As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"Bad" Food Thread: A Whole Night of Self-Doubt, Regret and Food Baby

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    God, I just want sausages.

I want sausages so bad.

Sausage pizza.

Please, Lord and Savior, let the pizza place be open when I get home.

Edit: dammit why does everything close at 10pm!!!!

Sorry you missed out on a sausage party :(

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Garlic and chili naan is the best naan.

Bar naan.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Garlic and chili naan is the best naan.

Bar naan.

It's good. But it's not keema naan

• Options
    I'd like to tell you my favorite, but unfortunately I haven't signed a Naan Disclosure Agreement.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Sausage mcgriddles are amazing and are the reason I know put sausage crumbles in my pancake batter when I make pancakes.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    @Tox do you ever eat Flapsticks?

Breakfast corn dog: breakfast sausage instead of hot dog and pancake batter instead of cornmeal batter

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Never had them but they sound amazing

• Options
    @Tox

jd.jpg

They also make them in Blueberry or Chocolate Chip

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Campy wrote: »
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    V1m wrote: »
    Hmm. I've never done the math on the cost of home made pizza before.

6 bucks for block of cheese
    6 bucks for a jar of nice sauce
    5 bucks for bag of flour
    4 bucks for jar of yeast
    4 bucks for bag of sugar
    4 bucks for big thing of salt
    4 bucks for some olive oil

Mind you most of these ingredients last a while and yield plenty of dough over their shelf life so I wonder how it really breaks down per pizza.

Well I have a suggestion to save you 4 bucks right there

I use the sugar for other things than proofing the yeast.

Like coffee and such. Other baked goods.

Really the flour and sugar and olive oil and salt I just keep around.

Also, I just noticed. $4 for olive oil? Are you getting the smallest container possible? Might as well splurge and get the big jug and save on volume. Not like it goes bad.

Uh, olive oil absolutely goes bad.

If you can go through a big ol' jug in a couple of months, go for it, but you basically don't want to be keeping olive oil longer than 6 months.

Which is doable, for sure.

Edit:
    Uriel wrote:
    Yeah usually like a 4oz bottle. I really only use two tablespoons in my recipe anyway. And not for much other cooking where I lean towards vegetable or canola oils.
    Yeah, do not buy a huge jug of olive oil if you are not gonna use it.

Olive oil is fruit juice. Fruit juice is best fresh.

It doesn't go bad as in gonna-make-you-puke bad. But hell yes fresh is best, especially when using for anything where the oil flavour is a big draw. Salad dressings, mayonaise etc.

If I have oil that's starting to lose it's flavour then I just turn it into a flavoured oil. Just add a bunch of fresh garlic, shake it up good so the garlic is completely oiled and then wait a while (I shake it every few days for good measure). Boom, garlic oil!

Again, yes, oil breaks down and goes rancid. Most olive oil will give up the ghost between a year and 18 months.

Edit: but this flavoring idea is fucking genius, for sure.

sarukun on
  • Options
    Yeah I've seen them and they sound absolutely awesome, just never had them before.

I wonder how they cook them. Probably fry them, which kinda sucks cuz if there's another way I could probably make them at home

hmm

• Options
    Tox wrote: »
    Yeah I've seen them and they sound absolutely awesome, just never had them before.

I wonder how they cook them. Probably fry them, which kinda sucks cuz if there's another way I could probably make them at home

hmm

Just buy them in the freezer section of the grocery store and reheat them in the microwave

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    .. Registered User, ClubPA regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

hmm

Just buy them in the freezer section of the grocery store and reheat them in the microwave
    Unless you're in a hurry, I would highly suggest preparing them in the oven. They get soggy when you microwave them, but have a nice, firm, crisp coating when you make them in the oven. Crisp might be the wrong word here. The pancake is still fluffy, but it's got a nice bite on the outside.

Gimme stuff. Please. And I don't just mean my Secret Satan.
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Oven is always better than Microwave anyway.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Yeah I mean that's all well and good, but, like, that's not gonna be better than homemade sausage pancakes :P

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Somehow, to this day, I have never even thought to wrap a snag in a pancake.

Definitely trying it this weekend.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Cook a flat sausage patty, then pour pancake batter on and around it and cool that. Sausage pancake.

• Options
    . wrote: »

hmm

Unless you're in a hurry, I would highly suggest preparing them in the oven. They get soggy when you microwave them, but have a nice, firm, crisp coating when you make them in the oven. Crisp might be the wrong word here. The pancake is still fluffy, but it's got a nice bite on the outside.
    . wrote: »

hmm

Of course I'm in a hurry! I'm try to eat Flapsticks!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options

5 bucks for bag of flour
    4 bucks for jar of yeast
    4 bucks for bag of sugar

Mind you most of these ingredients last a while and yield plenty of dough over their shelf life so I wonder how it really breaks down per pizza.

Also, I just noticed. $4 for olive oil? Are you getting the smallest container possible? Might as well splurge and get the big jug and save on volume. Not like it goes bad.

If you can go through a big ol' jug in a couple of months, go for it, but you basically don't want to be keeping olive oil longer than 6 months.

Edit:
    Uriel wrote:
    Yeah usually like a 4oz bottle. I really only use two tablespoons in my recipe anyway. And not for much other cooking where I lean towards vegetable or canola oils.

Oh, interesting. I buy the biggest jug I can get (gallon?) when I go to Costco and go through it in a few months. Less if I need to make a new batch of salad dressing.

You're doin' it right. I was de-va-stated when we went to a tiny little Olive farm in Paso Robles, CA, bought some expensive, really nice Olive Oil, and then absolutely did not have the balls to use it in anything, trying to save it for something special. When I finally got up the gumption a year or so later, I found it smelled rotten and it had to be thrown away.

You wanna be going through your olive oil in a handful of months. It's good and good for your you, use it! You can even fry with it if you really want to, just use a low heat! It lends its flavor to things you fry in it, and that's okay, because it is a good flavor!

• Options
    Go in and see what they got.

Pasolivo also had fucking artisan salts.

Ghost pepper salt is some rad shit, tell you what.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I find refrigerating olive oil will really extend its shelf life. It solidifies, so I have to think about it in advance if I'm going to use it, but since I live alone and don't cook a whole lot, even small bottles need to last a while.

• Options
    chromdom wrote: »
    I find refrigerating olive oil will really extend its shelf life. It solidifies, so I have to think about it in advance if I'm going to use it, but since I live alone and don't cook a whole lot, even small bottles need to last a while.

The magic of electricity and refrigeration technology cannot be overstated.

Yes, it will leach some flavor out of the things you eat, but being able to keep things cool and freeze things without transporting actual ice blocks to your house is a Goddamned miracle and nobody ever thinks about it.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Grislo wrote: »
    I just ate

Way too much of this.

but I still have leftovers.

Except for Naan, I ate all the naan.

The solution is to order a bunch of naan. Then you'll end up with no food, but some naan, after your next meal. At which point you'll order more food, to go with your naan. Repeat.

Basically, you'll want to create the 'Indian Food of Theseus'.

The important question is.

What is your fav naan?

There is no wrong answer

Except peshwari. That is bad and you should feel bad

I sometimes like a peshwari naan if I'm eating a hot and sour curry like a dansak.

But chapattis > naans anyway

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Garlic Naan is the omega bread. It is the ultimate form of bread.

• Options
    I am making mac and cheese tonight for a pre-canadian-thanksgiving dinner tomorrow night.

I like making mac and cheese. I put cauliflower in it.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I keep meaning to actually make mac and cheese some time

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    #pipe wrote: »
    I use this recipe

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/macaroni-cheese/

it's easy and delicious and wonderful

I appreciate that she includes so many pictures with her recipes. Gotta know what my meal is supposed to look like!

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    I use this recipe

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/macaroni-cheese/

it's easy and delicious and wonderful

I appreciate that she includes so many pictures with her recipes. Gotta know what my meal is supposed to look like!

She had plans of being a photojournalist before she married a rancher and moved onto a farm and had a bunch of kids.

She started taking photos of the food she was cooking as a hobby and the quality of the photos and the fact that she makes rich comfort food designed to keep you going while you drive cattle all day are what made her successful.

I like her a lot.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular

5 bucks for bag of flour
    4 bucks for jar of yeast
    4 bucks for bag of sugar

Edit:
    Uriel wrote:

Oh, interesting. I buy the biggest jug I can get (gallon?) when I go to Costco and go through it in a few months. Less if I need to make a new batch of salad dressing.

You're doin' it right. I was de-va-stated when we went to a tiny little Olive farm in Paso Robles, CA, bought some expensive, really nice Olive Oil, and then absolutely did not have the balls to use it in anything, trying to save it for something special. When I finally got up the gumption a year or so later, I found it smelled rotten and it had to be thrown away.

You wanna be going through your olive oil in a handful of months. It's good and good for your you, use it! You can even fry with it if you really want to, just use a low heat! It lends its flavor to things you fry in it, and that's okay, because it is a good flavor!

And the quality of the oil is a huge factor in smoke point.
    There isnt a whole lot of regulations that are enforced around olive oil quality levels, and you can think youre buying an extra virgin which'll smoke at like 150 degrees, while a genuine extra virgin that follows specific standards, you can get up to 250 degrees before reaching smoke point with those.

• Options
    Psykoma wrote: »

5 bucks for bag of flour
    4 bucks for jar of yeast
    4 bucks for bag of sugar

Edit:
    Uriel wrote:

And the quality of the oil is a huge factor in smoke point.
    There isnt a whole lot of regulations that are enforced around olive oil quality levels, and you can think youre buying an extra virgin which'll smoke at like 150 degrees, while a genuine extra virgin that follows specific standards, you can get up to 250 degrees before reaching smoke point with those.

I've seen like a dozen shockumentaries on "Olive Oil is the biggest scam in the universe". Basically just buy it at Costco, that crap is solid, if not artisanal.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Campy wrote: »

5 bucks for bag of flour
    4 bucks for jar of yeast
    4 bucks for bag of sugar

Edit:
    Uriel wrote:

It doesn't go bad as in gonna-make-you-puke bad. But hell yes fresh is best, especially when using for anything where the oil flavour is a big draw. Salad dressings, mayonaise etc.

If I have oil that's starting to lose it's flavour then I just turn it into a flavoured oil. Just add a bunch of fresh garlic, shake it up good so the garlic is completely oiled and then wait a while (I shake it every few days for good measure). Boom, garlic oil!

this is distinctly unwise, because botulism fuckin' loves it some garlic

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I just buy small bagels, sauce, and cheese.

Maybe not as good as a homemade pie, but when pizza's on a bagel I can have pizza any time.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    McDonald's is bringing back Monopoly on October 13... I knew it was coming because they always mail out a coupon booklet just before the event and the coupons are set to expire just before the promotion begins.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular

I want sausages so bad.

Sausage pizza.

https://youtu.be/sON0He2mTC8

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    One of the restaurants here at Disney World is supposed to be an old-timey diner, buffet style.
    Their "fish and chips" are these weird soft battered fish pieces with Terra taro chips mixed in.
    I'm not sure if that's the place not knowing what fish n' chips are, or a great trolling.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    One of the restaurants here at Disney World is supposed to be an old-timey diner, buffet style.

Their "fish and chips" are these weird soft battered fish pieces with Terra taro chips mixed in. I'm not sure if that's the place not knowing what fish n' chips are, or a great trolling.

Hollywood & Vine? So jealous!

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Garlic Naan is the omega bread. It is the ultimate form of bread.

I do love me some garlic naan. Also cheesey naan. Now, I'm not gonna suggest everybody tries this because to do so could result in some sort of mass event with possible disastrous effects for mankind, but my favourite thing to do is ask the chef at my favourite Indian places to make cheesey garlic naan bread.

Like I said, one or two of you at a time, we don't want to upset the balance between man and Earth here and fuck everything up.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular

I want sausages so bad.

Sausage pizza.

There's a farmers market out by us every saturday. They've got a meat company that sets up a stall and has fresh smoked sausage and bacon and steaks and salami and all that. Tried the salami and bacon so far. A++. Then last saturday we bought three pounds of their smoked sausage. Just the right amount of spice. Sliced some up and threw it in with our pasta sauce. Was really good!

That's the sausage tale of the day.

• Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Wrapping sausage links in the ready made crescent roll dough is also pretty tasty.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Their "fish and chips" are these weird soft battered fish pieces with Terra taro chips mixed in. I'm not sure if that's the place not knowing what fish n' chips are, or a great trolling.

Hollywood & Vine? So jealous!

Yes! Everything else was fine, the meatballs and the pork loin were good.
    Went there, Crystal Palace, and Tusker House; probably Palace was the best with Winnie Pooh & Co.
    When our CC saw Tigger, she climbed up on the table like a litte monkey to get away from him.

This discussion has been closed.