As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Scream If You Want To Go Faster in the [Rollercoaster & Theme Park Thread]

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    Seriously, look

5._Barrel_Roll_2_t598.jpg

at
    21646697_BG3.jpg

this
    EP-140528942.jpg

shit
    EP-140618417.jpg

That first image is scary as hell

It looks like a portal to a hellscape

l1G1hJy.jpg

uc3ufTB.png
  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    But, I live in Florida, so Islands of Adventure has this I get to ride a few times a year:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsjdYQJc748

Hulk is love, Hulk is life.

Hulk is gong down for refurb for 16 months.

(Or something like that. It's a long time.)

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    This is a clone of the first looping coaster I went on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6sJlC9YGdg

broken image link
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    That's ok, with Universal going all nutso with it's nothing in your pockets policy, all that's left to worry about is whatever they're calling Dueling Dragons now, and Rockin Rollercoaster.

Krieghund on
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    That's ok, with Universal going all nutso with it's nothing in your pockets policy, all that's left to worry about is whatever they're calling Dueling Dragons now, and Rockin Rollercoaster.

I have been at places that let you keep your stuff on the side of the ride for like most of the rides and then on the popular ones make you pay for a locker, its I think a way to make a bit more money

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    edited August 2015

Except one of those isn't at Universal/IOA

I have been at places that let you keep your stuff on the side of the ride for like most of the rides and then on the popular ones make you pay for a locker, its I think a way to make a bit more money

The Universal ride lockers are free, otherwise it really would be total bullshit

Sheri on
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    i'm going to universal in a month and am very sad about the hulk
    i'm there for 2 days gimme all the universal secret tipz

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    Sheri wrote: »

Except one of those isn't at Universal/IOA

The Universal ride lockers are free, otherwise it really would be total bullshit

Thats good

I can't remember where I saw that setup

a six flags or something maybe?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    BlueBlue wrote: »

Go in October and come to flopax.

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    I haven't been to Universal in years aside from Halloween Horror Nights. Lady SH is such a chicken she can't do any rides there so it's been low on the priority list, but we're probably gonna get annual passes before FloPAX.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Ride lockers for your stuff makes a lot of sense though, especially for safety concerns. Parks don't want people to try to reclaim their stuff if it falls out while they're on the ride - some people have hopped barriers and gotten seriously hurt or killed trying to get their things back.

I've never been to a place that made you pay for them though.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    Cello wrote: »
    Ride lockers for your stuff makes a lot of sense though, especially for safety concerns. Parks don't want people to try to reclaim their stuff if it falls out while they're on the ride - some people have hopped barriers and gotten seriously hurt or killed trying to get their things back.

this literally happened like last week

I hadn't even heard of this particular case; I was remembering the dude who got a foot to the head by a coaster rider because he was right in the ride path. Wish I could say I was surprised...

Steam
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular

UPDATE!

Okay so these dates are set. Please RSVP if you are ACTUALLY PLANNING TO COME. If you're on the fence, that's okay! Just let us know when you're sure either way.
    Ok I am planning to come

doin' both~

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy

I hadn't even heard of this particular case; I was remembering the dude who got a foot to the head by a coaster rider because he was right in the ride path. Wish I could say I was surprised...

This happened again last week yeah. Awful stuff

And also its not that they don't make sense, its that they're required and they charge for them some places

Basically a hidden fee to ride the ride

UPDATE!

Okay so these dates are set. Please RSVP if you are ACTUALLY PLANNING TO COME. If you're on the fence, that's okay! Just let us know when you're sure either way.
    Ok I am planning to come

doin' both~

Like I pay attention to my own thread
    Yay!

And also its not that they don't make sense, its that they're required and they charge for them some places

Yeah, I am not sure why a company would choose to make riders pay for the locker usage. It seems like it'd just encourage people to take those items onto the rides and make it less useful to the park overall - you'd think the safety benefits would override the small profit they'd get from them. Strange!

Steam

Yeah, I am not sure why a company would choose to make riders pay for the locker usage. It seems like it'd just encourage people to take those items onto the rides and make it less useful to the park overall - you'd think the safety benefits would override the small profit they'd get from them. Strange!

dolla dolla bill yall

edited August 2015

Well our lockers are paid

But they're optional and only at the front of the park

Universal will NOT let you on the big rides with bags of any sort. So they require you to put your stuff in a locker at each ride. So it's free for like the first hour or something, assumedly the time you'd be in line.

Sheri on

Universal will NOT let you on the big rides with bags of any sort. So they require you to put your stuff in a locker at each ride. So it's free for like the first hour or something, assumedly the time you'd be in line.

Yeah, I was mostly talking lockers/cubbies on the side of the more intense rides where you can leave purses and things. Paid park lockers generally make sense, especially at the water parks where you can't carry your stuff on the rides at all. I thought Chincy was talking about paid lockers near the boarding areas of actual rides though; maybe I misinterpreted?

Anyway, this is maybe not the most thrilling tangent in a thread about theme parks. Instead, check out the new Tron ride that'll be opening at Shanghai Disney! I want to live in this ride! Forever!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqPDMWo2Akw

Steam

Yeah, I was mostly talking lockers/cubbies on the side of the more intense rides where you can leave purses and things. Paid park lockers generally make sense, especially at the water parks where you can't carry your stuff on the rides at all. I thought Chincy was talking about paid lockers near the boarding areas of actual rides though; maybe I misinterpreted?

Anyway, this is maybe not the most thrilling tangent in a thread about theme parks. Instead, check out the new Tron ride that'll be opening at Shanghai Disney! I want to live in this ride! Forever!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqPDMWo2Akw

I am always a sucker for cool gimmick rides, that looks awesome

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    rip tron 3 :c

uc3ufTB.png
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I'm going to Magic Mountain and Knott's Berry Farm in a few weeks.

I went to Magic Mountain last year when they were shutting down Colossus for the first time with my coaster fan friend. The park itself was amazing, and I'm really looking forward to going again. X2 and Full Throttle are fantastic and I'm eager to get on Twisted Colossus.

ASimPerson wrote: »
    I'm going to Magic Mountain and Knott's Berry Farm in a few weeks.

I went to Magic Mountain last year when they were shutting down Colossus for the first time with my coaster fan friend. The park itself was amazing, and I'm really looking forward to going again. X2 and Full Throttle are fantastic and I'm eager to get on Twisted Colossus.

I really like the superman ride there

I dont know if it counts as a rollercoaster if its just a big U shape, but you go fast as hell

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I liked it too, but the main thing I remember about it is that it is LOUD AS HELL near where it goes over one of the main footpaths.

ASimPerson wrote: »
    I liked it too, but the main thing I remember about it is that it is LOUD AS HELL near where it goes over one of the main footpaths.

Oh man at carowinds theres a wood coaster that goes over a footpath

I dont know who thought that was a good idea because I basically thought I was going to go deaf

Those things always sound like they're five seconds away from something awful happening

• sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Magic Mountain is fantastic - I haven't been there in a few years, but that was the place I first went on a roller coaster. I think my first ride might have been Colossus, but I can't be sure because my friends and I went on every goddamn ride they had.

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    One of the only downsides to my "summer" job (that I spent 6 months at) is how hard it is to get time off and travel with my work schedule and kinda remote location. It's severely hindered my ability to go to amusement parks. Although I'm hoping to possibly go to Orlando this winter, and/or be living near Busch Gardens Williamsburg next year.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
    facetious wrote: »
    One of the only downsides to my "summer" job (that I spent 6 months at) is how hard it is to get time off and travel with my work schedule and kinda remote location. It's severely hindered my ability to go to amusement parks. Although I'm hoping to possibly go to Orlando this winter, and/or be living near Busch Gardens Williamsburg next year.

Busch Gardens Williamsburg is a wonderful park

not that many big rides but they curate them very well, its a beautifully decorated park and theyve got a lot of fun non-ride stuff

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    So, I had an idea, and I have no idea how feasible it could be. There's chain pull hills, and there's hydraulic launching systems, but what about driven carriages? Each carriage of the coaster is actually driven (and braked when necessary) by its own brushless motor which is PWM controlled via a fourth rail (two main rails for guidance and live and neutral power pick up and a third center rail for ground) or whatever? In a very similar fashion to the way model train sets are controlled nowadays (DCC), just scaled up. That way there is no need for the big initial climb of a chain pull hill, and you can be MUCH more flexible with the track design for the coaster, because there is no longer any real need to try to conserve momentum when every carriage has a Tesla Model S motor in it and is thus capable of achieving neck snapping acceleration all by itself, at any time.

@Cello ? Any other engineers who might know about that sort of thing?

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    This is one of my favorite rides

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qt1LutrWnY

Unfortunately some guy lost his phone on it and jumped a fence to try to get it back and got killed by it recently.

This is my old favorite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cwUMqSWSmU

It's cool because it goes over water!

Tallahasseeriel on
    Uriel wrote: »

Unfortunately some guy lost his phone on it and jumped a fence to try to get it back and got killed by it recently.

This is my old favorite

spoilered for morbid
    Can you imagine being the poor woman who, involuntarily killed this guy? I just can't imagine. Ugh.
    So, I had an idea, and I have no idea how feasible it could be. There's chain pull hills, and there's hydraulic launching systems, but what about driven carriages? Each carriage of the coaster is actually driven (and braked when necessary) by its own brushless motor which is PWM controlled via a fourth rail (two main rails for guidance and live and neutral power pick up and a third center rail for ground) or whatever? In a very similar fashion to the way model train sets are controlled nowadays (DCC), just scaled up. That way there is no need for the big initial climb of a chain pull hill, and you can be MUCH more flexible with the track design for the coaster, because there is no longer any real need to try to conserve momentum when every carriage has a Tesla Model S motor in it and is thus capable of achieving neck snapping acceleration all by itself, at any time.

I'm not 100% if this is what you mean but

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201302/3358/

There are coasters that use linear induction motors to move their cars

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I usually have my eyes closed on the raptor at least but yeah. I can't imagine I'd deal with that very well myself. I mean there isn't anything she could have done. You are seated with your legs dangling it isn't like you can pull them out of the way or anything.

I really should go to Cedar point in October for Halloweekends. I haven't actually gone for a while.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

This is my old favorite

spoilered for morbid
    Can you imagine being the poor woman who, involuntarily killed this guy? I just can't imagine. Ugh.

That's like a small rail gun to launch the train of carriages, like an alternative version of the hydraulic launch system. There are apparently coasters that have multiple drive units set up around the track to help shuttle carriages through level areas, but I was thinking more like each carriage being self-powered, so that they can be accelerated or decelerated anywhere on the track at any time.

This is my old favorite

spoilered for morbid

That's like a small rail gun to launch the train of carriages, like an alternative version of the hydraulic launch system. There are apparently coasters that have multiple drive units set up around the track to help shuttle carriages through level areas, but I was thinking more like each carriage being self-powered, so that they can be accelerated or decelerated anywhere on the track at any time.

that would be really cool!

Also probably a fucking nightmare!

Cause what if you lose power/control of one of the units

This is my old favorite

spoilered for morbid

Obviously there would have to be redundancies built in for safety. A total loss of control would be an infinitesimally small chance of happening.

Which means it would probably happen at least twice on the first day the ride is open to the public...

There would have to be multiple ways the carriages are "fail-safe" - if the receiver in the carriage loses signal from the control unit, it stops. It power is lost, all units stop. If there is a runaway condition in a motor controller, the other carriages in the train bring the unit to a halt with their brakes, that kind of thing.

This is my old favorite

spoilered for morbid

Obviously there would have to be redundancies built in for safety. A total loss of control would be an infinitesimally small chance of happening.

Which means it would probably happen at least twice on the first day the ride is open to the public...

There would have to be multiple ways the carriages are "fail-safe" - if the receiver in the carriage loses signal from the control unit, it stops. It power is lost, all units stop. If there is a runaway condition in a motor controller, the other carriages in the train bring the unit to a halt with their brakes, that kind of thing.

Yeah

It might lead to new ways to build coasters so if someone could think of a good use then I'd be all behind trying to figure that out

moving away from cars to harnesses totally changed how you could build coasters

I don't know if this would be that crazy but itd be neat

This is my old favorite

spoilered for morbid

Yeah

It might lead to new ways to build coasters so if someone could think of a good use then I'd be all behind trying to figure that out

moving away from cars to harnesses totally changed how you could build coasters

I don't know if this would be that crazy but itd be neat

Ideally, I'd like it so that coasters could be designed so that they could maintain the level of kinetic energy for a longer run, so you get more than 30-45 seconds of ride after an hour or so wait in line. If I was Bill Gates rich, I'd have a coaster super park built with like 20 of the most incredible coasters the world has ever seen, where the ride goes for like two to two and a half minutes but also designed so that you could have like 160-200 people all on the ride at once in like 4 different trains of carriages, in an effort to keep line lengths to a minimum.

Hmmm, that's a really cool idea! I don't know much about the current coaster standards, other than water coasters which are related to my gig.

My only concern would be if that makes controlling the individual cars more difficult for the ride operator. Also, there's a lot more systems in use if each car ends up being its own individual system, which means there might be more room for error if they all need to be maintained/stopped separately within the system. I'd be interested to hear if there's any similar systems at IAAPA this year though!

Steam