As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We didn't eat dogs back in the [Mad Max] thread

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Scrap comes pretty quickly by itself, just clear bases and stuff. Every cleared base is +20 scrap per 20 minutes or whatever.

Storm crates have ... 300 scrap per box, I think. You can grab multiple per storm.

Capturing and delivering a Scrapulance is 500.

Those little salvager communities aren't for scrap, they're for completionists.

You can get the strongholds to find scrap for you while you're not playing, provided your console is online* or something too.

Really feels like more of a "All of the things, now" situation than anything. IDK.

Edit: *Note, you probably have to be online because they're one of the few developers who took the brave leap of preventing the Pime Taradox of setting your clock forward 10 years to get "All of the things, now" by cheating or something.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I haven't ever had to "Farm" scrap. But I love exploring and murdering everyone, which also raises your legend rank which unlocks your combat upgrades. There have been time I've longed for more scrap, but eh I know more scrap is just over the horizon!

If you don't like exploring and collecting this might not be your game as that seems like the majority of the action here. Also jesus there was a boom race where you have to drive one of the bomb buggies? Holy crap one hit and your done.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    After the first couple hours, there's no reason to get out of your car to pick up the scrap dropped by destroyed vehicles. It's such a small amount that it just isn't worth the time.

What's nice is that there is a strong hold upgrade that automatically does that for you. Though for me I didn't unlock that until I'd just about destroyed all of Jeets territory so I never really use it, still nice to have I guess?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    After the first couple hours, there's no reason to get out of your car to pick up the scrap dropped by destroyed vehicles. It's such a small amount that it just isn't worth the time.

After the first time you do it and you see that it's only 6 (plus 1 due to essence proc), you really just do it because how else would you take in the souls of your victims to make them a part of you and acquire their power on top of your own?

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Yeah, scraps not hard to get, you just burn through it fast.

Stronghold upgrades make life incredibly easier; free ammo, health, water, and scrap collection? Yessir I will witness that.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
    Yeah, stronghold upgrades are really just nice quality of life stuff. Though the same could be said for most of the upgrades. Especially all the combat skills. God damn is it great perfect parrying a melee dude taking his weapon and then beating him to death with it.

Sometimes I'll throw a weapon on the ground because I want to just mess dudes up with my wrench wrapped fists.

"COME AT ME!!!!"

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Well, you can't suplex someone with a weapon in your hands...

Also there is a challenge to fight dudes during a storm, so next time a storm is kicking up find a camp to smash, that way you can kill two birds with one stone. Plus you know fighting dudes during a storm is boss hog.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I just love how fluid melee combat is becoming in video games.

"Oh you smashed this dude against a wall? Well now your character is beating him against the wall as well." All the credit to the arkham games and their ilk for making this happen.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I actually prefer Max's combat style over Batman's. Just brute force everything.

I do too, but I recognize this style of combat came about because of the success of the arkham games and its an evolution of games like them.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I just love this game so much. It hits all the right spots in my shriveled soul

Handgimp on
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I actually prefer Max's combat style over Batman's. Just brute force everything.

Helps that Batman does all these moves which make you go "B-batman? I don't think they'll survive that" But with this game you're killing them anyway so it can be as brutal as needed.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    Arthil wrote: »

Helps that Batman does all these moves which make you go "B-batman? I don't think they'll survive that" But with this game you're killing them anyway so it can be as brutal as needed.

Yep it doesn't matter that I just slammed a dudes head against a rail like it was a juicy coconut and I was thirsty. I was intending on killing him. Plus you know hitting dudes with your car... Or the harpoon. One time I'd speared a driver and didn't realize I drug him for a bit on top of that. Woops.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »

Yep it doesn't matter that I just slammed a dudes head against a rail like it was a juicy coconut and I was thirsty. I was intending on killing him. Plus you know hitting dudes with your car... Or the harpoon. One time I'd speared a driver and didn't realize I drug him for a bit on top of that. Woops.

I think we've all had our fair share of *twang* wha...? oh. yeah.

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Chum gets visual upgrades too oh my god.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    My keyboard stopped working. So I get to take a break for a few days.

Yay.

I think we've all had our fair share of *twang* wha...? oh. yeah.

Well for me it was like I hadn't tried to fire the harpoon again and then I hit b and this dudes body just went sailing by, I should have recorded it. Have it be like a saftey video for pooning.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2015
    So, he gives the game a 5/10 review score... then posts article with tips on how to get the most out of the game wherein he opens with:
    If you've read my review of Mad Max already, you already know that I wasn't the biggest fan of the game. But that doesn't mean I don't want other people to enjoy it! Far from it, in fact!

Though his score would be the kind of thing that discourages people from buying it? Can someone explain the logic of this to me? I'm not seeing it.

edit: the advice he gives is pretty sound, mind you. But yeah.

tastydonuts on
    So, he gives the game a 5/10 review score... then posts article with tips on how to get the most out of the game wherein he opens with:
    If you've read my review of Mad Max already, you already know that I wasn't the biggest fan of the game. But that doesn't mean I don't want other people to enjoy it! Far from it, in fact!

Though his score would be the kind of thing that discourages people from buying it? Can someone explain the logic of this to me? I'm not seeing it.

edit: the advice he gives is pretty sound, mind you. But yeah.

Page clicks. IGN also has faqs on their site for rare games that they rated low.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    There's a minefield north of Jeet's lighthouse, but I'm having trouble finding the second one. South, southeast, or southwest?

I think it's to the west of the stronghold. If you drive around in the buggy, the dog will sense it before it shows up on your minimap and guide you to it. That's how I found the one north of the stronghold, which was the last thing I needed to complete the whole territory.

One of the jeets one is next to the balloon for his section, the other is to the right of that but also again north of Jeets fortress.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2015
    HEY AND DUDES AND DUDETTES... THIRSTY? FOR BLOOD*?

suGMzOi.jpg

PICK UP YOUR THIRSTCUTTER TODAY!

It's a unique vehicle inspired from preserved Rockstar Energy™ cans and metal star relics found buried in the Dead Barrens featuring:
    • LIGHT CONSTRUCTION
    • SPEED BOOST
    • UPGRADED SUSPENSION
    • ACTIVE SIDE BURNERS
    • POWER CLUTCH

Xbox One
    Playstation 4
    PC
    lol, IDK! (sorry)

*Note: Rockstar Energy™ recommends drinking Rockstar Energy™ drink. It's like blood. Only legal.er.

edit: there's a can promo thing for hood ornaments but IDK the link.

edit2: the car is free.

tastydonuts on
  • Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    No one's going to drive it! If you're going to make a product tie-in make it something unique. Remember those "legendary" ships in Assassin's Creed 4? There should be a "legendary" car that looks like a Rockstar version of the Wienermobile wandering around. Hell, have one of the stronghold people demand the giant can as a water cistern or something. "It was used to hold crazy juice! We'll drink it and get all crazy!"

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    If you don't like exploring and collecting this might not be your game as that seems like the majority of the action here.
    Yeah, basically.

If the collecting wasn't so blatantly just filling bars to progress it wouldn't bug me. I adore stuff like STALKER so exploring and scavenging is definitely my jam, I just wish this game felt like Mad Max instead of being a Mad Max skin tossed on a game.
    Really feels like more of a "All of the things, now" situation than anything. IDK.
    Nah, I just don't appreciate it when instead of making a great game devs instead do this blatant padded out dopamine drip feed shit because they know it works on 95% of gamers. I'm in the minority that it just annoys.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    I think the title of the thread should should be changed to: "They didn't eat dogs then."

It's... fitting.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I couldn't decide if I was annoyed or apathetic, then the ad popped up in one of the (rare) loading screens.

Sigh.

Jim Sterling had a few words on this one, including my favorite so far: "It seems like Mad Max is trying to sell Rockstar Energy Drink harder than Warner Brothers is trying to sell Mad Max."

Which is an interesting point; outside of the (rather outstanding) War Boy Uber drivers at PAX, has anyone actually seen any ads for it?

It's getting pretty savaged by professional review sites, too.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I see adds all over the place for it. I wouldnt say savaged. Its a pretty average game really, its solid, but if youre not into the asthetic theres not much for you.

The environments are probably the most stand out part, they look fucking phenomenal.

But even as someone who loves the game, its definitely nothing special

I wouldve loved it if they did something daring and had you be like a rogue War Boy setting up his own chiefdom and had some sort of system of customisation alla SoM. SoM also controlled a little more fluidly and offered much more immediate and varied action.

Instead we get captain beefcake generic-o, who looks like a place holder model for the main character theyll eventually develop, and a kind of limp story

nothing egregiously bad, just nothing stand out good, except arguably the car chases and inarguably the phenomenal environments

Prohass on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Yeah, credit where credit is due, this game is fucking gorgeous.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Playing as anyone but Max would have felt really weird to me.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited September 2015
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I couldn't decide if I was annoyed or apathetic, then the ad popped up in one of the (rare) loading screens.

Sigh.

Jim Sterling had a few words on this one, including my favorite so far: "It seems like Mad Max is trying to sell Rockstar Energy Drink harder than Warner Brothers is trying to sell Mad Max."

Which is an interesting point; outside of the (rather outstanding) War Boy Uber drivers at PAX, has anyone actually seen any ads for it?

It's getting pretty savaged by professional review sites, too.

According to metacritic most of the reviews are positive or mixed. It's a 71? Not really sure where it's getting savaged. The lowest (Polygon's) is a 5/10.

That said, I imagine if the MRSP for games adjusted to inflation or something instead of the game being available at launch for 40%+ off digital they wouldn't have to resort to product placements and other in game advertising to help subsidize development costs since sacrificing other things (LIKE TEH GRAPHIX) and all while staying at the stagnant $59.99 price point is pretty difficult?

tastydonuts on
    I wouldve liked to have a custom character and have Mad Max be your companion or NPC

edited September 2015
    Also my first time giving water to thirsty dudes, and then they get immediately run over by war boys

All I could think was "damn, what a waste of water"

I have a similar reaction when Max blows up the oil towers in a base in order to capture them. Its like, ah, everyones dead, lets just move in and take it, you do realise we'll have to immediately rebuild this?

Prohass on
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    79ed91cf-5096-406f-9124-0e762900cb46_zpsoyluezqh.jpg

Prohass wrote: »
    Also my first time giving water to thirsty dudes, and then they get immediately run over by war boys

I have a similar reaction when Max blows up the oil towers in a base in order to capture them. Its like, ah, everyones dead, lets just move in and take it, you do realise we'll have to immediately rebuild this?

Yeah, you would think they would call you out on all the oil fires you're technically starting.

But then again, the people just move in and ignore the piles of dead bodies lying around in some places too.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

They're pumping crude, which has to be refined in gastown before it's usable.
    Indoorsman wrote: »
    Great shot!

When was the apocalypse supposed to have happened? I know the timeline is a little loose in these films, but let's just look at this game. Max has a picture of his (presumably) wife and daughter from the world before. (That's not a spoiler - it's in the opening cinematic.)

Let's say Max was 25 when that picture was taken. He can't be more than 40 in this game.

Man. People sure went nuts in 15 years. That also means that any adult we see in the game was alive before the world ended.

The first movie is set around the mid 90s (yes even though it was made in the 80s) with Max in his early 20s and most of the world has already gone to hell. Resources had dried up and oil had become scarce, causing people to riot and kill one another. The set up for that movie is that most of the world is lawless already with only a few outlying areas holding on to civility. Cities and major centers were overrun to the point that the police couldn't handle it. In a riot sort of way, not just "hey there's a lot of crime lately" sort of way. The second movie is set in the late 90s after the final act of civilization was to nuke itself.

Beyond Thunderdome is set 15 years after that. Fury Road is maybe a few years after that.

Pretty much everything from the historical artifacts in the game happened before the first movie. Max should be right around his early 40s in the game, as it takes place before Fury Road but after Thunderdome.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    According to metacritic most of the reviews are positive or mixed. It's a 71? Not really sure where it's getting savaged. The lowest (Polygon's) is a 5/10.
    After the whole Obsidian Entertainment/Fallout: New Vegas/Metacritic fiasco, anything lower than 85 seems savaged. Kotaku also gave it a "Should you play? No." which seems pretty negative.

I probably shouldn't be comparing it to the reviews Phantom Pain (the culmination to a series I haven't played) is getting.
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    79ed91cf-5096-406f-9124-0e762900cb46_zpsoyluezqh.jpg
    Too soon.