Options

Smash Bros. is Video Games: The Game: The Reckoning

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    Not my style at all and I've gone over my frustration with getting tatsus all over when I don't want em

I just recognize strengths in characters when I see them

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    AbsurdPropositionAbsurdProposition Registered User regular
    @I Win Swordfights , in terms of top level players picking up Ryu, 6WX (widely regarded as one of the best Sonic players in the world) has been using Ryu in tournament as a secondary for about a month now. When I get home I'll try to find some twitch vods, because it's proof that Ryu at top level can be terrifying.

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    I don't think he's the best character in the game but I think he's more than endgame Meta material, he'll just take time to master

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    Those times when you meat a really skilled opponent on For Glory are great. I fought a Shiek a bit ago who bodied me in our first match, taking only 26% and killing my Charizard in under a minute. After that beating he gave me I thought he'd leave for sure, but he stuck around for one more match.

I won the second match with knowing his play style better along with an up smash read, but it was really close. Couldn't save the replay because I reached my limit, otherwise I would have uploaded to the replay channel because it was an awesome match.

3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    i guess that second game was really you meating him, huh?

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Need to find me some grade-A Ganon vids to watch

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Ryu's focus is not really a counter. It's meant to punish hard reads like a counter, yes, but you aren't nearly as vulnerable since cancelling it is a thing and can even get you some distance.

I'd compare it more to Mewtwo's Disable: a way to set-up for KOs

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I tried watching some how to play videos, but I kept finding videos made by the most annoying people.

I'm just going to continue getting better the same way I always have, which is like, whatever. I dunno.

McFlynn on
  • Options
    Ryu's focus is not really a counter. It's meant to punish hard reads like a counter, yes, but you aren't nearly as vulnerable since cancelling it is a thing and can even get you some distance.

I think you are selling it very short if that's all you think of it as

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Anybody up for some games in ten minutes or so?

• Options
    @GreasyKidsStuff

I'll play a few matches with my super secret character that you can't tell anyone I'm playing as, just in case I ever get good with said character.

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Sounds good, I'll make a room!

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Hmmmm

Hmmmmm

Edit: three things

Lag is not doing us any favors
    You're messing up my projectile game something fierce
    That recovery is very good

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    Lag bad.

But my super secret character, which is totally not Game and Watch, surprised me with the anti-samusness.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    I'm quite impressed with how fast you can rack up damage

Edit: I guess you could say that match was...... Cuccoo

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    Hmm. I may have the chicken switch on.

• Options
    Falco...... Betrayed by his feathered brethren

• Options
    GGs McFlynn

Still around if anybody is interested

• Options
    They prefer my super secret character, which totally doesn't have feathered wings like a chicken.

• Options
    McFlynn wrote: »
    I tried watching some how to play videos, but I kept finding videos made by the most annoying people.

I'm just going to continue getting better the same way I always have, which is like, whatever. I dunno.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EnqJZdIjGsk

This is just an intro, but the later videos are better. Especially various gordo stuff

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options

I think you are selling it very short if that's all you think of it as
    I don't play Ryu: I'm just saying calling focus attack a weak counter is shortsighted

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AbsurdPropositionAbsurdProposition Registered User regular
    @I Win Swordfights I found a twitch vod of a local tournament where 6WX exclusively went Ryu against some good opponents: twitch.tv/cpsiv/c/6998044. The times of his sets are 0:26:25, 0:40:00 (winner's finals), 1:33:35 (grand finals)

So far, the main two series of useful smash4 instructional videos I'm aware of are:

My Smash Corner (Lots of indepth info on specific topics, I highly recommend it for anybody who wants to learn more about the technical side of the game)
    Smash Theory (Series of short videos about more general topics of a serious match, more about the thought processes to apply in various situations. Would recommend more for players who are just starting to get competitive at the game, high level players won't find much they don't already know on some level)

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I would suggest Urban Legend in Limbo as a fighter that uses Smash-esque direction-button inputs, but that one's still way off the beaten path in terms of mechanics. Everyone's a projectile user, for example, but you can dash through projectiles, and it's all just a very different beast from Street Fighter.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Since I have less time to play now that semester has started back up, I've decided I'm going to learn a new character that I have zero experience with by also paying attention to guides, videos, and etc. Keep the game fresh when I do play. I've managed to become interested in a character who plays almost completely differently than I naturally do, so that's why I'm being so being dumb and acting like its a secret.

I trust @GreasyKidsStuff to not get all smug for beating me so much though. He's about as saltless as they come.

McFlynn on
  • Options
    Since I have less time to play now that semester has started back up, I've decided I'm going to learn a new character that I have zero experience with by also paying attention to guides, videos, and etc. Keep the game fresh when I do play. I've managed to become interested in a character who plays almost completely differently than I naturally do, so that's why I'm being so being dumb and acting like its a secret.

I trust @GreasyKidsStuff to not get all smug for beating me so much though. He's about as saltless as they come.

Aw shucks

Honestly, I felt really bad the first couple games for how much I tossed you around. "They'll never learn this way," I thought.

You got a lot better as it went on, though. I'm excited to see you improve. This actually got me thinking maybe I could start working on another character.

• Options
    Well, at least until I get Mario Maker. That might own my WiiU for awhile.

• Options
    So I beat this guy on Pikachu as Mewtwo, and he calls me CAMPER and then switches to Sheik (because playing one of the best characters in the game against one of the worst is clearly just and honorable?) and then despite beating me up manages to choke and SD.

Naturally, I switch to my delightful "GoodGames!" tag, to which he gives an anguished NO and I promptly leave.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Is Mewtwo considered one of the worst? He seems pretty good in this one

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    The August reddit tier list put him among the bottom five. Better than Ganondorf, Palutena, Zelda, and Samus. Reddit tier list, so grain of salt and all that, but people in general have been down on him.

Mewtwo is the second lightest character in the game, and unlike a lot of similar characters (Jigglypuff, Game & Watch) he isn't small and therefore he's easy to combo AND dies quickly. He's also floaty as hell which makes landing difficult since your fall speed is so slow. He's also not super fast, and his frame data isn't the best. Yes, he possesses a lot of raw power and is fun as hell to play with, but he gets eaten alive by most of the top tiers.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I

Hrm

I'm having trouble taking a tier list with Ganon in the bottom five seriously

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Other weird: play an obvious new player a lot and they played Mac but would ALWAYS up b when they got knocked off stage. No side B, not moving closer to the ledge first, and not even using their double jump. Just IMMEDIATE up b. And the weird thing is that they kept playing Mac over and over again, and I had just played Mac earlier so they had SEEN Mac's recovery options. It was bizarre.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    anybody up for a few games?

• Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I

Hrm

I'm having trouble taking a tier list with Ganon in the bottom five seriously
    This is without customs, if that makes more sense.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    let's rassle

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    let's rassle

ooooooo okay, I don't think we're friends yet. My NNID is in my sig (same as my name here)

• Options
    gimme a sec to warm the system up

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Ganon as a character is bad

Doesn't mean people can't play him well

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options

case in point: me and Samus

• Options
    edited August 2015
    saving the replay on that one fooooooor sure

edit: gritting my teeth that whole game

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    edited August 2015

I don't know that I buy this

He has like fifteen different kill moves that work below a hundred percent for everyone but Bowser

He's certainly hard to win with, one of the purest bait and punish characters to ever exist, but if you can outwit your opponent you can destroy them like with no one else. All it takes is one good read and it's over

I mean not that I don't like the idea of whipping all the ass with a bottom-tier dude - boy do I! - but I don't think Ganon fits there as he is now

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png