Options

Just Cause 3: Out now!

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Finally installed this game and tried to run it

Wow wow wow is it bad

It hitches so much and so hard and so frequently, from half a second to sometimes more than one, even during cutscenes, that it is essentially unplayable

We're talking about a game that requires a lot of fine input and prompt reactions, but even if this were something like Fallout, this would unacceptable to me

I don't know if anyone else is having these issues but it's real bad for me. I didn't even get through the introductory mission before quitting

I guess I'll wait for a patch or two!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    @Olivaw Platform? Latest drivers? AMD card?

PC, far as I know, and Nvidia

I was shocked to find it running so poorly when Just Cause 2 and Mad Max both looked and ran like a dream

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    What if you turn off the online networking stuff? There was some speculation on this week's Bombcast that some of the jank might be related to how Sqeenix's servers are performing.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    What if you turn off the online networking stuff? There was some speculation on this week's Bombcast that some of the jank might be related to how Sqeenix's servers are performing.

No idea

I did find some new drivers (GeForce Experience itself needed updating) and then I tried to boot the game up again

This time I tried to skip the opening cutscene to get to the gameplay, see if it ran any better

The game froze, the audio started skipping, and then the rest of the audio of the opening cutscene continued to play in the background

Yep

I'm done with Just Cause 3 for now!

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    @Olivaw Platform? Latest drivers? AMD card?
    PC, far as I know, and Nvidia

I was shocked to find it running so poorly when Just Cause 2 and Mad Max both looked and ran like a dream
    CPU/RAM/Video card?

I'm running an i5 2500K / 8gb / 770, and had to turn most shit down to Low to get a solid 60fps. I've settled for a solid 30 and a mix of high/low settings.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I wonder what they did that caused performance to fall through the floor. JC2 ran fantastic on my old GTX 260, which is a bloody ancient card.

Orca on
  • Options
    Orca wrote: »
    I wonder what they did that caused performance to fall through the floor. JC2 ran fantastic on my old GTX 260, which is a bloody ancient card.
    There is a shocking amount of high end visual effects stuff going on, especially with the water.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I just wish this work day would end... I have a powerful need to grapple onto helicopters and plant sticky bombs on them. And then lose all my cool points because I suck at using the wing suit and face plant into the ground...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    If I grapple while parachuting or flying, is there a button to hit to detach after I have gained the momentum I wanted? or do I just have to 'get good' at grappling good spots to use for momentum without ramming into something?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    If I grapple while parachuting or flying, is there a button to hit to detach after I have gained the momentum I wanted? or do I just have to 'get good' at grappling good spots to use for momentum without ramming into something?

I think it's the O button on PS4. So like, B on an XBox pad. Not sure about KBAM =/

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

I think it's the O button on PS4. So like, B on an XBox pad. Not sure about KBAM =/

It's Ctrl on KBAM

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Anybody else having the game crash once you get past that first road block?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    Hmm...just grabbed this and got it downloaded and it won't launch. No errors, just the steam "Launching..." popup, a bit of HDD activity, then nothing. I'm verifying cache integrity now to see if there's an issue there. Anyone else see similar issues?

steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Kendrik wrote: »
    Hmm...just grabbed this and got it downloaded and it won't launch. No errors, just the steam "Launching..." popup, a bit of HDD activity, then nothing. I'm verifying cache integrity now to see if there's an issue there. Anyone else see similar issues?

My issue was it was not downloading that last mb or something. Had to do a redownload. Before you go that far though, try restarting Steam and then the pc.

• Options
    KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Kendrik wrote: »

My issue was it was not downloading that last mb or something. Had to do a redownload. Before you go that far though, try restarting Steam and then the pc.

I re-started Steam with no success, and the validation found 1 file but it still didn't work. What DID work (found the suggestion on the Steam Forums) was to run the game as administrator. Thanks!

steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Fuck me I love the flying in this game so much.

I grabbed a couple of good flights from yesterdays play and stuck them up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1Zh9rrCQSw&feature=youtu.be

Just cause 3: Touching the ground is mostly optional.

I really like the second one.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I've grapple wingsuited my face into the ground so many times.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Watch that video to see why this does not happen to me. I demonstrate a few techniques.
    the trick is your parachute: even if you face plant start into a rock with the parachute out, you wont impact. It lets you slide past obstructions. Tap the parachute button when you are about to hit the ground or an obstacle, then switch back to wingsuit. Done fast enough you wont lose much, if any, speed.
    You can also grapple with wingsuit and then parachute to get an immediate substantial height boost even if you are moving slowly. The wingsuit grapple boosts the parachute height and you don't need to have done more than pressed the grapple button: its basically instant.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Tried booting up the game one last time and actually sitting through the cutscenes worked out this time, though I think the game actually skips a cutscene early on automatically

Further, the game still runs shocking poorly, at least in comparison to both other Avalanche games and other graphically intensive titles. I'm running a GTX 960 and an i5-4460 and the game struggles to run hitch-free at anything above thirty frames per second with everything turned on (but not at maximum)

Turning off things like motion blur and SSAO and lowing the antistropic filtering or whatever that's called, as well as turning off v-sync certainly helped. But now I've got screen-tearing out the ass and the game still struggles when lots of things are happening, as well as hitching fairly regularly (though not nearly as often or as strong as it was before)

So, yeah

This is why you shouldn't preorder games kids!

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Yo @Olivaw I had the same problem dude. Turn everything to minimum, then use NVidia's guide to bump stuff up until you're happy with the IQ/performance. Frankly it still looks great at the lower ranges. You should be able to crank Anisotropic to 16x, AA to SMAA, Shadow Quality to Very High, and Texture Quality to High (or maybe Very High with a 960, how much VRAM?). Unfortunately, our cards are below the Recommended Spec (boo).

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    @Morninglord are you running on PS4? Because that framerate doesn't look bad at all.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    PC

• Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular

So I just realized what the flying in this game reminds me of.

It reminds me of when I'm dreaming and I have to pull myself along the floor/ground to get up to speed to take off. I never do the Superman/Neo jump to instant. It's always me dragging myself off the ground.

...This doesn't make the wait for a patch before I buy any easier.

steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Oh also you have to pull down on the stick when grappling with the wingsuit or you will face plant. Just like the parachute. Point the grapple way ahead of you, like you are trying to crawl across the ground and need to stretch your arms as far forwards as you can. Right on the edge of the grapples distance, grab and pull Rico forwards while holding down on the stick to keep from faceplanting. Only ever grapple straight down if you are fairly high up and can recover your air by pulling down on the stick. Generally speaking though if you are high enough there's no need to grapple straight down.
    This means the best way to wingsuit is to be close to the ground, so you get the right angle.

When going past tall buildings and the edges of cliffs and you need some speed, grapple right on the edge of them and arc away from them while also pulling up. Basically treat him like a plane and try to move him away from your grapple point as you grapple.

If you screw up just open your parachute and start again.

I also just found out just now that you can hold down then keep swapping between wingsuit and parachute to climb indefinitely.
    It lets you travel over large amounts of water even if you have no speed or grapple points. When you get high enough, just let the wingsuit continue for a while to build up some forward momentum, then start climbing again.

One more thing, you can get the air brake once you beat the starting islands wingsuit courses. This lets you basically hover to a stop mid air. Then you can open your parachute and land precisely. The next wingsuit upgrade lets you just hold the air brake to put it away, but until you get that you can use this to open the parachute to land without completely overshooting your mark.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    @Morninglord that was incredible. I knew people would do incredible things with the flight, but wow.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Marikir wrote: »

So I just realized what the flying in this game reminds me of.

It reminds me of when I'm dreaming and I have to pull myself along the floor/ground to get up to speed to take off. I never do the Superman/Neo jump to instant. It's always me dragging myself off the ground.

...This doesn't make the wait for a patch before I buy any easier.

I have been dreaming about flying in this game at night. It's so beautiful and peaceful. And then I make things explode and I'm off.

Like you say, its literally like having a dream where you are flying.

I get lost in it and end up just flying miles away from where I intended to go, just lost in the glory of it.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    Is it just me, or are a lot of the destruction challenges not very doable/fun with the weapon they provide you? Just got a sniper challenge that talks about a delivery of explosive barrels to help blow things up, but when the challenge starts there's a couple of barrels near some transformers and that's it. I'm left trying to blow up giant tanks and towers with a sniper rifle, and constantly losing my modifier bonus. Same thing with a machine gun challenge I had earlier. Fortunately a missile helicopter was nearby for that one.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Huh, I just got notification that this game was on sale, since it was on my wish list. But when I check steam there is no sale.

• Options
    Metallikat wrote: »
    Is it just me, or are a lot of the destruction challenges not very doable/fun with the weapon they provide you? Just got a sniper challenge that talks about a delivery of explosive barrels to help blow things up, but when the challenge starts there's a couple of barrels near some transformers and that's it. I'm left trying to blow up giant tanks and towers with a sniper rifle, and constantly losing my modifier bonus. Same thing with a machine gun challenge I had earlier. Fortunately a missile helicopter was nearby for that one.

You are probably supposed to tether the barrels to the vehicles.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Wish it ran better so more of us can stream. That was awesome morning.

• Options
    I'm thinking of setting up my shitty 480p stream. You don't need fine detail to just watch someone fly around. :P

• Options

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    I'm waiting until I get my copy to come back here at catch up. I've learned that apparently Newegg is terrible for pre-orders. I ordered last week, charge didn't even get completed until yesterday? So not even kind of showing up release day, not even shipped on release day. I AM DISAPPOINT.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    Yo @Olivaw I had the same problem dude. Turn everything to minimum, then use NVidia's guide to bump stuff up until you're happy with the IQ/performance. Frankly it still looks great at the lower ranges. You should be able to crank Anisotropic to 16x, AA to SMAA, Shadow Quality to Very High, and Texture Quality to High (or maybe Very High with a 960, how much VRAM?). Unfortunately, our cards are below the Recommended Spec (boo).

Thanks, j

I did my best, and performance when there aren't explosions certainly improved, though it still hitches like mad when anything is happening, especially when I'm moving the camera around

Which, y'know, considering what this game is about, is a problem

And I'm starting to think that, yeah, a lot of these hitches have to be server calls or something, because it happens a lot when I do anything, and the game tracks a lot of dumb leaderboard stats

I dunno

I'd be having so much fun if this ran like Just Cause 2

Maybe someday it will!

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I wasn't sure why you would ever use cars other than when you absolutely have to, since the wingsuit is so great.

Then I found the Verdeleon 3. It is super fast and driving it is fun. I'll be using it over the wingsuit when going long distances. At least some of the time.

Where to find it:
    5D25B31D6F979BA5FF6509A7C983B9643BA6CC64

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

Thanks, j

I did my best, and performance when there aren't explosions certainly improved, though it still hitches like mad when anything is happening, especially when I'm moving the camera around

Which, y'know, considering what this game is about, is a problem

And I'm starting to think that, yeah, a lot of these hitches have to be server calls or something, because it happens a lot when I do anything, and the game tracks a lot of dumb leaderboard stats

I dunno

I'd be having so much fun if this ran like Just Cause 2

Maybe someday it will!

It sounds like you are done messing with it, but you can start steam in offline mode to get rid of the online leaderboard stuff.

• Options
    I actually take back what I said, I'm still getting hitches that last upwards of one second and I don't know how they could possibly be server calls

Jesus

Yeah, I think I am done messing with this for now

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I'm getting hitches, but it's infrequent enough that it's still playable.

What really confuses me is that it also hitches in the menus. And after challenges when popping up the ability previews it freezes for several seconds every single time.

For something about the game itself: I found out that you can fast travel to the centcoms without having been to it, so I went and liberated the last one as the first thing I did in that region. It also turns out that if you liberate a centcom without disabling the defenses, the defenses will remain active and try to kill you in your own base.