As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mr. Robot]: Sex, Lies, and Video Codecs

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    this show is getting more and more lynchian

is that a good thing

yes it is good.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    this show is getting more and more lynchian

is that a good thing

yes it is good.

but lynch is like 100% about atmosphere. and mr robot to this point has been so plot heavy. to have it start to ramble into possibly incoherent referential weirdness..................

this thing could stay good but i now put it about equal odds to go completely off the rails

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I like

This

Thus it is good

• Options
    edited September 2016
    so i'm browsing the youtubes and i end up watching a let's play of a PS4 game and. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z_FwAy23OU

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular

so i'm browsing the youtubes and i end up watching a let's play of a PS4 game and. . .

My girlfriend bought that game because he's in it and then never played it because she is scare.

• Options

My girlfriend bought that game because he's in it and then never played it because she is scare.

i am also scare. i only found out about it because i watching people who could handle my scare for me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    Was the cab ride one the final episode or is there more to come?

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    finale was shot as one episode but split into two.

So part 2 tonight is the finale.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Well that answers that question.

It would have been much stronger as one solid block of television but I am not disappointed.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    The line about USA Network/Burn Notice would have stuck the landing better with me if Elliot did not use the Pringles can antenna (just like in Burn Notice) a few episodes ago.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    I admit, I had some doubts toward the middle of the season but it definitely finished strong. I love this show.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    ClipseClipse Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    The line about USA Network/Burn Notice would have stuck the landing better with me if Elliot did not use the Pringles can antenna (just like in Burn Notice) a few episodes ago.

I mean, cantennas are an actual thing. They certainly aren't an optimal directional wifi antenna, but they're cheap and simple to make.

• Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I just binge watched season 1 and 2. This is a great show. A+ Season 2 was not as strong as 1, but that's ok. I think they tied things up well while not cutting the possibility of more off.

One question though:

What is the point of Joanna's character? For the entire show, I honestly cannot figure out why she must exists on screen. She's a very well written character, but so far I feel she's either set up as long long game style character, or she just feels like a side plot with no real relevance.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    I saw her point in the first season - she was clearly a dominant cause of Tyrell's crumbling sanity. But this season, not so much, though her manipulation of Knowles seems to perhaps indicate something for next season?

• Options
    Definitely felt more long game, as did a lot of Season 2s latter half. Not a complaint from my side, but it seems like it frustrated some critics.

I'm more excited for the next season than I have been for just about any show in a while.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Season finale.

!!!!

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So rewatching parts of S2 because we're back home and my friends are coming over to watch the rest of the episodes with us.

I just feel the need to reemphasize how on point the music choices for this show are.

To the point where I went and just started listening to some of the soundtrack in the background, 'Take Me Home' popped on and I couldn't not think of that scene.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Just finished season 2, my thoughts:

I love when shows put us in the same headspace as the characters. The Americans leaves you paranoid and constantly wondering what is sinister and what is innocuous. Mr. Robot leaves you constantly feeling like you can almost see the picture if you just think hard enough, but it isn't quite there.

Much like Elliot, I spent the whole final episode waffling over whether Tyrell Wellick post-disappearance was real.

In the end, he is. I got an almost Harris-Klebold vibe from the final few scenes between he and Elliot.

I guess someone has a fully encrypted backup to the Ecorp data? That is all that would make sense of Trenton and Mobley talking about "keys" that could undo it all.

Who would have that? Either Mr Robot or Price, and I can't imagine why either one would. Either Price helped plan the currency collapse so he could roll out eCoin, or he had eCoin in his back pocket waiting for the right moment, but either way he doesn't even want the data back now. Mr. Robot wants chaos or destruction, not blackmail or ransom. So I guess I just don't know.

I almost felt like we were about to cross the line into sci-fi with whatever might be hidden in the Washington Township plant that might cause the Chinese to pay 2 trillion to hide it.

And why in the heck was Angela needed alive and worth a full 28 minutes of White Rose's time, a massive allotment compared to previous expenditures on important matters. I had been pretty contemptuous of her as in way over her head, but between that and the final phone call, there is apparently a lot more to her.

I guess when I started typing this I thought I had more answers but I don't know a thing. Much like Elliot.

• Options
    ClipseClipse Registered User regular
    Inkstain82 wrote: »

I love when shows put us in the same headspace as the characters. The Americans leaves you paranoid and constantly wondering what is sinister and what is innocuous. Mr. Robot leaves you constantly feeling like you can almost see the picture if you just think hard enough, but it isn't quite there.

Much like Elliot, I spent the whole final episode waffling over whether Tyrell Wellick post-disappearance was real.

In the end, he is. I got an almost Harris-Klebold vibe from the final few scenes between he and Elliot.

I guess someone has a fully encrypted backup to the Ecorp data? That is all that would make sense of Trenton and Mobley talking about "keys" that could undo it all.

Who would have that? Either Mr Robot or Price, and I can't imagine why either one would. Either Price helped plan the currency collapse so he could roll out eCoin, or he had eCoin in his back pocket waiting for the right moment, but either way he doesn't even want the data back now. Mr. Robot wants chaos or destruction, not blackmail or ransom. So I guess I just don't know.

I almost felt like we were about to cross the line into sci-fi with whatever might be hidden in the Washington Township plant that might cause the Chinese to pay 2 trillion to hide it.

And why in the heck was Angela needed alive and worth a full 28 minutes of White Rose's time, a massive allotment compared to previous expenditures on important matters. I had been pretty contemptuous of her as in way over her head, but between that and the final phone call, there is apparently a lot more to her.

I guess when I started typing this I thought I had more answers but I don't know a thing. Much like Elliot.

Regarding the bolded,
    I'm pretty sure it was mentioned at the end of season 1 (episode 9 or 10) that they didn't delete the data, but rather encrypted it and then deleted the key. Which seemed like either a throwaway line to make it seem more complicated, or the set up for a terrible plot where one of them remembers or tries to remember the key. So far it's looking like they are going to live down to expectations on that one, sadly.

I kind of like the idea that maybe Tyrell convinced Elliot to do that rather than simply deleting at the last moment and to hang on to the key as a kind of get out of jail free card in case they get caught, but if that were the case I can't see any reason why Trenton and Mobley would even realize there was a key, let alone have seen it.

• Options
    Inkstain82 wrote: »

I saw a comment elsewhere re: your spoiler
    In the flashback where we see Mr. Robot in the doctor's office arguing with his wife that they won't ever have to pay the medical bills. Which makes me think whatever is in Washington Township is actually linked to this "bring down the financial backing" plan, way back in the day.

I have no idea how, but yeah.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Started season_2.0
    poor Gideon D:

Did I miss anything with that guy? Why did he murder Gideon? Caught the phrase "crisis actor" - was he just some conspiracy theorist that wanted to kill a fraud because...?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Started season_2.0
    poor Gideon D:

Did I miss anything with that guy? Why did he murder Gideon? Caught the phrase "crisis actor" - was he just some conspiracy theorist that wanted to kill a fraud because...?
    Didn't he kill him because he was publicly known to be involved even if it wasn't true?

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    He was also definitely freebasing some Infowars.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    SO I just finished season two.

How can a show be this damn good? I fucking love it!

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Just finished episode 9 of season 1, which I mostly enjoyed a lot. Rami Malek is just amazing.

One thing I wanted to ask, though:
    Have people here discussed the S1 twist and whether the show plays it fair? I was pretty sure they were pulling a Tyler Durden about 3-4 episodes into the season, but then there were scenes where it very much seemed like other characters were addressing Elliot and Mr Robot as two separate people in the same scene. Or do they just stretch things so far that they get close to the breaking point without quite getting there?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Just finished episode 9 of season 1, which I mostly enjoyed a lot. Rami Malek is just amazing.

Have people here discussed the S1 twist and whether the show plays it fair? I was pretty sure they were pulling a Tyler Durden about 3-4 episodes into the season, but then there were scenes where it very much seemed like other characters were addressing Elliot and Mr Robot as two separate people in the same scene. Or do they just stretch things so far that they get close to the breaking point without quite getting there?

It's been a while since I've watched it but:
    I think when I rewatched series 1 the other members of fsociety sometimes do appear to address Elliot and Mr Robot separately. However, they don't engage the two personalities in the same conversation, an fsociety member will respond to something that Elliot says then a different person will respond to a Mr Robot comment. I think they also ignore some of the back and forth between Elliot and Mr Robot. I don't think I explained myself very well, but TL;DR: on my rewatch there didn't seem to be a problem.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »

It's been a while since I've watched it but:
    I think when I rewatched series 1 the other members of fsociety sometimes do appear to address Elliot and Mr Robot separately. However, they don't engage the two personalities in the same conversation, an fsociety member will respond to something that Elliot says then a different person will respond to a Mr Robot comment. I think they also ignore some of the back and forth between Elliot and Mr Robot. I don't think I explained myself very well, but TL;DR: on my rewatch there didn't seem to be a problem.
    it also kind of works out because from episode 1 it's established that elliot is altering his own perception of events

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    IIRC (S1)
    You see other characters' reactions in the background on some occasions during Elliot/Mr Robot interactions like his outward person is initially one and then the other, and they just kinda roll with it. Dunno if I expressed that well.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Thanks, those definitely make sense. I guess it's a bit of a get-out-of-jail-free card that Elliot is an unreliable narrator; any- and every apparent inconsistency can be explained away by it.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Season 3 teaser

https://youtu.be/CmtaZ8sOfbk

e: For those not aware the reason the youtube video is unlisted is the url was obtained by a fan that solved a riddle on twitter.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Bumping because it’s back tonight.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    I am really glad Bobby Cannavale is in this now.

and i wonder how many easter eggs were in this episode.

edit: easter egg spoilers
    QR codes when Elliot is looking at the memorial wall. Lead to a subreddit that is set up like E Corp employees.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
  • Options

and i wonder how many easter eggs were in this episode.

edit: easter egg spoilers
    QR codes when Elliot is looking at the memorial wall. Lead to a subreddit that is set up like E Corp employees.

When they went to the Hackerspace, on the wall right before they went down the stairs there was a DEF CON logo, and the way they were talking about making it to Vegas it seemed like it was a qual for the DC CTF.

• Options

God he's so so good.

I didn't even realize we got zero Dom until the end because I was caught up in his scenes.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    WHAT IS HAPPENING

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    I don't know what's happening and I'm fully committed.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    I don't know what's happening and I'm fully committed.

I ducked into the subreddit and then realized with this show I don't want to see speculation, I want to enjoy the ride without having any idea what's going on - apparently someone figured out (S2 spoiler)
    the prison thing

super early and a lot of people ended up having the reveal disappointed. That being said, one of the speculations seems out there, but that it could make sense? Spoiling so you can click if you want, but I'm not going back there until the season is done.
    Something having to do with quantum computing/reality simulation. Basically, a lot of the dialogue at this point seems to be pointing to either that or time travel, and the time travel bit seems out there even for this show.

• Options
    root access
    to reality

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg