As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Superhero] fun train has no brakes!

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Kimberly is actually a pretty great character in that she is stereotypically femenine but not defined by her femeninity, or by relationships, and is not portrayed as weaker because she is a girl

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    kat > kimberly

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    kat > kimberly

nope

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Also Amy Jo Johnson was probably the best actor out of the original five on the rare occasion the script gave her the opportunity.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    I know I keep posting this but Ms Marvel is so good. Here's a line from #12...
    Friendship is not a zone, you idiot! Friendship is something real and good and anybody who doesn't understand that needs a dictionary.

• Options
    Friendship is not a zone, you idiot! Friendship is something real and good and anybody who doesn't understand that needs a dictionary.

I wish there was a friend zone. Bored? Need a friend? Head on down to the Friend Zone and hang out.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

I wish there was a friend zone. Bored? Need a friend? Head on down to the Friend Zone and hang out.

It's called UltraZone and it has laser tag

• Options
    Keith wrote: »

It's called UltraZone and it has laser tag

Yeah alright!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    That casting reminds me of the time 4chan's /m/echa board pooled money to send someone in to audition for Power Rangers Samurai.

He got in to the last rounds, but didn't make it. He said the people running it couldn't agree with each other, as the script was basically a straight translation of an early Shinkenger episode, so he played his character the same way he was in the sentai, and only one 'judge' person knew the material and thought it was great. The others all thought he sounded horrible and wanted him to play the character the exact opposite. I believe it was the 'punk/rebel' type and they wanted him to be polite and respectful, even though he had all the same sarcastic lines from the original.

Sounds like ShinkenGreen, who wasn't so much a rebel as just lazy and ignored his samurai training, so he didn't care about the samurai/master relationship.

PR Samurai was kinda crap in general really, which is a shame because Shinkenger was amazing

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    I don't think samurai is great but its better than it gets credit for

mostly cause mega force is so bad

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Do the villains in Power Rangers actually do anything other than create loud disturbances and do property damage? I mean, especially compared to Super Sentai that they take footage from where civilians actually get killed.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    I mean sometimes they try and kidnap people, but you rarely see if it's successful. The original series got around it by having Rita be utterly obsessed with the team, to the point where her entire scheme to take over the world basically summed up to "Ruin their day".

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Do the villains in Power Rangers actually do anything other than create loud disturbances and do property damage? I mean, especially compared to Super Sentai that they take footage from where civilians actually get killed.

I think Venjix managed to murder the overwhelming majority of humanity.

So, that was good for him. Good hustle.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Gotta respect that hard work

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    I actually don't recall the last time a civilian died on-screen in Super Sentai. They've mentioned people passing away, and sometimes folks who've been affected by the monster attacks, but any deaths are still mostly revolving around the Rangers and villains themselves.

Now Kamen Rider, that's where you're more likely to see a civilian get killed, comparatively. Doesn't happen that often but still much more possible than Super Sentai.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

I think Venjix managed to murder the overwhelming majority of humanity.

So, that was good for him. Good hustle.

That and turn most of the world (presumably) into a post-apocalyptic wasteland. No half-measures with that guy.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Gatsby wrote: »
    I actually don't recall the last time a civilian died on-screen in Super Sentai. They've mentioned people passing away, and sometimes folks who've been affected by the monster attacks, but any deaths are still mostly revolving around the Rangers and villains themselves.

Now Kamen Rider, that's where you're more likely to see a civilian get killed, comparatively. Doesn't happen that often but still much more possible than Super Sentai.

I remember one episode of OOO where the monster just mows down a huge crowd of fleeing people, turning them to dust. Hardcore.

Almost every episode of Kabuto is about body snatcher serial killers. Faiz has tons of murders, and half the cast dying in the first few episodes to come back as zombies.

I believe the super final special attack of someone in Kiva and/or Kuuga is actually described in series as an extinction level incident. On the other end of the scale, Kuuga also features some of the most brutal and inappropriate beatdowns. Like one monster of the week who does something especially bad, so the hero just beats it to death...no special effects, no explosion, he just slowly, brutally punches its head into the pavement, monster blood and gore going everywhere. Sunday morning kids show!

And apparently Ghost dies in or before the first episode. Because he's a ghost!

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    It's kinda not fair to compare Kamen Rider to Super Sentai/Power Rangers.

Because Kamen Rider is better without question.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    The post Decade era of kamen rider is way less into death

Still W opens up with a guy getting murdered by a weird witch lady

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    First few minutes of Drive was pretty bad for humans. The show kicks off with the Global Freeze, an event where roundabout 108 androids use the special ability to slow time to a crawl to anyone effected except mentally.

i2beP8W.jpg

Which meant people were essentially frozen but could still think in normal time, watching as metal men marched through the streets towards them, blasting everything and everyone while they were helpless to get away.

PJgyPno.jpg

While it wasn't as widespread as the name indicates, they still got pretty far in one night.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    s3vp907a9kf5.jpg

God dammit that is such a good costume

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Good tagline too; though I'd rather read a 2099 book that actually takes place in 2099, personally.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that mask is better.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    s3vp907a9kf5.jpg

God dammit that is such a good costume

I just finished vol 1 of the 2014 Spidey 2099
    And eagerly await buying vol 2 on Friday

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Good tagline too; though I'd rather read a 2099 book that actually takes place in 2099, personally.

Does it not?
    Isn't Captain America 2099 supposed to be in it?

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    I haven't heard them all, but the original is pretty much perfect imo. I really liked In Space's theme too--that one gets stuck in my head pretty often.

In Space and the original are my two go to themes. I also liked the instrumental section to Lost Galaxy as well.

Since posting this the In Space theme has been on a loop in my brain. It's good, but after 10 minutes I think I'm going a tiny bit insane. Send help.

This is a bit late, catching up on the thread but...

My three themes are MMPR, Time Force, and In Space.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    It's kinda not fair to compare Kamen Rider to Super Sentai/Power Rangers.

Because Kamen Rider is better without question.

Nah

there are good and bad seasons of both

• Options

Also yes, there is a full scale alien invasion in In Space

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    kat > kimberly

nope

Actually yes, though

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Old sentai is better than old kamen rider imo but I like newer kamen rider more than new sentai so far

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Does it not?

I mean, I don't know how else to interpret "fighting crime before his time"

I can only come up with 'hero displaced to past', which pretty much prevents it from taking place in 2099.

• Options
    Also Adam/Rocky/Aisha > Zack/Jason/Trini

Also White Ranger > Green Ranger

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »

Does it not?

I can only come up with 'hero displaced to past', which pretty much prevents it from taking place in 2099.

The cover does make it looked like it's 2099, though.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Does it not?

Yeah, I was considering that.

isn't it a time-honored tradition for covers to not reflect actual book content? I feel like that's a thing.

edit: maybe it's like 2090?

Tamin on
  • Options
    Also Adam/Rocky/Aisha > Zack/Jason/Trini

Also White Ranger > Green Ranger

you are no longer welcome on the podcast

also I'm gonna punch you

punch punch punch

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    I feel like Superman was more or less deconstructed within the Marvel universe.

There's legitimate, clearly identifiable strands of him in a lot of other characters.

Captain America stands out to me, as does Thor to a lesser degree.

But then yeah Sentry, Hyperion, and others have different portions of the character.

Which now makes me want a "Supermen" title that's, like, a team of heroes who collectively have roughly the same powers and personality as Clark, but divided up in chunks.

Yeah you could have an alien cyborg with partial amnesia, a teenager with tactile telekinesis, and an energy being who creates a Superman-like body for himself.

I remember reading a Legends of Dead Earth comic where there was a team of heroes that each possessed a single power of superman.

But after they finish saving the day you find out they are basically helpless, the guy who can fly has to be tied down or moved around by people or he would fly away, the super strong invulnerable guy has to be lead around like and fed because he would crush the spoon he tries to use to feed him self, ect ect.

They were all lead by Supermans AI Conciseness.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Honestly I just think the back half of MMPR is flat-out better. The first season is by far the weakest and the third is the strongest IMO. The more it goes on the better it gets. And Zeo keeps it up.

So really, if I like the second-gen cast better, it's probably more because the show as a whole is better.

Probably plays a big part into why I'm not into all the replacements that came in during the second half of Turbo, cause the show itself sucked. I went on to like those four once they moved on to In Space, because again: better show.

I also feel that Rocky and Aisha in particular brought more energy to the show than Jason and Trini's actors did. Zack to Adam is a fairly lateral movement.

I actually think Kim and Kat are both pretty great, and agree that AJJ was the best actor of the original crew. I just think Kat gets a bad rap and deserves more love.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Does it not?

Yeah, I was considering that.

isn't it a time-honored tradition for covers to not reflect actual book content? I feel like that's a
    thing.

aech3pmt6evn.jpg

• Options
    Honestly I just think the back half of MMPR is flat-out better. The first season is by far the weakest and the third is the strongest IMO. The more it goes on the better it gets. And Zeo keeps it up.

So really, if I like the second-gen cast better, it's probably more because the show as a whole is better.

Probably plays a big part into why I'm not into all the replacements that came in during the second half of Turbo, cause the show itself sucked. I went on to like those four once they moved on to In Space, because again: better show.

I also feel that Rocky and Aisha in particular brought more energy to the show than Jason and Trini's actors did. Zack to Adam is a fairly lateral movement.

I actually think Kim and Kat are both pretty great, and agree that AJJ was the best actor of the original crew. I just think Kat gets a bad rap and deserves more love.

It probably is because she replaced the best actress

I love the hell out of jason though

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    where's my chuck dixon robin omnibus, america

6vjsgrerts6r.png

This discussion has been closed.