As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Open World Games

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I've spent months going "why are they releasing Mad Max the same day as Metal Gear it makes no sense why are they burying their own game"

now it seems like it was a strategy

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I've spent months going "why are they releasing Mad Max the same day as Metal Gear it makes no sense why are they burying their own game"

They released it the same day the movie came out on DVD. I think maybe that was the "plan".

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I had a great time playing far cry 4 while waiting for Justice. Chilling in a party talking about the absurdities of it

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Maybe next time we can play. I....may have forgotten that I don't have a save file anymore.

The hardest part of Far Cry 4 for me is not gyrocoptering everywhere. This world is so beautiful!

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Is it just me or are the farcry servers hot garbage?

I've never been able to stay in a co-op session longer than about 10 minutes before it dropping and I've never been able to finish a multiplayer round.

I'm 4 cheevos away from the platinum and they're all easy co-op and multi goals but I can't get them done :[

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

They don't really have a reason to bury it, though. It's a PAOWG, a Perfectly Acceptable Open World Game. There's stuff, you do the stuff to open up more stuff, then you do that stuff and it's topped off with a unique enough gimmick in building your car and the focus on car combat that I could easily imagine it having a fairly long tail, interest-wise.

It's just that they apparently misjudged the amount of interest amongst potential customers in Fury Road coming out vis a vis a new Metal Gear game coming out.

Or three weeks ago someone at WB went "Metal Gear is out when? Oh no. Ohnoohnoohno..."

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    if it came out next week it would have to face such competition as Armikrog, Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX, Tearaway Unfolded, and Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    #pipe wrote: »
    Is it just me or are the farcry servers hot garbage?

I've never been able to stay in a co-op session longer than about 10 minutes before it dropping and I've never been able to finish a multiplayer round.

I'm 4 cheevos away from the platinum and they're all easy co-op and multi goals but I can't get them done :[

Douglas and I couldn't even connect last night.

So off my limited experience I'd say yes, yes they are.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    if it came out next week it would have to face such competition as Armikrog, Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX, Tearaway Unfolded, and Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse

Releasing Mad Max literally any week in September except the first would have made far more sense.

• Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    The Far Cry 4 servers are terrible! I've had so many problems with them. On another note I finished the main story today. I still have a lot of question marks left on the map, but I'll take my time with what is left.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I painted Ajay's recurve bow purple for Hawkguy

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I painted Ajay's recurve bow purple for Hawkguy

BROTHER

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

Releasing Mad Max literally any week in September except the first would have made far more sense.

I think it's possible you guys are overestimating Metal Gear Solid's general appeal and way underestimating marketing's ability to make something appeal to a general audience.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    MGS4 sold roughly 6 million copies

It isn't GTA or CoD numbers but it absolutely has a wider appeal than the Mad Max game imo.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    The 15th is Taken King day as well

Though I guess that's more grabbing the attention of a pre-installed audience than gaining new ones

Still, I can't imagine Destiny fans having time for too many other games once it hits

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'm not saying that MGS isn't a big franchise. I'm saying that it's not a game you look at and go "oh shit, better not go head to head," because Mad Max is at least as much in the zeitgeist now as MGS is and if you plaster Gamestops with Mad Max ads you'll probably do ok.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    So when does the open world Zelda game come out? Because that is still a thing I really, really want. A lot.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    Gamespot had a Max Max livestream that'll probably be archived and up soon.

They said that it auto-generates scenery if you leave the map, so even though there's no content out there, you can apparently just keep driving until you run out of fuel.

Based on preliminary tests, LIES! There's a generous border of scenery around the map where it warns you that you're leaving, but once you hit a certain border everything just becomes a flat plain with a dust-storm obscuring the view in every direction and your health just flatlines.

Which is a shame, the other thing sounded way cooler in a totally inconsequential way.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    So when does the open world Zelda game come out? Because that is still a thing I really, really want. A lot.

We don't know. Probably some time next year.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    The 15th is Taken King day as well

Though I guess that's more grabbing the attention of a pre-installed audience than gaining new ones

Still, I can't imagine Destiny fans having time for too many other games once it hits

i dunno, given how quickly they're opening the max level raid, i'm having more and more concerns about how much actual content is going to be in TTK

Definitely like, two solid weeks worth for sure

But more than that? I'm unsure.

• Options
    I guess it depends how much you like to raid and pvp.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Idk why there's a tower in Southern Kyrat that is guarded by soldiers with the best ar and second best sniper (Northern Kyrat weapons) in the game.

But I'm glad there is.

JusticeforPluto on
  • Options
    Pulled Mad Max out of a Redbox today

So far, I think it's kind of okay while also I don't like anything in it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I thought Mad Max was great. I mean, I completely understand why it wouldn't do anything for a lot of people, but it really worked for me.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Pulled Mad Max out of a Redbox today

So far, I think it's kind of okay while also I don't like anything in it

Yeah. It didn't help that I'd been playing a lot of MGS V and it's better in any way but it did nothing for me. It was an entirely competent game that wasn't on fire.

3 hours in, I realized I could've just watched Road Warrior and Fury Road and then played some more MGS V and it would've been a way better experience and so I stopped playing.

• Options
    Mad Max would've been a fantastic game in...2007?

The bar's been set a lot higher than this now, though

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I really liked the car combat (pulling guys out of cars never gets old) and actually preferred the on foot combat over the last few Batman games. The fury mode animations are so great.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    Mad Max is a really good game

Definitely my biggest surprise of the year so far, I wasn't expecting much

• Options
    I returned it after like an hour

I was really not feeling it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Is that even enough time to get to the proper open world? I forget.

• Options
    It was enough for me to know I really don't like how Max, the camera, or driving controls

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    I found controlling Max very floaty and frustrating and the combat can't even touch Arkham...and we had an Arkham game this year. The car stuff was fine but it just drove (ha!) home the point even harder that forget this, I can wait for UNLIMITED C4 and all the tethers I can want in Just Cause 3.

• Options
    I found controlling Max very floaty and frustrating and the combat can't even touch Arkham...and we had an Arkham game this year. The car stuff was fine but it just drove (ha!) home the point even harder that forget this, I can wait for UNLIMITED C4 and all the tethers I can want in Just Cause 3.

See, I think the combat in the last few Arkham games is overly complicated. Rocksteady just keep trying to throw a zillion different abilities and enemy types into it when they had it pretty much perfect in Asylum. I found the simplified combat in Mad Max kind of refreshing.

• Options
    100% onboard with that sentiment

Combat was best in Arkham City

Way too many types in AK to the point where combat becomes an annoyance instead of a fun thing to do

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Arkham Knight's problem wasn't really that there were too many many enemy types, it's that the types that were new to that game were huge assholes.

Edit: Also Mad Max and Arkham combat are barely the same the the point where I don't think they should even be compared. Mad Max isn't nearly as tight and it doesn't have half the options the Arkham games do. The tempos are also completely different. They share counter icons and that's pretty much it. The one game you can say has Arkham combat is Shadow of Mordor because holy shit that is literally just a carbon copy of the Arkham combat to like, a ridiculous degree.

At first Mad Max's combat is kinda too simple and a little messy, but the more you level up Max and get new combat skills the more satisfying I find it. Wall chain finishers, rage ground kills, weapon disarms, they all feel really cool. I also really enjoy shoulder checking dudes into railings and making them flip over.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    Picked up Akham Origins and Shadow of Mordor on a steam sale. Foolishly I decided to try Shadow of Mordor before I finished playing through Origins and now I have to force myself to start Origins because I find myself losing hours to roaming around and branding a bunch of Uruk just so that I can explode a bunch of heads at the same time.

Arkham Origins is not nearly as fun as Asylum or City were.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Every Arkham game was worse than the last.

They basically caught the Ubisoft bug that makes you suddenly think "more game" is synonymous with "better game"

Maddoc on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Every Arkham game was worse than the last.

Arkham City improved on the gameplay of Asylum in every conceivable way. Combat was better, predator rooms were better.

You can argue that the level design or the story wasn't as strong in City, but City will always be my favorite from a pure gameplay standpoint

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    I played through Arkham Origins mostly to gain a better appreciation of how polished Arkham Asylum and City are. There are a lot of corners you get hung up on using your grappling hook, there are puzzles that are clunky, animations don't quite always blend as well. It's all the sort of stuff that could be fine tuned with more playtesting and adjusting variables.

It's still pretty much one of the only good games themed around Christmas, up there with the original Twisted Metal.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I appreciated having a Metroidvania Batman game and an open world Batman game. This let Rocksteady play to their strengths. However, there are so many well documented pitfalls concerning open world games that they fell into, that keeping a tight reign on their next open world series should be paramount.