As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play: Xenonauts: Strategic Planetary Defence Simulator (image heavy)

• Options
    SomeWarlockSomeWarlock Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Apparently we do have something that can fix a case of corpse!

I do like how Xenonauts has civilians running around on non-terror missions.

The civilians aren't all helpless targets in Xenonauts.

If you look closely at the mission result screen, the two "civilians" that died were "local forces." In this case they were police officers armed with their sidearms. Alas, the locals are usually no match for even the the aliens. However occasionally they can be seen pulling off impressive feats. Like farmer John ambushing an alien in a blind corner with his old double barrel shotgun. You can see members of local militia units armed with AK-47s. Occasionally the mission will take place near an army base and you can fight alongside soldiers armed with M16's.

Very minor gameplay spoiler for those who never played Xenonauts:
    As the game goes on, Local Forces eventually upgrade to laser weapons too, meaning some of Xenonaut tech makes it to the outside world. Police units will get Laser shotguns, and Army units will get Laser Rifles. That usually happens by the time Xenonauts are running end-game gear, but it's a nice touch.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I wish you could recruit local forces if they prove badass enough. I remember a cop who shot a sebillian point blank in the face five times.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I recall one game farmer badass who took up cover in his barn and killed three reapers(chrysallids) with reaction fire from his boom stick.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    @cB557

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyAn3fSs8_A

also, treat the old girl well, okay? We've been through a lot together.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    ~cB557

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyAn3fSs8_A

also, treat the old girl well, okay? We've been through a lot together.
    I promise to not trick an alien craft into crashing into it after I eject unless if I really want to.

cB557 on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    @cB557 Just remember kid, we've got to, uh, "keep up extraterrestrial relations" if you catch my meaning
    You know, flipping the bird?

http://youtu.be/wUZxSf_P2r0

Joolander on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    If there is going to be an extra aircraft at some point I'll !signup

Gotta keep my trend of being a pilot in every lets play of this type of game.

If not I'll be a medic or something.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Really there's no question.

Get Texas on those greys (and greens and...).

Now, when you say "Get Texas" do you mean Texas as in "Bigger and better guns for everybody", or "Let's lock them up in cages like cattle farmers so we can figure out which ones taste good" or possibly "Everything's bigger in Texas, especially the explosives"?

Cause right now "Cattle Rancher" looks like it's got a pretty solid lead.

• Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    I only deploy in the designated zone for helicopter parking.

MegaMek might be able to swing me a handicap tag now, though!

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Really there's no question.

Get Texas on those greys (and greens and...).

Now, when you say "Get Texas" do you mean Texas as in "Bigger and better guns for everybody", or "Let's lock them up in cages like cattle farmers so we can figure out which ones taste good" or possibly "Everything's bigger in Texas, especially the explosives"?

Cause right now "Cattle Rancher" looks like it's got a pretty solid lead.

After reading your post...

Yes.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Apparently we do have something that can fix a case of corpse!

I do like how Xenonauts has civilians running around on non-terror missions.

The civilians aren't all helpless targets in Xenonauts.

If you look closely at the mission result screen, the two "civilians" that died were "local forces." In this case they were police officers armed with their sidearms. Alas, the locals are usually no match for even the the aliens. However occasionally they can be seen pulling off impressive feats. Like farmer John ambushing an alien in a blind corner with his old double barrel shotgun. You can see members of local militia units armed with AK-47s. Occasionally the mission will take place near an army base and you can fight alongside soldiers armed with M16's.

Very minor gameplay spoiler for those who never played Xenonauts:
    As the game goes on, Local Forces eventually upgrade to laser weapons too, meaning some of Xenonaut tech makes it to the outside world. Police units will get Laser shotguns, and Army units will get Laser Rifles. That usually happens by the time Xenonauts are running end-game gear, but it's a nice touch.

Can't help wondering if that's a nod to the original,
    where making laser weaponry - cannons, specifically - was one of the best-paying sidelines for your idle engineers.

• Options
    On Sept 19 at 2200 hours, a small scout was detected over Northern Africa. @Farangu 's Foxtrot was scrambled and shot it down near Chad.

@Elvenshae , @Phoenix-D , @Rhan9 , @Takel , @Frozenzen , @Heffling , @Fanda , @Docken . You're all on deck.

@Durinia is bringing the dropship in for a landing at the crash site. Intel reports that it crashed in an urban center. Expect civilians to be present.

We don't expect many hostiles to be at the drop site, but don't underestimate the threat. Even the sidearms issues to their noncombatants are frighteningly effective.

ug7r2ck5hkj7.jpg

Of less immediate concern are the scattered reports of alien activity in the Pacific and South China sea. That area of the globe is simply beyond our reach.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    f8p8eptgyyfs.jpg

Durinia sets us down near a major highway that moves through the city. It appears that some construction work was in progress on the highway prior to the crash. We can make use of the supplies as cover. Additionally there are some boulders and logs to our south that we can use as cover as we disembark from the dropship and begin pushing into the city.

Elvenshae sets up his LMG at the base of the ramp to cover the disembarkation of the rest of the troops.

So far, the LZ appears clear.

5nf5pq0dy1qh.jpg

At full sprint, Heffling moves to take cover by the downed tree and secure our southern flank.
    Heffling wrote:
    CONTACT! SOUTH EAS-ARGHK!!

an6gesga6ah0.jpg

elvenshae wrote:
    HEFFLING!!!!

ma5j9hnnjnnq.jpg

Heffling wrote:
    YOU WANT SOME OF THIS!?!?!

guaoigkzjawv.jpg

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    ga4gzorzes0o.jpg

Not gonna lie. The odds of surviving a hit like that are not good. But with the alien suppressed, the rest of the team is free to push forward towards flanking positions.

6nez9v1ktdum.jpg

Office Worker Man!!!

Why would the alien do that? Are they just attacking humans indiscriminately, or are they having difficulty identifying which of us are threats? Can they tell the difference between the soldiers fighting back and the people caught in the wrong place at the wrong time who are just trying to flee to safety? Do they view our weapons as so primitive as to be not much more impressive than an unarmed man?

Elvenshae, what do you think?

r07jc1vff73w.jpg

Yep. That's what I though. Our weapons seem like they're working well enough.

The next stop is to advance towards that bus.

kdzg56noqila.jpg
    Phoenix-D wrote:
    Heads up! One more hiding in the trees further south!

0q377av6q21g.jpg

Rhan9 and Elvenshae have an angle on the target and manage to kill it with a blistering crossfire. The barrage of fire was too close for comfort for frozenzen, and he is suppressed in cover. He can afford to take a breather though. He's at the rear of the formation and is safe where he is.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    The Plan: Research the effects of alien weapons on human physiology:

Step 1: Get shot by alien - Check
    Step 2: Turn body over to scientists - Pending mission completion.

• Options
    4xqdiw15xs5n.jpg

The dividing barriers are too high for our shield troopers to traverse, so we needed to blast a hole through them with a high explosive charge

We catch our first sight of the downed light scout once we cross the dividing line in the highway.

8c4e6iy3hwmp.jpg

We blast a hole in the wall to grant us access to the lot behind the UFO so that we can sweep it and secure the immediate area.

rmiqrw4qwood.jpg

The only thing we find in the lot is a civilian cowering behind some crates. With that area secure, Rhan9 moves to cover the entrance of the UFO with his LMG while Takel, Fanda, and Frozenzen prepare to breach the ship.

ajxenl0y6m5p.jpg

Takel opens the door and rolls a flashbang into the ship's interior

lt6w1nv51eeg.jpg

Hot on the flashbang's heels, Fanda dashes into the craft and executes the dazed alien.

djwphv242euv.jpg

With that, the UFO is secure and the mission is complete. Heffling's loss is a stark reminder that even the smallest alien force can be a deadly threat, but this mission was still a success. The cold reality is that casualties are an inescapable fact of war.

Hopefully the R&D labs will finish designing that scout car soon. It should be capable of flattening resistance in the immediate vicinity of the LZ so that our men can more safely disembark.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    uy3iajoagrgb.jpg

While you were away on your mission, the aliens intensified their activities in asian waters. Nothing we can do about it, but the local authorities are NOT pleased. (give us some more money and maybe we'll be able to afford a base in the far east. Better yet, give us control of one of your existing military bases. Unacceptable? THEN STOP YOUR WHINING).

q9m2416ox1g4.jpg

Later that evening, R&D finished their analysis of the alien power core that was captured last week. The crystal substance found within it appears to be some kind of advanced battery and our scientists are confident that they can tap into that power and use it to power our own devices!

The potential applications of this compact and potent power source are staggering, however the secrets to manufacturing this material are still unknown to us and we have no means of "recharging" the crystals once their energy is exhausted. Capturing additional supplies of this material from downed alien craft is a top priority.

The small "Light scouts" are not equipped with these alenium reactors. As a result we will be changing our policy towards our away missions. I currently do not believe that the potential gains of capturing a light scout whole outweigh the risk of deploying ground troops to the site. From now on air-striking crashed light scouts will become standard practice. Our ground troops will be reserved for capturing the larger craft that utilize these alenium reactors.

b0566mvynwrs.jpg

Disturbingly, our analysts have found evidence to suggest that the alien forces we've been engaging on the ground so far have been NONCOMBATANTS. One can only wonder what equipment their shock troops wield.

edit:

1dwo57c5ddy6.jpg

wh9naowyig24.jpg

Two days later on the 22nd, the design for the Hunter Scout car was completed. We are constructing the necessary facilities to maintain the vehicle as we speak. However we are too short on funds to produce on at this moment.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I don't always think with my gun, but when I do, I think at 600rpm.

Stay ventilated, my friends.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    idw4xlx6ryy8.gif
    I made a gif that doesn't look like completely terrible!

@Fanda
    Thanks for the pointers.

I'm gonna try and improve the quality of these updates as I go along.

xmqnp1qtj1ui.gif

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    idw4xlx6ryy8.gif
    I made a gif that doesn't look like completely terrible!

@Fanda
    Thanks for the pointers.

I'm gonna try and improve the quality of these updates as I go along.

My immediate family disagrees with the lack of terribleness in this gif.

Question though? Why did you send out a soldier instead of your riot shield scout to, well, scout?

• Options
    I was splitting up my riot shield soldiers to cover more ground. Phoenix-D had covered ground eastward and south, and takel was going to check the rest of the blind spots surrounding they dropship. It looked clear to advance to the nearest cover that was immediately outside the dropship. It turns out a Crack shot alien was just barely beyond Phoenix-D's Los.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Oooh yeah, I'm such a tank. 69HP. I could get hit with an alien peashooter and not be an instant corpse!
    Though I may have been replaced by a car... unless someone is needed for breaching duties.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular

xmqnp1qtj1ui.gif

Me and @Elvenshae obviously follow the same training video approach on dealing with contacts.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    idw4xlx6ryy8.gif
    See, this is why I specified that I was up for being a pilot.

cB557 on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Loot piñata!

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    lt6w1nv51eeg.jpg

Hot on the flashbang's heels, Fanda dashes into the craft and executes the dazed alien.

THIS IS HOW AUSTRALIA DOES IT LADS

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Fanda wrote: »
    lt6w1nv51eeg.jpg

THIS IS HOW AUSTRALIA DOES IT LADS

Drunk, bad tempered, and very, very, quickly?

Yeah, that matches what I've heard pretty well.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    When the scout car comes into play, I HIGHLY encourage using the rockets over the machine guns. As the player is unable to actually use or sell alien weapons anyway, a high-mobility high-TU rocket-lobbing mini-tank that ignores night conditions and petty things like fire and panic and suppression is pretty invaluable. It's not all that damage resistant, but it can soak damage much better than soldiers and doesn't have any recovery time between missions when it does take damage, you should almost always be able to get at least 2-3 worry-free kills with the car before it can get hit anyway, though a couple of well-placed shots can bring it down if you aren't careful.

Yes, the rockets are teensy bit destructive and will obliterate alien bodies and equipment, but it's no great loss if you've already captured one of the things you're firing at. Oh, and environments can restrict scout car movement sometimes, but that is frequently dealt with by blowing the hell out of the environment to make a path. You get 8 rockets to work with (and there is no need for TUs for reloading), which is almost always more than you need anyway. I find the MG option to be extremely "meh", as it's far better to simply obliterate enemies and obstructions rather than make them cringe unhappily by missing with a bunch of bullets; these rockets definitely work on the "horseshoes and hand grenades" principle, and lean towards the "fine pink mist" spectrum of results on a hit. And you can fire off a couple rockets a turn if you don't move, which means an assload of damage or destroyed cover on demand.

Oh, and they can see a good bit further than soldiers as well, so they even make good scouts!

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    When the scout car comes into play, I HIGHLY encourage using the rockets over the machine guns. As the player is unable to actually use or sell alien weapons anyway, a high-mobility high-TU rocket-lobbing mini-tank that ignores night conditions and petty things like fire and panic and suppression is pretty invaluable. It's not all that damage resistant, but it can soak damage much better than soldiers and doesn't have any recovery time between missions when it does take damage, you should almost always be able to get at least 2-3 worry-free kills with the car before it can get hit anyway, though a couple of well-placed shots can bring it down if you aren't careful.

Yes, the rockets are teensy bit destructive and will obliterate alien bodies and equipment, but it's no great loss if you've already captured one of the things you're firing at. Oh, and environments can restrict scout car movement sometimes, but that is frequently dealt with by blowing the hell out of the environment to make a path. You get 8 rockets to work with (and there is no need for TUs for reloading), which is almost always more than you need anyway. I find the MG option to be extremely "meh", as it's far better to simply obliterate enemies and obstructions rather than make them cringe unhappily by missing with a bunch of bullets; these rockets definitely work on the "horseshoes and hand grenades" principle, and lean towards the "fine pink mist" spectrum of results on a hit. And you can fire off a couple rockets a turn if you don't move, which means an assload of damage or destroyed cover on demand.

Oh, and they can see a good bit further than soldiers as well, so they even make good scouts!

Does it ignore night conditions? If it does, I wasn't aware of that.

However the bolded isn't true. All alien weapons are sold immediately upon completion of the mission. Any alien loot I destroy with explosives will be directly detrimental to my end-of-mission paycheck. See the excerpt from the last mission's "Mission complete" screen:

gdwj9pa0mdhf.jpg

Also, I'm pretty sure you can utilize alien weaponry with significant penalties if you pick it up mid-mission. It has been forever since I've tried that since I recall the penalties being really extreme, but it can work if you're point blank and have nothing better to use.

As a whole though, I agree. I will be utilizing the rockets for a number of reasons. Primarily that we already have several competent heavy gunners, for some strange reason the game only provides upgrades for the rocket style weapon and none for the machinegun style weapon, and the ability to manipulate terrain with the rockets is too damn useful.

I can splatter aliens, yes. But usually I'm targeting terrain. Frequently the more advanced aliens will survive the explosion but their cover will be destroyed so that soldiers can get clearer shots on the target and score the killing blow (preserving the loot).

The vehicles can also act as mobile cover by obstructing hostile lines of fire.

The riots shields are quickly going to become obsolete as alien weaponry gets more advanced (even now I don't expect them to survive two turns of attacks by aliens). The higher mobility, greater vision range, and immunity to suppression are all huge advantages for the vehicles.

The riot shields will retain some use as a point man for clearing UFO interiors. Soldier based scouting will also get a boost once we gain access to jetpacks (particularly useful for snipers).

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Whoops. Must not have been paying attention, alien body goo was in my eyes. :P Still, better to splatter some aliens than have them pull off some ludicrous shots to waste trained soldiers.

But yeah, vehicles get to ignore night conditions under the auspices of having headlights, and the terrain control the rockets offer is the chief ability that will make the scout car useful for a while. Being able to punch holes in most stuff makes it way easier and faster to clear a map. And when you get your teams stacked up outside an enemy UFO, the car can drive around looking for the odd alien or two that slips through the initial assault and is just waiting to flank your team or something.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    So are we attempting to rush Wolf armor then? Our research order so far doesn't really make any sense otherwise. Perhaps counter-intuitively, the first body armor available in the game isn't unlocked by the "alien alloys" tech, its unlocked by studying an alien plasma weapon (pistol or rifle) and then built out of conventional materials. Though if we can put up with engaging the enemy in our undies for a while longer and get hold of some more alloys, we could soon find ourselves using mid-game armor way ahead of schedule.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Huh, I guess we are. In my defense xenonauts tech tree is a bit of a mess. I could have sworn Jackal branched off of alien alloys. Beyond that I've just been following the polls. Logical research order be damned.

We are practically closer to wolf than we are to Jackal by now.

Wolf armor is more badass anyway.

We do have over a dozen soldiers back a base, so we have bodies. We're also basically stuck until October before we can afford to build any armor at all.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    If weight is a concern, I'm always willing to carry more rockets than armor. :pop:

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    So, my vote to rush towards stunrods for more suicidal charges was actually a vote that might lead to armor to survive suicidal charges?

Excellent.

• Options
    @MegaMek You're plenty strong and have an inventory that is full up on missiles, but you're also in sickbay for another week or so

@Frozenzen
    The non-lethal takedown stuff is actually a side project that's not connected to armor research. I made the mistake of assuming that alien alloy tech led to the first tier of armor. The first tier is actually hidden behind researching one of the plasma weapons. I suppose the Jackal armor is made out of that magnesium alloy that helps against plasma weapons if it doesn't horribly burst into flame.

We could have had some armor by now. The Jackal armor helps against alien small arms, but isn't much better than a placebo. Wolf armor is pretty great and far more likely to save your life.

I think we're researching both alien alloy fabrication and alien physiology (non-lethal takedown) at the moment.

Non-lethal takedown is more than stun batons. We've got knockout gas weapons in the works (but no rebreathers for you guys because reasons).

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    If there is one thing I wish Xenonauts would have done to make it better, it would be to steal features wholesale from Jagged Alliance 2 (1.13).

Customizable weapons (scopes, lasers, bloods, tripods, underslung grenades), tons of equipment (night vision, tactical sun glasses, elongated ear device, ceramic plate) options, colorful personalities (even for custom troopers) of your people and NPCs, the ability to separate people into squads, being able to train forces for enemy attacks (though in this case it could be a purchase of a region training regime which would put more better coordinated local forces in terror missions), the ability to start the tactical phase in real time and be able to sneak and then when in contact with the enemy it goes into a turn based battle mode, proning, the ability to combine two units on the map to converge on one location, when people go berserker from morale drop they don't automatically target their teammates if there's no enemy around, better more violent and gory deaths, the ability to aim at specific parts of a target like the torso, head, or legs and more.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    They're actually thinking about making a sequel, so those are some good ideas to suggest to them.

What always bugged me is the bottleneck resource I usually run into is money and not the fantastic alien materials that we can only acquire by capturing them from aliens.

I would think that in a doomsday scenario, money would become a non-issue as everyone volunteers to do their part to help the fight for our survival as a species.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    I would think that in a doomsday scenario, money would become a non-issue as everyone volunteers to do their part to help the fight for our survival as a species.

You're cute.

• Options
    As if we're gonna let some no good dirty aliens wipe us out before we can do it ourselves. :p

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    On top of everything else, we're talking about 1979. The Cold War was still going on, right up until Iceland.
    I'm slightly amazed there's as much cooperation as there is.

Commander Zoom on