As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"Bad" Food Thread: A Whole Night of Self-Doubt, Regret and Food Baby

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    V1m wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    Hmm. I've never done the math on the cost of home made pizza before.

6 bucks for block of cheese
    6 bucks for a jar of nice sauce
    5 bucks for bag of flour
    4 bucks for jar of yeast
    4 bucks for bag of sugar
    4 bucks for big thing of salt
    4 bucks for some olive oil

Mind you most of these ingredients last a while and yield plenty of dough over their shelf life so I wonder how it really breaks down per pizza.

Well I have a suggestion to save you 4 bucks right there

I use the sugar for other things than proofing the yeast.

Like coffee and such. Other baked goods.

Really the flour and sugar and olive oil and salt I just keep around.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »
    If this has gotten posted and I missed it I apologize but it is an outrage. Biscuits are the superior McDs breakfast sandwich and the fact that I'm in a McMuffin state is unacceptable.

fxmvxaIl.jpg

oh and this isn't totally accurate, Washington is definitely a biscuit zone, and I'm like 75% sure it's statewide

Nevermind that I'm in Canada, and this map doesn't apply. I was actually upset that McDs dropped the biscuit from the breakfast menu option. The biscuit was the superior option of the two.

But that doesn't matter, because we still have McGriddles and that is the superior sandwich option, bar none. Who wants a dry, crusty piece of bread when you can have moist, soft, syrupy goodness?

Also, I totally had a coupon for a 20 nugget sharebox and may have used it yesterday all for myself. I'm such a fat ass, but I have no remorse.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

5 bucks for bag of flour
    4 bucks for jar of yeast
    4 bucks for bag of sugar

Mind you most of these ingredients last a while and yield plenty of dough over their shelf life so I wonder how it really breaks down per pizza.

I buy 500g bags of 'bread mix' for £0.89; bread flour with yeast, salt &c already in the packet. Add warm water and olive oil, knead and leave to rise. One of those makes a very good size base for 2 pizzas. Might be worth seeing if there's a similar product available for you, because the results are just fine.

http://www.wrightsflour.co.uk/shop_sub.aspx?productcategoryid=1

EDIT: there are a whole bunch of similar looking products on amazon.com

V1m on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    that set of ingredients seems like it would last for multiple pizzas easily

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    that set of ingredients seems like it would last for multiple pizzas easily

Probably 8 or 10 rounds depending on the size of flour bag I get.

I usually get a 4lbs bag of King Arthur bread flour.

Mind you I also like baking regular ass bread and stuff so it ain't like I'm just making pizzas with it.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Kamiro wrote: »

5 bucks for bag of flour
    4 bucks for jar of yeast
    4 bucks for bag of sugar

Also, I just noticed. $4 for olive oil? Are you getting the smallest container possible? Might as well splurge and get the big jug and save on volume. Not like it goes bad.

Yeah usually like a 4oz bottle. I really only use two tablespoons in my recipe anyway. And not for much other cooking where I lean towards vegetable or canola oils.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I told work I'll be bringing in those brownies. I'm committed now, we're all getting diabetes and I will only have one single piece with zero leftovers coming back with me.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular

5 bucks for bag of flour
    4 bucks for jar of yeast
    4 bucks for bag of sugar

I think you mean blooming the yeast.

And just get instant yeast! No blooming required!

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Madican wrote: »
    I told work I'll be bringing in those brownies. I'm committed now, we're all getting diabetes and I will only have one single piece with zero leftovers coming back with me.

Ever since I saw this recipe and read the suggestion of substituting peanut butter cups for oreos, I've wondered what other candy or cookies you could sub in. At a minimum, you could probably easily use an assortment of oreo types instead of just using the original cream.

M&M's? KitKat? Milky way? Three Musketeers?

... ... :exclaim: York Peppermint Patties.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Nutter butter cookies would be pretty good...

• Options

Ever since I saw this recipe and read the suggestion of substituting peanut butter cups for oreos, I've wondered what other candy or cookies you could sub in. At a minimum, you could probably easily use an assortment of oreo types instead of just using the original cream.

...I'm stealing your idea.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    I wonder how Coffee Crisp would faire, or Caramilk.

For a Canadian twist.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I just ate

Way too much of this.

but I still have leftovers.

Except for Naan, I ate all the naan.

Well which is it?

You have leftovers or naan is left?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Regarding the pizza dough discussion: This may be a bit blasphemous, but most grocery store chains have pre-made dough in the refrigerated section. Ours has it by the 'fancy' cheeses.

It's 3 bucks, and comes from a local bakery. I'm fairly confident in saying it's better than anything I'm willing to make at home! Then it's just stretching it out and throwing on whatever toppings sound the best (usually ham, red onion, and ricotta cheese). I do make my own sauce, though.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

Using the peppermint patties? Let me know how they turn out! Please.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Using the peppermint patties? Let me know how they turn out! Please.

I'll take pictures when I make them.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    They had Biscuits and McMuffin's where I am here in New York.

How are their hotcakes by the way? I'm not sure about getting pancakes from McDonalds but I'm willing to give them a shot.

Rubbery garbage. Don't bother.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

I'm thinking Snickers, though you'd probably want to cut them in half so the brownies weren't too tall to cram down your food hole.
    You get the chocolate, the caramel, the nougat and the peanuts all in one single layer.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

How are their hotcakes by the way? I'm not sure about getting pancakes from McDonalds but I'm willing to give them a shot.

Rubbery garbage. Don't bother.

like most freezer pancakes, yeah

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    You could also stuff them with girl scout cookies... but then you might eat till you explode like a goldfish. Is it worth the risk?

• Options
    E.Coyote wrote: »
    You could also stuff them with girl scout cookies... but then you might eat till you explode like a goldfish. Is it worth the risk?

Girl Scout cookies aren't until next year.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    McDonald's is selling little pumpkin pie pastries and goddamn it

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I was going to say that McDonald's actually makes fresh pancakes, but I guess they don't anymore? Back in high school I worked there for a summer and all I did was flip pancakes and put the eggs inside the little metal circles for the mcmuffins.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I think I'll buy donuts tomorrow on my way to work. I'll give some to my paras but they are mostly going to be for me.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    I use sugar for my homemade pizza sauce. Otherwise it's a bit too acidic.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

Pancakes are OK, if you're fine with McD's in general. I'll get the big breakfast with pancakes sometimes and it doesn't beat a big plate of corned beef hash from a greasy spoon, but not much does.

• Options
    I think I'll buy donuts tomorrow on my way to work. I'll give some to my paras but they are mostly going to be for me.

Donuts are always an excellent choice, and they keep for a fairly long time too if you don't mind them being a bit stale.

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    The real cost of homemade pizza is the stand mixer. Because hell no I am not kneeding all that dough.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    The real cost of homemade pizza is the stand mixer. Because hell no I am not kneeding all that dough.

I do every time I make it.

It is exhausting!

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015

5 bucks for bag of flour
    4 bucks for jar of yeast
    4 bucks for bag of sugar

Also, I just noticed. $4 for olive oil? Are you getting the smallest container possible? Might as well splurge and get the big jug and save on volume. Not like it goes bad.

Uh, olive oil absolutely goes bad.

If you can go through a big ol' jug in a couple of months, go for it, but you basically don't want to be keeping olive oil longer than 6 months.

Which is doable, for sure.

Edit:
    Uriel wrote:
    Yeah usually like a 4oz bottle. I really only use two tablespoons in my recipe anyway. And not for much other cooking where I lean towards vegetable or canola oils.
    Yeah, do not buy a huge jug of olive oil if you are not gonna use it.

Olive oil is fruit juice. Fruit juice is best fresh.

sarukun on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Pizza dough is pretty easy to make, you just gotta know ahead of time if you are making it or not for proofing reasons.

And working the dough isn't that bad. Think about it as exercise.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    I just ate

Way too much of this.

The solution is to order a bunch of naan. Then you'll end up with no food, but some naan, after your next meal. At which point you'll order more food, to go with your naan. Repeat.

Basically, you'll want to create the 'Indian Food of Theseus'.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    .. Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Pizza dough is pretty easy to make, you just gotta know ahead of time if you are making it or not for proofing reasons.

And working the dough isn't that bad. Think about it as exercise.
    Ugh, no one wants to exercise while making pizza, Blake! (Although honestly, I exercise specifically so I can eat things that are horrible for me.) I will say, I used to make and proof pizza dough in my bread maker, but found I get a much better texture when I did it by hand. So that's what I do. Make it by hand! But not because it's exercise, but because of its deliciousness.

Gimme stuff. Please. And I don't just mean my Secret Satan.
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    I just ate

Way too much of this.

The solution is to order a bunch of naan. Then you'll end up with no food, but some naan, after your next meal. At which point you'll order more food, to go with your naan. Repeat.

Basically, you'll want to create the 'Indian Food of Theseus'.

The important question is.

What is your fav naan?

There is no wrong answer

Except peshwari. That is bad and you should feel bad

• Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    I haven't made homemade pizza for a while, and now I really want to again.

I make these pizza calzone bite whatevers that I bring to parties sometimes (because I am a wild partier) and they are so good.

This isn't the recipe I use, but they look just like these here. Only I roll out the dough into a huge rectangle and cut it into squares before tucking the bites into balls. Much simpler than whatever they are doing here.

I make the dough from scratch, and the kneading isn't that bad. My mom has a kitchenaid, but most of the time when I made these I was at a different house without a mixer and did the kneading by hand.

There's a kind of charm in doing the kneading manually like that sometimes, though when I want to do more than just an occasional bread baking I love the mixer. I go through baking 'kicks' sometimes, where for a few weeks I just want to bake kaiser rolls, breads, cinnamon rolls (actually nutmeg rolls, my brother is allergic to cinnamon), soft pretzels, etc.

Then I eat it all and feel super fat.

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    making some bolognese

put in phad thai sauce in the bolognese

will report on results

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    double post

I blame the phad thai

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    God, I just want sausages.

I want sausages so bad.

Sausage pizza.

Please, Lord and Savior, let the pizza place be open when I get home.

Edit: dammit why does everything close at 10pm!!!!

sarukun on
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

5 bucks for bag of flour
    4 bucks for jar of yeast
    4 bucks for bag of sugar

Uh, olive oil absolutely goes bad.

If you can go through a big ol' jug in a couple of months, go for it, but you basically don't want to be keeping olive oil longer than 6 months.

Which is doable, for sure.

Edit:
    Uriel wrote:
    Yeah, do not buy a huge jug of olive oil if you are not gonna use it.

Olive oil is fruit juice. Fruit juice is best fresh.

It doesn't go bad as in gonna-make-you-puke bad. But hell yes fresh is best, especially when using for anything where the oil flavour is a big draw. Salad dressings, mayonaise etc.

If I have oil that's starting to lose it's flavour then I just turn it into a flavoured oil. Just add a bunch of fresh garlic, shake it up good so the garlic is completely oiled and then wait a while (I shake it every few days for good measure). Boom, garlic oil!

• Options
    edited October 2015
    making some bolognese

put in phad thai sauce in the bolognese

will report on results

report is in

put the bolognese over some pearl couscous

it is delicious

that is all

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
This discussion has been closed.