As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hotel costs and reviews for PAX south

ColeTColeT Registered User regular
Now that we're close to badge day for South, many of us are booking our hotels in advance of even badge release. For myself, I'm staying at the Riverwalk Plaza (.8 miles from the convention center) for a reasonable $118 a night. Did anyone stay there last year? Anything to avoid about that location? It seemed like a reasonable place to me.

225px-RedHat.svg.png

• ScaryGaryScaryGary Registered User regular
    I wasnt at that particular location, But the Riverwalk itself is super nice and easy to walk along (As long as the weather is good)

When I went down, I stayed at the Menger for the silly fact that it had a bunch of Ghosts and a Bar where "Teddy Rosevelt went to" It was an okay place to be. To be honest All of that area seemed pretty nice so you should be okay!

First Pax: Pax South 2015!!!
    Second Pax: PAX PRIME 2015!!
    Third Pax: PAX SOUTH 2016 GET HYPE!!!!
    Proud Alaskan!
  • Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    This is my post from last year's thread...
    Josh5890 wrote: »
    Well since it is over I thought we would start with the hotel reviews.

Hotel: Red Roof Inn ($99/night + taxes)

My buddy and I stayed there for the weekend. We chose it mostly for the cheap price since we were trying to keep the budget down. The lady at the desk was friendly at check-in, although they wanted to charge us the full stay at check in, which I have never had it happen to me before. The room was clean when we entered. We scored a room not facing the interstate so that was a big win. It was relatively quiet even though we were the room next to the laundry room and elevator. There is a nearby Dominos so that was a nice taste from home for us.

A couple bummers was the location. While it was within a quick 10 minute walk to the convention center, there wasn't a convenient store close. We couldn't buy any pop one night since the vending machine was empty (thanks a lot nerds) and there wasn't any nearby 7/11's that we saw. The water pressure from the shower was a lot faster than what I was used to at home. The water was hot though so it could have been worse. There was one night where the maid didn't leave fresh towels so we had to grab some at the desk.

Also, this didn't apply to us but parking a car costs an extra $10/night.

Overall I would definitely say the Red Roof Inn was very good to us. If you are tight on the cash you can't go wrong with this hotel. However for next year I'm going to try to get a room at the Hyatt or Marriot. I would love to be right at the event if possible.

This space for rent
  • PineappleChuckPineappleChuck Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I didn't get to go last year, but I got a room at the Hyatt for $188 with the AAA discount. I'll scrape up the extra to stay adjacent to the center after staying a mile away at RTX in Austin a couple weeks ago.

Edit: I should note that my reservation at the Hyatt is for 2016. Super stoked!

PineappleChuck on
  • fynixfynix Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    My husband and I stayed at the Grand Hyatt last year and really liked it. We were spoiled by the Westin at East, so having a hotel that "connected" was important to me, so $209/night is fine with me (that's the price OnPeak had for 2015). While booking this year (for 2016), the Hyatt's site was the same price, and paying for AAA just for this hotel reservation wasn't worth it for me, but our AMEX card gave us $100 off a $600 travel purchase, so \o/. We drove down from Austin (since we live there) and parking, while expensive, was easy enough. The Wifi was spotty at times, but that's to be expected for a hotel at a con.

The thing we actually remember the most are the nachos from the bar downstairs. I think those may be our breakfast, lunch, and dinner this year because they were that freaking good.

Edit: Changed year because I apparently can't remember that South was only at the beginning of this year. -.-

fynix on
  • buddha1231buddha1231 Appleton, WIRegistered User new member
    edited August 2015
    I stayed at the La Quinta Riverwalk, which is about a quarter-mile away. It was $144 a night, which for being like 5 minutes from the Convention center is pretty awesome, and I believe they also throw in parking for I think $5 (possibly a night, not too sure as I flew down from Wisconsin). Overall the place was pretty good, room was decent, beds comfortable, mini-fridge and TV in the room as well. Also the Denny's open 24/7 right outside was great for post-party grub.

buddha1231 on
  • ColeTColeT Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Last year me, some friends and my ex stayed at a house about 15 minutes outside of town (airbnb) and cabbed it in. While the house was great, the cost of the place plus cab fare all 3 days basically equalled staying at the Hyatt. I figured this time around, a hotel on the Riverwalk gives us a) a walkable distance b) cheap cab fair if necessary and c) plenty of food/drink options.

ColeT on
    225px-RedHat.svg.png
  • Bartoni33Bartoni33 Southern IllinoisRegistered User regular
    Last year I stayed at SpringHill Suites by Marriott San Antonio Alamo Plaza for around $650 for 4 nights. Very nice hotel, although the breakfast wasn't all that. It was about a 10 minute walk to PAX with a Denny's on the way and the Rivercenter Mall.

This year I'm going for SpringHill Suites by Marriott San Antonio Downtown for $555 for 4 nights because it's cheaper and a little closer to PAX.

ColeT wrote: »
    Now that we're close to badge day for South, many of us are booking our hotels in advance of even badge release. For myself, I'm staying at the Riverwalk Plaza (.8 miles from the convention center) for a reasonable $118 a night. Did anyone stay there last year? Anything to avoid about that location? It seemed like a reasonable place to me.

Just for a heads up the reviews for that hotel aren't stellar. I have used Booking. com for years when I travel and I can trust their reviews. Look here for that motels reviews: https://www.booking.com/hotel/us/riverwalk-plaza-san-antonio-texas.en-us.html?aid=398053;label=yahoog-JZpP_riovOLatfEuwyhTgQ;sid=38fcd36c08c161913903e010f730739c;dcid=1;checkin=2016-01-28;checkout=2016-02-01;ucfs=1;srfid=e8e3fea280376aa53e7980493f9a8c336881d2c3X10;highlight_room=5682102#tab-reviews

• ColeTColeT Registered User regular

So most of the complaints I'm not particularly worried about. I knew how far I was from the convention center and the main riverwalk in advance, I wasn't anticipating eating breakfast at the hotel, and meh for paid for parking (Boston is much worse). The main thing that attracted me (outside of price) was the constant mentions of clean rooms, and comfortable beds which seems like a no brainer for a hotel but I've constantly had problems with.

225px-RedHat.svg.png
  • gunadicgunadic Registered User regular
    Even though the number of hosts is much smaller then in other cities, AirBNB is still an option. Southtown is a really great place to stay as it's really the center of SA's food and arts scene. I got a place thats a 10 minute bike ride from the convention center for $70/night. I just did a quick check and prices are higher now, but comparable to hotel costs.

• br0ken_shad0wbr0ken_shad0w Registered User new member
    I didn't get to go last year, but I got a room at the Hyatt for $188 with the AAA discount. I'll scrape up the extra to stay adjacent to the center after staying a mile away at RTX in Austin a couple weeks ago.

Edit: I should note that my reservation at the Hyatt is for 2016. Super stoked!

I booked with the Hyatt as well because they were the only hotel nearby that would let me use my government discount.

• GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    I stayed at the Grand Hyatt last year. I stayed on points so the price didn't matter. The hotel itself is nice, if not beautiful. Rooms were well appointed. The rate online is sometimes cheaper than the onpeak rate as well so keep an eye on that. Tip: They have granola/yogurt things for I think $5 in little starbucks cafe area, and decently priced sandwiches during the day. This is decent based on east coast living, and the other options presented locally.

• DustyStarrDustyStarr Registered User regular
    Thinking of going with the Hyatt this year, but we are curious if there is a grocery store nearby?

I didn't see any near by. There's a few convenience stores, and all of the riverwalk is right there. There's a CVS on the riverwalk. Keep in mind there's no kitchenette.

Not even in a suite?

• MidanMidan Registered User regular
    The residence inn by Marriott has a kitchenette and a full sized fridge with freezer. It is only three blocks from the convention center. We stayed there last and staying there this year too. :)

DustyStarr wrote: »
    Not even in a suite?

I had a club room, but I don't believe the suites have kitchens either. It's just not that kind of hotel. More upclass and meant for people staying in town for business who have expense cards. My room did have a refrigerator though.

Around 1100 bucks four four nights in a double room at the Hyatt, take some dollars.

Excite. ^_^

• mayapplemayapple TennesseeRegistered User regular
    We also stayed at the Grand Hyatt last year. I am definitely staying here again. We had great customer service, with the exception of one evening while gaming in a common space that was apologized for many times by another manager. They seemed well prepped for the crowd, and more importantly the type of crowd. Nice rooms and they accommodated having multiple people in the room well. It doesn't hurt that my company has a corporate rate at like 60% of the website price.

I would say anywhere in the direct area would be good. We spent a lot of time walking through the Marriott Rivercenter and Riverwalk for food and to get to the food court that was there.
    There is a convenience store in the River Center mall, a tad pricey, but expected for the area. It had some wine and beer if I remember correctly. We took a cab to a grocery store one night coming back from dinner (that we also took a cab to) and it was under 15 bucks round trip. There is a liquor store within a few blocks and a CVS on the other side of the expo center from the Hyatt. We also ordered pizza from some place that was recommended by the hotel, and ordered jimmy johns and Chinese food directly to the convention center entrance. Lots of options that were reasonably priced, and honestly better prices for a group of us than ordering individually at a restaurant. This is why I really liked South in comparison to East, all this stuff was right nearby and convenient. I even ran into the mall to grab some things from a makeup counter. Also, all the parties (the like three that happened last year) were in walking distance.

e6txb8m8cavf.png

• AggressAggress Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Last year I stayed at the emilymorganhotel/ and it was great! They let us stay in the bar area even after closing time to drink and play cards against humanity. It's the closest hotel to the Alamo, which to me is kinda meh to see but my buddies liked it. Took me about 15 minutes to walk to the convention center.

Some reviews online say it is haunted but I am not a belieber of that stuff and was disappointing to find no Casper wannabes. My crew will be staying there again this year. *NOTE* they don't have an overly huge lobby for board games, but they let us do whatever in the bar/restaurant area (all open air feel).

• ChocorokoChocoroko ZU Video Editor Denton, TXRegistered User regular
    Me and a friend stayed at the Sheraton Hotel down the street from the con. Wasn't a terrible walking distance, no more than 10 minutes at least.

• HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    gunadic wrote: »
    Even though the number of hosts is much smaller then in other cities, AirBNB is still an option. Southtown is a really great place to stay as it's really the center of SA's food and arts scene. I got a place thats a 10 minute bike ride from the convention center for $70/night. I just did a quick check and prices are higher now, but comparable to hotel costs.

If I make it to South 2016, I'll consider this! Thought about it for Prime this year, but none of the Airbnb options were within walking distance by the time I looked it up.

"Perception is reality." -unknown
  • sacratoysacratoy Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    I have a booking currently for a Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds and Sofa Bed at the SpringHill Suites by Marriott San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza from the 28th till the 31st. Total cost (inc. tax), $591.

Whenever the roomsharing thread goes live, I guess I'll have an extra queen and a sofa bed to share :P

PAX Prime 2014: Pass [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Vacation Days [x]

PAX Prime 2014 Preparations Complete
    sacratoy wrote: »
    I have a booking currently for a Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds and Sofa Bed at the SpringHill Suites by Marriott San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza from the 28th till the 31st. Total cost (inc. tax), $591.

Whenever the roomsharing thread goes live, I guess I'll have an extra queen and a sofa bed to share :P

I stayed there last year. It was very nice, although the free breakfast was a big disappointment. I just walked a few blocks to Denny's because it's on the way to the Con. I decided this year to stay at the other Springhill Suites because it's a little closer to the Con. and a little cheaper too.

• sacratoysacratoy Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    Bartoni33 wrote: »
    sacratoy wrote: »

I stayed there last year. It was very nice, although the free breakfast was a big disappointment. I just walked a few blocks to Denny's because it's on the way to the Con. I decided this year to stay at the other Springhill Suites because it's a little closer to the Con. and a little cheaper too.

Thanks for your review! I missed it earlier in this thread. I actually just changed my reservation to that same hotel.

PAX Prime 2014: Pass [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Vacation Days [x]

PAX Prime 2014 Preparations Complete
  • jj4thjj4th Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I cannot say enough about the Staybridge Suites near the convention center. It's about a 5-7 minute leisurely walk from the convention center, $100 a night with spacious rooms and possibly the best hotel breakfast I've ever had. 4.3 stars on hotels.com, 4.2 stars on google. If I wasn't booked at the Grand Hyatt this year, I would be there.

Oh yeah, breakfast is free, as well as the WiFi

jj4th on
  • BrushwoodMuttBrushwoodMutt Registered User regular
    Has anyone been on the hotel registration section? Does anyone know which ones are good?

• xaldin87xaldin87 Gaymer SaTxRegistered User regular
    Selection and prices were fair. Got the Menger for $134 a night for 4 people.

The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.

• emarecksaykayemarecksaykay Registered User regular
    Honestly as long as you get a hotel somewhere along the Riverwalk, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Last year my group was kind of far away at the Hyatt Regency, which was about a ten minute walk from the convention center (we're a bit spoiled being at the Sheraton for Prime and Westin for East, usually), but the upside was how close we were to all the really great food places at night. Plus we could see the Alamo from our room which was kind of neat. This year we'll be at the Grand Hyatt, which will be convenient for the convention, but farther away from our new favorite PAX restaurants.

-mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    (You just say the letters)
  • dzinctiondzinction TexasRegistered User new member
    Last year I stayed at the Marriott Riverwalk and while it was under construction I thought it wasn't bad. I thought it was good enough to stay there again actually. Plus, it didn't hurt that they lowered their rates $10 and finished all of the renovations. It's right across the street from the convention center, within walking distance from all the nightlife, and cheaper than the Hyatt that is connected to the convention center. I.E. $189 v $234.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    I stayed at the Hilton last year. It was good and pretty close to the convention center. My room (and I think all of them) had a mini-fridge. My only complaint was the room didn't have a tub.

Looking at the prices and locations, does anyone have experience with:
    • Menger
    • Farfield Inn
    • Springhill

I know someone has already posted about Springhill but I was wondering if others also had positive experiences there.

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Last year I stayed at the Best Western Plus Sunset Suites-Riverwalk, and booked there again this year. It's only $88 a night, and 0.3 miles from the convention center. My room was surprisingly big, they had excellent breakfast options, and the wifi was the most stable I've ever had at a hotel (although that might decline if more PAX folk with all their devices stay there this year). The parking options apparently aren't great, according to reviews I've read, but I didn't bother to rent a car last year and was well within range of everything I needed.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • xThanatoSxxThanatoSx Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    • Menger
    • Farfield Inn
    • Springhill

I know someone has already posted about Springhill but I was wondering if others also had positive experiences there.

Last year my wife and I stayed at the Fairfield Marriott on Santa Rosa, which was a little over a mile from the Convention Center. It was a perfectly fine room, and walking the mile+ to the con each way wasn't horrible.

Having said that, this year we're at the Springhill Suites that's about .5 miles from the convention center. We walked past it last year going to and from and constantly said "that might have been a better option" :}

xThanatoSx on
  • UNHMANUNHMAN [E] Registered User regular
    • Menger
    • Farfield Inn
    • Springhill

I stayed last year at The Menger. It was an OK hotel. Nothing really outstanding about it. Be warned however it is a pet friendly hotel apparently and I got wicked runny nose because of it.

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Some of my friends stayed at the Menger last year and apparently had an ant issue in the bathroom. It's an old school hotel so it's bound to have issues.

Also, I got a room at the Crockett this year since it's like $150/night. I would've liked to stay at the Hyatt but for $100 less a night I had to go for what seemed fair, plus it's only half a mileish away so whatever.

• MyaSharonaMyaSharona Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    UNHMAN wrote: »
    • Menger
    • Farfield Inn
    • Springhill

I stayed last year at The Menger. It was an OK hotel. Nothing really outstanding about it. Be warned however it is a pet friendly hotel apparently and I got wicked runny nose because of it.

I stayed there last year as well.
    They put my husband and I in a room with two single beds despite calling to confirm accommodations the day before. The hotel was fine, the pub was cute and the Alamo was fun, but I did not book there again.

The great thing about Pax South is that, unlike in Boston, everything is very walk-able so you really can't go wrong hotel wise.
    Don't get me wrong, I loved going to Pax East and hanging out in Boston but you either walked a ways in the cold or you dealt with the touch-and-go shuttle. It's manage-able but San Antonio is far more convenient in terms of accommodations and conditions.

MyaSharona on
  • jthom252jthom252 Duarte, CARegistered User regular
    I've stayed at the Springhill in Seattle and I love it, can anyone tell me if the San Antonio one is comparable or better in any ways? I originally wanted Residence but by the time I got to the site the days I wanted weren't available.

edited September 2015
    I got the Crockett as a placeholder, especially since the others seemed to all be booked from waiting to decide. Anyways, simply because I have to watch my money, the Red Roof Inn is the same distance and cheaper, has anyone stayed there? Is it good or is it cheaper for a reason?

PS thanks for the responses and help.

BrushwoodMutt on
  • angelicstubbornessangelicstubborness Registered User regular
    I'm staying at the springhill suites, the pictures look nice and it looks like a nice walking distance. Anyone stayed there before?