Options

Smash Bros. is Video Games: The Game: The Reckoning

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Robin requires a tremendous amount of investment to learn; Ness in comparison is brutally, brutally simple

They're probably the least beginner-friendly character in the game

But if you relaly like them then play them; I've fought Robins that would make your hair stand on end

I may not be the best to listen to in that respect, though; I have always mained Ganondorf when he was available, especially in Brawl
    I also think Robin gives the least return out of time investment into figuring them out.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Yeah I don't mean to say Ganondorf isn't good now; he's definitely not bottom-tier anymore

I just mean to say I play him regardless because I like his character, and I'd continue to do so even if he was as bad now as he was in Brawl

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Okay, Zelda hasn't changed much so it was pretty easy to pick her back up. I like that she doesn't turn into Sheik anymore, that would sometimes trip me up in a fight. Mario is still my nemesis as usual, but managed to unlock Falco and Dr Mario.

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    It probably says more about me than Robin but I haven't found her to be less effective at all. She's one of my better secondary characters.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Dedede frame data is up on Kurogane Hammer.

I get the feeling they like Dedede.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    He is the King.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    It probably says more about me than Robin but I haven't found her to be less effective at all. She's one of my better secondary characters.

i don't mean to say she isn't effective

i mean to say that unless you have a reason in particular to want to play that specific character, i would bet you'd have fun playing someone else

but always always play who you like/love

and if they're bad pick up a top tier secondary to cover your bad matchups

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    I love playing Zelda, always have. Mario however seems to be able to counter me perfectly. Dr Mario too, every time I go up against one of those 1v1 I'm probably going to take a whole lot of damage before wiping them out.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Oh, Robin's fine. Quite good, even.

It's just that there's a lot more to figure out to get good than with most other similarly good characters.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    robin is terrible though...?

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    You could settle it in smash

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Huh, that's it for unlockable characters? I remember tons in Brawl, this was just eight. Mostly clones too.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    There were more unlockable in the 3DS version, including characters like Ganon. They shifted some of them into "already unlocked" status for the Wii U release so more people could get right into using their favorite.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Huh, that's it for unlockable characters? I remember tons in Brawl, this was just eight. Mostly clones too.

You unlock ROB and Duck Hunt way later than a lot of the others. Do you have those two, yet?

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Anyone wanna fight? I wanna fight! @Wyborn ?

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Oh man I just had a great 5-match series against a Lucina. I won 2, he won 2, then the fifth match went to FD and I feel pretty good about what happened there.
    https://youtu.be/qtL7KliHEDw
    Get fiiiit!

Rainfall on
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    Trying to edge guard WFT that keeps her recovery protected is a hassle. I haven't had enough time facing her to figure out what works.

3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    MetaHybrid wrote: »
    Trying to edge guard WFT that keeps her recovery protected is a hassle. I haven't had enough time facing her to figure out what works.

Mostly don't? If they're high they can charge SS (which cancels into a dodge or can protect their recovery,) if they're low they can stage spike you with well timed hoops, and if they're anywhere they can toss out headers and potentially spike, plus their ordinary aerials are just mean.

You can absolutely capitalize on someone doing Deep Breathing offstage, they're vulnerable right after it completes the charge (or they fail) but they can dodge cancel at any point while doing it.

Wyborn has spent a bunch of time fighting my WFT so he probably has better input on how to punish, but it seems to me like it's a hard offstage game to beat.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »

You unlock ROB and Duck Hunt way later than a lot of the others. Do you have those two, yet?

Not ROB, I fucked that one up by going "one more" on Round 12 against Giant Meta Knight. Duck Hunt I did get once I figured out the trick to Cruel Melee: they absolutely suck at recovery, so grab Link and start hookshot grabbing them then punt them off the edge. Got 12 KO's that way before they slipped past.

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    there is a chance i'll want to smash this afternoon (like maybe 5 or 6 pdt ((we're still on daylight savings right))) it'd be cool if you guys wanted to fight

i'll probably just play marth i do best with him online cuz it's relatively slow spokes and spacing

plus it's probably a placebo effect but i s2g they made the last hit of marth's neutral dancing blade kill a bit better in the last patch

also this is a total aside but i wish marth's shield breaker animation was as cool as lucina's

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    i might be around but i know our connection isnt always the most consistent thing in the world

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I'd probably be up for a round. Not sure I can win, but I figure I can at least hope to not suck.

• Options
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Oh man I just had a great 5-match series against a Lucina. I won 2, he won 2, then the fifth match went to FD and I feel pretty good about what happened there.
    https://youtu.be/qtL7KliHEDw
    Get fiiiit!

Get fit, eat shit indeed

God, that DSmash buff is insane. It hits like one of Ganon's smashes, now - it might kill more surely than any of his on some characters, thanks to its low trajectory, and it still comes out lightning fast on both sides

Sorry I missed you earlier, @Rainfall . Let me know again and we can throw down for a little while

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    I'd probably be up for a round. Not sure I can win, but I figure I can at least hope to not suck.

i'm really only okay at smash, i just try to play thoughtfully and have a good sense of spacing and prediction/reaction

plus i've recently managed to become very zen about fighting games and only really put my heart and back into it when asked or when it's established that's what's gonna happen

life's too shitty to get mad about video games, so i have fun instead, would recommend
    i might be around but i know our connection isnt always the most consistent thing in the world

always worth a shot

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

i'm really only okay at smash, i just try to play thoughtfully and have a good sense of spacing and prediction/reaction

plus i've recently managed to become very zen about fighting games and only really put my heart and back into it when asked or when it's established that's what's gonna happen

life's too shitty to get mad about video games, so i have fun instead, would recommend

Generally been my goal, yeah. I forget. We friends on Wii U?

Should be listed under "Chiasaur" or "Anderson".

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    anybody up for a few games?

• Options
    Whoops I'm not going home tonight

But I really do wanna smash with you guys soon

Rainchecks all around

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWiCBgw3YWc

this Little Mac was not very good

• Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    I've been messing around with Charizard again, and the recent buffs have really helped me get a better grasp on matches.

Downthrow combos into fair, upthrow kills. Just those two things were enough for me to take on some scary players, otherwise I'm fishing for smash kills. Fly can also kill out of shield giving him another option to KO when he blocks.

Still killing myself off stage a lot, his jumps and recovery are pretty bad.

3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    If this is science going too far our inevitable cyberpunk dystopia is going to be adorable

cB557 on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    shit

I already have a Yarn Yoshi

but he's not giant......

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    So, as someone who does not play this, but loves watching matches of this and street fighter I saw ryu, and I saw a video of how ryu works in smash....is he good? Does it work? It seems like he would be at a disadvantage just because the inputs are more complicated, but might give him a higher skill ceiling?

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I can't speak to like, the competitive scene, but Ryu is a ton of fun and I do well when I play him

The advantage with the inputs is not so much that if you can't do them it's not like you can't just do the B button ones

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    its particularly important to be able to do the inputs for shoryuken though

there is a pretty big difference in kill %s there

and yeah ryu is fun and good but the skill ceiling is pretty high I think

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    So, as someone who does not play this, but loves watching matches of this and street fighter I saw ryu, and I saw a video of how ryu works in smash....is he good? Does it work? It seems like he would be at a disadvantage just because the inputs are more complicated, but might give him a higher skill ceiling?

Imo Ryu is a tippy top tier that people aren't putting time into because

a.) People definitely find the inputs daunting and it's crucial you can at LEAST consistently do ex dp and red fireball imo

b.) Has the most amount of genuine techskill in the game with his combo game and focus attack/focus attack dash cancels

C.) You can get better results faster with easier characters

But someday there's gonna be a ryu player unleashed on the world and people see I've been right all along

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    nintendo thread how do i fucking unlock new circuits in mario kart 8 what is the fucking deal with this shit

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    nintendo thread how do i fucking unlock new circuits in mario kart 8 what is the fucking deal with this shit

Are you going through the existing cups?

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I did the dlc cups so far

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Compared to Melee, Ryu is a breeze for inputs.

I think the thing is that Ryu was banned at EVO (because he was released too close to the tournament), so nobody was going to be putting in serious time on a character when the biggest Smash tournament of the year was a month away. Now that EVO is over, I imagine people interested in him have started practicing and we'll see how he fares.

YL9WnCY.png