As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Ryan Davis Memorial Giant Bomb Thread

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I really hope we get a Beast-tastic UPF this week.

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    Anyone know if they're doing any more Choose Our Own Adventure's for Life is Strange?

I found time to watch the first two over the long weekend, and I need to see their reactions to when shit really gets dark.

After the second one they started playing it during their Friday playdates. They got through the third episode last week and probably won't play another session for a bit.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    Anyone know if they're doing any more Choose Our Own Adventure's for Life is Strange?

I found time to watch the first two over the long weekend, and I need to see their reactions to when shit really gets dark.

After the second one they started playing it during their Friday playdates. They got through the third episode last week and probably won't play another session for a bit.

Those are premium only, I guess.

Oh well. Probably spring for a sub once I get my pc operational next month.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I do hope GB figures out some more reliable content series. There used to be a ton of them, now it's pretty much just UPF and Metal Gear Scanlon. Everything else has a few episodes and then gets dropped.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    I do hope GB figures out some more reliable content series. There used to be a ton of them, now it's pretty much just UPF and Metal Gear Scanlon. Everything else has a few episodes and then gets dropped.

They've mentioned they want to bring That Old Games Show back.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I mean they've been sorta busy, and they've even talked about bringing back Flight Club, Blight Club, RanKING of Fighters, etc.

Not to mention in the most recent Bombcast, Jason mentioned something he and Jeff shot that won't ever air, where he talks about how MST3K got him laid.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited November 2015

They seem to be averse to that sort of thing, kind of inexplicably (at least to me). I guess they think that having a rigid schedule of programming is counter to their mission statement or something, I don't know.

If they relied on views and such for their salaries, I imagine there would definitely be a Persona 5 endurance run.

I do miss the PC games show, and I like the old games show.

Ceno on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    There have been no active series for the past few months because the lull in video game releases is over and now they have to spend a lot of time playing video games for their job. This content lapse always happens this time of year.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    There have been no active series for the past few months because the lull in video game releases is over and now they have to spend a lot of time playing video games for their job. This content lapse always happens this time of year.

I suppose. But that would make more sense to me if reviews were still a meaningful use of their time. They should just stream the parts where they are playing the games for their job. That would be just as interesting to me as the GOTY discussions.

• Options
    Ceno wrote: »

I suppose. But that would make more sense to me if reviews were still a meaningful use of their time. They should just stream the parts where they are playing the games for their job. That would be just as interesting to me as the GOTY discussions.

I mean, embargos. But they've done a bit of that on their own. I've watched Jeff and Dan play MGSV and Fallout, Drew play Rising Thunder, etc. They stream on Twitch occasionally.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    But then they're just LPers, and they don't want to be that.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    If we could see some of the analytics of the content they produce, it would probably explain why some things get a couple episodes then go away.

Not everyone obsessively absorbs any content they make like we do. :)

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    i suppose. just generally the normal content outside of a few spectacular quicklooks has been really bleh. i stopped MGS after 3 and upf has been a huge bummer all year except for the robot episode. i really enjoyed a lot of the new stuff they started this year, and it all died more or less instantly, even before new video games happened.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    UPF has been fairly dull for the last little bit, I used to watch them often but now I just skip them and see any of the best bits from the "Best of" Giant Bomb youtube thingy. I also need to catch up on Metal Gear Scanlon but now he's farther than me in the story for MGS5 so that will have to wait. I really hope GBEast finishes off Life is Strange and gives it some talk in the GOTY chats.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    UPF has never been the same since Vinny moved

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    UPF has always been mostly dull IMO

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    A lot of things haven't been. Really I still like most of the content coming out of GB, but the Austin/Vinny stuff is easily my favorite for QLs/etc.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Yeah I would pay cash money for Austin and Vinny to lets play stuff on a regular basis

100$ upfront if they promise to play p5 with austin on controller and vinny as passenger

EDIT: the crusader kings extended look was super cool and I love vinynvania and the adventure games lets plays

pls more vinny and austin (alex can come too i guess)

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Speaking of new features: Kerbal video is up

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    Yeah I would pay cash money for Austin and Vinny to lets play stuff on a regular basis

100$ upfront if they promise to play p5 with austin on controller and vinny as passenger

EDIT: the crusader kings extended look was super cool and I love vinynvania and the adventure games lets plays

i didn't really know i wanted it, but now i really want this p5 endurance run.

doesn't seem like it's gonna happen though.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options

Jeff has explicitly said it won't.

Which, again, seems to not make much sense to me - since it's content that a lot of people want and could be put behind the premium wall and make them money - but I'm not the one steering the ship, so it's neither here nor there.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    it bums me out cause no one at GB will ever review P5

they might do a quicklook and maybe vinny will play with it at home (he seems to be the only one who plays games til completion if not reviewing) but theyre wont be a huge podcast moment like MGSv or fo4 or other big relases

which makes me sad

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    jeff gerstmann will absolutely attempt to play persona 5 and will only stop if he does not like the characters

In fact this is also probably a large part of why there isn't going to be a persona 5 endurance run. Jeff likes Persona 4 a lot. His GOTY when P4G came out was secretly actually P4G. Jeff likely wants to approach P5 fully on his own terms - think of how much he's spoken on the podcast about how much he hates experiencing things when everyone is trying to get him to experience something. Having a million fans yell at him about how to experience Persona 5 would probably ruin it for him.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I feel like Austin and Jason might try to finish Persona 5. Maybe Jason less so with the baby, but Austin did dump several dozen hours into Xenoblade.

Does Persona 5 have robots in it?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Ceno wrote: »

Jeff has explicitly said it won't.

Which, again, seems to not make much sense to me - since it's content that a lot of people want and could be put behind the premium wall and make them money - but I'm not the one steering the ship, so it's neither here nor there.

He said he wouldn't. Vinny and Austin might? idk. I assume it won't but drew also said he didn't want to play MGSV for the site and here we are.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    You're definitely going to see most of the crew attempt to start Persona 5 - everyone expressed interest in getting into 4 when Golden came out, thanks to those on the site who are positive about it, but they couldn't find the time to keep up with what was functionally just a rerelease at that point in their jobs. Once they can actually work through a Persona game as a part of their job, you'll see a lot more efforts to do it.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    There are lots of series going on right now, they're just mostly out of East: Vinnyvania, Choose Our Own Adventure, GBE Playdate, Kerbal

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    There are lots of series going on right now, they're just mostly out of East: Vinnyvania, Choose Our Own Adventure, GBE Playdate, Kerbal

Those are inconsistently released though. (Well, aside from Kerbal, which just started this week. We'll see how that one goes.)

• Options
    FeloniousmozFeloniousmoz Registered User regular
    The Jeff & Vinny P4 endurance run can only be surpassed by a Vinny & Austin P5 run. I see great promise here.

Steam: FeloniousMoz
  • Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    I can listen to Vinny and Austin alternate between informative and wacky all day.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options

Those are inconsistently released though. (Well, aside from Kerbal, which just started this week. We'll see how that one goes.)

I mean GBEast usually does SOMETHING on Fridays, even if it's not the same feature every week.

steam_sig.png

• Options

I mean GBEast usually does SOMETHING on Fridays, even if it's not the same feature every week.

Yeah, but there's no telling if we're going to get two Choose Our Own Adventures in a row, or a Vinnyvania or whatever.

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Just got a new android phone. Can anyone recommend a good podcast app? I was using instacast on iphone.

I don't mind paying a few bucks for a good one.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    I use Podcast Addict. It handles premium podcasts pretty well.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Just got a new android phone. Can anyone recommend a good podcast app? I was using instacast on iphone.

Pocket Casts

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »

Pocket Casts

Seconded

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    411Randle wrote: »
    The Just Cause QL has nearly convinced me to buy the game despite having no money and still being ass-deep in Fallout 4. I wish to feel the same glee as the GBEast crew did when things explode.

I'd wait, especially if you game on PS4/Xbone. By the time you do have the time and money, hopefully there'll be a number of patches that fix the enormous technical issues that appear to be in the game.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »

Pocket Casts
    I use and like PocketCasts -- if you want to go free, I also briefly tried out AntennaPod (back when PocketCasts was misbehaving with GB for a couple of days a while back) and it worked well with everything, including the premium feeds.

Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    I also use and recommend PocketCasts
    I like it enough where I bought their web client too

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
This discussion has been closed.