As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[steam] where overly specific genres come to life.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    When I worked IT, I know I said it or something like it more than you'd think necessary.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    f3rret wrote: »
    Ravelle wrote: »
    It's an IT Crowd joke.

And a well known joke to everyone that works in IT.

0118 999 881 999 119 725…3

Geth is monitoring that?

You should probably be afraid.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    When I worked IT, I know I said it or something like it more than you'd think necessary.

Is it turned on and/or plugged in are also up there.

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

I work in IT now, and it's consistently my first question. Quickly followed by, "Is the ethernet cable plugged in?".

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

I work in IT now, and it's consistently my first question. Quickly followed by, "Is the ethernet cable plugged in?".

Where I worked, it surprising was not. But they would inventively break things that rebooting wouldn't ever fix.

The best part was having to tell people to stop downloading and installing shit. But we couldn't actually do anything to stop them because certain executives felt it was too restrictive of their own habits.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

Where I worked, it surprising was not. But they would inventively break things that rebooting wouldn't ever fix.

The best part was having to tell people to stop downloading and installing shit. But we couldn't actually do anything to stop them because certain executives felt it was too restrictive of their own habits.

Surely no-one would do that.

• Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular

When I worked phone support, I never asked them to check if it was plugged in, since they would never check. Instead, I had them reverse the ethernet cable. That forced them to reconnect both ends, and worked quite frequently!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »

Oh, yeah.

God damn late '90s push content software.

• Options
    edited August 2015

Oh, yeah.

I kind of miss how the net used to be. But the rose-tinted glasses often make me forget there was this sort of shit everywhere.

I've never done IT/tech support as a job. But I've been people's/family's go-to "computer guy". Even just doing that I had enough instances of being asked to "fix" someone's computer, cleaning off that shit, and the first thing they invariably did upon getting their working machine back was wonder where their pretty cursors (etc) went and immediately reinstall that stuff. And the cycle began again. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of us have been in that same situation, though.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    My friend ran an IT company and asked me if I could do a job for him. Turned out it was to teach some neckbeard living in his parents basement how to "use the internet". I was less excited when I went to type in a URL and saw some of his search history... <shudder>

To bring it back to Steam, do people in here have much experience with Steam in-home streaming? Like how good is it if you have a fully wired connection?

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options

Oh, yeah.

I kind of miss how the net used to be. But the rose-tinted glasses often make me forget there was this sort of shit everywhere.

I've never done IT/tech support as a job. But I've been people's/family's go-to "computer guy". Even just doing that I had enough instances of being asked to "fix" someone's computer, cleaning off that shit, and the first thing they invariably did upon getting their working machine back was wonder where their pretty cursors (etc) went and immediately reinstall that stuff. And the cycle began again. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of us have been in that same situation, though.

That was about 10% of my old job. Some people were repeat offenders to the point where we literally did lock down their PC to prevent them from doing it and then they complained to their bosses who crawled up our ass about it.

To this day I'm still wary about even programs like Steam. The company seems straightforward enough, but it's really fucking ubiquitous.

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Free PID Steam key here! (some Facebook liking is required).
    I think @Quical has it in his wishlist.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

When I worked phone support, I never asked them to check if it was plugged in, since they would never check. Instead, I had them reverse the ethernet cable. That forced them to reconnect both ends, and worked quite frequently!

Thankfully my days of consumer phone support are long past, but I am stealing that for future use, mostly to use on relatives.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    My friend ran an IT company and asked me if I could do a job for him. Turned out it was to teach some neckbeard living in his parents basement how to "use the internet". I was less excited when I went to type in a URL and saw some of his search history... <shudder>

To bring it back to Steam, do people in here have much experience with Steam in-home streaming? Like how good is it if you have a fully wired connection?

Wired on both sides it worked well enough for us for fighting games, but we are not connoisseurs. This was still in beta, but some games reacted badly with it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »

Stay the heck away from my wishlist you!

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Your weekly "weeklong deals that I own and have played" post.

One Way Heroics - great game, steal at that price.
    Long Live the Queen - great game, but if you want to wait it'll probably go lower.
    The Ship - pass unless you can get a ton of people getting it all at once and playing multiplayer.
    Waves - Surprisingly competent twin stick shooter. Great for high score junkies.
    AaaAa and The Wonder End of the World bundle - both good games - base jumping sim and poor man's Katamari. Worth a glance, at least.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Speaking of One Way Heroics, the Plus DLC was just released on Steam. It's been available for a while direct from Playism so if you bought it from there you should have a Steam key now. It looks really keen, adding some more persistent features, interface options and improvements, new modes, characters, NPCs and monsters. Tons of everything really. Looks great.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Quical wrote: »

This never works.

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

This never works.

Just make your profile private.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    signature.png

Winner, and sole entrant....Verbal...whoever that is. Check your email.

• Options
    edited August 2015

This never works.

Or remove everything from your wishlist after writing it down elsewhere. Completely blank. Bonus points if you keep the things that can't be bought yet on it.

Madican on
  • Options
    MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    Corpekata wrote: »
    The port of War Chest is reportedly not great. Locked to 30 FPS and has general performance issues. They've got the 30 FPS cap as a "known issue" they're looking into so might be worth waiting for a few patches.

This makes me think. Obviously PC gamers like, and expect, 60fps games where possible. But I do appreciate it when a game - especially a demanding one - also offers a 30fps cap as an option, so if you haven't got the grunt for 60fps in that particular title but you can stay over 30, you're not stuck with a surging or generally unsettled framerate but instead can just enjoy a consistent one, which personally I find much nicer than it wobbling all over the shop. The Witcher 3 is pretty much the poster child for how to do this absolutely right (among so much else it does so well).

I've been playing Brutal Legend lately, and seeing how well it lends itself to speedrunning (SGDQ, damn you!). It's a game I really love because of both the gameplay and fantastic soundtrack.

Last time I played it was on a 9600GT which was pretty solid. I'm on a 650Ti now which is better but has been experiencing some wildly fluctuating framerates. If I could be guaranteed a solid 30FPS I would take it, but right now I've got 15-60FPS most of the time.

FPS caps, sometimes, it's a problem. Sometimes, it's just convenient.

The only reason Brutal Legend isn't my most recent "favorite game ever" is because I played Red Dead Redemption right after. In addition to the gameplay and soundtrack, it's got a funny, well-delivered story, awesome art, and it's probably the only thing Jack Black's ever been in that isn't annoying.

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

This never works.

Or remove everything from your wishlist after writing it down elsewhere. Completely blank. Bonus points if you keep the things that can't be bought yet on it.

A year later . . .

"Let's see what Madican has on the old wishlist . . . hmmm, World Peace . . . Cure for Alzheimer's . . . Cold Fusion . . . release dates all TBA . . . screw it, a gift of Bad Rats 3 it is."

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    I think I'm giving Subnautica a bit of a rest now. I've built bases, I've built the big sub. This game will be awesome, it just needs a bit more stuff added.

Can you build a dock for the big sub that recharges it? The wider internet seems to say no, but I am not so sure the information is up to date. Or, barring that, can you put a nuclear reactor in your sub?

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    MadPen wrote: »
    I think I'm giving Subnautica a bit of a rest now. I've built bases, I've built the big sub. This game will be awesome, it just needs a bit more stuff added.

Can you build a dock for the big sub that recharges it? The wider internet seems to say no, but I am not so sure the information is up to date. Or, barring that, can you put a nuclear reactor in your sub?

No And Yes (I think)(but it still won't work to recharge the Cyclops, even if it is place-able inside the sub.)

As of right now, there is no intended way to recharge the big sub (Cyclops) outside of crafting and replacing empty power cells. There are reports of people getting results from parking it near a power pylon, but I take those with a grain of salt.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

This never works.

ahahaha. It's funny that you think that works.

It just makes people gift you things you have no idea what they are "Oh god is this a ponies? Did I just get gifted a ponies?"

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »

This never works.

ahahaha. It's funny that you think that works.

It just makes people gift you things you have no idea what they are "Oh god is this a ponies? Did I just get gifted a ponies?"

That's on them, not on me. I have the option of declining if I truly believe I will never play it or just hiding it in my library.

• Options

You can't build a dock for it, no. As for a nuclear reactor... I don't think so. I think you just have to swap out the non-rechargeable power cells. The fact that I would have to keep harvesting copper, acid mushrooms and quartz to be able to drive the thing has made me not want to really drive the thing. It would also drain the Cyclops' power to charge up a minisub, which is a pain in the butt. Instead of using fuels cells to charge the Seamoth, I can dock it at my shallows base and charge it with solar power, or I can dock it at my lava base and charge it with geothermal energy. Neither of those things would require me to harvest fuel.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Madican wrote:
    This never works.
    Your friends' wishlisted games are shown in the Friend Activity/Most Wanted section even if their profile is private.
    zRf9QDh.jpg
    Or remove everything from your wishlist after writing it down elsewhere. Completely blank.
    And pray that Google's cache did not keep a copy of it before you deleted it.
    Bonus points if you keep the things that can't be bought yet on it.
    Many people may consider this an open season for random gifting.

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Madican wrote:
    This never works.
    Your friends' wishlisted games are shown in the Friend Activity/Most Wanted section even if their profile is private.
    zRf9QDh.jpg
    Or remove everything from your wishlist after writing it down elsewhere. Completely blank.
    And pray that Google's cache did not keep a copy of it before you deleted it.
    Bonus points if you keep the things that can't be bought yet on it.
    Many people may consider this an open season for random gifting.

or go for the @Isorn @Big Classy @Pixelated Pixie approach and own close to everything. Then you just have to nail em with new releases.

It's always fun finding someone who doesn't own something you love. Has @Iolo told you about Borderlands?

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Speaking of stalking wishlists and new releases.
    Dammit game let me buy you!

• Options

You can't build a dock for it, no. As for a nuclear reactor... I don't think so. I think you just have to swap out the non-rechargeable power cells. The fact that I would have to keep harvesting copper, acid mushrooms and quartz to be able to drive the thing has made me not want to really drive the thing. It would also drain the Cyclops' power to charge up a minisub, which is a pain in the butt. Instead of using fuels cells to charge the Seamoth, I can dock it at my shallows base and charge it with solar power, or I can dock it at my lava base and charge it with geothermal energy. Neither of those things would require me to harvest fuel.

Yeah...this is where I was sort of heading. The big sub is sort of useless unless you can use it as a mobile base, and you really can't. It's a shame, because it's otherwise quite rad.

• Options
    So apparently Windows 10 can disable pirated games and software. Obviously this isn't the place (nor, indeed, the forum) for a piracy discussion, but Windows 10 has already been criticized - not least in this very thread - for its, how shall we say, rather cavalier approach to privacy. As PC Gamer points out, this is most likely in place for Windows 10 games published by Microsoft (e.g. Gears of War: Ultimate Edition, Halo Wars 2, and very possibly Rise of the Tomb Raider) and perhaps available through their Windows app store.

Relevant quote, section 7b, "Updates to the Services or Software, and Changes to These Terms."
    "We may automatically check your version of the software and download software updates or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices. You may also be required to update the software to continue using the Services."

What actually troubles me slightly more is this: "or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices." That's something that's happened before in the console space, preventing unlicensed third-party peripherals from being used (usually with wording to the effect of "this may BREAK YOUR SYSTEM!!!1!" to scare you into compliance), and Microsoft definitely have previous there. But who the hell gets to call anything you plug into your PC "unauthorized"?

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who finds this (and MS' intentionally vague wording) a little troubling, especially given the existing concerns over privacy and Win10.

• Options

Yeah...this is where I was sort of heading. The big sub is sort of useless unless you can use it as a mobile base, and you really can't. It's a shame, because it's otherwise quite rad.

I'm hoping we can put solar panels on the roof, or get rechargeable power cells. I'd be OK if I had to build a crap ton of rechargeable power cells, as long as I could re-use them. Head out adventuring, then drop by my base to grab a few fresh sets of batteries, and drop the dead ones into the charger. That way there would be a use for a base as well as for the Cyclops.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

I'm hoping we can put solar panels on the roof, or get rechargeable power cells. I'd be OK if I had to build a crap ton of rechargeable power cells, as long as I could re-use them. Head out adventuring, then drop by my base to grab a few fresh sets of batteries, and drop the dead ones into the charger. That way there would be a use for a base as well as for the Cyclops.

That's what I hope the dev's are going for as well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I put a solar panel on my sub and it crashed to the bottom of the ocean and I had to spend an hour patching it up with it pointing straight up.

And hey..Windows 10 can go fuck itself. Vista was fine, even underrated given that it introduced sorely needed security measures, and I don't have serious issues with Windows 8.1. Windows 10 is the OS I'm going to skip. Sadly, I don't see this trend reversing itself, but I can hope.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Grandia 2 Remaster hits Steam on the 24th.

Now appears to be called Anniversary edition as this month is the 15th anniversary. 20 dollars / 15 for the first week.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I'm the exception I guess - T&Cs aside I really like Windows 10. Windows 8 on my desktop felt like it really wanted to be a touchscreen interface, but 10 is much more like a traditional desktop. Now on my tablet I kind of want to stick with 8 because I really like it, but I'm sure I'll end up updating that as well.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Also I'd just like to take this moment after reading the myriad of posts about wishlists and declare you all jackals. You want to see blood. Or maybe sharks, because when some gets in the water it turns into a frenzy.

Madican on
  • Options
    I'm the exception I guess - T&Cs aside I really like Windows 10.

It's the T&Cs that are the issue, though.

This discussion has been closed.