Options

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater - Pretending I'm a Superman

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    also they don't have horse or graffiti so what is even the point

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    from the quicklook this doesn't look like a pile of garbage but it seems like it falls pretty short of the old THPS games
    The actual mechanics seem okay but everything else looks like a pile of garbage

The forced multi-player elements, the level design, the visuals, the basic UI

Just goddamn

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    how do you make a Tony Hawk game without Horse

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    from the quicklook this doesn't look like a pile of garbage but it seems like it falls pretty short of the old THPS games
    The actual mechanics seem okay but everything else looks like a pile of garbage

The forced multi-player elements, the level design, the visuals, the basic UI

Just goddamn

and they don't even do anything with the mechanics

all the levels look dull and the missions are wholly uninteresting

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    The old THPS games had really good level design. Compared to them these levels are very uninspired.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    These levels look like work-in-progress for real THPS levels.

Like "we threw these together to get a rough estimate of lines and such and then we'll flesh it out closer to launch".

13iepvv6o8ip.png
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I think this might have been a lot better with another half a year or year in the oven. It does come off as very half-baked for a $60 game.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I wouldn't pay $20 for this

• Options
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    This game looks like a bad looking PS3 game.

• Options
    weezy please

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Goddammit

Even with all my lowered expectations, this is...bad

I was so worried for months that they wouldn't get the feel right

The sad irony here is that they did, but everything else about it is so poor

Mr. G is spot on. Instancing into goals is stupid, and even though you can start privately, after completing a goal or two, they throw your preference out the window and populate your game with other people

Holding Square to bring up missions when you're near markers straight up doesn't work sometimes

You have to back all the way out to the main menu to allocate skill points

And after doing all the goals in the first level, only one of them (clearing the pool of beach balls) was any fun at all

AND THEY TOOK OUT FLATLAND TRICKS WHAT THE FUCK

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Well at least the radio showed me I'll never forget the old games, apparently all I have to do to endlessly picture the original Tony Hawk games is hear this song
    https://youtu.be/LBQ2305fLeA

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    So can i just get tony hawk 3 or 4 on ps3 then and pretend that's what this is

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    So can i just get tony hawk 3 or 4 on ps3 then and pretend that's what this is

Look I can't tell you if you want this game or not, but based on the Giant Bomb quick look it is not good. I can't claim to have more than a passing interest in the Tony Hawk games. I know I liked the games on the Playstation and PS2, and I owned the Gamecube version of... 3 I believe and enjoyed it. This game seems to poorly try to capture the feeling of them. The parks all seem lifeless and uninspired, the objectives variants on the same thing. No HORSE. I would not recommend spending $60 for this at all. It looks very bad.

• Options
    Well at least the radio showed me I'll never forget the old games, apparently all I have to do to endlessly picture the original Tony Hawk games is hear this song
    https://youtu.be/LBQ2305fLeA

my "song that makes me think of THPS" is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAHutq4iByw

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    That

Isn't what they were asking

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    But yeah, just pick up THPS3 and you will be happy.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Man, this is just a bummer.
    Like, this could have actually been something, right? It seems completely possible to make a new, good Tony Hawk game, but this just isn't it.
    Calling it THPS 5 and hyping it up so much as a return to form, and then half assing it so badly. Just... man...

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    a guy told me i looked like tony hawk the other day

i'd like to apologize on behalf of the hawk regarding his (our, basically our) product

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Watching the Quick Look made me realize that I actually don't think I want a new Tony Hawk that's like the old ones. I'd like a new new one, different from the old ones and different from Skate also, but 5 is zero percent what I want and might have been even if it were good.

• Options
    I never played Horse

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I never played Horse

Yeah is horse a thing they added after pro skater 2 or something

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    what's funny is, i think even from the Conan review, the game looked bad. Like Tony Hawk even kind of looked depressed at it

Arch,
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I never played Horse

It's a game mode in 3 and 4. One player has a limited amount of time to start a combo. Then the other player has to beat it. It goes back and forth until someone doesn't beat where the score is at, and then that person gets a letter. The score resets, etc, and you go until the loser spells Horse (or whatever word you change it to).

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I never played Horse

It's a game mode in 3 and 4. One player has a limited amount of time to start a combo. Then the other player has to beat it. It goes back and forth until someone doesn't beat where the score is at, and then that person gets a letter. The score resets, etc, and you go until the loser spells Horse (or whatever word you change it to).

(penis)

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but when I think of Tony Hawk games (or really, just 3), I think of levels that were well detailed with a lot of variety in looks and layout, that seemed to mostly have had a lot of thought put into them.

And in this quick look, all the levels look like bad player created levels with the main thing that separates them being the colour of the ground.

And how does a game that looks this basic and drab have a bad frame rate?

I was so ready for a good Tony Hawk too.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Did anyone play anything other than penis? Honestly?

• Options
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but when I think of Tony Hawk games (or really, just 3), I think of levels that were well detailed with a lot of variety in looks and layout, that seemed to mostly have had a lot of thought put into them.

And in this quick look, all the levels look like bad player created levels with the main thing that separates them being the colour of the ground.

And how does a game that looks this basic and drab have a bad frame rate?

I was so ready for a good Tony Hawk too.

yeah, specific levels like marseilles in thps 2 and or Los Angeles in thps 3 had really great flow.

Arch,
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    These levels look like work-in-progress for real THPS levels.

Like "we threw these together to get a rough estimate of lines and such and then we'll flesh it out closer to launch".

I never want to be this guy

But I feel like this would've been the Tony Hawk game we were all hoping for if it didn't have multiplayer

It feels like that has to be the reason everything but the core mechanics are ao half-baked

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Dude at GameStop gave me back the full $60 instead of the $30 in trade-in I expected to get

Since it was unexpected cash I gave that guy an extra preorder for his numbers and pre-ordered The Nathan Drake Collection

The end of what could have been a beautiful day

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Here's Polygon's Overview of THPS5 and

holy shit the opening minute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRGoN9uSL6E&feature=youtu.be

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Yikes

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    And then...ya know...the rest of it, too.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I haven't had any major issues with the game and have enjoyed the little bit I have played of it (I am just messing around for half an hour and then exiting, really). I did fall through the floor once and clip through "the corner" ramp in the Berrics but other than that, not too bad.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    got 2 tonys here

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Man, now I just feel bad for the devs and Tony Hawk.
    Sad that thing couldn't come together.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Here's Polygon's Overview of THPS5 and

holy shit the opening minute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRGoN9uSL6E&feature=youtu.be

Hahah, how they just stop and look at other players , and can visibly see them glitching out hard also

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    God it must have been a shitty day at Robomodo

It really feels like they were Activisioned out of pulling it off this time

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Yeah like

Through all of this, I still don't feel like Robomodo is a bad dev or anything

They were shoehorned into three different projects, all of which seemed bound for disaster anyways

And then when they finally get a chance to make their own mark, they get this obviously rushed thing that clearly had no funding put behind it