As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Grapes of [chat]

19495969798100»

• Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I had a professor in undergrad who would fail you if your paper had more than two instances of passive voice. I am a better man for it.

Regardless, he still deserves to be kneecapped and abandoned

There was a recent article about some prof at HAAAAVARHHHDDDD LAW who would ding people for not following fucking Strunk and White

Nah.

You're kind of failing your students if you don't prepare them to succeed in their field. All jobs/professions have standards you're expected to adhere to.

Strunk and White is a little aged, though, sure.

Can't say I saw "Use of active voice" in my Position Description when I hired in

Hell, my department would be happy with coordinating departments having a grip on the fucking statutes we use

Bigger fish to fry and all that.

It seems we may have stumbled on the difference between a school and an HR department. Perhaps getting dinged for those mistakes in school keeps people from making them as much in the real world? I don't know, but I'm certainly not about to endorse lowering standards because your firm will have "bigger fish to fry" someday.

Standards are only a good thing if the standards are well thought out. Evaluating (whether in education, policy, employment, etc) on the wrong metrics is worse than no metrics at all.

programjunkie on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    When chat descends into philosophical wankery

Can one then ask

"What is even the point of philosophical wankery?"

Or does that simply feed into it

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    desc wrote: »
    Why a, I watching a commercial for some fx channel vampire TV show inside a Halo video in the halo video app

What the fuck

inception-horn.wav

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    @Elki

Atomic_Atomika
    elendil667

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »
    Why a, I watching a commercial for some fx channel vampire TV show inside a Halo video in the halo video app

What the fuck

thanks obama

Trump 2k one six

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Hrm. Pants. Pro or con.

Down with pants.

Up with skirts!

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Or kilts.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »

What the fuck

thanks obama
    wait so PA was right?
    215553534_T79Vh-1050x10000.jpg
    subway now also a joke thanks to jared debacle
    ):

• Options
    Winky wrote: »
    Alright guys, decide my evening:

Witcher 3 or Dragonfall?

Dragonfall given your disposition and dislike of things going dark places.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Jacob I need to pm you about my aimless rpg thoughts but I am lazy on the couch sipping 12% alc beers

desc on
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Fuck autocorrect in vertical iPad

desc on
  • Options

What the fuck

Is it The Strain? That is magic!

• Options
    shadowrun

that's something i should play when i get my computer probably

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Wait jared didn't molest any kids AT a subway did he

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    more like RIPg

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Wait jared didn't molest any kids AT a subway did he
    no god no

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Why would Subway suffer due to the Jared debacle? It's not like Jell-O lost money when Bill Cosby outed himself as a rapist.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Does anyone in chat have a lot of real estate experience?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    did subway cover for jared

is subway more or less moral than the pope

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Why would Subway suffer due to the Jared debacle? It's not like Jell-O lost money when Bill Cosby outed himself as a rapist.

i think jared was much more intimately tied to subway in the public consciouness than Bill Cosby would be to jell-o

i mean subway is the entire reason jared got (briefly) famous

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    Jacob I need to pm you about my aimless rpg thoughts but I am lazy on the couch sipping 12% alc beers

give me your beers

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was careening by at warp 2.4

@Apothe0sis will create the new thread
    @Elendil is backup

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    @Jacobkosh I moved the midwest for work and I am constantly taken aback by the amount of teamwork and community. Like I am always asking "...what's your angle here? WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?"
    It will take some deprogramming

Dude, that's awesome. I mean, not so much the having to move again - were you even in Texas for a year? - but the friendliness is real. A few friends of mine came to KC from New York (two from the actual city and then three more from upstate) and they all, particularly the upstate ones, were kind of weirded out by the different 'tude at first, but got to like it pretty quickly.

• Options
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Hrm. Pants. Pro or con.

This discussion has been closed.