As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater - Pretending I'm a Superman

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Tony Hawk games have never ever had good graphics and I don't know why people are so shocked that that continues with this one

Especially when it almost certainly had a lot of budget constraints

I doubt Activision was shelling out much for this one

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Are we talking about Skate in here too? And other skating games?

Because real talk, metal gear solid 2 is the only game that had a demo more compelling to me than the first Skate. I played the demo for Skate for approximately a million hours.

Also Grind Session was a legit awesome skating game and was my second favorite after the Tony Hawk games for the longest time.

Also Aggressive Inline was fucking rad and behind Tony Hawk 2 and Skate is the best skating game I've ever played.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Tony Hawk games have never ever had good graphics and I don't know why people are so shocked that that continues with this one

Especially when it almost certainly had a lot of budget constraints

I doubt Activision was shelling out much for this one

Why are people saying that?

THPS2 and THPS4 definately looked good for their time.

I remember Project 8 looking decent too.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    First... No Rodney Mullen?

Second, I will defend THUG for the simple fact you only needed to do the last boss/skate/thing once, and after that you would just punch the goose in his face and take your demo tape back.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    THUG was the best game from a content standpoint. It had all of the levels, tricks, music, skate videos, customization and characters you could want out of one of those games. The problem of combo escalation had long since ruined any sense of accomplishment but it was that perfect PS2 era Tony Hawk game before Neversoft just threw their hands up and said "I don't know man, put Steve O on a mechanical bull..."

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I'm also biased since it lets you skate in Balboa park in San Diego (my hometown) and it was cool to see it in digital form (and Hawaii to a similar extent since I visited that little strip mall and area during my time in the navy).

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I don't know man. Tony Hawk's combo system is boring as fuck to me. It's just a series of systems for remembering really simple button combos and playing "keep this arrow in the middle of a bar". There's no challenge to anything, no creativity, and yeah you can come up with your own lines but it's ultimately just going to boil down to the path of least resistance which always happens to be a convenient and deliberate loop of literal rails.

Grind to grind is definitely not the best way to combo, especially with decreasing score for the same trick. The more grinds you do, the harder the balance gets as well. It's almost always ramp, to grinds, flip moves, manuals, to more ramps.

If you really want mad and/or sick points, you need to get creative. Especially with reverts and manuals.

THPS4 was one of the greatest games I've ever played and I won't hear anything bad about it! :rotate:

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    I was initially excited about THPS5 but the more I think about it, the more I realize that I'm not really interested in another arcade-y high score based skating game

what I really want is a huge open world skating game with current gen graphics

so basically skate 4

but with a slightly more forgiving trick system

• Options
    Yeah you're supposed to hit tricks between the rails be it a manual or something off a quarter pipe...but it's all determined by where the rails go and using them to keep up speed.

Honestly if they just let you have all for wheels touch the ground ever, let's say for five seconds, without ending your combo they could do away with a lot of the goofy physics and open up the levels to more exploration and creativity.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Grind Session felt bad to me in the same way that Tony Hawk HD did. It felt like Tony Hawk with something "off"

Aggressive Inline is abso-fucking-lutely amazing

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Grind Session was basically the developers of that game getting a Tony Hawk 1.5 in before THPS 2 released.

Similarly ESPN X-Games was an attempt to get a PS2 skateboarding game in before Neversoft. Great effects on the clothing and the sense of speed though.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    I remember the Matt Hoffman games being pretty fun (before you know, XXX).

Though yeah, Agressive Inline was really great.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I really never was able to get into Skate at all.

I tried and tried but the trick system was just frustrating to the point of being infuriating to me as a fan of the tony hawk series where the challenge wasn't in doing single tricks but linking together large lines of tricks through the levels in the most efficient way possible.

• Options
    There's just no sense of accomplishment in the Tony Hawk games. You can have the worst stats possible and be a Rodney Mullen level flatland legend by spamming buttons like you're trying to blindly find what your character's moves are in Mortal Kombat. It doesn't even reward that either as both flatland, and natas spins kill momentum dead meaning that deviating from the rail to ramp to rail pattern does nothing other than trap you in the middle of a level with your balance meter depleting.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I remember the Matt Hoffman games being pretty fun (before you know, XXX).

Though yeah, Agressive Inline was really great.

XXX was Dave Mirra

Dave Mirra Freestyle was not great but Dave Mirra 2? One of the most fun games I played during the first year of the PS2. Amazing soundtrack too

Mat Hoffman on PS1, also known as "Tony Hawk with bikes" was pretty damn fun, although your THPS instincts would often betray you in terms of landing the wrong way. And an even better soundtrack! Mat Hoffman 1 actually had the best soundtrack of any extreme sports game IMO

I never did play Mat Hoffman 2 or BMX XXX though

• Options
    For me Skate brought back the sense of accomplishment to skating; by the time Tony Hawk petered out it wasn't what I wanted, it felt like there wasn't any real challenge left to it. In Skate it was an accomplishment to even land a grind, let alone trick into or out of it, and if you figured out vert you felt like a golden god. I really do love those games.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I Loved Tony Hawk feverishly. I have two older brothers and I was the one who would finish missions they couldn't. I still remember how much of a smart ass I acted like when I could finish all challenges in a single run.

Skate was a whole other thing, though. It was like an RPG to Tony Hawk's fighting game.

• Options
    I listened to a good majority of the soundtrack for THPS5 today

Really dug pretty much everything I heard!

• Options
    speaking of skate games, I should get back to Olli Olli sometime

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I spent like 3 hours straight one night trying to do a ridiculous line I thought up in Skate 2

No real reason, ended up not pulling it off, but it was a fun 3 hours. I loved those games

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Have people mentioned Street Sk8er? In the days before Tony Hawk, I thought it was a great game, and it had a good soundtrack. Or at least, young me thought so.

Also, that wakeboarding game for the PS2 was super fun

• Options
    skate 3 was my go-to "relax and maybe listen to a podcast" game after I finished everything in burnout paradise

• Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    i played some thps 3 today and it was real good, everybody. it was great

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Tony hawk 2 gba owned

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I didn't get a playstation until a couple years into the lifespan of the PS2, so THPS was one of those games that I'd just end up playing when I went to one of my cousins' houses. That and Twisted Metal 2, those were games that I played enough to know they were super fun, but never enough to be, like, actually good at them.

Like, I think I eventually played one or two of them on the N64, but they were always "games I played on my cousin's playstation"

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I got a demo disc from a magazine or something for THPS1 and I'm pretty sure I put in like 20 hours into that dumb demo.

I'll probably buy this just for the nostalgia of playing a THPS game.

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »
    I got a demo disc from a magazine or something for THPS1 and I'm pretty sure I put in like 20 hours into that dumb demo.

I'll probably buy this just for the nostalgia of playing a THPS game.

I spent every day of that summer playing that demo for like an hour.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    I rented THPS1 an embarrassing number of times

if you added all those fees up I probably could have bought it twice over

• Options
    I actually didn't play the full game of THPS1 until after 2 came out

I abused the Pizza Hut demo disc and then after I finished THPS2 completely, I went back and grabbed part 1 as it was a $20 Greatest Hit by that time

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    AGGRESSIVE ONLINE WAS SO GOOD

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    AGGRESSIVE ONLINE WAS SO GOOD

Oh yeah for sure, Z-Axis had their stuff together the first two Dave Mirra game are great well way better mechanics then the Mat Hoffman games even if some of the objectives were absurd.

• Options
    It took young me a really long time to adjust to the Metroid aspects of that game; I was used to annihilating a level and then moving on, the idea that I'd have to go back to levels once I had better skills to reach stuff that I couldn't before was just too weird.

• Options
    I loved everything about Skate but man, some of those tricks just were impossible to pull off for me.

Still, just skating around the city, finding a sweet line and just trying to bust cooler tricks was a really fantastic experience.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    i played some thps 3 today and it was real good, everybody. it was great

I bought a copy of that, 4 and THUG 1 a couple months back

They are all still really good.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I enjoyed the Tony Hawk games, even if I just could not get very good at them for the life of me.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I kinda want to go get a THPS3 and play it on my Vita now.

In fact I think THPS is probably the most at home on portables now.

EDIT: Forgot, that Olli Olli is a really neat skateboard game. I may go play that instead.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    ...you can't play the THPS games on Vita...?

• Options
    ...you can't play the THPS games on Vita...?

I thought they would have the ps1 versions on psn by now. Damn

• Options
    I wouldn't ever expect anything with licensed music to come out on a VC-type service

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    The Skate games definitely had a steep learning curve, but it was so rewarding once you got the hang of it. I think that's why I liked just roaming around doing my own thing.

I love the Tony Hawk games, but the playstyle doesn't make me wanna just skate around or build parks. I just go after the goals in levels