Options

[Diablo 3] Season 5: join PAF community for clan invite - early 2.4.1 info pg.93

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    the beasts/humans damage is just free damage no other weapon has either

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Fawst wrote: »
    Oh man... that reminds me of the days of power leveling my alt in Everquest using my girlfriend's account. I can't believe my PC at the time didn't run screaming from the room running two instances of EQ.

So I got an Akarat's Awakening from Kadala last night. Is there any reason NOT to roll Thorns on it? Seems like that's the best option. Of course, being on PS4 I can't see my fucking character on Battle.net (because reasons), so I have no idea what the stats rolled are.

I'm starting to realize how insanely lucky I was getting that. I think I've gambled with her a grand total of 20 times. Probably less.

depends on how much cdr you have probably.

My Crusader is rocking Blessed Hammers right now, but I was doing a Thorns build before I decided to switch it up for funsies. I had a crappy low-level Johanna's Argument that I cubed for the 100% Attack Speed buff to the hammers. I'm certainly not married to this particular build, and I actually want to do Thorns instead, I think. Feels more fun to bash things in the face up close rather than send off a hundred flying hammers.

That said, what should I be doing with the low-level Legendaries I picked up on the way to 70? I'm guessing anything without a (useful?) special ability is Salvage fodder? Can you "re-roll" the older ones to be level-appropriate for 70, or is the old stuff simply just old?

• Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    So what makes the pig sticker so good for the thornsader build? Is it just that it attacks fast? If so, aren't there other legendary daggers? Or is the +% dmg to beasts and humans valuable?

Five primaries.

butts
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Jookie wrote: »
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    So what makes the pig sticker so good for the thornsader build? Is it just that it attacks fast? If so, aren't there other legendary daggers? Or is the +% dmg to beasts and humans valuable?

Five primaries.

Plus you get the wonderful ability to annoy anyone listening to the game with the pig squeal.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    The best thing about it is that it'll squeal when you do almost any action. Call down your banner? Squeal. Spam emotes? Squeal.

butts
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    that's too much work considering somebody can level you in a fraction of the time :(

Yeah but no one was ever around when I was, and even when people were I couldn't get anyone to powerlevel me. So I figured I'd rather just put in the extra work and do it myself.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    It'd be kind of useful in hardcore.

butts
  • Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    The Merciless Witch

Removed her shields in both the Realm of Discord and Realm of Fright
    Significantly increased her health in the Realm of Discord

Thank fucking christ.

PTR notes live:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/20057106/patch-241-ptr-patch-notes-3-8-2016

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    the actual PTR is available as well... of which I'm not at home

BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    The Flow of Eternity 100% SSS damage better be part of the orange text

edit2: Crisis averted... Both FoE and Johanna's damage bonuses are orange text.

edit: finally!
    "In the event that both Act III and Act IV bounties are complete, the bonus act will now always be turned in first"

Noggin on
    Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I totally did the "self power leveling" stuff when I was bored... Only to then realize I have one of each class at 70 so I doubt I'll ever use them.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    I am now on the PTR and created community PAF... TMH is still PTRified and will need whomever is one of the 5 members with access to add people

• Options
    One thing someone pointed out in the comments section that I didn't even realize is that by buffing sets more and more, LoN becomes worse comparatively.

Whether or not that's perceived as a good thing or not is up to the individual.

butts
  • Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    Also today I learned you can totally self-powerlevel yourself.

It probably takes twice as long as normal powerleveling, but hey, you don't need anyone else for it. Well, and also it required a ton of prep work (leveling a handful of Gems of Ease to 25 to remove level requirement from a few things).

So here's what I used:

- Ancient Bucher's Carver with rank 50 Gem of Ease. Simply needed a weapon with high damage and this had it. Bonus: Rolled with high Life per Hit.
    - Leoric's Signet, level requirement removed with Kanai's Cube. Used this for the bonus exp. Slapped Boon of the Hoarder in there.
    - Hellfire Ring. More bonus exp.
    - Some rando Helm (used Broken Crown in this case) with level requirement removed. Slapped a Ruby in there for the exp bonus.
    - Custerian Wristguards, level requirement removed. Good synergy with Boon of the Hoarder.

In the Cube I used Furnace, Leoric's Crown (helloooo doubled bonus exp), and Avarice Band (easier to pick up gold from Boon of the Hoarder).

And that's pretty much it, I didn't feel like I really needed anything else beyond that. So I started a T6 Rift at level 1, and about 15 minutes later I was level 60. Crafted some level 60 yellows at this point. Started to slow down quite a bit once I hit 60, and I had to drop to T1. Took another 15-20 minutes to get from 60-70.

So now I have a 2nd level 70 Seasonal character. Gonna work on getting some sets and hopefully I can clear Years of War soon.

@Dibby Wear or cube Goldwrap for essentially infinite toughness with this build. Goldwrap + Boon = immortal.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    One thing someone pointed out in the comments section that I didn't even realize is that by buffing sets more and more, LoN becomes worse comparatively.

This was kind of my first thought when I saw all the set buffs, I figured it might be intentional on their part

• Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    edited March 2016

If the sets which were being buffed were also the top performing sets, that would be true.

But the best performing sets aren't really being touched.

Another way to look at it is, I don't see TOTAL power level going up next patch. Next patch is trying to bring weaker specs / sets / builds up to the current power level. The net result is LoN will be just as strong next patch as it is this patch. Arguably stronger as they are adding / changing / improving some legendary items that are worthless today.

HexDex on
    If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    Well. They're buffing weaker sets, yes. The problem is that buffing weaker specs doesn't typically mean equivalent power. It just means something new is now stronger. So the previously best set now has to be buffed in another patch. This isn't necessarily going to be true and they may be able to hit a sweet spot, or hit some spot where X is better in certain situations than Y, but in others Y is going to perform better or at an equivalent level.

butts
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Thing is, there aren't many top performing sets.

In fact, there was only one that could be called "the top", and that's DMO Twister. The other sets might as well be irrelevent, because none of them contributed more to pushing 4-Man's than a globe slave.

I mean, think about it. The top four man build was THREE classes supporting ONE class, ONE BUILD.

Now I'm mot saying 3 supports one deeps was bad in and of it self, the bad part, was that no class could take a DMO Twister's place.

I think they are just trying to get to a point where everyone could be the DMO Wiz, and destroying the three slave one deeps meta.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    HexDex wrote: »
    The Merciless Witch

Removed her shields in both the Realm of Discord and Realm of Fright
    Significantly increased her health in the Realm of Discord

Thank fucking christ.

PTR notes live:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/20057106/patch-241-ptr-patch-notes-3-8-2016
    Frostburn
    Now has Cold skills deal +15-20% increased damage and have a 50% chance to Freeze enemies as a Legendary Power

Magefist
    Now has Fire skills deal +15-20% increased damage as a Legendary Power

Other than an increased freeze chance on Frostburn, how is that different from before?

• Options
    Now those effects can be cubed

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Were all these "is now multiplicative" skills additive before?

Edit: "The amount of gold dropped by Gilded Barons has been reduced" PRE-ORDER CANCELLED!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Were all these "is now multiplicative" skills additive before?

Yes

Naphtali on
  • Options
    So there's a massive nerf, no? Weeeeeeeeeeeeee.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I guess it depends on what you mean by 'massive nerf'. Making them multiplicative essentially implements diminishing returns to the skills.

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    I thought it was the other way around. Like Skull Grasp has been terrible because the you were only -adding- 300-400% more damage to whirlwind, but now you're going to actually triple/quadruple the damage on whirlwind.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    yeah I'm really confused about when additive / multiplicative damage is applied

like they don't expose that information to the user at all, but it's some of the most important information for skill / gearing choices

• Options
    I've always understood it that additive is better. 50% + 50% = 50% boost. 50% x 50% = 25% boost. Maybe they're doing it differently. Hope so!

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Yeah, double checking, it does work like I thought. So the changes -to- multiplicative are buffs so Whirlwind is making a comeback!

Saldonas on
  • Options
    Multiplicative damage is always better than additive.

Diminished returns is true only when multiplying by a fraction, as in the case of CDR. If you already have 10% CDR and add 10% more... you still get a 10% benefit but the reduction in terms of seconds is not the same. The first time remove 1 second, the second removes 0.9 seconds, and so on. Same for damage reduction.

Multiplicative damage does not have diminished returns, and actually builds upon itself favorably. That's why Focus and Restraint more than doubles your damage, 1 x 1.5 x 1.5 = 2.25. Both buffs are 50%, but the second actually adds 75% of your original damage.

• Options
    SneakmanSneakman Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Additive damage goes into the "damage increased by skills (DIBS)" category and is only a part of your total damage calculation. Most of your skill damage increases, party buffs and debuffs go into this category, meaning that additional sources of additive damage suffer diminishing returns. Taeguk fits into this category.

Multiplicative damage take your total damage calculation, including DIBS damage, and then multiplies the result. This always results in more damage, and having more multipliers on gear is the reason we are now critting for trillions of damage instead of millions. Bane of the Trapped is a multiplier which is one of the reasons it used in every single melee build.

Skullgrasp is a great example. In 2.4 it just adds 400% weapon damage to Whirlwind bringing it up to 700% weapon damage, a ~60% increase. In 2.4.1 it will be a true 400% damage increase to whirlwind damage and will make the ring valuable in a whirlwind build for the first time.

Sneakman on
    Diablo 3 | Sneakman#1625 | S9 Multishot Demon Hunter
  • Options
    Yeah sorry, I should have been more clear

Those changes for the most part if not all are buffs

We be grillin' tonight

• Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    Hey guys, I made a season 5 wizard:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Mace1370-1723/hero/74090177

Having not played since seasons were released I'm fairly out of the loop. Can you guys offer suggestions on where I should try and progress this character to next?

• Options
    Mace1370 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I made a season 5 wizard:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Mace1370-1723/hero/74090177

Having not played since seasons were released I'm fairly out of the loop. Can you guys offer suggestions on where I should try and progress this character to next?

Have you done GR20 solo yet to get the last pieces of your set? Assuming this is your first character and you haven't already gotten the 3 haedrig's gifts yet that is

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I cannot beat the wizard set dungeon

I am fail at Diablo

• Options
    edited March 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBWmkONDyv0

It's back @HooverFan

edit - though hm, the video doesn't explain why... wouldn't M6 still be better than S2?

Noggin on
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Noggin wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBWmkONDyv0

It's back @HooverFan

edit - though hm, the video doesn't explain why... wouldn't M6 still be better than S2?

1200% buff with melee weapon from 2 piece shadow

but yeah, they nerfed this synergy with sentries last PTR and it'll happen again I'm sure

HooverFan on
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Oh, so it's because M6 affects only the DH, while Shadows affects DH+sentries?

Didn't they specifically avoid that for 2.4?? So either they forgot or no longer care? :rotate:

Noggin on
  • Options
    Hah, if that ends up being a real thing when the patch drops then I'm in for some fun since I think I have all ancient pieces for that build.

• Options
    So just tested that on the PTR and yeah, so totally broken and that's even with him boning his own build with a couple of choices.

The Visage of Guya is still the more preferable cubed item over a garwulf because the dark heart rune for veng is 50% damage reduction compared to 2 extra wolves which is only 16-18% more.

He also wastes a passive on ambush when with chakram you want the most hatred possible since that gives you the most damage, hence you want the blood veng passive which gives you another 25 hatred on top of the hatred you get from paragon for a max of 175. Of course, I can get away with that since I have a dope hellfire ammy with the steady aim passive *grins*

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Sneakman wrote: »
    Skullgrasp is a great example. In 2.4 it just adds 400% weapon damage to Whirlwind bringing it up to 700% weapon damage, a ~60% increase. In 2.4.1 it will be a true 400% damage increase to whirlwind damage and will make the ring valuable in a whirlwind build for the first time.

Happy news for my ancient one...

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
This discussion has been closed.