Options

The Sonic and other Platforming Games thread!

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Spelunky is pretty fab. I think... it might be my favorite platformer ever.

I can not play Spelunky. No matter how hard I try I just can't memorize all the tricks you need to succeed in that game.

I think I only ever made it past the jungle once.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Sonic Generations ranged from okay to fun, but that last boss has soured me on it forever.

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    getting in before tdot mentions freedom planet, somehow

well someone else already did

BUT NOW THAT YOU BRING IT UP CHECK OUT THIS FUCKING BOSS FIGHT

https://youtu.be/Pj_i_hjDYrg

I'M SICK OF YOUR KUNG-FU TRICKS

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think we need to be honest with ourselves and say the Sonic/Shadow stages were also not good.

They were basically the earliest quick-time events, except the prompt was just up for about 3-5 minutes

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    can we talk about blatant sonic rip-offs? my personal favorite is socket, known as time dominator in some regions, which is a WAY better name than socket

https://youtu.be/lIhirO51TgY

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    The Jak & Daxter series is possibly the most underrated series of games ever.

Granted that the sequels de-emphasized platforming, but still.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Actually scratch that, Glover is the most underrated game of all time.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Sonic Adventure 2 is 1/3 of a decent game

I really like that 1/3 though

Sonic Adventure is 1/3 of a decent(ish) game, 1/3rd of something not good but playable, and 1/3 complete garbage.

Even when people liked it, they acknowledged the Emerald Hunts were the worst.

• Options
    Nope. They're fun.

They kind of dicked up the radar but if you payed attention to the hints it wasn't a big deal.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I am unrepentant in my love of every part of sonic adventure 2

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »

I can not play Spelunky. No matter how hard I try I just can't memorize all the tricks you need to succeed in that game.

Curious to hear more about your Spelunky troubles. Is it just remembering what everything does? (Not to say I'm a pro, just that I've learnt most of it's harsh lessons.)

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options

Curious to hear more about your Spelunky troubles. Is it just remembering what everything does? (Not to say I'm a pro, just that I've learnt most of it's harsh lessons.)

More that eventually forget to do something and it gets me killed. Like check for arrow traps before dropping down or not looking for spikes. Dumb stuff like that.

You gotta be on point with that game constantly and I just can't do it.

It's kinda like why my bloodborne play through has stalled out. You gotta really comit to that game and I'm not always interested in concentrating that hard.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    You guys haven't mentioned big the cat [in the sonic dreams collection] nearly enough.

BIG THE CAT
    big%20the%20cat.png?1439396279

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    are there any good 3d platformers on steam yet?

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    are there any good 3d platformers on steam yet?

Not yet but that age is coming.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I don't know if I'd consider Sonic Generations a 3D platformer, but maybe?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Wait, psychonauts and grow home

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular

I don't know if I'd call psychonauts a good platformer. I love the game... But it's in spite of the platforming.

No I don't.
  • Options

I don't know if I'd call psychonauts a good platformer. I love the game... But it's in spite of the platforming.

ok ok well

could i interest you in

cover_large.jpg

• Options
    Comparing Psychonauts to SA2 should be illegal except to show people the difference between a classic and complete shit.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Comparing Psychonauts to SA2 should be illegal except to show people the difference between a classic and complete shit.

They're roughly equal quality in the platforming department

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited August 2015

psychonauts wasn't that bad

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    the only questionable part was the meat circus and even then only if you were particularly inept did you need to see it more than twice maybe

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Look, I'm sorry someone slapped Psychonauts on the box of Bubsy 3D or something, but good god there is no other way to explain thinking the two even come close in platforming. Psychonauts is no Mario, but SA2 was garbage that actively reminded the player how much they were hated by the devs.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Look, I'm sorry someone slapped Psychonauts on the box of Bubsy 3D or something, but good god there is no other way to explain thinking the two even come close in platforming. Psychonauts is no Mario, but SA2 was garbage that actively reminded the player how much they were hated by the devs.

Nah.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    I think SA2 is fun even before the soundtrack

does that make me some kind of crazyman

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    SA2 wasn't something I liked at all.

Psychonauts wasn't great in the platforming department, but it was at least worth my money.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    I think SA2 is fun even before the soundtrack

does that make me some kind of crazyman

Only crazy right!

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Psychonauts is more of an adventure game with a few very finnicky platforming elements

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I actually find the platforming in SA2 more pleasant

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    SA2 isn't dog shit it's just intensely, painfully mediocre

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    That isn't to say Psychonauts isn't better than SA2

Holy shit it definitely is

But they're not the same genre

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Nah.
    Ah, the sweet sound of concession.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Nah.

Be honest dude,

Is there anything, anything at all I could say that would make you change your opinion on SA2?

The answer is no, so I'm not even going to try.

I guess I probably should have known better than to expect this thread to not be 50% shitting on games I like though.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Nah.

yeah thats why the next 6 posts were people refuting you

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Nah.

Be honest dude,

Is there anything, anything at all I could say that would make you change your opinion on SA2?

The answer is no, so I'm not even going to try.
    Then don't post instead of the super obnoxious "nah" reply. It's childish.

Please tell me what would change your opinion on SA2.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Right the nah post is childish compared to claiming the devs of a game actively hate their fans.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    SA2? Naw, that was bad QA.

Sonic 2K6?

That is active hate.

• Options
    Also, I am super content praising something like Mega Man X rather than shitting on SA2.

That game still holds up.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Right the nah post is childish compared to claiming the devs of a game actively hate their fans.
    Welcome to hyperbole for comedic effect, as opposed the to unfunny, rude post people have already made a thousand times before.

So what will change your mind on SA2

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png