As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallout 4] 2 Fast 2 Furious

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Oh boy. Word of warning. PS4 player is just as clueless as the others. Though he does seem to discover something that alot of other streamers missed at the beginning (first "dungeon" spoiler):
    Mole Rat den right next to Red Rocket Station. Also Brain Fungus. Looks EXACTLY as the name says.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Oh boy. Word of warning. PS4 player is just as clueless as the others. Though he does seem to discover something that alot of other streamers missed at the beginning (first "dungeon" spoiler):
    Mole Rat den right next to Red Rocket Station. Also Brain Fungus. Looks EXACTLY as the name says.

Does he at least know how to sneak and hack computers ?

• HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    So I'm going to go ahead and assume that as a Bethesda game, stealth and intelligence will be king and I want lockpicking and hacking. Huh, seems to fit in nicely with my idea of the Sole Survivor being an ex-military physicist:
    STR 3 (armourer)
    PER 4 (locksmith)
    END 1 - being a physicist
    CHA 6 (local leader)
    INT 9 (nuclear physicist, science, engineer, hacker) - also xp for the xp god
    AGI 3 (sneak)
    LUC 2

Can work in more END and AGI as they become more experienced with the Wasteland. Has there been any confirmation about the function of Bobbleheads this time around? Seems 1 per SPECIAL to increase each stat by 1, maybe 1 per perk to give a free perk level? But I thought that was done by skill books now...

(I'm already pretty into this, by the way)

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

It's weird watching so many of these people leave loot lying around and not checking out new gear they do loot.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Huggles wrote: »
    So I'm going to go ahead and assume that as a Bethesda game, stealth and intelligence will be king and I want lockpicking and hacking. Huh, seems to fit in nicely with my idea of the Sole Survivor being an ex-military physicist:
    STR 3 (armourer)
    PER 4 (locksmith)
    CHA 6 (local leader)
    AGI 3 (sneak)
    LUC 2

Can work in more END and AGI as they become more experienced with the Wasteland. Has there been any confirmation about the function of Bobbleheads this time around? Seems 1 per SPECIAL to increase each stat by 1, maybe 1 per perk to give a free perk level? But I thought that was done by skill books now...

If the non-special bobbleheads work like the magazines then they should give a unique perk not available elsewhere.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    edited November 2015
    Foomy wrote: »
    STR 3 (armourer)
    PER 4 (locksmith)
    CHA 6 (local leader)
    AGI 3 (sneak)
    LUC 2

If the non-special bobbleheads work like the magazines then they should give a unique perk not available elsewhere.

At least one non-special bobblehead has been leaked so far.
    The speech one gives merchants an extra 100 caps to barter with.

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    edited November 2015
    M-Vickers wrote: »

Haven't gotten there yet. He did break two bobby pins on a novice lock, and has managed to level up twice in about 10 minutes. . .and not choose a perk.

It's weird watching so many of these people leave loot lying around and not checking out new gear they do loot.

The dude has passed by so much shit. I'm like are you kidding me? Or he just takes a couple of items and leaves the modded weapon and/or armor piece. And yea he's not checked ANYTHING.

Here's a review. Nothing particularly spoilery (certainly doesn't spoil the beginning). Their complaint. A 100+ hour games takes too long to get going. I. . .guess.

ED! on
  • arakis99arakis99 Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    57 hours.

In just 9 hours, we'll be 48 hours away !

y'all have a problem

Yes we do. The problem is that the game isn't out right now! 8-)

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    News at 11, man who doesn't like exploring in RPGs dislikes RPGs where most of your time is spent exploring. More at the top of the hour.

Now the dialogue/story complaints I'm inclined to take at face value, since that was never Bethesda's strong suit. But it's doubtful that I'll care too much. As long as its not worse than Fallout 3, which is doubtful, I think we'll be fine.

. . .and after 10 minutes of (MS conference Concord scene talk):
    sniping raiders with his mini gun from the roof, he dies to the Deathclaw - which I had never seen in any of the leaked footage.

It was a glorious death. Well deserved. After the 15th "Level the fuck up!" nag from the game. . .I wanted the guy dead too.

STR 3 (armourer)
    PER 4 (locksmith)
    CHA 6 (local leader)
    AGI 3 (sneak)
    LUC 2

I'm starting with Cha 4, for Lone Wanderer. I'll get local leader eventually, but I have a feeling the settlement building comes a bit later in the game, so I'm delaying raising Charisma until then.

Otherwise, I'm going for a similar build - the max of each stat is dictated by the perks I want right away.

• Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote:

Ugh, I watched one streamer try to hack one miserable password for 20 minutes a few days ago. It was just painful to watch. Didn't even try to think it through or use brackets to eliminate selections. Just chose three words at random then exited the terminal and tried another three random choices. Pure agony to watch.

STR 3 (armourer)
    PER 4 (locksmith)
    CHA 6 (local leader)
    AGI 3 (sneak)
    LUC 2

I'm starting with Cha 4, for Lone Wanderer. I'll get local leader eventually, but I have a feeling the settlement building comes a bit later in the game, so I'm delaying raising Charisma until then.

Otherwise, I'm going for a similar build - the max of each stat is dictated by the perks I want right away.

Lone wanderer is cha 3, if you wanted that extra point for something else.

• HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    You want CHA 4 for Mr Dogwoofington

• HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    M-Vickers wrote:

Ugh, I watched one streamer try to hack one miserable password for 20 minutes a few days ago. It was just painful to watch. Didn't even try to think it through or use brackets to eliminate selections. Just chose three words at random then exited the terminal and tried another three random choices. Pure agony to watch.

I played all of Fallout 3 and never knew this was a thing until this thread. Thats how I thought the mini-game worked unless you where lucky.

Hellbore on
    Hellbore wrote: »
    M-Vickers wrote:

I played all of Fallout 3 and never knew this was a thing until this thread. Thats how I thought the mini-game worked unless you where lucky.

To their credit, the delay penalty seems to have been removed from this game.

Haven't gotten there yet. He did break two bobby pins on a novice lock, and has managed to level up twice in about 10 minutes. . .and not choose a perk.

The dude has passed by so much shit. I'm like are you kidding me? Or he just takes a couple of items and leaves the modded weapon and/or armor piece. And yea he's not checked ANYTHING.

Here's a review. Nothing particularly spoilery (certainly doesn't spoil the beginning). Their complaint. A 100+ hour games takes too long to get going. I. . .guess.

I only bothered with a handful streams - in the end, rather than stopping due to fear of spoilers, I stopped because it was literally to painful to watch them play.

• Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    News at 11, man who doesn't like exploring in RPGs dislikes RPGs where most of your time is spent exploring. More at the top of the hour.

Now the dialogue/story complaints I'm inclined to take at face value, since that was never Bethesda's strong suit. But it's doubtful that I'll care too much. As long as its not worse than Fallout 3, which is doubtful, I think we'll be fine.

Yes dialogue has definitely never been Bethesda's thing... it was usually just a vehicle to get you into the quest and keep you progressing through whatever you happened to be doing, rather than the main focus of the game.

...which is why I'm still worried about the voiced protagonist thing, because that would seem to me to be putting way more focus on dialogue than Bethesda is used to, and I can see it going horribly wrong. I've not watched any of the leaked footage though (trying to stay relatively unspoiled), so I won't know for sure until I'm able to dig in on Tuesday.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I see some people seem to be jumping on an anti-open world huge game bandwagon lately this year.

In kind of a smarmy "open world is so passe this year." sort of way.

Which is a shame becuase they're pretty much my favorite thing ever. Hopefully it'll still be another year or two before people turn on them completely and then they'll go back to complaining about games being too short.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Anyone streaming right now? I could use a fix.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
    edited November 2015
    I can't say I blame some people for trying to rush past the hacking minigame.

I think it mostly comes about because sometimes you naturally want it to feel more like lockpicking where you don't have to put any thought into it or look through it, you feel it out and it's over in a few seconds.

So that leads to a lot of "I'm just going to randomly pick the lines until this shit is over with" situations which I have been guilty of before myself. Its just a bad idea for a puzzle minigame in a 200 hour video game.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Demi GourdDemi Gourd Registered User regular
    So my PC has no hope of running Fallout 4. I also have no money to buy a new PC. I can, however, run New Vegas on Ultra High (which I'm sure isn't saying much.) Anyway, I heard most features of 4 were already modded into New Vegas like base building? Do you guys think I can still have a good time with a modded New Vegas over buying 4?

• DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    Demi Gourd wrote: »
    So my PC has no hope of running Fallout 4. I also have no money to buy a new PC. I can, however, run New Vegas on Ultra High (which I'm sure isn't saying much.) Anyway, I heard most features of 4 were already modded into New Vegas like base building? Do you guys think I can still have a good time with a modded New Vegas over buying 4?

New Vegas is an entertaining, well-written game with several years worth of mod development under its belt, and there are mods for things like base building, weapon customization, and what have you. If you're familiar and comfortable with the Bethesda formula I would definitely recommend it.

edited November 2015
    Absolutely. Have you played New Vegas before?

Its got a crapload of great mods out for it. Its still well worth playing even with 4 on the horizon. I'd recommend it and 3 to anyone, even years from now.

Dr. Chaos on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Absolutely. Have you played New Vegas before?

Its got a crapload of great mods out for it. Its still well worth playing even with 4 on the horizon. I'd recommend it and 3 to anyone, even years from now.

Underground Hideout mod is the only mod you need for New Vegas.

Glory to the wall, praise be upon her many hooks

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    What are your specs? You may be able to run it even though you're below minimum, especially after a patch or 2. If you've never played New Vegas it's a great game to hold you over while you wait for actual specs to come out from people who have the game/optimization patches.

Xeddicus on

Any chance of getting a console ? With Black Friday coming, you might get a good deal on a console and Fallout 4.

Any chance of getting a console ? With Black Friday coming, you might get a good deal on a console and Fallout 4.

Pretty sure I'd only have enough money to buy the game itself at this point money wise. Not at launch either.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited November 2015

That does not show us your specs, no. Just the games. Was asking for your computers.

Xeddicus on
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited November 2015

Yes dialogue has definitely never been Bethesda's thing... it was usually just a vehicle to get you into the quest and keep you progressing through whatever you happened to be doing, rather than the main focus of the game.

...which is why I'm still worried about the voiced protagonist thing, because that would seem to me to be putting way more focus on dialogue than Bethesda is used to, and I can see it going horribly wrong. I've not watched any of the leaked footage though (trying to stay relatively unspoiled), so I won't know for sure until I'm able to dig in on Tuesday.

This is also why I can't help but chuckle at the idea of romances. What level depth of romance can you expect from a company whose previous game used necklaces that unlocked a "you like what you're seeing?" dialogue? I mean, I'm willing to give Bethesda some credit since Fallout 3 conversations were okay, but still.

EDIT: Also I'm REALLY not looking forward to innuendo jokes with Piper's name

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Hmm.

So I used to avoid these streams because I didn't want spoilers.

Now I want to avoid them more because these people sound fucking awful at this game.

This is also why I can't help but chuckle at the idea of romances. What level depth of romance can you expect from a company whose previous game used necklaces that unlocked a "you like what you're seeing?" dialogue? I mean, I'm willing to give Bethesda some credit since Fallout 3 conversations were okay, but still.

"Piper ? But I'd only just met 'er !"

• OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Hmm.

Now I want to avoid them more because these people sound fucking awful at this game.

Sometimes I wonder if, in an attempt to keep their audience entertained or engaged in what they're streaming, broadcasters will breeze through stuff and ignore details with the mindset that their viewers will become bored if they spend too much time comparing weapon side-grades and collecting junk to craft shit.

This isn't the case with a lot of broadcasters as many of them have a flavor that their viewer-base is familiar with, thus they will stream accordingly (for instance, a Minecraft streamer knows she can get away with collecting a thousand stone to build a bridge because that's what her viewers expect. They know she's in the process of creation and she will likely engage her audience while doing so).

Most of the streams I've seen appear to be, um, quite amamteur-ish. Which is fine, of course, because I don't think professional streamers are even off NDA yet. However, I think it's certainly an excuse for the quality of play. If these guys were just playing the game without the camera on they'd probably be poring over every single detail in the game in an attempt to maximize their first playthrough. But with the knowledge that they are broadcasting a stream they might be playing differently as a result.

Amusingly enough, most of the people catching these streams are more irritated than appeased by these jumbled, rushed sessions. Cutting off noses to spite faces, and all that.

I have a few streamers on Twitch who I'm quite fond of who are all planning to play FO4 on launch day and I'm going to be ignoring their streams until they tire of the game, for obvious reasons. On the other hand I know at least two of them will likely bee-line through much of the game's story and avoid the majority of the crafting in an effort to push the narrative forward faster and keep their audiences' attention. Yet, to me, that's a turn-off as the draw in my case is the meat of the game, not the bones.

EDIT: And that's why watching those streams has no value. Spoilers plus why would I want to watch someone make an autolaser when I can go make my own god damn autolaser.

Oddfish on
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    GRAAAAAAHHHH

Ran into the nastiest, run-wrecking bug. :(

Veronica bugged out at the BoS bunker; first time visiting it. She walked over to the intercom, then went into a speech loop. Couldn't interact with her or the com. Okay, fine; fast travel. Still bugged. Okay, fine; go to Lucky 38, forcibly dismiss her. She hangs around in Freeside, and cannot be interacted with at all.

Okay... go back to BoS bunker. Dialog ensues to begin the BoS quest chain, but when the dialog ends my character is frozen. Can't move, can't do anything aside from rotate in place and use Esc key menu.

...I've been trying to work around this for hours, and I'm giving up now.

Booooo!

(In fairness, I started the BoS quest chain waaay too late)

With Love and Courage
    The Ender wrote: »
    GRAAAAAAHHHH

Ran into the nastiest, run-wrecking bug. :(

Veronica bugged out at the BoS bunker; first time visiting it. She walked over to the intercom, then went into a speech loop. Couldn't interact with her or the com. Okay, fine; fast travel. Still bugged. Okay, fine; go to Lucky 38, forcibly dismiss her. She hangs around in Freeside, and cannot be interacted with at all.

Okay... go back to BoS bunker. Dialog ensues to begin the BoS quest chain, but when the dialog ends my character is frozen. Can't move, can't do anything aside from rotate in place and use Esc key menu.

...I've been trying to work around this for hours, and I'm giving up now.

Booooo!

(In fairness, I started the BoS quest chain waaay too late)

sounds like it's time to just console command reset the quest, or advance it to the next step.

Oddfish wrote: »
    Hmm.

Sometimes I wonder if, in an attempt to keep their audience entertained or engaged in what they're streaming, broadcasters will breeze through stuff and ignore details with the mindset that their viewers will become bored if they spend too much time comparing weapon side-grades and collecting junk to craft shit.

This isn't the case with a lot of broadcasters as many of them have a flavor that their viewer-base is familiar with, thus they will stream accordingly (for instance, a Minecraft streamer knows she can get away with collecting a thousand stone to build a bridge because that's what her viewers expect. They know she's in the process of creation and she will likely engage her audience while doing so).

Most of the streams I've seen appear to be, um, quite amamteur-ish. Which is fine, of course, because I don't think professional streamers are even off NDA yet. However, I think it's certainly an excuse for the quality of play. If these guys were just playing the game without the camera on they'd probably be poring over every single detail in the game in an attempt to maximize their first playthrough. But with the knowledge that they are broadcasting a stream they might be playing differently as a result.

Amusingly enough, most of the people catching these streams are more irritated than appeased by these jumbled, rushed sessions. Cutting off noses to spite faces, and all that.

I have a few streamers on Twitch who I'm quite fond of who are all planning to play FO4 on launch day and I'm going to be ignoring their streams until they tire of the game, for obvious reasons. On the other hand I know at least two of them will likely bee-line through much of the game's story and avoid the majority of the crafting in an effort to push the narrative forward faster and keep their audiences' attention. Yet, to me, that's a turn-off as the draw in my case is the meat of the game, not the bones.

EDIT: And that's why watching those streams has no value. Spoilers plus why would I want to watch someone make an autolaser when I can go make my own god damn autolaser.

I'm really looking forward to watching some Lets Plays in a few months or so, by the likes of Many A True Nerd.

I only started watching recently, and have enjoyed some Fallout 3 and NV LP's, but this will be the first time I've watched for a recent game, and probably as I'm replaying it myself.

But I'd never consider watching a stream of someone just playing a game, as I'd rather just be doing that myself.

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    So how will hacking and lockpicking be gated since there are no skills anymore?

They did have a decent romance subplot in Morrowind with one of the npcs. It was pretty basic as all npc interactions were in that game but miles above what Skyrim used in terms of writing.

The fact that we'd be dealing with characters given personality as opposed to npcs that share VAs with 100 other NPCs should help too.

Steam Profile
    edited November 2015
    So how will hacking and lockpicking be gated since there are no skills anymore?

via perks.

Based on the descriptions it looks like anyone can try to hack/pick novice things, but beyond that you need levels in the requisite perks.

Foomy on
This discussion has been closed.