As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bicycle Thread Is Coming Your Way

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Did I ever mention I sorta kinda made IKEA take their bicycle off the market? I was the first recorded incident of the drive belt breaking (squats all day!) while accelerating furiously. There was a 10 year guarantee on the thing, so they gave me a new belt. It was literally impossible to get it on the bike without sawing the frame in two. I report the issue to IKEA, after a bit of faffing about they agree and I get my money back instead.

Over a period of 8 months they get ten more cases of the drive belt being torn in half and they decide to take it off the market. Take that, Sweden!

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    One of the only consistent things in the reviews for this bike is how terrible the seat is. My groin/thigh area is still bruised from a 2 mile ride two days ago. I've also read that my wearing looser underoos isn't helping much either.

The new squishy seat seemed okay today on a longer ride. It definitely felt like I could have gone longer. But I suspect I'll be keeping an eye on that whole region anyway since it's been so long since I've ridden.

I did notice my hands getting sore today though from the leaning over position. This might have to do with the seat's fore/aft positioning that I haven't yet messed with.

And also, I don't think they exist anymore, but is it possible to add the crossbar brake levers that I know used to be found on road bikes? I kept trying to get in a more vertical sitting position while resting my hands on the horizontal bar but then I'd start going downhill and need to scrub off some speed.

Einzel on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    While I back @Simpsonia 's points, sometimes you definitely do get a seat that's just a bad fit - not so much the squish factor but if the peaks don't line up right with your pelvic bones, for example. So do what feels right - but if you find long rides are giving you numbness or nerve issues, don't be afraid to go firmer+smaller rather than bigger+softer.

• Options
    I'm okay with this being a stopgap solution. I'm just getting my riding legs back (today I was nearly able to get my hands off the bars, for instance) so something simple and quick was what I'd hoped for. I still have some... unpleasant pain this evening from the ride, but it's not as bad as it was last time. For now I'll look into setting the squishy seat's position optimally.

I do greatly appreciate the more learned advice and I'm sure I'll end up with a properly fitted, firmer saddle in the long run.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I know the seat my touring bike came with a really hard seat that was supposed to be "good" for my butt but it really wasn't, after like four or five months of riding the bike all the time, so I swapped it for a goofy fancy ladies' Selle Italia. It's not wider or bigger but it's squashier. I use it together with chamois riding pants, but I have Issues with Padded Pants...

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Einzel wrote: »

And also, I don't think they exist anymore, but is it possible to add the crossbar brake levers that I know used to be found on road bikes? I kept trying to get in a more vertical sitting position while resting my hands on the horizontal bar but then I'd start going downhill and need to scrub off some speed.

Yes they do. I’ve seen them at my LBS so I’m sure you can find a set online.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Find a shop that can measure sitbones or do it yourself at home and buy one that's the right size. Specialized saddles are decent imo

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

Yes they do. I’ve seen them at my LBS so I’m sure you can find a set online.

Just a note so you know what to ask for. The old-school levers that you used to see on all of the Schwinn road bikes operated by engaging your main brakes. Those were radically unsafe, which is why you never see them anymore. You can get 'in-line' brake levers though that operate on the same cable without engaging your main brake/shifters. They're pretty common on Cross bikes.

• Options
    Unsafe because they could cock up the primary lever, I'm guessing?

• Options
    edited August 2018
    I swapped out my seat again, this time for something that is better fit to my sit bones, but still a bit padded. It also has a gooch groove which based on today's short ride is an improvement over the previous two seats. I hope some of this is my needing to build up muscle and get more accustomed to the seat cause each day the expectation of afternoon discomfort is making me want to ride less :(

Einzel on
  • Options
    Oh you had no groove? Yeah that'll hurt the nards (I imagine)

• Options
    The first one did but it was overall very narrow and hard. The second was all squish but solid with a minor channel.

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    The first one did but it was overall very narrow and hard. The second was all squish but solid with a minor channel.

Another reason for bike shorts, the compression of the lycra keeps everything up in a safer place. Think of it as a sports bra for the boys.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I forgot to bring my underwear to work for when I change after showering. Freeballing on a bike is not ideal.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Simpsonia wrote: »

Another reason for bike shorts, the compression of the lycra keeps everything up in a safer place. Think of it as a sports bra for the boys.

I actually picked up some sexy bikini briefs for that sort of thing. My problem is Perineum City where certain plumbing appears to be getting pinched leading to the condition later in the day known as caerulus pila. But I'm not certain.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    All biking shorts and undies literally chap my ass (or more specifically the crease of the thigh and uhh bits)

It ain't great and is my least enjoyed part of my new hobby

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Simpsonia wrote: »

I actually picked up some sexy bikini briefs for that sort of thing. My problem is Perineum City where certain plumbing appears to be getting pinched leading to the condition later in the day known as caerulus pila. But I'm not certain.

I've always been told to go commando with proper padded bike shorts. Any extra material down there is just liable to bunch up and cause pinch-points where you don't want it.

I got a pair of bib shorts for when I did the charity 50-mile ride earlier in Summer and I've never been so comfortable. It was the best £80 I've spent on clothing in a long time. It also makes me feel like a Victorian gentleman about to go take a constitutional dip in the sea because of it being basically an all-in-one that you wear a t-shirt over. It was also £20 cheaper than the other colours because it's advertised as having "red" stars on, but they're actually hot pink and look fabulous. There were a lot of negative reviews from men that were fine wearing full lycra, but not full, pink lycra.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    There were a lot of negative reviews from men that were fine wearing full lycra, but not full, pink lycra.

I don't understand that. My cycling kit basically boils down to two options: 1) Is it as loud and garish as it can possibly be, and 2) is it cheap? Usually they go hand in hand because people don't want to buy loud colors for whatever reason and then they get clearanced out.

• Options
    Today on my third ever attempt cycling on a regular road (for about 100 yards) a green CR-V couldn't be bothered to wait a second for the oncoming truck to go by before passing me. I was probably a foot and a half away from getting hit as they decided both vehicles should cross me at the same time.

It's acceptable to shoot at bad drivers when cycling, right?

• Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
  • Options
    Helping my friend move and he has a cruiser. I rode it around a little, but I've only ever ridden road and track bikes. My reaction was basically "but how do you Go Fast?"

• Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    Cycled 21 miles yesterday and 43 today. Feeling pretty good and we had near perfect weather for it.

Of course ask me again tomorrow how the legs feel :biggrin:

• Options
    Biking home from work and this dude rolls through his 2 way stop without looking. Whatever, I slow down enough so I can just go behind him. But then he just fucking stops in the intersection. I go into a slide and t-bone him at like 5mph. I think my palm and knee or pedal hit his car. Fell on my left glut which feels bruised. I yelled at him a lot and took of and left a big ass dent in his nice car. My bike was undamaged and I rode it the rest of the way home. I am happy I fucked up his car though.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I'm glad you're okay.

• Options
    The one thing more annoying than people who ignore intersection right-of-way are people who don't commit to their fuckups.
    I don't care (much) if you're an asshole, but at least be a consistent asshole

• Options
    edited September 2018
    seriously if he just followed through with his shitty driving everything would have been fine, but I think he saw me after he pulled forward (there were no other cars) then decided the best thing to do was stop completely in my path.

It's nice to know I can t-bone a car and come out on top though.

TheStig on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    One thing that utterly cooks my noodles when I'm driving is when someone does something stupid in their car, then gets pissy at you as if it was somehow your fault. If you fuck up, you fuck up. Apologise, and try to do better. Don't get fucking snotty at the people you've inconvenienced or endangered.

• Options
    So I did 17 miles on the new Pinarello yesterday. The new geometry kind of jacked up my shoulders as I am much more stretched out on this bike. Also, the seat... not sure if it's the seat, the seat angle, or the padding in my new bib, or any combination of those three things, but my perineum was quite sore, almost a raw like feeling. I was honestly expecting blood.

The reason part of me thinks seat is because the one on the Pinarello is kind of a slight wave while the Cervelo had a F'zi:k Antares which is super flat and I didn't have the issue with that one. I did get the bike fitted, but I feel like I had to have the seat adjusted down slightly on my old bike as well.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    Does it need a shorter stem, or one with a different rise, or both?

As for your gooch, it's probably all three things contributing. One alone would likely cause irritation, so it makes sense that tripling down would result in taintmageddon.

• Options
    Actually my fitter was much happier with the new bike since it has a bit more reach, which was his complaint about my old bike. I think that aspect is that I'm just not used to using those particular muscle groups in that particular way.

I'm going to try eliminating one thing at a time, like leave the seat angle but try my tried and true shorts, then try adjusting the seat angle, and if all else fails, get a new seat.

Steam
  • Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    Hey all, does anyone have any recommendations on a good way to listen to podcasts on my ride to work without getting run over? I was considering just getting a phone mount for my bike, any other ideas?

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Hey all, does anyone have any recommendations on a good way to listen to podcasts on my ride to work without getting run over? I was considering just getting a phone mount for my bike, any other ideas?

I've been looking at bone conduction headphones for a while, but haven't actually tried them out.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I ride with one ear bud in, keeping my ear towards traffic clear

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    That's what I do also, with regular old Bluetooth headphones.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    japan wrote: »

I've been looking at bone conduction headphones for a while, but haven't actually tried them out.

I've tried a cheap set off Amazon and it just didn't get loud enough to hear over the wind, let alone traffic noise.

Like has been said - I just got a regular set of Bluetoot headphones and then have the ear on the side of traffic open.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    That's what I do also, with regular old Bluetooth headphones.

Yep,same.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
  • Options
    PhantPhant Registered User regular
    I have a bluetooth speaker that I clip on to my handlebars for listening to pods/music while I'm riding, I really hate having earphones in when I'm anywhere near traffic.

• Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    Phant wrote: »
    I have a bluetooth speaker that I clip on to my handlebars for listening to pods/music while I'm riding, I really hate having earphones in when I'm anywhere near traffic.

Me too, I don't trust Venice/Santa Monica drivers.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Anker's bluetooth earbuds are your friend. Decent sound, great volume, excellent battery life and they're cheap enough to buy two at under $25 each even when not on sale which they are often.

I am anti expensive bluetooth because all lithium batteries have a life span and it's not like you can replace them in earbuds.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist