As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Programming] Mirror, mirror, on the wall, show the git diff for them all

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    Sadly programmers never get time and half for overtime. We can thank the FLSA exemption for that.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Ethea wrote: »
    Sadly programmers never get time and half for overtime. We can thank the FLSA exemption for that.

I would never work on weekends or holidays without some sort of 'extra' compensation. An hour or two at the end of my day is one thing.

Either way, that changes from like 1000 to like 800. Not a huge difference at the end of the day, and I bet his compensation will be a 10th of that.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I understand the concerns. If this was occurring every week then I'd absolutely bring it up to them, but our deadline moved from MARCH of this year to September because of poor management/development. There's no way the I can ask them to move the deadline at this point without jeopardizing everyone's jobs.

If, after go live, this is still going on then I will be going straight to the CEO and telling him straight up that it's just not going to work.

How senior are you exactly?

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »
    I understand the concerns. If this was occurring every week then I'd absolutely bring it up to them, but our deadline moved from MARCH of this year to September because of poor management/development. There's no way the I can ask them to move the deadline at this point without jeopardizing everyone's jobs.

If, after go live, this is still going on then I will be going straight to the CEO and telling him straight up that it's just not going to work.

As a Developer or Employee? Employee I'm approaching 1 year. Developer I'm probably at about 5 years now.

• Options
    edited September 2015

As a Developer or Employee? Employee I'm approaching 1 year. Developer I'm probably at about 5 years now.

I mean what's your title?
    Engineer, senior engineer, project manager, director, etc

Rend on
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Winforms question:

why the hell does this not work?
                Connections = new Dictionary<string, EventManager.Connection>();
                BindingSource source = new BindingSource();
                source.DataSource = Connections;
                ConnectionsComboBox.DataSource = source;
                ConnectionsComboBox.ValueMember = "Value";
                ConnectionsComboBox.DisplayMember = "Key";

public class Connection
        {
            public string hostname { get; set; }
        }

Every answer to "how to bind a dictionary to a combobox" on the internet says this should work, but it doesn't.

I get the exception:
    An unhandled exception of type 'System.ArgumentException' occurred in System.Windows.Forms.dll

Additional information: Cannot bind to the new display member.

and this happens on the "ValueMember" property of the combobox, NOT the "DisplayMember" property, which makes me think that the .Net exception text here is just flat out wrong.

I think every single one of these guides just assumes you're using two strings / ints as your keys and values in your dictionary.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Your Value needs to override ToString (Connection class in this instance)

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Oh wait that's wrong, huh... hmm.

• Options
    ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    @bowen is layin down some harsh truths, but he's on the money. My time is worth money dammit. And I certainly had situations were I worried about leaving co-workers in a lurch by leaving or missing a project deadline. But you know what, in every case when I followed up with those colleagues after the fact they wound up in better places and said I almost did them a favor.

It sounds like your sitch is pretty well-handled by you, @urahonky. Just don't give the company an inch. Ever.

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    @jaziek try this:
    ConnectionsComboBox.DataSource = new BindingSource(Connections, null);

• Options
    I mean that's practically what you have written but I dunno if it's really picking about BindingSource or something.

• Options

Software Engineer right now.

• Options
    Ironically they hired me in as a Junior Software Developer.

• Options

Software Engineer right now.

So as far as the project is concerned you're some flavor of rank and file developer. You're not responsible for the schedule of the project in the same way that you're not responsible for business decisions regarding how to market the product. That is completely and totally not your role, and in fact, high level project decisions are above your seniority level.

As a result, you will never ever, as you say, "ask them to move the deadline." What you will do is report that the product won't be ready by the deadline. Is this your fault? That depends. Did you make a mistake in the past week which cost you like 2 weeks total? No? Then no, it's not your fault.

Your project manager should be paying a LOT of attention to you and all of your fellow developers, making sure everything is according to schedule. If it suddenly isn't, your project manager should be the one to ensure the schedule is updated to reflect your current progress. And if they don't, it certainly isn't your fault or any of your peers' fault that they chose either not to pay attention or to let the situation get out of control.

Your job and your peers' job should not be in danger for missing a deadline set sufficiently far in advance like this one is. And if it is in danger, you're working at a place that fundamentally misunderstands the role of a project manager.

• Options
    You should be senior software and you should get a 30% raise.

• Options
    His project manager got fired, though.

So this whole situation is pretty much being forced out of his hand.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    His project manager got fired, though.

So this whole situation is pretty much being forced out of his hand.

If he is not managing the project, he is not responsible for the schedule of the project.

End of statement. If he is held responsible for it without being named project manager, that's a fundamental break in the way the system works.

• Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    I really think what he's doing reflects negatively on him and I completely agree with everything Rend said.

• Options
    Yup. Good luck convincing upper levels, they'll pass the blame to him.

"We fired the project manager because we thought he was fucking us, so obviously (to me), honky should've stepped up to the plate at his own expense! Not delivering was completely his fault, not mine for being a terribly shitty boss!"

• Options
    Nah other dev is getting "fired" (he's a contractor so they're just not renewing his contract). Project Manager is still here along with me and three others.

• Options
    Oh I thought they fired the PM because he was attempting to commercialize something.

• Options
    Oh I thought they fired the PM because he was attempting to commercialize something.

There's more to it than that, but he wasn't a PM. I'm... actually not sure what he was, but we were told to go to him with our problems and that he would get answers. Unfortunately for us and him he wasn't actually getting answers and basically lying to the shareholders.

• Options
    Nah other dev is getting "fired" (he's a contractor so they're just not renewing his contract). Project Manager is still here along with me and three others.

Awesome

Then he should be ensuring the schedule is still realistic

• Options
    What the fuck is going on?

Are all the others working OT like you are?

• Options
    What the fuck is going on?

Are all the others working OT like you are?

Unnecessary since it's all development work left.

• Options
    So you, are, in fact, the only developer?

• Options
    edited September 2015
    So you, are, in fact, the only developer?

Today is the other dev's last day, but he hadn't actually been doing anything for the past few months anyway. (Anything tangible that we've been able to test/see)

urahonky on
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    @jaziek try this:
    ConnectionsComboBox.DataSource = new BindingSource(Connections, null);

I mean that's practically what you have written but I dunno if it's really picking about BindingSource or something.

Yeah, tried that as well, still no dice.

I'm out of ideas.

Of course I'll get nowhere on stackoverflow with this, and microsoft's forums are even worse. Ho hum.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    Then just let your PM know it's probably going to miss the deadline.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    jaziek wrote: »
    Winforms question:

why the hell does this not work?
                Connections = new Dictionary<string, EventManager.Connection>();
                ConnectionsComboBox.DataSource = source;

public class Connection
        {
            public string hostname { get; set; }
        }

Every answer to "how to bind a dictionary to a combobox" on the internet says this should work, but it doesn't.

I get the exception:
    An unhandled exception of type 'System.ArgumentException' occurred in System.Windows.Forms.dll

Additional information: Cannot bind to the new display member.

and this happens on the "ValueMember" property of the combobox, NOT the "DisplayMember" property, which makes me think that the .Net exception text here is just flat out wrong.

I think every single one of these guides just assumes you're using two strings / ints as your keys and values in your dictionary.

It looks like it hates the empty dictionary.
    using System;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.ComponentModel;
    using System.Data;
    using System.Drawing;
    using System.Linq;
    using System.Text;
    using System.Threading.Tasks;
    using System.Windows.Forms;

namespace WindowsFormsApplication1
    {
        public partial class Form1 : Form
        {
            public Form1()
            {
                InitializeComponent();
            }

private void Form1_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
            {
                Dictionary<string, Connection> Connections = new Dictionary<string, Connection> { { "a", new Connection() } };

comboBox1.DataSource = source;
                comboBox1.ValueMember = "Value";
                comboBox1.DisplayMember = "Key";
                label2.Text = comboBox1.SelectedValue.ToString();

}
        }
        public class Connection
        {
            public Connection()
            {
                this.Hostname = "FakeDBServer";
            }
            public string Hostname { get; set; }
            public override string ToString()
            {
                return Hostname;
            }
        }
    }

This works. But if you do you just a new Dictionary<anytype,anytype>() it complains. I tried it with strings and ints, and it threw that same exception until I initialized the dictionary with some stuff.
    edit: Ghosted.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    If a dev's manager is out, his senior is out, and 62.5% of his team co-workers are out, how early can that dev sneak out on Labor Day weekend? Use long form answers, considering both work from home and lazy dev weekend scenarios.

For extra credit, consider how hard it would be for said dev to convince his mentor to leave as well.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    a
    gavindel wrote: »
    If a dev's manager is out, his senior is out, and 62.5% of his team co-workers are out, how early can that dev sneak out on Labor Day weekend? Use long form answers, considering both work from home and lazy dev weekend scenarios.

For extra credit, consider how hard it would be for said dev to convince his mentor to leave as well.

Now.

• Options
    I'm sorry, the now function has been depreciated. You want datetime::util::date::getSysTime(daytime::util::date.today().now(), 0, 0, true);

• Options
    gavindel wrote: »
    I'm sorry, the now function has been depreciated. You want datetime::util::date::getSysTime(daytime::util::date.today().now(), 0, 0, true);

-w

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    We have a "library" here at work, which is basically some shelves full of books nobody's got around to throwing out yet. I was just bemoaning that to someone as we passed -- there's things ranging from "essential a few years ago but not any more":
    eb9Zeey.jpg
    to the "comically old (though not completely irrelevant despite that)":
    P5foVlO.jpg

Then there's things like this, which I've never read, but had heard of and thought to myself "right, probably a classic, I guess. Let's see what's inside?":
    2BKCw7A.jpg

I swear, this was the first thing I saw:
    GGfwt6j.jpg

(A: it kind of itches, I guess? Further reading revealed it's talking about these, but it was a fairly surprising first impression otherwise)
    yes, there's a copy of the book I worked on, though Amazon has completely broken the author listing there. I'll leave it to the audience to decide which category it belongs in, though I'd say the first myself.

• Options
    That dude in the middle has resting bitch face.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Hmmm, I've got WPF thing I'm working on. It loads all this info into a window. It can be either read only or editable, and can toggle between. Most of the controls are textboxes which are styled to be border=0 and readonly when in read only mode, and border 1 and editable when in edit mode.
    Basically, they look and act like labels one way, and textboxes the other way.

But I have a set of them that are being weird. These 3 are in a grid inside a group box. They have a style on them BasedOn the above style which causes them to be hidden if the value they are bound to is blank.
    Everything looks fine if the window is loaded in edit mode. It looks like when loaded in read mode.
    It looks fine if starts in edit mode and then I toggle back and forth.
    But if I start in read mode, and toggle to edit mode, the text in them seems to get shifted down a couple of pixels so it's slightly cut off.
    Something seems to be goofed up with the autosizing on them that none of the others have a problem with.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I tried to sneak out.

Then I broke my build on the last compile.

• Options
    I've got a meeting from 2 to 3.

I'm out right after.

• Options
    Aaand now it works again?

Alright, which one of you is haunting my SQL servers?

This discussion has been closed.