Options

The Sonic and other Platforming Games thread!

12345679»

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Well, it could just turn out to be a delayed, buggy mess. I'd like to believe that the amount of negative attention the first Sonic Boom game got finally gave them the kick in the pants they needed to get their shit together, but I'm not going to make any assumptions.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Sonic boom's big issue was the developer basically falling apart during development and that the game was clearly something they built before hand and modified to fit Sonic in it

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Is the new one a different dev?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Didn't Sonic Boom get patched so it isn't as terrible? l remember hearing something about a patch. Contemplating on getting it if I ever see it in a bargain bin.

• Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited September 2015

It's not the same devs who the made the WiiU one (Rise of Lyric), but it is the same devs who made the previous 3DS one (Shattered Crystal).
    Sonic boom's big issue was the developer basically falling apart during development and that the game was clearly something they built before hand and modified to fit Sonic in it

There are some rumours going around that something happened at Big Red Button that resulted in them losing a ton of work as well (early trailers look much better than the final game graphically, heavily circulated concept art from the announcement barely showing up in the final game, etc etc). Obviously it's just a rumor, but could explain how such a broken mess was shipped as it was if they still needed to meet a release deadline.

Which makes the announcement of this delay even more comforting.

Igort on
  • Options
    Wasn't the 3DS one significantly better?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Wasn't the 3DS one significantly better?

It had issues but it was definitely a better game. It also behaved more like a 2d sonic.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    The rumor I heard is that they were originally building it for ps4/xb1 then sega signed a deal with nintendo and they had to quickly shrink a cryengine game down for wii u

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Double post

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2015
    Igort wrote: »

It's not the same devs who the made the WiiU one (Rise of Lyric), but it is the same devs who made the previous 3DS one (Shattered Crystal).

There are some rumours going around that something happened at Big Red Button that resulted in them losing a ton of work as well (early trailers look much better than the final game graphically, heavily circulated concept art from the announcement barely showing up in the final game, etc etc). Obviously it's just a rumor, but could explain how such a broken mess was shipped as it was if they still needed to meet a release deadline.

Which makes the announcement of this delay even more comforting.

I heard somewhere, maybe during SGDQ this summer, that the big developer issue with rise of lyric was that it was originally being built in unreal 4 (or was it cryengine something? I really don't remember), for... 360/PS3? maybe PS4/xbone? and then the project got shifted to Wii U at the last minute and they had to scramble to get it barely working under the new hardware constraints.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Sorta, yeah.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Tropical Freeze is baller as Hell, a strong contender for the best 2D platformer in many years

But I think these boss fights are too long

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Tropical Freeze is baller as Hell, a strong contender for the best 2D platformer in many years

But I think these boss fights are too long

I wrote an entirely-too-long treatise on the boss battles in Tropical Freeze somewhere around here a while back. It boiled down to the main issue being not the length but the amount of waiting you have to do. There's a lot of time in most of the boss fights where you aren't actually doing anything and that really makes them drag.

It's a real shame because everything else about that game is stellar.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Although the owl one gets points for basically ripping off One Winged Angel in the year of our Lord two-thousand and fourteen.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited November 2015
    I guess it would be better without the waiting too

But I just beat the polar bear last night. I had to hit him.... 10 times, I think? Which meant getting through more attack phases with every subsequent hit

That much waiting time and dodging combined with a slippery floor in a game that controls like this one? That's not as fun as it could be, game

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

But I just beat the polar bear last night. I had to hit him.... 10 times, I think? Which meant getting through more attack phases with every subsequent hit

That much waiting time and dodging combined with a slippery floor in a game that controls like this one? That's not as fun as it could be, game

I actually haven't beaten the final boss because of this. I had a run where I almost got him and it was, like, 8 minutes and I was just done. The secret true final boss in DKC2, for comparison, is about 2 minutes when you get it right. So much easier to do over and over again until you nail it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    You know what game really nails the whole 2D-platformer pacing thing? Rayman Legends. You're almost constantly moving and if you die, you respawn in about half a second.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited November 2015
    I need to play Legends

The thing is that Tropical Freeze outside of its boss battles is so good that I just want the boss battles to be as good; if they were it might be the best 2D platformer I've ever played, full stop. The environmental interaction and the pace and the obstacles and the difficulty, the balancing on it is so perfect when you're running and jumping and throwing barrels

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I need to play Legends

The thing is that Tropical Freeze outside of its boss battles is so good that I just want the boss battles to be as good; if they were it might be the best platformer I've ever played, full stop. The environmental interaction and the pace and the obstacles and the difficult, the balancing on it is so perfect when you're running and jumping and throwing barrels

It took me a long time to get over the fact that it wasn't and never would be Donkey Kong Country 4, but looking past that, yeah, it's a fantastic game apart from those flaws.

And yeah, definitely give Legends a try if you have the chance. I think it's probably my favorite platformer of this generation (with Tropical Freeze and Yoshi's Woolly World close behind).

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

I actually haven't beaten the final boss because of this. I had a run where I almost got him and it was, like, 8 minutes and I was just done. The secret true final boss in DKC2, for comparison, is about 2 minutes when you get it right. So much easier to do over and over again until you nail it.

Fighting this guy now

What a prick

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

Fighting this guy now

What a prick

I really hate battles where I figure out what I need to do, but can't just go and do it. Gotta wait for the right things to happen first. The old formula of "dodge, dodge, dodge, attack" was just fine. It didn't need to be more cinematic.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Beat him after a nap and about four more tries

Truth be told he's not that bad—all of his attacks are pretty easy to dodge except for his third stage charge attack, which is annoying but not insurmountable. He just takes a long, long time. If a Zelda boss takes that long to kill it's usually because it's a multi-stage final boss with mechanical transitions and discrete health segments you have to wear down

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Gonna just pop in for a second to say that Rayman Legends is, indeed, fantastic. And it has a bunch of female characters you can play as.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Beat him after a nap and about four more tries

Truth be told he's not that bad—all of his attacks are pretty easy to dodge except for his third stage charge attack, which is annoying but not insurmountable. He just takes a long, long time. If a Zelda boss takes that long to kill it's usually because it's a multi-stage final boss with mechanical transitions and discrete health segments you have to wear down

Yeah, my issue wasn't with the difficulty. It's that I just lost patience with it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d1jTRvxZkQ

Holy shit this game had a great staff roll, though

And this uncut version is even better

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Number one best thing they did for that game was getting Dave Wise back.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    heads up, sega just threw a TON of music up on spotify, notably a lot of sonic stuff

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    You know what game really nails the whole 2D-platformer pacing thing? Rayman Legends. You're almost constantly moving and if you die, you respawn in about half a second.

Going back and playing the Origins levels that are in Legends, oh my god that game is such an improvement from the first one. So much of Origins was just straight up bullshit, and extremely long platforming sections without any checkpoints. And the bosses were absolutely awful.

• Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    heads up, sega just threw a TON of music up on spotify, notably a lot of sonic stuff

Also Jet Set Radio.