dungeons Deep UndergroundRegistered User regular
    Fallout Shelter!

I'm at 190 dwellers and things are running pretty smoothly, but I'm running out of space to put newbs and don't want to add rooms right now. They're just chilling in various (same-sex) living quarters in the meantime.

I thought maybe I could put some of the high Endurance ones in warehouses, since storage rooms list "E" as their relevant stat, but I can't tell what benefit you get by manning the storage rooms--is there one?

Also, another SPECIAL-related question: one of the loading screen hints say that each SPECIAL stat helps a wasteland explorer in a specific way: is there a list somewhere of how each stat helps? Some are obvious, but what does high Perception or Charisma do for you outside the vault?

I'm pretty sure the specials help with some of the non-combat encounters you can get like trying to sneak around raiders, dealing with traveling merchants, etc.

That makes sense. My inner CRPG geek wishes that you could switch on the mechanics of the encounter rolls so you could see what stats were helpful for each encounter, though. Then I could customize my explorers' gear based on what I want them to bring back to the vault . . . .

Does anyone know why you would station people in storage rooms? Do they gain XP while in there?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    As far as I could tell, it was only useful for cheering up the depressed dwellers that enjoy counting beans.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    EmberquickEmberquick Master of Dungeons Deep UndergroundRegistered User regular
    has anyone else with Mr.Handy noticed a number of boxes in their warehouse equal to how many they have going?

Yeah, and I've also notice that if you destroy a storage room with a Mr. Handy box in it, the box jumps to another storage room that doesn't have one.

Based on that, my guess would be that you can't have more Mr. Handys than you do warehouses. Not sure why, though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Nah you can have as many mr handy's as you have floors to put them on. I have two warehouses, I have 3 mr handys.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FuzzytadpoleFuzzytadpole Registered User regular
    Are Mr Handy's a pay only thing, or can you find them?

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    you can pull them from lunchboxes, I've heard

• Options
    FuzzytadpoleFuzzytadpole Registered User regular
    Cool.

• Options
    My guy in the wasteland dinged level 50 at some point

3 days out

Still has 3 stimpacks

You champion, you

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular

Fun fact:

When more players and reviewers don't include the words "dated graphics" in their commentary? :P

Basically this. No one who was around for the announcement of Fallout 4 just recently could avoid all the idiots screeching about how 'dated' the graphics looked, comparing them to Witcher 3 and such.

To me, all Bethesda would have had to do would be to take Skyrim graphics with all the best hi-res mods that have been created, and that'd be some plenty awesome graphics.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Elendil wrote: »
    you can pull them from lunchboxes, I've heard

I can confirm this, as I got one of my handys from a lunchbox.

Man that sounds really bad.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    My guy in the wasteland dinged level 50 at some point

3 days out

Still has 3 stimpacks

You champion, you

The one I sent out with a missile launcher two days ago hit 50 as well. She's used 2 of the 20 stims she went out with so far.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    I need to boost my slayer of the waste. She's using a decent amount of stims and she's in power armor with a railway rifle.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I need to boost my slayer of the waste. She's using a decent amount of stims and she's in power armor with a railway rifle.

Power armor is neat, but armor seems to just be about stats so it doesn't make a dweller more durable in combat. The big thing with my long distance explorer seems to be the weapon. I've had other max endurance dwellers out with less damaging weapons and they seemed to take more damage from encounters while Miss-toting-a-missile-launcher only takes 2 damage from deathclaw encounters.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Yeah I figured armor isn't as important as the state boost. But a railway is a decent rifle, I'm just leaving her out there for as long as I can someone mentioned something about passing through a depot around the two day mark or something.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Yeah, the weapon definitely makes the largest impact.

I made it all the way to a day and a half with Mr. Burke before I had to turn him around. Buuut he found a plasma rifle and 7k caps along the way so I have great hopes for the next expedition.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Any game with excellent animation chops can get away with "dated graphics", imo, which is where I think Fallout should go

But adding more polys and increasing the resolution of textures to ridiculous proportions is the easy way to go these days

(Though the lighting model in FO4 looks great)

• Options
    I'm just going to download a 4k texture pack anyway, so the textures it ships with makes no difference. Like you say, better animations and related transitions are the sort of thing that can really make a game stand out and even works well in the "LOOK AT HOW GREAT OUR GAME LOOKS!" department, and don't tend to be done by modders without being exceedingly rare or just ridiculously nonsensical.

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Any game with excellent animation chops can get away with "dated graphics", imo, which is where I think Fallout should go

But adding more polys and increasing the resolution of textures to ridiculous proportions is the easy way to go these days

Which makes me sad that the animations, form the trailers, don't look that great. There's one in that gameplay trailer where a woman is victorious in this caged arena type of place and her victory animation looks like complete shit. Its cringe worthy. And its like damnit, five seconds earlier a synth was getting shot in the head and the skin peeled away to reveal a weird mechanical face underneath, so I know you can do great things.

Look, Bethesda, everyone knows you suck at animations. And I'm not asking for EA or Ubisoft levels here (Ubisoft's inability to animate women being ignored, har har) but at least god damn try.

I will love Fallout 4, I am so sure of it, but Bethesda has never been good at animations and I suspect never will.

@BRIAN BLESSED is incredibly astute - I never thought of animations that way. You're right, they really are one of the top ways a game can slow down being dated. And the animations in Bethesda's games do actively take me out of the world sometimes.

Jesus christ, you couldn't run 'diagonally' in F3. At least they fixed that in Skyrim.

And it wouldn't be so bad if gamebyro wasn't so inflexible in regards to modding animations. Your option for a lot of functional animations like shooting and stuff is merely to replace an existing one. Canned animations like vanity ones can be added, but good luck adding a new weapon holding stance, etc.

OpposingFarce on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Started a new vault to play around with layouts

Got to 20 dwellers and then had all of them but four killed by invulnerable radroaches. By the time I realized what was happening I was out of stimpacks so quitting and reloading just meant my men and women in blue suits barely finished off the now killable radroaches while dropping like flies themselves.

I would just start over but I got some really nice loot from my initial lunchboxes at the start of this vault (Tuned Gatling Laser, Lead Belcher minigun, Tuned Plasma Rifle)

I really didn't want to buy lunchboxes for this vault but I don't think it's salvageable without some. Never thought I'd be praying for 500 cap cards

• Options
    "Stop 21 fires: lunchbox

And so began Bryan Green's day in hell

*builds level 1 power room*

Rushrushrushrushrushrushrushrushrush

"Stop 14 incidents: lunchbox"

And so continues Bryan Green's day in hell

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Just noticed they let you rename weapons in Fallout 4.

For those of us who absolutely must have rename their laser sniper rifle "ass blaster".

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Just noticed they let you rename weapons in Fallout 4.

For those of us who absolutely must have rename their laser sniper rifle "ass blaster".

I just installed bulletstorm and don't need a reminder about how fun it was to shoot people in the ass.

• Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Prohass wrote: »
    Seamless? Do you mean no interior cells? There will definitely be loading times for interior cells, purely because of how many physical objects they have in the game, no matter how good your engine or tech is you can't handle that many permenant (they aren't just resetting physics objects, they actually have to remember the location for every object after it's been moved) physical objects in the world without loading screens

Although this hasn't been confirmed I would imagine they would've been touting it as a feature if there were no loads

I'm hoping that they are quicker, less of them and hopefully nothing separating cities or towns

Umm actually, multiple interviews have hinted at a seamless completely loadingscreen-free gameworld, and the latest one has all but confirmed it. At least according to this video about it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7w_O4b3URM

For some reason I'm unable to locate the original Blah Trends Todd Howard interview, but from all the second hand sources, one thing is clear, no loading screens to enter buildings has been confirmed. Hopefully it's true.

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I find that really unlikely without a new engine at least, but suppose we'll see!

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I find that really unlikely without a new engine at least, but suppose we'll see!

Yeah, not saying it can't be done, but I am skeptical. It was just so pivotal to previous iterations of the gamebryo/creation engine working. Although I guess they've had the time to work on it.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

I always felt that animations were an extremely weak point in Bethesda's games. When in third-person in Skyrim, it feels like your character is a head programmed to always be exactly X feet from the ground, and just happens to have the rest of the body underneath it.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Seamless? Do you mean no interior cells? There will definitely be loading times for interior cells, purely because of how many physical objects they have in the game, no matter how good your engine or tech is you can't handle that many permenant (they aren't just resetting physics objects, they actually have to remember the location for every object after it's been moved) physical objects in the world without loading screens

Although this hasn't been confirmed I would imagine they would've been touting it as a feature if there were no loads

I'm hoping that they are quicker, less of them and hopefully nothing separating cities or towns

Umm actually, multiple interviews have hinted at a seamless completely loadingscreen-free gameworld, and the latest one has all but confirmed it. At least according to this video about it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7w_O4b3URM

For some reason I'm unable to locate the original Blah Trends Todd Howard interview, but from all the second hand sources, one thing is clear, no loading screens to enter buildings has been confirmed. Hopefully it's true.

I know Danny O'Dwyer from Gamespot saw it at Gamescom and said there were short loads.

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    I think there was some hope about open buildings because, in the intro scene, the main character is shown in his house both looking out the window and seeing what's happening outside, as well as opening the door when the Vault-Tec representative comes by.

I think there are probably going to be some open buildings... generally the smaller ones like houses and garages, but with loading screens used for either larger buildings, or ones where particularly script-ey sequences take place. Keep in mind that even though consoles are better now with the latest generation, they are still a bottleneck.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    The only way I can see them fulfilling a "no loading screen" promise is to load all adjacent cells in the background and hope that the player isn't able to cross the border between cells before it finishes loading . A larger feat than loading just your own cell to be sure, but more manageable than loading the entire game world.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

I always felt that animations were an extremely weak point in Bethesda's games. When in third-person in Skyrim, it feels like your character is a head programmed to always be exactly X feet from the ground, and just happens to have the rest of the body underneath it.

Yeah, there's a reason why animation mods are popular in bethesda games. Honestly I think it's them just shortening the work load for themselves so they can focus on other aspects of the game, which is alright, I suppose, since ultimately it's fun that determines the final verdict on a video game. But jagged animations *can* be an eye-sore.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    There are usually open buildings and closed buildings. The open ones are small.

• Options
    The loading times between area transitions seemed almost non existent in the leaked Gamescom footage but then again, that was show footage and they could have tinkered with that I guess.

• Options
    Gamebryo transitions can be pretty quick if both the area you're coming from and area you're loading into are fairly small and empty without a lot of clutter around (I think the always-fucked-up physics engine is what causes a lot of issues, but that's just guesswork on my part)

Still, maybe they streamlined it somehow. That would be nice. Some of it probably has to do with memory leaks, too.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Hopefully Fallout 4 will be the first game to load faster as you spend more time playing because you are consuming all the clutter and bullshit for resources to make your town.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    That moment when you realize you've had a dweller out in the wasteland for hours when it could probably survive one at most.

Fuuuuccckk..

EDIT: Wait, what the hell? He's still alive?

Huh. Not bad considering I basically sent him out to die.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Had my first deathclaw attack, managed to only lose a couple yabbos and killed all the deathclaws by floor 4? I think. Not bad considering all my guns were on the top floor and god damn death claws move fast.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.