Bicycle Thread Is Coming Your Way

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I remove the straps completely, but they're supposed to be tight around the shoe to add force to the pedal motion on the upwards pull. I can't imagine anyone nowadays wanting that level of performance without just going all-in on clipless.

DoodmannTynnan
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Does anyone actually tighten the strap on traditional-style toeclips? I had an older road bike that came with those, and I never tightened the strap up at all, I just set it to the point where my foot would go in easily and called it a day -- I didn't realise people were ever re-adjusting them when riding.

Only really people who were also using them with cleats (usually just a thing with a groove that hooked over the back of a traditional metal pedal). Without tightening them that doesn't work to hold your foot in the right fore-and-aft position

It was much more of a thing in racing (and of course, inevitably, among recreational cyclists who bought racing gear) but they died out in the eighties as clipless designs became available

You still see some track riders using them, but obviously they have someone there to prop them up

• Descendant XDescendant X Hank Facepunch Registered User regular
    I’ve been riding my bike to work for the past four years or so and every now and then I get the urge to check out new stuff, so yesterday I went to the bike shop.

Big mistake.

Now I desperately need to buy either a Cannondale Bad Boy 1 or a Marin Fairfax SC 4.

Something used to be here. It's gone now.
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I’ve been riding my bike to work for the past four years or so and every now and then I get the urge to check out new stuff, so yesterday I went to the bike shop.

Big mistake.

Now I desperately need to buy either a Cannondale Bad Boy 1 or a Marin Fairfax SC 4.

That is a sexy bike, wow.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Torchlight | Steam | ART
    Descendant X
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    So I've been thinking for a long time about getting a road bike, I currently have a very entry level hybrid that I used to use for light commuting, mild trail riding, and some 15-20 mile trips on paved bike trails, and now I use my e-bike to commute to work a couple times a week. As summer winds down I'd sure like to start doing more un-assisted bike riding, and maybe I'm assuming too much of an improvement with a proper road bike, but I'm tempted by having a lighter, trimmer bike with drop bars etc.

The REI labor day sale is going on and it's mostly either too rich for my blood or a little too low end for me to think it's a step up from my hybrid, but their Co-op Cycles brand Ard 1.2 gravel bike for $1,050 seems like a good deal. Does anyone have experience with the brand? A gravel bike isn't exactly what I'm looking for, but I would find it convenient to occasionally ride on dirt, crushed gravel, or the occasional tree root, plus I'm not about to go touring.

A related question: I find that on both of my current bikes, I pretty much always ride in the top two gears on flats, it's just too easy any lower than that. Is that common? I don't think I have terribly strong legs. Or would I need to think about upgrading to a different crankset so that I ride more typically in the middle options that give me access to real power boosts at the top gear?

PSN: Kurahoshi1
    I'm pretty sure that you're supposed to be in the top two gears on flats just to maximize your work/speed ratio.

I'm also pretty sure that I know next to nothing about how this shit works and that someone will be here to provide the correct answer in no time.

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    It’s hard to give a specific answer without knowing the sizing of your chainring and cassette, but being in high gear after getting up to speed in the flats isn’t unreasonable.

Also it matters what cadence you’re using. Are you around 90 rpm when you’re cruising?

Tynnan on
    chrishallett83
    edited August 2019
    Welp, I’m buying that 2018 Cannondale Bad Boy 1 next week. I took it on a ride today and was immediately impressed by the responsiveness of the belt drive.

Descendant X on
    TheStigTynnanDoodmann
    And now it's mine.

Got it at cost + 5% tax = $1900 MooseBucks because it had been sitting around in the shop for a year and it had been a special order to begin with. It's fantastic. Everything works immediately and effortlessly.

JsZLFVT.jpg

And the lefty fork:

dOo0Xpx.jpg

Now I'm looking for a bike trainer to use over the winter. Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent trainer that will work with a solid rear axle and costs about $100 - $200 beaverpelts?

djmitchellaTynnanSporkAndrewhonovereTheStigDoodmannAshaman42Skeithpookabowen
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Jeez that looks strange/mesmerizing.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
    Descendant XSporkAndrewJayKaosDoodmannAshaman42
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2019
    Now I'm looking for a bike trainer to use over the winter. Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent trainer that will work with a solid rear axle and costs about $100 - $200 beaverpelts?

I've got one of these Elite units. It's noisy as all heck and the resistance lever doesn't strap on properly but it's cheap and cheerful and does the job of giving you resistance. I know wiggle do international shipping but you might need to see if there's a local stockist. Everyone I asked said that Elite make the best of the cheap turbo trainers

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
    Descendant X
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    And now it's mine.

Got it at cost + 5% tax = $1900 MooseBucks because it had been sitting around in the shop for a year and it had been a special order to begin with. It's fantastic. Everything works immediately and effortlessly.

JsZLFVT.jpg

And the lefty fork:

dOo0Xpx.jpg

Maybe you can report how the G-One tires fare? My new bike has Spicers on it and I'm not sure how those will hold op once autumn and slushy winter comes around.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Man I hope you got a safe place to park that.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    DoodmannSkeith
    Yup. It’s in my house when it’s not in use and my workplace has dedicated bike spaces in an underground car park.

TheStig
    Nice. I'd still put one of these on it with that price tag. I've had plenty things stolen out of the breakroom from coworkers. People are trash.

NEW YORK FAHGETTABOUDIT CHAIN 1415
    https://www.kryptonitelock.com/en/products/product-information/current-key/999492.html#

chrishallett83
    I’ve got a folding bike lock that I use that’s not failed me yet. My building is full of bureaucrats and doctors and the public can’t access the car park, so I’m not that worried.

I kind of want to offer this guy 700 for this:

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/d/costa-mesa-kona-stinky-air/6948448126.html

It's a 2008

Torchlight | Steam | ART
    I’ve got a folding bike lock that I use that’s not failed me yet. My building is full of bureaucrats and doctors and the public can’t access the car park, so I’m not that worried.

My breakroom is full of doctors and nurses and of course the cleaning staff. Didn't stop my $200 stethoscope with my name on it from going missing. That being said I don't think any one of them is enough of a dirtbag to go for anything but a crime of opportunity. That's just a lot of bike that I wouldn't feel safe without anything but the most secure lock.

Doodmann wrote: »
    I kind of want to offer this guy 700 for this:

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/d/costa-mesa-kona-stinky-air/6948448126.html

It's a 2008

That’s quite the hunk of metal there. Looks nice.

• chrishallett83chrishallett83 A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    It'd probably want the wheels re-spoking, but that's not a huge expense.

Doodmann
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    A case of I should have looked into it
    So I did a grocery run but on the way home I popped the innertube again. I thought it was due to a sticker plant but this is the 2nd time it's happened so I looked it up and yeah the Goodyear innertubes have a habit of blowing up

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Because I'm insufferably hipster I've been haunting Blue Lug and Crust Bikes on Instagram and it's really

I just

I already have two bicycles

E: Also I came in here to say that I swapped my commuter bike flats for a set of Shimano M-324's and the DZR waterproof H20's since it routinely torrentially downpours here. So far I'm... not really sold on it being a better experience than flats, but I haven't full-on eaten pavement yet. I did nearly fail to unclip while being flagged over by the LTR (transit authority) doing a Bicycle Path Safety Awareness stop, which was hilarious. They were like "Make sure you stay under 25km an hour and keep those lights on at night!" and I was like "Thanks but shouldn't you be more worried about the fact that I nearly ran you over at a leisurely 11km/hr because I couldn't get my feet out of the pedals fast enough?"

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • chrishallett83chrishallett83 A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Wow damn those Crust bikes are pricey! You can get a modern full-carbon bike for less than that!

Doodmann
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    This is a bike route in a city near me. Just..what.

Bothell dares you brave the Double Door Bike Gauntlet! (Seriously, wtf, there are several blocks of these, both sides of the road.) pic.twitter.com/ohls6bmNEQ

...doors on both sides, check. Cobblestone, check. It's not the worst lane I've seen but not for lack of trying!

I think they just put a bike route through a parking lot?

tynicchrishallett83Magic Pink
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Seems reasonably wide and concrete paver is fine to drive on?

TheStigschuss
    The pavers are ok, but it's definitely a recipe for getting clocked by a careless driver or passenger. Possibly both at the same time.

chrishallett83SkeithMagic Pink
    bicycle ads aren't usually this adorable

Banzai5150
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I know the bike paths are full of large cracks and overran with weeds and grass here {one of the reasons I feel the city/county/state are flat broke} I see people riding in the street which is questionable to begin with let alone with traffic on some of the busier streets

God triathlons looks like so much work.

Give me a night time fixie race where you throw up and you're not sure if it's because of the peddling or the tall can you shotgunned before the start any day.

Torchlight | Steam | ART
    Lost Salient
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Bothell dares you brave the Double Door Bike Gauntlet! (Seriously, wtf, there are several blocks of these, both sides of the road.) pic.twitter.com/ohls6bmNEQ

...doors on both sides, check. Cobblestone, check. It's not the worst lane I've seen but not for lack of trying!

Looks like you should be fine riding down the center?

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

Oblivious pedestrians could step out of literally anywhere

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    CFN: RoboWizard
    Magic Pink
    edited September 2019
    They've added a bike lane to the busiest shopping street near my work. Which is nominally great! It goes
    |               | car   |            |  
    |    road       | park  |    bike    |  footpath
    |               | lane  |            |  

I have had more near miss collisions there than anywhere else in the city, sometimes due to passengers swinging a door open, but more often due to pedestrians just wandering into the bike lane without looking, or treating it as an extension of the footpath. There's a lot of visual cues on the ground that this is an active cycling lane (like the curb, plus it's painted green for fucks sake), but none at eye height. And because very few other roads anywhere in Boston have this arrangement, people just don't realise that they need to watch out. Add to that, the cars block cyclists from view for pedestrians crossing from the road direction.

I think it's different in heavy cycling cultures, or one where separated lanes are more normalized.

tynic on
    Doodmannchrishallett83Lost SalientMagic Pink
    TheStig wrote: »

Oblivious pedestrians could step out of literally anywhere

That's why I continually scream when I'm riding down populated areas.

tynicchrishallett83Magic PinkTynnanDoodmann
  • Cathode Ray TubeCathode Ray Tube Registered User regular
    Did my biggest ride ever this August. 225 miles across Wisconsin in a well supported ride. Not only was it my longest ride ever but I recorded my fastest average speed ever also. Heck, I even beat Jens Voite up a hill.

honovereTheStigButtersmccartSkeithchrishallett83SeptusdjmitchellaBanzai5150TynnanDoodmann
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    They've added a bike lane to the busiest shopping street near my work. Which is nominally great! It goes
    |               | car   |            |  
    |    road       | park  |    bike    |  footpath
    |               | lane  |            |  

I have had more near miss collisions there than anywhere else in the city, sometimes due to passengers swinging a door open, but more often due to pedestrians just wandering into the bike lane without looking, or treating it as an extension of the footpath. There's a lot of visual cues on the ground that this is an active cycling lane (like the curb, plus it's painted green for fucks sake), but none at eye height. And because very few other roads anywhere in Boston have this arrangement, people just don't realise that they need to watch out. Add to that, the cars block cyclists from view for pedestrians crossing from the road direction.

I think it's different in heavy cycling cultures, or one where separated lanes are more normalized.

They have that setup in parts of downtown Austin and it's exactly the same problem.

In Singapore there are a fair number of places along the designated PCN paths where there is a regular walking path, then a grass median, then the demarkated PCN path. These aren't always covered in signs saying "SHARE THE PATH, SIGNAL WHEN OVERTAKING, STAY LEFT" but they are a fair amount of the time. The rest of the time it's still marked PCN on the pavement for the shared path, but it doesn't help -pedestrians still meander aimlessly across and along the cycle path.

I'm moooostly tolerant of it except when they are totally oblivious to my bell and "BIKE!" calling and then look offended and upset when I come up on them, which I NEVER do without decreasing my speed if I think there's a chance they haven't noticed me.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    chrishallett83tynic
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Wife and I finally got bikes. I got this guy:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J7J40TM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Question though, how do I make sure my seat is the right height? At the lowest it'll go its way too low and my knees come up to my torso when I bike

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Wife and I finally got bikes. I got this guy:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J7J40TM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Question though, how do I make sure my seat is the right height? At the lowest it'll go its way too low and my knees come up to my torso when I bike

The top should be level with your hips.

Bucketman
    I do the heels on pedal method. You should be able to almost fully extend riding on your heels. It's not exact, do fine adjustments based on feel.

BucketmandjmitchellaBrainleechjapanTynnan
    Fat tyre bikes have a lot of rolling resistance to overcome, so you're going to want to be able to extract maximum power out of your stroke. TheStig's suggestion is pretty much spot on - you're gonna want your legs as straight as possible.

BucketmanBrainleech
    36 miles riding on this ass zit in the worst possible spot these past 2 days.

Tynnan