As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bicycle Thread Is Coming Your Way

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I'm realizing that my bike of ~5 years constant use and minimal maintenance just needs to be replaced. The wheels, brakes, gear switches and crankset all need replacing at this point due to being stored under cover on a porch instead of indoors. I'm scanning craigslist, but realizing I have no idea about the terminology anymore.

For generally simple commutes of ~1.5 miles on roads a hybrid bike looks decent, but how fiddly should I get about the tire dimensions? Go for the largest/skinniest of standard, be satisfied with a more general middle of the road size? Never really used a bunch of different gear settings, so 2x5 seems ideal? Pad brakes seems less difficult to maintain than disc brakes, but I don't know how to adjust a wheel that is ever slightly not aligned and that tends to make pad brakes much less useful very quickly.

I feel I'll need to get much much more educated on bike maintenance before I'll commit on another, paralyzing myself with choice

VRXwDW7.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    It all depends on your budget, really. I don't know if many companies are selling bikes with only 10 speeds these days, usually it's 27-33 speeds for mountain bikes and road bikes. As for disc vs old-school rim brakes, if you can get disc within your budget, there's really no reason not to. They're almost zero maintenance compared to rim brakes, and they're so much better it's like night and day.

To minimise maintenance you could opt for a hub gearbox instead of a derailleur system, then you'd get 8 or 9 speeds. You might even be able to pair that with a belt drive, then all you really have to worry about is tyres.

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    There are a lot of 2x11 out there as well.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    To minimise maintenance you could opt for a hub gearbox instead of a derailleur system, then you'd get 8 or 9 speeds. You might even be able to pair that with a belt drive, then all you really have to worry about is tyres.

My wife got one of these recently and has been very happy with it so far, and it's exactly that, disk brakes/belt drive/internal rear hub gearing.

djmitchella on
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

My wife got one of these recently and has been very happy with it so far, and it's exactly that, disk brakes/belt drive/internal rear hub gearing.

I have a friend that commutes daily between Manhattan and Brooklyn on an almost identically specced bike and loves it for the simplicity and low maintenance.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Specced out the individual daily kilometers for our trip today. Getting very excited, although also afraid for my butt! Just need to pick up a spare tube and tire and finalize what clothes I'm bringing.

I am currently predominantly concerned about being cold, but the flipside is going to hopefully be that cycling in Belgium's early summer weather will be considerably less taxing than cycling in Singapore's 28° to 38° shweaty heat.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Got new bikes for the wife and I. And a Burly Bee for Kate.

7rqb5awz39an.jpeg

50433.png?1708759015
    Didn’t even realize they cane with disc brakes.

50433.png?1708759015
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    First bike ride in forever on the trails near my house. There was some walking up the big hill, but 45 minutes of hammering on the singlespeed felt good. Amazing day too, 72 with a light breeze.

And first ride in about 7 years is in the books. The difference between no burley and a burley is HUGE!!! Being fat and out of shape also made it rough. Only was out for about 15 minutes and 1.3 miles and my legs are still burning. Feels good though.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    So I switched the saddle for a Selle Italia saddle that's cushy and designed for lady butts, and I think it helped in terms of butt-bone pain, but I'm having some problems tightening the saddle to the seatpost properly? I swear the rails are exactly the same as my previous seat and there's no reason I shouldn't be able to tighten them down enough, but about 20 km into the 75 km I did yesterday my saddle had wiggled its way into an uncomfortable spot and I had to readjust it. Just had to keep doing that again every time we paused. Not great. Anyone else had issues tightening rails onto the seatpost? Am I just a weak-muscled babby and I need to really tighten it down HARD?

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    So I switched the saddle for a Selle Italia saddle that's cushy and designed for lady butts, and I think it helped in terms of butt-bone pain, but I'm having some problems tightening the saddle to the seatpost properly? I swear the rails are exactly the same as my previous seat and there's no reason I shouldn't be able to tighten them down enough, but about 20 km into the 75 km I did yesterday my saddle had wiggled its way into an uncomfortable spot and I had to readjust it. Just had to keep doing that again every time we paused. Not great. Anyone else had issues tightening rails onto the seatpost? Am I just a weak-muscled babby and I need to really tighten it down HARD?

Are the rails the exact same diameter as the other saddle? You might be tightening the clamp up as tight as it goes, but the rails are smaller than the channels in the clamp.

They're exactly the same.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    Hmm. Normally you shouldn't have to clamp down on the saddle rails to any kind of silly degree, a normal Allen key should be more than enough to keep that shit locked down forever. I wonder what else it could be? Is there something preventing the clamp from closing up properly before it clamps on the rails completely?

• minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Hey y'all.

I just got a used bike and the rear sprockets are a bit rusty.

I did some reading online, and seems like I should get some WD-40 on it to get rid of the rust and then put some bike lube on the chain and I'm good to go.
    But then I also read that you shouldn't use WD-40 on a bike.

Also, in terms of the lube, I'll be riding it to work in the city. About a mile each way. Should I get the dry lube?

So basically, what do.

Here are the photos of the sprokets:
    O_niZShd3VFkLnkEQji3YngKHM-7JhhLQjqKqvItsrVDZ2jL_7EQPB03tKfogSUEk9chqw66cI4RbT__oDFzBxLky1AH_MWCuVH50IqP1D0J9CWCBZcpFkEPvsEUTeE-Kaoi-NYIFt6AxVIA2ChttOFxUYSt2DV4ftXfDmYLJDRxPx6ngSXmTonRTFHNZQsxCSX-M90XMjpY1ZQX-Z5HbhhOc7Sr-BP-nYPsQdwVMw-KcarT8jqC4xmeqdCGBGhXhNDi0H-XOWZMqalY7tADOTIhqGcrXd_IgZguvYWevFRhu64aIo5wD6Gu5OlbjweCN-Q9rgeYCG9HpBCzRO-q8oI__4_ciLZ0r1XHZIBZaZdLddry-Jwu56IecMEVG1U69MgHZRsrQiDlmwYCoIo0-6CRI_Rc0iPqwFH0UQDD7fxA5lGgUqOlvgX_qVhTVaVK3kXqmyiCALE5jxR6zA4P98wei-yooDskkUVfua4EastBETX965huEwFgYTAoNrrQwWj2HSIFK_6rNpv32GNydlAS2ER1-xKb8WkJcTlqivjSGFjvVu5pVVUpi8EN6nM32Dty9LWUVgyA3wI0nUQ-2QLZPFqLaRSKG-ADQ7MofrnD-BtTYy5iknBp_m0OFYDqVG-PI8TIU6QRLFlmP6PDWpMK-IRTKg_iXg=w2155-h1616-no

oxe0f18zToE_KwbtkFOB2ZLv0nN8Z4fmKV6lstJ8Ai3sWkL-fVvLNtsDQT6OFlV42frRnHA6jPcn_iaAibInG0w0PEyKORTTnTYdu4nrn0GE0NQpHhCHgyuvPlgqJwwjcyDdZy68rlm2n7PMDRjgsPVp-PzgCPgUE9dSijpY_Ey_I1C7aeg58Ucjv6JfuZM0kEAFOCqGiCLiQENJhrp21WtycyIpwv72xZnpzvkDd5EMYd2-WjYg8RcLdx_L42Eae3skOD4ZsYJV9OGbn_Z_5DfVPuvQTel0to-boXxlZwZarmPgYWNy5Hl-BadR4okepc6PfKAqs6plNoMWJ42DU2BeKpjudTyqjbxmHC-wgyYwkFevtaU9mSerYSBy60qpTBJGu2cwXyDn4ObU5QmCi8Wt8F2Vd7w1bcul115zHT4zy3be09REQta8-gLRHsZbrD7Lrc-gYh2PidAp6Q-54ZK-Jd_V2m1DNuGoa2zotFAMK0sF8DsrTuTfr_FObSyhIaXN0UeX9f_nOy--C4Hj8VEWGRMbFexL3BGSeWnYGk2fHuzxH8OqzUXbmuKOmEHzqlx9b670OHPYcCRvdmtjiug69xlwCHup3x44Esii=w2155-h1616-no

Don't use wd40. Get some triflow or proper gear lube. Also note that they could be too far gone.

• duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs? Registered User regular
    There's a guy on GCN who uses WD-40 on his bike everyday so it won't hurt the metal, especially if you lube it afterward.

• mccartmccart Registered User regular
    WD-40 is fine to put on bike things, people generally say not to because it isn't designed to be a primary lubricant. WD-40 works fine to clean all the crud off your chain, It's more like a solvent than a lubricant. I'd squirt some WD-40 into a rag or on your chain and wipe your whole chain down a few times. The rust on your cassette isn't really a problem, you'd have to use a wire brush to get it out. If you have a small toothbrush sized wire brush you can try to knock some of it off, but honestly I wouldn't worry about it.

Your second picture didn't load for me dunno if it is on my end.

Any chain lube designed for bicycles is fine for lubing your chain after you clean it. People get a little brand crazy about chain lubes for some reason, but honestly probably all of them are fine. I don't like the ones that come in a pressurized bottle, I like to run my crank backwards and get a very thin line of lube on the rollers of the chain and then I'll wipe off the excess and that's hard to do with the spray type.

mccart wrote: »
    WD-40 is fine to put on bike things, people generally say not to because it isn't designed to be a primary lubricant. WD-40 works fine to clean all the crud off your chain, It's more like a solvent than a lubricant. I'd squirt some WD-40 into a rag or on your chain and wipe your whole chain down a few times. The rust on your cassette isn't really a problem, you'd have to use a wire brush to get it out. If you have a small toothbrush sized wire brush you can try to knock some of it off, but honestly I wouldn't worry about it.

Your second picture didn't load for me dunno if it is on my end.

Any chain lube designed for bicycles is fine for lubing your chain after you clean it. People get a little brand crazy about chain lubes for some reason, but honestly probably all of them are fine. I don't like the ones that come in a pressurized bottle, I like to run my crank backwards and get a very thin line of lube on the rollers of the chain and then I'll wipe off the excess and that's hard to do with the spray type.

Yep, this. It's not the worst thing out there, and you don't need to go crazy on lube type unless you're doing super-endurance or incredibly muddy stuff. More effective than using the right lube is cleaning/relubing every month.

Hmm. Normally you shouldn't have to clamp down on the saddle rails to any kind of silly degree, a normal Allen key should be more than enough to keep that shit locked down forever. I wonder what else it could be? Is there something preventing the clamp from closing up properly before it clamps on the rails completely?

I just can't figure it out! Also I should add the seat isn't sliding backwards or forward, it's like... Tilting on the seatpost. Really odd. I think maybe I've sorted it though. Seemed finally secure when I took it out to the shop and back yesterday.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    I leave in ten days.

I have my bike box.

I am quietly losing my mind worrying about preparedness.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    I leave in ten days.

I have my bike box.

You're gonna crush it. Belgium will never be the same!

I leave in ten days.

I have my bike box.

Don't worry, the parts you'll break you wouldn't have brought anyhow. Also, biking is pretty huge in Belgium, so anything you're missing should be reasonably available (I'm guessing)

schuss wrote: »
    I leave in ten days.

I have my bike box.

Don't worry, the parts you'll break you wouldn't have brought anyhow. Also, biking is pretty huge in Belgium, so anything you're missing should be reasonably available (I'm guessing)

That's what I'm banking on! I think I have all of the things I need except a foldable spare tire - I haven't had luck finding one that will work with my bike at the shops around here. I'm a mite nervous about going without, but... as you said, there are lots of bike shops around Belgium.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    nvm

honovere on
    honovere wrote: »
    I'm trying to find a new all year commuter bike. It gets expensive really fast.

Currently I have an offer for a chromoly lugged frame with a shimano NX8 premium and Alfine 8 gearlever, a shimano DH-3N72 hub dynamo with 50lux headlight and backlight (with parking light), Tektro R-559 cantilevers, tubus or racktime rack, brooks saddle and leather grips, Rigida ZAC 200 rims with Marathon Surpreme 37-622 tyres and aluminum fenders.

What would you say this would be worth? I feel like I can't really judge this.

$50. Secondhand bikes aren't worth shit, especially when they're such a hodge-podge of parts.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular

Currently I have an offer for a chromoly lugged frame with a shimano NX8 premium and Alfine 8 gearlever, a shimano DH-3N72 hub dynamo with 50lux headlight and backlight (with parking light), Tektro R-559 cantilevers, tubus or racktime rack, brooks saddle and leather grips, Rigida ZAC 200 rims with Marathon Surpreme 37-622 tyres and aluminum fenders.

$50. Secondhand bikes aren't worth shit, especially when they're such a hodge-podge of parts.

It's a new bike.

What brand is it? Where is it for sale? Their website should tell you how much it's worth.

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular

Is it a real Brooks saddle? Those are usually at least $100-120 alone brand new.

However, if you're just looking for a commuter, you could definitely go used and just have your friendly LBS tune it up and it could save you a lot of money.

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular

If it doesn't fit, its value to you is $0

Call me a snob, but I like a proper gruppo vs commuter sealed hub stuff. More interchangeable, easier to fix.

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    So I ordered my first set of cycling kit on Competitive Cyclist today. Castelli jersey and shorts. Up until now I've been wearing cheapo Amazon jerseys and shorts so I'm interested to see the quality difference.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    Anyone got a suggestion for a cheap waterproof set of panniers? My old bike got stolen ( :( ) but my neighbor had one to give me that’s a big upgrade from my old goodwill mountain bike! It has a cargo rack! And I’m real sick of carrying a bike shirt, a gym shirt, an undershirt, and an button up so I’d like to transition away from my bigass backpack.

Hrrm.

They are not cheap but I've been riding with my Ortlieb for a few months now and they are really good at being waterproof.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    Thanks! I’ll check em out. Which model did you get? The “back roller design” looks like it would work, but I want to make sure it’ll fit all my junk in the trunk.

Since I’m new to these is there any need to try and balance them out or would just one be fine?

Side note: Second day riding with foot straps, and I slowly fell over like a drunk giraffe a block from my apartment when my foot got stuck. Not going to lean left again!

edited May 2018
    I have two of the back roller free panniers. I'm taking them on a two-week cycling trip through Belgium and France, and they are all I'm using to carry all of my equipment and clothing - so they're pretty capacious.

If you're curious, in the panniers I'm carrying the following:
    1 U-lock
    1 4-ft 12mm braided steel cable
    3 dresses
    2 pairs of shorts
    1 pair of cycling pants
    3 pairs of tights (I'm worried I'll be cold, okay)
    3 cycling tops
    2 regular bras
    2 sports bras
    1 set pajamas
    5 pairs of undies
    6 pairs of socks
    1 jacket
    1 rain shell
    2 mini-towels
    1 (lightweight) spare pair of shoes
    Timbuk2 small crossbody bag
    Wallet
    Passport holder (and passport, obviously)
    1 Eagle's Nest Outfitters hammock and hammock straps
    2 pairs of light pannier locking cables
    Hand pump
    Basic first aid kit (alcohol wipes, band-aids)
    Tube o' butt cream
    Tube o' sunscreen
    Chain lube
    1 spare tube
    Leatherman multi-tool in its pocket
    2 power adapters
    3 battery packs
    Assorted charging cables
    2 Michelin maps
    Sunglasses and regular glasses
    4 tubes of Nuun electrolyte tablets
    Toiletries (deodorant, bar shampoo, mini bottle of body wash, toothpaste and mouthwash tablets, toothbrush, a couple of makeup things)
    Kindle

So, you know.

No comment on whether my packlist will actually be what I need and no more, no less. We'll see in a few weeks.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    I have two of the back roller free panniers. I'm taking them on a two-week cycling trip through Belgium and France, and they are all I'm using to carry all of my equipment and clothing - so they're pretty capacious.

If you're curious, in the panniers I'm carrying the following:
    1 U-lock
    1 4-ft 12mm braided steel cable
    3 dresses
    2 pairs of shorts
    1 pair of cycling pants
    3 pairs of tights (I'm worried I'll be cold, okay)
    3 cycling tops
    2 regular bras
    2 sports bras
    1 set pajamas
    5 pairs of undies
    6 pairs of socks
    1 jacket
    1 rain shell
    2 mini-towels
    1 (lightweight) spare pair of shoes
    Timbuk2 small crossbody bag
    Wallet
    Passport holder (and passport, obviously)
    1 Eagle's Nest Outfitters hammock and hammock straps
    2 pairs of light pannier locking cables
    Hand pump
    Basic first aid kit (alcohol wipes, band-aids)
    Tube o' butt cream
    Tube o' sunscreen
    Chain lube
    1 spare tube
    Leatherman multi-tool in its pocket
    2 power adapters
    3 battery packs
    Assorted charging cables
    2 Michelin maps
    Sunglasses and regular glasses
    4 tubes of Nuun electrolyte tablets
    Toiletries (deodorant, bar shampoo, mini bottle of body wash, toothpaste and mouthwash tablets, toothbrush, a couple of makeup things)
    Kindle

So, you know.

No comment on whether my packlist will actually be what I need and no more, no less. We'll see in a few weeks.

...this feels kind of like when I asked the woodworker about tips on building a coffee table.

Well that is a badass travel plan (how many miles per day would that be?), and I will most definitely invest in some of those. If you can get all that then a few books, computer, some clothes, and an emergency kit should be no problem.
    Also makes my plan of doing a couple day bike trip this summer sound way more doable.

Thanks Lost Salient!

It's hardly that! This is my first cycling tour so I could be way off. But like I said, I've been using the Ortliebs since February to do local day trips and I've been really happy with them.

The average miles per day is uhh

Uhhhh

Sorry, had to do some conversion and I am bad at math.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I need to go get help fixing my shifter, because someone knocked over my bike last month and it slipped, and I'm not strong enough/don't have enough hands to pull it back myself.
    It's very minor, I'm really just posting in here because that might make me actually go to the bicycle co-op and get it sorted instead of forgetting every afternoon and then cursing myself out on the way home.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I saw someone's road bike on the highway this morning. It looked like it fell off a rack. I wanted to stop and grab it but I was like 3 lanes away.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig