As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A very silly thread about how you would survive the zombie apocalypse

1234568»

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    All my pharmacies are located in really populated areas, and far away from where I'd be holing up. Sudafed would be okay, but benadryl makes me super drowsy, which would be a super bad idea most of the time.

Yeah, but there's pharmacies located in the sticks too. Those things would be pretty much untouched versus penicillin and insulin.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Honestly, I don't think the zombie apocalypse would even get a good start, assuming that the bite is what infects people and not some air born virus or something we are already infected with, TWD style. Between the American Gun Nuts, especially in the South and Mid West, the gangs in the cities, and how much movies has "trained" us to deal with zombies, I'd say we'd be able to stop the outbreak before it got too far out of hand. Maybe not in time to keep the government alive and well, but it's time for a change anyhow. #KayneWest2020

If I ever got wind of some people trying to take the horde on with tactics they learned from movies I'd be hauling ass in the other direction, especially if they have guns. That "training" is not only dangerous to themselves but everyone around them, particularly when it comes to wielding weaponry.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    All my pharmacies are located in really populated areas, and far away from where I'd be holing up. Sudafed would be okay, but benadryl makes me super drowsy, which would be a super bad idea most of the time.

Yeah, but there's pharmacies located in the sticks too. Those things would be pretty much untouched versus penicillin and insulin.

Well not anymore, thanks for tipping everyone off...jeez!

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    The government would air drop supplies of penicillin and insulin during a crisis.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

Thered be no Sudafed to be found because tweakers would seize the opportunity to steal it all to make meth.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I never thought I'd be saying this, but in this scenario, the meth-heads are right

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    The government would air drop supplies of penicillin and insulin during a crisis.

They're all mostly zombies now. Zombie pilots aren't a thing in our scenario, right?
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Thered be no Sudafed to be found because tweakers would seize the opportunity to steal it all to make meth.

I'm not a meth expert but my limited knowledge says that it takes more than ground up sudaphed to make effective methamphetamine.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    You'd have to have the meth recipe pretty well memorized, or have it written down somewhere, or be an actual chemist to get it done. And if that's the case, why wouldn't you just head to a university and use their laboratory with all their restricted chemicals to get it done, and if you're gonna do that you may as well go the methylamine route instead of dealing with tons of shitty pseudoephedrine pills.

But regardless: priorities! And getting high wouldn't be high on mine.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

They're all mostly zombies now. Zombie pilots aren't a thing in our scenario, right?
    Buttcleft wrote: »

I'm not a meth expert but my limited knowledge says that it takes more than ground up sudaphed to make effective methamphetamine.

It takes some other stuff too, but Sudafed contains pseudoephedrine:
    %28%2B%29-Pseudoephedrin.svg

Which bears obvious similarities to methamphetamine:
    N-Methylamphetamin.svg

And can be used as a reagent to synthesize it.

Now why you'd do that instead of stealing all the adderall, I dunno.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    http://www.knoe.com/home/headlines/Brain-eating-amoeba-found-in-N-Monroe-water-system-323802271.html?device=phone&c=y

So they apparently found brain eating amoeba.

Let's see how the week goes to see if it will relate greatly to this thread.

Edit: I am living near this city
    They are pretty common in all areas of freshwater (and protozoans in general are EVERYWHERE). They only have a tiny chance of causing disease. It's catastrophic when it happens, of course, but yeah... you are more likely to get flesh-eating bacteria (which are also extremely common) eating you from a cut than you are going to lose your brain to an amoeba. FAR more likely, you are going to get dysentery from amoebas in the water supply. Or even Acanthamoeba keratitis on your eyes (which is extremely rare, and only if you store your contacts in tap water like you aren't supposed to do).

It's also non-communicable between victims in any way, which means that if it causes a zombie outbreak, it's not going to spread, and it's relatively self-contained.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    You'd have to have the meth recipe pretty well memorized, or have it written down somewhere, or be an actual chemist to get it done. And if that's the case, why wouldn't you just head to a university and use their laboratory with all their restricted chemicals to get it done, and if you're gonna do that you may as well go the methylamine route instead of dealing with tons of shitty pseudoephedrine pills.

Most labs aren't going to have restricted chemicals, and even then they aren't gonna be useful generally. At best you can get purer versions of the reagents you already have, but you'd really need pseudoephedrine as a base. The only real reason you'd want to run to a lab, if you didn't have technical knowledge, would be to scavenge for the actual drugs that some labs use. A meth lab (...you know what I mean) or cocaine lab is certainly not going to be needing what they have, although I don't think they'll tend to have very much. You're probably better off raiding the police station.

• Options
    Steal the whole lot and sort it out later after getting back to your fire-moat sound-proof compound.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

Meth heads can make meth in a Gatorade jug with some batteries and a penny.

You don't even want to imagine what they could do with Sudafed.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

Most labs aren't going to have restricted chemicals, and even then they aren't gonna be useful generally. At best you can get purer versions of the reagents you already have, but you'd really need pseudoephedrine as a base. The only real reason you'd want to run to a lab, if you didn't have technical knowledge, would be to scavenge for the actual drugs that some labs use. A meth lab (...you know what I mean) or cocaine lab is certainly not going to be needing what they have, although I don't think they'll tend to have very much. You're probably better off raiding the police station.

I imagine the best assets in those labs would be the equipment; glassware, precision scales (triple beam because lol electricity), etc.

Not that you couldn't make your Jet on a propane burner in a barricaded hotel room, but in this scenario cans of Chef Boyardee are going to be more valuable than wasteland drugs at least for a few years.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Regardless of the equipment the drug-makers get their hands on, it's all going up in flames sooner rather than later. Literally.

• Options
    Steal the whole lot and sort it out later after getting back to your fire-moat sound-proof compound.

You don't want to steal the whole lot :P

If you do and there's an accident it will probably explode and light the water on fire.

That's what'd happen if someone stole all the reagents from my lab and mixed the wrong two, anyway. Or uncapped the one that turns into a bomb when it dries out.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

If you do and there's an accident it will probably explode and light the water on fire.

That's what'd happen if someone stole all the reagents from my lab and mixed the wrong two, anyway. Or uncapped the one that turns into a bomb when it dries out.

"This is the biggest block of sodium I've ever seen! I'm exhausted from carrying it. Hey, neat, an entire cooler full of water. It would sure be refreshing to dump the entire thing all over myself right now! Here goes..."

• Options

Exhibit A on why I'll just take my chances with being a zombie during the zombiepocalypse. Shivahn will find a cure for me. Thanks in advance!

• Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    Dear Diary:

Today I learned how to make Methamphetamine during a Zombie Outbreak on a Comic-Strip Forum.

Seriously, thank you Penny Arcade, you give me the best things to say when someone asks "How was your day?"

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    re: brain eating amoeba, that's apparently indigenous to some but not all natural water bodies in Australia.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I'd see if any of the big mansions in Turtle Creek were abandoned

Huge house, lots of defense, centrally located, nice big lawns for spotting zombies

plus a swimming pool!

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    re: brain eating amoeba, that's apparently indigenous to some but not all natural water bodies in Australia.

I swear I expect Australia to come out of a Zombie apocalypse better than most countries. "Shrug. This whole place was already trying to kill us."

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Rchanen wrote: »

I swear I expect Australia to come out of a Zombie apocalypse better than most countries. "Shrug. This whole place was already trying to kill us."

Australia's got the same environmental aspect that many places do when it comes to zombies. Too hot and dry, they'd desiccate in no time to the point where they wouldn't be mobile anymore.

Like they'd freeze anywhere close to the arctic circle.

Like they'd be crippled anywhere with high terrain differences and craggy ground.

Like how they'd become immobilized in swamps and rot in record time.

In the end there's not all that many areas of the world that are hospitable to zombies. Incidentally though, those are the areas with highest populations too, so basically the apocalypse would be the worst there, whereas people living in the more extreme environments would have a significantly easier time dealing with the zombies. They'd need to put most of the effort in surviving the environment itself, like it's always been. It's both a detriment and a benefit.

• Options
    Would the Amish be fucked on this?

Pros: Know farming, already live off the grid, lots of skill with metalwork and preserving foodstuffs, no need for electricity, own lots of dangerous handtools
    Cons: Wimpy pacifists, might freak out for religious reasons, no experience or skill with guns, typically live in environments where zombies would be okay

• Options
    LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

Pros: Know farming, already live off the grid, lots of skill with metalwork and preserving foodstuffs, no need for electricity, own lots of dangerous handtools
    Cons: Wimpy pacifists, might freak out for religious reasons, no experience or skill with guns, typically live in environments where zombies would be okay

That would make a great tv show.

• Options
    Atomika wrote: »

I imagine zombiepocalypse Amish being basically Abraham Lincoln from Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

Fear the Hatchet.

Fake edit: is this offensive to Amish people? It might be, huh? They don't use the Internet though, right? I feel okay with this post after thinking it out.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Do the Amish have any violence provisions for fighting "demons" or "possessed" as it were?

Because now I'm thinking about Amish with scythes and later zweihanders fighting zombies.

• Options
    Hypothesis:

The Amish would do pretty good for a while, but would be eventually murdered by gangs of marauders after the dust settled.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Well zombies are already dead.

Doing violence to them is like doing violence to a log when chopping firewood.

• Options
    RT800 wrote: »
    Well zombies are already dead.

Doing violence to them is like doing violence to a log when chopping firewood.

Amish philosophy is hardly going to accommodate this viewpoint though

• Options
    I feel like some younger Amish, like the ones who just recently took their rumspringa would maybe be more willing to change their ways in the event of a zombie apocalypse scenario

The old dudes who had been living that way their whole lives, though, they'd be on the plate

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Again, all sorts of brain-eating species of amoebas and protozoans live in freshwater everywhere. They are exceedingly common... it isn't that a single species has a special predilection for brains or anything (the most common one detected is Naeglaria fowleri, but there are other reported cases of different species of amoeba and protozoans causing brain abscesses, meningitis, and death due to brain injury). While the amoebas are common, the brain-eating infection is not (in fact, it is very rare... 0 to 8 cases a year reported in the world), because it requires migration through the cribiform plate or other open wound injuries to the skull, and even then, you have to get through the meninges.

Amoeba in freshwater CAN kill you, don't get me wrong. You'll just die of dysentery.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Again, all sorts of brain-eating species of amoebas and protozoans live in freshwater everywhere. They are exceedingly common... it isn't that a single species has a special predilection for brains or anything. While the amoebas are common, the brain-eating infection is not (in fact, it is very rare), because it requires migration through the cribiform plate or other open wound injuries to the skull, and even then, you have to get through the meninges.

Amoeba in freshwater CAN kill you, don't get me wrong. You'll just die of dysentery.

Suddenly, Oregon Trail flashbacks

• Options
    I feel like some younger Amish, like the ones who just recently took their rumspringa would maybe be more willing to change their ways in the event of a zombie apocalypse scenario

The old dudes who had been living that way their whole lives, though, they'd be on the plate
    Young Amish gangs of ruffians. Death to all zombies. The movie trailer practically writes itself.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    My silly answer:

I'd go around eating Zombies, with any that escaped falling prey to my infectious bite and becoming human.

Also, I'd set up a bunch of treadmill generators so that I could power my house while I awaited the results of my bites causing the human disease to reach critical mass triggering the Human apocalypse.

• Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    Video Clip

I feel like this is the video equivalent of "Relavent XKCD."

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I never thought I'd be saying this, but in this scenario, the meth-heads are right
    This went right (hah) over my head.
    Right about what?

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Does being a dick somewhat fall under #1?

Like, can I put on a big ass helmet and neckguard, and like strap that on super tight, and go get myself bitten , and become a Endgame Boss?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I think people get carried away with action-heroing in regards to zamboes. You probably don't need jeet kune do or motorised switchaxes. How about a snowshovel or a rake, that you can push against their chests without being reached? Or a plain lever without angles to grab?