As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TF2] The Crate Depression

• xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    Nah, experimenting is fun. That's why all my maps never went anywhere, I whipped up an idea, sort of got it working, and when fixing it so it was actually a balanced map turned it into a bog standard game mode I lost interest.

I mean making conventional maps is what to do if you want your stuff to actually succeed and get played, but there's a place for wacky ideas too.

BahamutZERO
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    Gotta learn to crawl before you can walk. I always tell people to start basic before going into shenanigans mode. Get a good base of serious business down before going off the rails.

I definitely think there is a place for out-there ideas, and honestly, those are the ones getting attention now. Even Valve is doing it.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    @Kupi if you feel like keeping tinkering with it here's my feedback:

The layout complexity makes it very hard to find the points that are active. So I suggest making the basic layout much simpler, something like 2 series of rooms parallel to each other, and then add to that with interesting wrinkles like elevation differences and underpasses. The core of it needs to feel straightforward.

BahamutZERO.gif
    The layout does need work, but the other issue is it was impossible to figure out the layout as there were no visual clues where you were or where you were going. You did have arrow signs on the wall, but I don't remember any A, B, C markers to go with them. The game just threw you into low detail tunnels and that was the end of it.

xzzy wrote: »
    The layout does need work, but the other issue is it was impossible to figure out the layout as there were no visual clues where you were or where you were going. You did have arrow signs on the wall, but I don't remember any A, B, C markers to go with them. The game just threw you into low detail tunnels and that was the end of it.

signs will also help but I think they won't be enough with the current layout

BahamutZERO.gif
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I am certainly guilty of creating overcomplicated cross-ups in my maps, despite actively attempting to avoid that happening in Sashay. However, when the premise of the map is "the control points under contest continually shift the expected lanes of battle", it doesn't exactly help you reach that goal.

EDIT: And to actually answer the point presented, it's tough to keep the signage correct when any of the three routes out of any particular area could be correct based on who owns which control point in their sequence. Not without further entity scripting, that is.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    Mooselick on Probed (and Snowycoast):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tiu_F-nAzm0

Sir Headless VIIturtleantWeX MajorsCaulk Bite 6
    My life is weeeeeird.

So apparently the latest issue of US PC Gamer (Issue 271, Nov 2015 Doom cover) has a small article about the map workshop talking about 3 high quality maps, and Glassworks is mentioned in it. They say the following about it:
    "A 5CP map, locking both teams in a tug-of-war over its five control points. It's designed for competitive Highlander, but works just as well with 24 players."

Anyone have a copy laying around they could get a scan of? I'm going to try to find it to buy it here soon, but dayum!

PMAversAdusebotasticBear is Drivingübergeek
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    You'z famous now, Crash.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    ebotasticsarukunübergeek
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    UEAKCrash wrote: »

Pyros, the third air class.

488W936.png
    BahamutZERO
    Pyros could actually be a neat class again if they had a proper rocket jump capability.

I mean they're still effective like they are now, but giving them more mobility could create some fun styles.

CorehealerCaulk Bite 6Shorty
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Oh, and we should play that Snowycoast map on HoNC sometime, if we haven't already. It looks like a lot of fun.

488W936.png
    DysturtleantUEAKCrash
  • EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular

Cute idea, horrible leg animations.

it looks fine to me when static but moving around like the conga or russian kick dance it doesn't work at all

BahamutZERO.gif
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I'm not one to balk at silly sound design in this game, but I gotta draw the line at loud ass bagpipes.

A couple people playing those during set up would be maddening.

X22wmuF.jpg
    Shorty
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Would be nice is if two people were using them at the same time, they'd sync up.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular

Give it til morning, and Reddit will have already decoded the morse code.

Caulk Bite 6
  • EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    It was decoded, see above spoiler

Caulk Bite 6
    edited September 2015
    Yay for backups, I opened koth_demobowl last night to update it to use trigger_catapult and the newest vmf I had was corrupted.. it's just a text file so I was able to open it and see what was going on and it looks like something randomly deleted characters from various points in the file. There wasn't any way for me to repair it because bits of data had been lost. My backup scheme uses bittorrent sync to send all my shit to my workstation at work, where I have OSX's Time Machine taking care of everything. So while I was a bit nervous at home, not sure I had a good backup or when exactly the file had been corrupted, but it took about 5 minutes to find a good copy once I got into work.

Moral of the story: think about backups now, not later. :rotate:

Supposedly Windows 10's file history feature is pretty good, so if you aren't awesome like me and have a Mac available, that should work too.

xzzy on
    My life is weeeeeird.

So apparently the latest issue of US PC Gamer (Issue 271, Nov 2015 Doom cover) has a small article about the map workshop talking about 3 high quality maps, and Glassworks is mentioned in it. They say the following about it:
    "A 5CP map, locking both teams in a tug-of-war over its five control points. It's designed for competitive Highlander, but works just as well with 24 players."

Anyone have a copy laying around they could get a scan of? I'm going to try to find it to buy it here soon, but dayum!

I've been keeping a eye out for it, have only seen the October issue so far. Supposedly today's the street date for it, so who knows.

persona4celestia.jpg
    When you get hired into the games industry, make sure to remember us Crash.

PMAvers wrote: »
    My life is weeeeeird.

I've been keeping a eye out for it, have only seen the October issue so far. Supposedly today's the street date for it, so who knows.

Oh, and the Oct issue actually has a part talking about Gun Mettle and shows some shots of Suijin/ Snowplow.

When you get hired into the games industry, make sure to remember us Crash.

Who are you, again?

Sellout!

You've CHANGED, man!

UEAKCrashsarukun
  • Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    They still make magazines?

The Escape GoatPailryderCaulk Bite 6sarukunCorehealer
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Sellout!

You've CHANGED, man!

Only reference is to Adus

who is banned from all games

VRXwDW7.png
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    not even bans can save you from me

I dunno, I think that theory needs testing.
    2 weeks from now newspaper headline "South Pennsylvania man murdered by bow, body found covered in pee"

X22wmuF.jpg
    Duke 2.0AdusCaulk Bite 6sarukunCorehealerThe Escape GoatASimPerson
    bullshit never dies

BahamutZERO.gif
    Adus
    So, I realized that the Rescue Ranger might actually be an amazing weapon in MvM, and I'm pretty my hypothesis is correct. Anyone happen to have one they can give/trade after this rental one is done?

• Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    Friends don't let friends play MvM.

AdusShortySirToastyCorehealerDuke 2.0
    Wait, what? Why? What on gods green earth is wrong with shooting a bunch of robots to pieces?

I wonder how much bugs and stuff would've been worked out easier if they made MvM have it's own dedicated client. Have it share inventories and stuff between games, but you could probably do more specific MvM-only weapon changes and tweaks without breaking the main game.

persona4celestia.jpg
    WeX Majors wrote: »
    Wait, what? Why? What on gods green earth is wrong with shooting a bunch of robots to pieces?

they're just coop racists

BahamutZERO.gif
  • duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs? Registered User regular
    So, I realized that the Rescue Ranger might actually be an amazing weapon in MvM, and I'm pretty my hypothesis is correct. Anyone happen to have one they can give/trade after this rental one is done?
    I have a spare you can have, feel free to add me.
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198036284574/

edited September 2015

The dark secret is that the rescue ranger is the only good primary.

I probably have an extra one, but you can also check TF2 warehouse. All the standard weapons can be gotten for only a couple hundred points.

edit: you can also get a strange one off the community market for $0.38
    http://steamcommunity.com/market/search?q=Rescue&category_440_Type[]=any&category_440_Class[]=tag_Engineer&category_440_Quality[]=tag_strange&appid=440

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
    Duke 2.0