As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tropical Storm Erika

2»

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Hope you guys on the east coast come through this alright. We in Hawaii have had to deal with a few storms this past month but we haven't been hit directly (yet, nobody's sure about Ignacio and Jimena).

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    East coast Florida here, space coast, just south of Cape Canaveral. Been watching Ericka for what feels like 10 years now. Just waiting for the damn thing to fall apart like Danny... just do it already! I'm still shell shocked from 2004...
    After the second Hurricane that year, every single person in Central Florida became a Meteorologist. Well, until nothing else hit after the third one (or fourth, if you include the Panhandle) for a decade.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Erika ripped herself apart over Cuba overnight, it is now a Tropical Remnant with little chance to reorganize according to NOAA. However, heavy rain is expected for the already flooded Florida peninsula.
    Gusts to tropical storm force are expected in squalls over portions of the Turks and Caicos Islands and the southeastern this morning. These conditions are expected to spread into the central Bahamas this afternoon and tonight. Gusts to tropical storm force in squalls are also possible over eastern Cuba today. Gusty winds could occur over southern Florida beginning Sunday.

The remnants are expected to produce total rainfall accumulations of 3 to 6 inches with maximum amounts of 10 inches possible across portions of the Dominican Republic, Haiti and eastern and central Cuba through Sunday. These rains could cause life-threatening flash floods and mud slides.

The storm has been blamed for the deaths of at least 20 people, with another 31 missing, on the small eastern Caribbean island of Dominica, authorities said.

Another four people died in Haiti in a traffic accident that apparently occurred in the rain, and one other person died in a mudslide just north of Port-au-Prince.

The eastern Cuban city of Santiago was hit by about two hours of heavy rain this morning as the storm was falling apart. Residents reported no flooding or other damage, saying they wished it would rain more to help alleviate a months-long drought that has hit eastern Cuba part icularly hard.

“It’s a little cloudy, there’s some wind, but not very strong. But I wish it would keep raining to fill up the reservoirs, because we really need it,” said Jorge Barrera, a 56-year-old mechanical engineer.

Dominica Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit said in a televised address late Friday that damage inflicted by the storm set that island back 20 years. Some 15 inches (38 centimeters) of rain fell on the mountainous island.

“The extent of the devastation is monumental. It is far worse than expected,” he said, adding that hundreds of homes, bridges and roads have been destroyed. “We have, in essence, to rebuild Dominica.”

At least 31 people have been reported missing, according to officials with the Barbados-based Caribbean Disaster Emergency Response Agency. The island’s airports remained closed, and some communities remained isolated by flooding and landslides.

Before dissipating, Erika knocked out power to more than 200,000 people in Puerto Rico and caused more than $16 million in damage to crops there, including plantains, bananas and coffee.

In Haiti, authorities evacuated 254 prisoners in Gonaives to other locations because of flooding, and two people were hospitalized after their home in Port-au-Prince collapsed in heavy rains.

Four people died and another 11 were hospitalized in Leogane, just west of the Haitian capital, when a truck carrying a liquor known locally as clairin crashed into a bus and exploded. Authorities said it apparently was raining when the accident occurred.

Mudslides were blocking some roads north of Port-au-Prince, according to reports. One person was reported killed in a mudslide in that area.

Lh96QHG.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Erika ripped herself apart over Cuba overnight, it is now a Tropical Remnant with little chance to reorganize according to NOAA. However, heavy rain is expected for the already flooded Florida peninsula.

See? Diplomacy with Cuba is paying off!

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Gusts to tropical storm force are expected in squalls over portions of the Turks and Caicos Islands and the southeastern this morning. These conditions are expected to spread into the central Bahamas this afternoon and tonight. Gusts to tropical storm force in squalls are also possible over eastern Cuba today. Gusty winds could occur over southern Florida beginning Sunday.

The remnants are expected to produce total rainfall accumulations of 3 to 6 inches with maximum amounts of 10 inches possible across portions of the Dominican Republic, Haiti and eastern and central Cuba through Sunday. These rains could cause life-threatening flash floods and mud slides.

The storm has been blamed for the deaths of at least 20 people, with another 31 missing, on the small eastern Caribbean island of Dominica, authorities said.

Another four people died in Haiti in a traffic accident that apparently occurred in the rain, and one other person died in a mudslide just north of Port-au-Prince.

The eastern Cuban city of Santiago was hit by about two hours of heavy rain this morning as the storm was falling apart. Residents reported no flooding or other damage, saying they wished it would rain more to help alleviate a months-long drought that has hit eastern Cuba part icularly hard.

“It’s a little cloudy, there’s some wind, but not very strong. But I wish it would keep raining to fill up the reservoirs, because we really need it,” said Jorge Barrera, a 56-year-old mechanical engineer.

Dominica Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit said in a televised address late Friday that damage inflicted by the storm set that island back 20 years. Some 15 inches (38 centimeters) of rain fell on the mountainous island.

“The extent of the devastation is monumental. It is far worse than expected,” he said, adding that hundreds of homes, bridges and roads have been destroyed. “We have, in essence, to rebuild Dominica.”

At least 31 people have been reported missing, according to officials with the Barbados-based Caribbean Disaster Emergency Response Agency. The island’s airports remained closed, and some communities remained isolated by flooding and landslides.

Before dissipating, Erika knocked out power to more than 200,000 people in Puerto Rico and caused more than $16 million in damage to crops there, including plantains, bananas and coffee.

In Haiti, authorities evacuated 254 prisoners in Gonaives to other locations because of flooding, and two people were hospitalized after their home in Port-au-Prince collapsed in heavy rains.

Four people died and another 11 were hospitalized in Leogane, just west of the Haitian capital, when a truck carrying a liquor known locally as clairin crashed into a bus and exploded. Authorities said it apparently was raining when the accident occurred.

Mudslides were blocking some roads north of Port-au-Prince, according to reports. One person was reported killed in a mudslide in that area.

Well, at least she's on her way out.

Too bad she didn't dissipate sooner. :|

With Love and Courage
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Apparently my building was on the news last night, when I get home I'll have to look for it so I can show you what it was like dealing with the mad rush.

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Dammit, so my parents will only have to deal with some rain and some minor flooding....and here I was hoping that they'd face retribution for skipping to Florida on my 30th b-day.

No, I don't wish that upon them....okay, maybe a little

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Since this was my first experience with an impeding storm since owning a cat, I made sure I was prepared. Oh well. Meow Mix can't expire. :p
    (Incidentally one of my favorite Mage NPCs was named Erika, k and all.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Having a bit of extra cat food is good, but it's more important to have a carrier, food bowls, and blankets ready to go.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Since this was my first experience with an impeding storm since owning a cat, I made sure I was prepared. Oh well. Meow Mix can't expire. :p
    (Incidentally one of my favorite Mage NPCs was named Erika, k and all.)

It's a good idea when you're in an area prone to this sort of thing just to have a prep bag ready to go, and a plan on the table so that everyone knows what to expect & what to do.

So yeah, keep the extra Meow Mix around alongside a couple of bottles of water and some non-perishables.

With Love and Courage
  • Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    I was in the Dominican Republic when the storm hit. Everyone I talked to was happy about the rain, since they'd been in a serious drought for almost a year and this really helped.

Their infrastructure is really bad though, so I completely believe that roads were washed out.