Options

[Hearthstone] DEATHRATTLE: POST IN NEW THREAD!

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    You can play face Paladin, control Paladin, mech Shaman, and malygos Shaman much more plausibly than face rogue and malygos rogue. I think no other class has been as compressed as rogue.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    You can play face Paladin, control Paladin, mech Shaman, and malygos Shaman much more plausibly than face rogue and malygos rogue. I think no other class has been as compressed as rogue.

So far I consider Malygos shaman some kind of mythical creature, like a unicorn. Sure, they could exist, but I've never seen one. ;)

I'm more or less in agreement with you, we could squabble about the relative viability of certain decks, but I haven't seen a good argument that any class is more compressed (I like that term), than rogue.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular

So far I consider Malygos shaman some kind of mythical creature, like a unicorn. Sure, they could exist, but I've never seen one. ;)

I'm more or less in agreement with you, we could squabble about the relative viability of certain decks, but I haven't seen a good argument that any class is more compressed (I like that term), than rogue.

Is your complaint that each class doesn't have more than a single tier 1 deck, or that some classes only have a single way they can be built?

• Options
    Anyway, someone was asking about a dragon paladin deck, this is mine. I tweaked it some more after complaining earlier and had more success.
    Z7wbRFj.jpg
    I had a lot more success once I cut muster and knife juggler, without quartermaster it just wasn't giving me enough value and I had too many 3 mana cards. The corrupters had to go for the same reason.

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    Grobian wrote: »
    WTF, going on Twitch and two streamers I'm following are playing Control Shaman? What happened? Did I wake up in a mirror universe again?

edit: This is the list http://hearthstone.blizzpro.com/2015/09/13/fade2karma-deck-of-the-week-pure-control-shaman/

second edit: This is a really good writeup and I've now remembered Varranis back from DKMR. I need to check what cards I'm missing to try this, it looks super cool.

Based in the write-ups I feel like I have played against a few iterations of this deck. It certainly seems interesting, unfortunately I think I am a few key cards away from it and need the dust elsewhere.

Edit: the more I think about it the more questions I have about this deck. I really want to play it and see for myself...hmmmm burning dust on random stuff won't be a big right?

I've tried it out and so far I'm winning games with it quite consistantly on Rank 9. It's very fun and exciting to balance your health and creature removal. The only change I made is losing the Argus and Emperour Thaurassan (both felt not really needed and/or clumsy) and replacing them with Sludge Belchers.

It improves the match-up vs druids (the hardest one) and gives your health a boost as well. Plus they are castable when you play the Elemental Destruction or even during your overload turn.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular

Is your complaint that each class doesn't have more than a single tier 1 deck, or that some classes only have a single way they can be built?

I wouldn't say that I'm complaining. Its like balance in general, it'll never be perfect. My original comment was about how rogue was in a worse place than shaman because there is really only one (with small variations) rogue (oil rogue) that sees any play, while shaman at least has a couple (mech and totem) or 3 if you count Malygos.

I don't believe any rogue or shaman decks are considered tier 1. Maybe oil rogue is? I dunno.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    So I made a fairly aggro paly deck to finish some quests.

It runs both owls and equalities.

Has some card draw and a wee bit of healing.

Ran into this totem shaman who had an amazing start (cho -> totem golem, pass, totem golem were his first 4 turns where I didn't drop anything because chow would just eat my guys up).

The game went on for a LONG time.... geez.
    He even had that heal for 7 or 14 joust card, which he won the joust on.

Still won though. =)

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Anyway, someone was asking about a dragon paladin deck, this is mine. I tweaked it some more after complaining earlier and had more success.
    Z7wbRFj.jpg
    I had a lot more success once I cut muster and knife juggler, without quartermaster it just wasn't giving me enough value and I had too many 3 mana cards. The corrupters had to go for the same reason.

I can't post my list right now but I think running any dragon deck without corruptors isn't a good idea. They're pretty much the reason to run dragons at all. At that point in your deck you could just go to control pally with ysera and be better off.

Also I'd cut technician before muster even without juggler or quarter master.

• Options
    Look at how fucking fair this is
    vzDyhc0.jpg
    I play zero mana of cards on turn 10, still dead. Go fuck yourself Ben Brode

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    you're actually not supposed to play cards all game against patron, not just turn 10

that's how you win!

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    I'm waiting for a paladin minion similar to deathsteed who will be playable against patron:

7 mana for a 3/1 divine shield. Ability: When this minion loses divine shield, it immediately gains divine shield.

• Options
    SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    Heh, I was playing against a warrior when the effigy on my mech yeti popped out a dreadsteed. He immediately emotes "sorry" and drops ET next turn. I figured he's jizzing his pants at that moment. So I just used the rewind spare part on the dreadsteed that I got from the yeti. Dream: crushed.

I still lost after being 1 short of lethal.

• Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    vzDyhc0.jpg

I can't get out of my head the Sylvanas -> Equality play...

It definitely wouldn't work, but I'd love to see how that would've changed the way he played.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    Okay I am totally over Tuskar Jouster, he's failed for me like 10 times in a row.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Blaaaah, the crap ranks are so damn random, I can't seem to get a deck that consistently pulls me above 17. Even Patron's been letting me down.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    man, Tilted so hard, lost 10 games in a row, and an arena run. time for a break.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Okay I am totally over Tuskar Jouster, he's failed for me like 10 times in a row.

Joust in general is bad, I run 1 heal bot and 1 LOH in my dragon pally.

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    you're actually not supposed to play cards all game against patron, not just turn 10

that's how you win!

The control warrior I just met should have known that. I had spent my patrons and was biding my time, holding onto the last durability of my last death's bite with a thaurissan-discounted warsong commander, two frothings, and two corsairs in hand. All he had to do was sit on his cards, pile on more armor, and he'd have won. But then for some bizarre reason he decided to drop Grommash + taskmaster when I only had 4 cards left in my deck while he still had 10+, and grommash wasn't enough for lethal. So then he died.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Blaaaah, the crap ranks are so damn random, I can't seem to get a deck that consistently pulls me above 17. Even Patron's been letting me down.

I'm sitting at rank 13 EU with a >70% win rate with Demon Handlock (15 wins, 6 Losses).

I'm using a somewhat out of date Strifecro list (couple of months old I think) but it's really consistent for me. I'd also say in the games I've lost, I've made misplays here and there too which could've turned them into wins. Chalk it up to learning experience.

List:
    • 2x Mortal Coil
    • 2x Darkbomb
    • 2x Ancient Watcher
    • 2x Ironbeak Owl
    • 2x Sunfury Protector
    • 1x Big Game Hunter
    • 2x Imp Gang Boss
    • 1x Hellfire
    • 1x Shadowflame
    • 1x Defender of Argus
    • 2x Twilight Drake
    • 2x Voidcaller
    • 1x Antique Healbot
    • 2x Sludge Belcher
    • 1x Emperor Thaurissan
    • 1x Sylvanas Windrunner
    • 1x Dr. Boom
    • 1x Lord Jaraxxus
    • 1x Mal'Ganis
    • 2x Molten Giant

Funnily enough I also have the same winrate with my stupid Joust of the Wild deck (5 wins and 2 losses) though that was before I went on holiday when there weren't as many tryhards (I include myself in that) around my rank.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

I'm sitting at rank 13 EU with a >70% win rate with Demon Handlock (15 wins, 6 Losses).

I'm using a somewhat out of date Strifecro list (couple of months old I think) but it's really consistent for me. I'd also say in the games I've lost, I've made misplays here and there too which could've turned them into wins. Chalk it up to learning experience.

List:
    • 2x Mortal Coil
    • 2x Darkbomb
    • 2x Ancient Watcher
    • 2x Ironbeak Owl
    • 2x Sunfury Protector
    • 1x Big Game Hunter
    • 2x Imp Gang Boss
    • 1x Hellfire
    • 1x Shadowflame
    • 1x Defender of Argus
    • 2x Twilight Drake
    • 2x Voidcaller
    • 1x Antique Healbot
    • 2x Sludge Belcher
    • 1x Emperor Thaurissan
    • 1x Sylvanas Windrunner
    • 1x Dr. Boom
    • 1x Lord Jaraxxus
    • 1x Mal'Ganis
    • 2x Molten Giant

Funnily enough I also have the same winrate with my stupid Joust of the Wild deck (5 wins and 2 losses) though that was before I went on holiday when there weren't as many tryhards (I include myself in that) around my rank.

Someday, I will open a giant. Like, any of them.

But I have been having decent luck with your Joust of the Wild deck! I should play that one more often.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    vzDyhc0.jpg

I can't get out of my head the Sylvanas -> Equality play...

It definitely wouldn't work, but I'd love to see how that would've changed the way he played.

Hit face with Death's Bite to clear Paladin's board, then either pass until he has more pieces of combo or just go for it and hope there's not another Equality or a Truesilver/Ysera Awakens.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    I posted a couple weeks ago that the meta is basically Rock Paper Scissors. I've seen nothing to change my mind.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Isn't that how all MTG-like games work?

Its even more relevant now, though, since Aggro, Midrange, AND Control are all in really good spots.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    while every deck in a ccg will have good matchups and bad matchups, i feel hearthstone's limited interaction exacerbates that issue, and many of the strong decks rely on executing their gameplan and not really giving a shit about how you play your cards

e: basically, in addition to being aggro, midrange, or control, most decks are also Combo decks

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KolosusKolosus Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I made a "Control" Warrior deck. I am currently 8-3 with it, but man the games take FOREVER. I don't have Grom or Varain. I just played against that Mech Warrior deck and I was down to 5 health before ShieldMaidens and Justicar pulled me way ahead. The rank 15 Meta is weird.

Edit: I wish I had all the cards/dust to try this deck out. It looks awesome. https://www.reddit.com/r/CompetitiveHS/comments/3lltdm/fade2karmas_pure_control_shaman/

I am missing the Elemental Destructions which are 100% core to the deck.

Kolosus on
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    while every deck in a ccg will have good matchups and bad matchups, i feel hearthstone's limited interaction exacerbates that issue, and many of the strong decks rely on executing their gameplan and not really giving a shit about how you play your cards

e: basically, in addition to being aggro, midrange, or control, most decks are also Combo decks

Every strong deck in the history CCGs has been about executing a strong gameplan and trying to ignore what your opponent does. Hell, the best decks in Magic's history were specifically built and designed to be so strong that they demanded interaction from your opponent, not the other way around.

Games of hearthstone have interesting decision trees just like magic does. There is tons of room for play/counterplay and bluffing. My general assessment is something like this:

Low-Ranked Hearthstone - mostly random not that interesting, probably worse than an FNM.

High-Ranked Hearthstone - pretty interesting, and about as difficult as higher level play in Magic.

• Options
    except like, all those decks that pack counterspells and kill spells and board wipes to answer what your opponent does

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KolosusKolosus Registered User regular
    Roz wrote: »

Every strong deck in the history CCGs has been about executing a strong gameplan and trying to ignore what your opponent does. Hell, the best decks in Magic's history were specifically built and designed to be so strong that they demanded interaction from your opponent, not the other way around.

Games of hearthstone have interesting decision trees just like magic does. There is tons of room for play/counterplay and bluffing. My general assessment is something like this:

Low-Ranked Hearthstone - mostly random not that interesting, probably worse than an FNM.

High-Ranked Hearthstone - pretty interesting, and about as difficult as higher level play in Magic.

Low Ranked Hearthstone (sub rank 17 for myself) is sometimes hilarious. I wonder what on earth is in the deck that my opponent is playing.

• Options
    webberwebber Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I may have lost 6 out of 8 games, but beating the control warrior with the double shot Rag hero power deck is the best feeling.

He was up to 35 armor. Just so excited about that win!

edit - Holy Jeebus. Back to back wins against control warrior. This time it was a golden warrior.

webber on
    This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    It really depends on the time of day. Sometimes rank 17 is literally random cards, sometimes you get 17000 dust decks piloted well. I've found it's really easy to climb the ladder 6-10pm EST.

• Options

List:
    • 2x Mortal Coil
    • 2x Darkbomb
    • 2x Ancient Watcher
    • 2x Ironbeak Owl
    • 2x Sunfury Protector
    • 1x Big Game Hunter
    • 2x Imp Gang Boss
    • 1x Hellfire
    • 1x Shadowflame
    • 1x Defender of Argus
    • 2x Twilight Drake
    • 2x Voidcaller
    • 1x Antique Healbot
    • 2x Sludge Belcher
    • 1x Emperor Thaurissan
    • 1x Sylvanas Windrunner
    • 1x Dr. Boom
    • 1x Lord Jaraxxus
    • 1x Mal'Ganis
    • 2x Molten Giant

thank you for posting this. I knew the list I used pre tgt was different from what I found on tempostorm but I couldn't remember exactly how... I swapped two mountain giants for belchers but knew that still wasn't quite there but this list is right, dropping an argus and a healbot for the imp gang bosses. and frankly that's an even better card now than it was pre tgt imo

maybe I can finally get the last handful of lock wins for 500

• Options
    I just wanted to give a shoutout to this Wyrmrest Agent
    Re93uz6.jpg
    You made it through a lot, buddy.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I love that according to the visual design of Hearthstone he's just a regular unmodified (except for attack and taunt, of course) Wyrmrest Agent.

• Options
    i have to say, i really don't get why the personality trait they decided for "researcher for the wyrmrest accord" was "thinks you're making fun of him"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    CPfSKD7WcAA221z.png:large

R A N K 5 C H E S T B O Y Z

I did it! After much struggle, I finally hit my goal of Rank 5 this month. I'm so goddamn glad that's done, I can stop stressing and just play now.

I went through... many, many decks on my way up there. Aggro Secrets Pally did most of the legwork, and when I was struggling with that I'd rock my old faithful Midrange Druid. Also tooled around with Mech Mage and Handlock a bit here and there. Eventually, hit Rank 7 and just kept on with Midrange Druid since it's so extremely consistent. My final gatekeeper match was vs a Mech Warrior. It was incredibly harrowing. He knocked me down to 3 health with an Arcanite Reaper in hand. I healed back up to 8 with an Ancient of Lore. Knocked me down to 3 again, healed back up to 8 with my 2nd Lore. Eventually I was at about 5 health or so and dropped a clutch Cenarius to stop any incoming aggression, which lead to my inevitable win. I actually ran into quite a few Mech Warriors on my way up, I guess it's getting popular or something? Some streamer streaming it? I dunno.

Edit: Aha, found it. It was on Hearthpwn: http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/335042-s18-2-legend-mech-warrior It's actually really good I think, give it a swing if you liked Face Warrior, it plays pretty similarly.

That mech warrior deck is pure murder. I decided to give it a try after tilting from 7 to 9 with other decks (the last straw was experiencing 3 patron games in a row with no weapons in the first few turns). Got an almost uninterrupted streak back to 7 right away, now one star from 6; so far I've only lost to a secrets pally who had 1 life left when he killed me.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    except like, all those decks that pack counterspells and kill spells and board wipes to answer what your opponent does

This reminds me of the old adage from Smenen, "When control uses force, it's interaction. When combo uses force, it's oppressive"

You only answer what your opponent does if you have to. The dream of every magic deck designer is to build a deck so powerful and resilient it can win no matter what your opponent does. That is not the state of the game the vast majority of the time, but there have been times when it was true.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Roz wrote: »

This reminds me of the old adage from Smenen, "When control uses force, it's interaction. When combo uses force, it's oppressive"

You only answer what your opponent does if you have to. The dream of every magic deck designer is to build a deck so powerful and resilient it can win no matter what your opponent does. That is not the state of the game the vast majority of the time, but there have been times when it was true.

And when it is true, those decks get pieces banned so they don't exist anymore

• Options
    i feel that there are some inherent flaws in drawing comparisons to magic formats where cards like force of will are being played, because tbqh hearthstone should not be aiming to have that power level in order to appeal to its primary market

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    i just silenced something that was going to get freezing trapped guaranteed

it has been a while since i played hunter, clearly

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    a good arena draft becomes a bad arena draft when hunter rolls huffer after making plays that would be a mistake UNLESS of course he rolled huffer, and then a pally gets murloc knight off murloc knight twice in a row.

in case arena wasn't enough of a waste of time already