Options

The Sonic and other Platforming Games thread!

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Sonic R is a cool concept with very very poor execution.
    and Tails Doll

*shudder*

I would like to see its core concepts expanded and its controls refined.
    No laps just a race to a designated point on maps with multiple paths to said points. Maybe knuckles can literally go through a mountain but Sonic while maybe stuck on a longer track can take speed boosts to make up time while Eggman can go very high and slow or very fast and lose altitude.

Like 3-4 really huge maps that encourage playing all the racers and exploring to find better routes and short cuts

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
  • Options
    I Love that game.
    I think if they had simply added a reverse function and a better story structure more people would have as well. It's the closest they've gotten to controlling a super fast character well in any game let alone Sonic

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    So Super Time Force Ultra was free for PS+ folks this month.

It's pretty dang fun so far. I can't really figure out a good use for Zackasaurus though, which bums me out.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    I eventually warmed up to Sonic and the Secret Rings, but I still hate the theme song. The game spammed it far too often.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    i was showing my 7 y/o twin nieces sonic 2 on my phone and it struck me that i was 7 when the game came out in '92

they fucking loved it, their favourite zone was chemical plant (good taste there, girls) and they made me get all the emeralds so they could see the yellow guy

Beasteh on
  • Options
    specifically the way's you'd hear only the beginning of it every time you navigated menus

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I hear Secret Rings was good but only if you could endure the early parts where the controls suck until you pump enough XP into Sonic.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    yeah, having to level up to get tighter controls when already dealing with the wiimote gyroscope was some hot garbage

but once the game got going it was pretty good

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    So I'm playing Tropical Freeze for realsies, just got past world 2

Man

THat is a hell of a game there buddy

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    So Super Time Force Ultra was free for PS+ folks this month.

It's pretty dang fun so far. I can't really figure out a good use for Zackasaurus though, which bums me out.
    Sounds like user error to me

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TELL ME HOW TO DINOSAUR MAGIC FEATHER ELEMENTAL!

Only not right now cause my PS+ sub ran out.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    game grumps just wrapped up their LP of sonic adventure

it's pretty great

• Options
    Unpopular opinion: I thought Tropical Freeze was real bad.

Didn't like any of the stages I played much, the secrets were often super obtuse, and its real apparent that they just kind of assume everyone had already played Returns, cause they throw you in to the deep end right away.

Also those boss fights were terrible.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Returns was harder than TF. I seriously stopped playing Returns because I got tired of awful instant-death autoscroller/mine cart levels. Tropical Freeze gives you a heart when doing those so it's basically like the original DKCs.

Everything about TF is better than Returns: the music is better because Wise is back on the sound team, the Snomads are significantly more memorable than the weird tiki masks, Dixie and Cranky added more variety to complain, and the overall level design felt sharper and had better set pieces. Some of the secrets were obtuse, yes, but that usually happens with secrets and they just unlock even HARDER levels so you're not missing out on anything.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    So has anyone played this yet?

http://youtu.be/Pbo7F2PcJr8

Because it looks amazing

Joolander on
  • Options
    Joolander wrote: »
    So has anyone played this yet?

http://youtu.be/Pbo7F2PcJr8

Because it looks amazing

It very much is! Other than 2 short sequences its damn near perfect, in my opinion.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Ori and the blind forest is amazing, although it's controls aren't quite good enough for some of the precise platforming it asks you to do, especially on some of the auto scroller levels, where it's really hard to recover. It's possible, and once you know what to do, it's not that hard.

Apart from those (few) frustrating parts, it's super solid and really lovely.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Don't really have anywhere else to talk about this anymore so

Nintendo announced their new president is Tatsumi Kimishima

He is currently the head of Human Recources, untill he is instated as president on Wednesday. I'm not sure where this article is getting he was the CEO of NoA, that's Reggie.

He's also a banker, apparently.

Fingers crossed I guess.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Miyamoto had been running things in the interim but evidently had no interest in permanently holding the position.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Kimishima was Noa ceo before reggie

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    Kimishima was Noa ceo before reggie

Oh, ok. Apparently Reggie was the COO before that.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I actually prefer the original Donkey Kong Country trilogy to the Returns games.

Mainly for three reasons:

1. I dislike the new Partner mechanic where Player 1 has to be Donkey Kong no matter what, and if you're playing solo then the other characters are just a power-up.
    2. This is a Donkey Kong game...where are the barrels for me to throw? Aside from the DK Barrel, they seem few and far between.
    3. I'd like to see more Animal Buddies. The originals had new ones with new playstyles every game. Granted, Cranky kind of fills Rattly's role now, but they could still make some new ones or do some interesting levels with Squitter or something.

I also miss the old enemies (not just the Kremlings, but also Gnawties and Zingers/Buzzes), though at least the Snomads were better than the Tikis.

Granted, part of that is because they called the game "Donkey Kong Country Returns," inviting direct comparison to the original trilogy. On their own, they're still solid platformers.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    I actually prefer the original Donkey Kong Country trilogy to the Returns games.

1. I dislike the new Partner mechanic where Player 1 has to be Donkey Kong no matter what, and if you're playing solo then the other characters are just a power-up.
    2. This is a Donkey Kong game...where are the barrels for me to throw? Aside from the DK Barrel, they seem few and far between.
    3. I'd like to see more Animal Buddies. The originals had new ones with new playstyles every game. Granted, Cranky kind of fills Rattly's role now, but they could still make some new ones or do some interesting levels with Squitter or something.

I also miss the old enemies (not just the Kremlings, but also Gnawties and Zingers/Buzzes), though at least the Snomads were better than the Tikis.

Granted, part of that is because they called the game "Donkey Kong Country Returns," inviting direct comparison to the original trilogy. On their own, they're still solid platformers.

I agree with all of this. Also, the platforming design was tighter (at least in 1 and 2). There was a snappiness to everything that isn't there in the new games--in fact, the new games are notably sluggish. Donkey (perhaps justifiably) has significant weight to him which makes movement feel a lot more constrained. One of the reasons Donkey was only ever in the first game of "his" series was because most people preferred playing as Diddy, who was a lot quicker and tighter. There's also a surprising amount of waiting you have to do in the new games, especially during boss fights, and for a platformer, having downtime is awful. As someone who loves difficult platforming challenges ('Animal Antics', VVVVVV's 'Veni Vidi Vici', a number of Rayman Origins/Legends courses), it's really important to have a design where, when you die, you can quickly get back to where you were.

Platforming challenges are predicated on the ability to incrementally improve your performance over time, and the line between that being a fun challenge and being a chore is drawn by how engaging the gameplay is. The original DKC games were, for the most part, great at this. Even barrel levels, once they got to the higher difficulties, either gave you the ability to control the barrels, or rotated quickly enough that weren't spending a bunch of time "waiting" for them (and you could pretty quickly learn the timing to shoot through them). In my opinion, this is DCKR/TF's biggest failing. Too often they're focused on fancy setpieces and having things happen to the levels, which makes replaying a segment a lot more tedious. Between that and the generally more constrained movement, I found myself "slogging" through stages far more than I did in DKC 1 and 2. And I've ranted before about the Tropical Freeze final boss, which is possibly the worst offender for this.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I actually haven't played every level of the Returns games, so I didn't want to comment on the level design yet.

In the original DKC, it was actually a design goal to make it so you would never have to stop moving. If you jump as soon as you get to the ledge, then that swinging vine will be where you need it to be to catch it. That kind of thing. Granted, there are a few spots where that won't work and I can't remember how well it carried over to DKC2 and 3.

• Options
    I actually haven't played every level of the Returns games, so I didn't want to comment on the level design yet.

In the original DKC, it was actually a design goal to make it so you would never have to stop moving. If you jump as soon as you get to the ledge, then that swinging vine will be where you need it to be to catch it. That kind of thing. Granted, there are a few spots where that won't work and I can't remember how well it carried over to DKC2 and 3.

That philosophy is mostly there in 2. You can definitely get into a rhythm with the game and everything just sort of gels.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Nintendo announced their new president is Tatsumi Kimishima

He is currently the head of Human Recources, untill he is instated as president on Wednesday. I'm not sure where this article is getting he was the CEO of NoA, that's Reggie.

He's also a banker, apparently.

Fingers crossed I guess.[/quote]

He's been in charge of some fairly important parts of the company. He's clearly more of an interim president though. I suspect in a few years we'll see a new younger guy .

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    edit: misread that post

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    OK counterpoint I find the Returns games a lot more fun to play with cooler levels and generally better movement than the SNES games

Tropical Freeze is so nice

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I think the new games play better and have snappier controls

But I find the levels way, way more memorable in the original games. I think its the hand drawn backgrounds? Everything feels kind of samey in the new games.

Plus I much, much, MUCH prefer the 'each kong takes one hit and the other follows you around' style in the old games, I really don't like that they got rid of that.

And the animal companions

Basically without the teamup stuff and the animals it doesn't really feel like a DKC game to me. BUT they're very well made and the actual platforming challenges are great

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    OK counterpoint I find the Returns games a lot more fun to play with cooler levels and generally better movement than the SNES games

Tropical Freeze is so nice

I don't think they're necessarily objectively worse games. But they're significantly different in what they deliver. For me, Donkey Kong Country 2 is the undefeated king kong of platformer mountain, so departing from the way that game played was a mark down for me.

Tropical Freeze is absolutely gorgeous, though. Aesthetically, that game is incredible. I was just grinning the entire time through some of those levels.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular

I agree with all of this. Also, the platforming design was tighter (at least in 1 and 2). There was a snappiness to everything that isn't there in the new games--in fact, the new games are notably sluggish.
    This is the PRECISE inverse of my opinion. I found the way the SNES games moved to be consistently muddy and counterintuitive and generally unpleasant, whereas DKCR controlled perfectly fine.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    ty the tasmanian tiger 4 announced at TGS

this is not a joke

• Options

this is not a joke
    Hahahahahahaha what the fuck

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    No OK sure, fuck it.

Bring back all the also ran mascot platformers.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular

this is not a joke

PRAISE YOOKA LAYLEE

THE MASCOT PLATFORMER HAS RETURNED

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I wonder if Activision would actually make a new Spyro game

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    You mean that Skylanders dragon that isn't Drobot???

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    You mean that Skylanders dragon that isn't Drobot???

or bash
    or cynder
    or zap
    or camo
    or sunburn or whirlwind or flashwing or blades or echo or blackout

or spotlight

• Options
    http://blogs.sega.com/2015/09/14/sonic-boom-fire-ice-moves-to-2016/

in a stunning turn of events, sega has delayed a sonic game, rather than release a buggy mess