As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

yo, what's your favourite [movie] (thread)

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Probably the writing, but I barely remember the show. I'd imagine it's up for streaming somewhere if you want to check it out.

sig.gif
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Naomi Scott, who was Maddy Shannon on Terra Nova and Ryoko in The Martian, has been officially cast as Kimberly Ann Hart, the Pink Ranger, in the upcoming Power Rangers film.

I haven't seen either of those things. SOMEONE TELL ME HOW I SHOULD FEEL

One quick positive though, she's been inundated with very nice comments on twitter, so far a minimum of shitty nerds yelling at her, so thats nice!

Can we get her to film a scene where she acts "punk"? I feel like that's the only fair way to judge.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Naomi Scott, who was Maddy Shannon on Terra Nova and Ryoko in The Martian, has been officially cast as Kimberly Ann Hart, the Pink Ranger, in the upcoming Power Rangers film.

One quick positive though, she's been inundated with very nice comments on twitter, so far a minimum of shitty nerds yelling at her, so thats nice!

Can we get her to film a scene where she acts "punk"? I feel like that's the only fair way to judge.

you mean get het to sit on some stone steps and smoke a cheap cigarette?

shouldn't be too hard

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    The true test will be if she can impersonate Rita well enough for Goldar to realize he made a very large mistake.

Though I thought I'd heard something about Saban wanting the movie to somehow fit into the show's continuity? If she's Kimberly, doesn't that mean they're just doing their own thing? Or is it supposed to just be some MMPR story we never saw with different actors playing the original team?

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

shouldn't be too hard

For the unfamiliar, I want to know if she can pull off this look:

Punks.jpg

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Who was she in the Martian (beyond being named Ryoko)? I don't remember her at all.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Who was she in the Martian (beyond being named Ryoko)? I don't remember her at all.

I haven't seen it, no idea

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

shouldn't be too hard

Punks.jpg

man I can't see pictures of the power rangers without thinking of how shitty they treated the guy that played the blue ranger for being gay.

poor fellow. :cry:

• Options

shouldn't be too hard

Punks.jpg

man I can't see pictures of the power rangers without thinking of how shitty they treated the guy that played the blue ranger for being gay.

For the record, from everything he's said, it was some of the crew on the show, not the other actors. Still crappy, but it's good to know I don't have to feel conflicted about liking the other main actors.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Yeah, as far as I know he's still on good terms with the other actors. I remember seeing photos of him having dinner with Jason David Frank (Tommy) and Walter Jones (Zack) in the last year or so.

Plus there was an instagram video of him and JDF goofing off in a mall where one of them was in a shopping cart and the other was pushing them around.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Also didn't the blue ranger go to prison for kidnapping and murder?

One of the blue rangers anyway

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Also didn't the blue ranger go to prison for kidnapping and murder?

One of the blue rangers anyway

Not David Yost the original.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

shouldn't be too hard

Punks.jpg

I cannot see that picture and remember how tiny they all were and the legion of people there to see AJJ. It was literally someone had rolled a rock free from a cave or some type of signal was shown as it was a legion of basement dwellers

• Options

shouldn't be too hard

Punks.jpg

I know theres much more serious discussion going on but LOOK AT ZACKS PANTS

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

shouldn't be too hard

Punks.jpg

I know theres much more serious discussion going on but LOOK AT ZACKS PANTS

Cross Colors game is strong.

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Why do people like Power rangers? Is everyone being sarcastic? Because I fail to see any sort of apeal.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    Why do people like Power rangers? Is everyone being sarcastic? Because I fail to see any sort of apeal.

Its fun to watch it

• Options

I was seven when it came out. How does a seven year old not like monsters, karate, and robots?

• Options
    Because I fail to see any sort of apeal.

It's not actually required that you do.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Even leaving out the age when I watched it originally, anything with giant monsters destroying cities and/or fighting giant robots will always appeal to me to some extent.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I watched Power Rangers as a kid when it first came on and was totally into it

and then after a season or two I still watched it but kind of secretly because I felt like I was getting too old to like it

and then I actually stopped watching it

and now I dig it again* and am looking forward to how a new movie turns out.

*although I still haven't really watched any of the various series in foreverever

kaceyp on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I liked Power Rangers a lot as a kid but I never liked the part where they got in their robots and fought the big monsters, that's where I tuned out (much like I do to that kind of stuff now)

I'm really surprised it's lasted this long

• Options
    I liked Power Rangers a lot as a kid but I never liked the part where they got in their robots and fought the big monsters, that's where I tuned out (much like I do to that kind of stuff now)

I'm really surprised it's lasted this long

It's incredibly cheap to make and the central conceit is pretty universally appealing to children. Also it's got really strong merchandising appeal. Lots of compelling reasons to keep it around.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Going to see Sicario tomorrow

Despite multiple discussions over the past few days, my friend and I still have no idea how to pronounce the title when we buy our tickets.

• Options
    If you want a little more explanation for why an adult would watch it

I love superheroes, and avengers and stuff is great. But power rangers focuses on friendship and comraderie in a way I find really sweet and appealing, and that doesn't really happen as much with marvel or dc

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Going to see Sicario tomorrow

Despite multiple discussions over the past few days, my friend and I still have no idea how to pronounce the title when we buy our tickets.

Sick-ah-reeoh

• Options
    If you want a little more explanation for why an adult would watch it

I love superheroes, and avengers and stuff is great. But power rangers focuses on friendship and comraderie in a way I find really sweet and appealing, and that doesn't really happen as much with marvel or dc

Also so much of it is absurd and nonsensical in a way that I find genuinely charming. Like, I get a lot of unironic enjoyment out of watching something in utter bafflement, then having a dumb conversation with other people trying to explain it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Talking about misleading marketing for a del Toro movie.

I still remember how Pan's Labyrinth was promoted as a family fantasy movie. Made for some interesting reactions from some of the people we went with to see it.

I was working at Hollywood Video when that movie came out, and my manager almost put it in the kid's section. Thankfully I got to watch it prestreet and was like, "Hey probably not put that there." The same thing happened with The Golden Compass, and I completely regret watching that movie at all.

• Options
    I like the bear fight in golden compass

That's it tho

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »
    Talking about misleading marketing for a del Toro movie.

I still remember how Pan's Labyrinth was promoted as a family fantasy movie. Made for some interesting reactions from some of the people we went with to see it.

I was working at Hollywood Video when that movie came out, and my manager almost put it in the kid's section. Thankfully I got to watch it prestreet and was like, "Hey probably not put that there." The same thing happened with The Golden Compass, and I completely regret watching that movie at all.

You saved some kids from having a phobia of glass bottles

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options

I imagine it varies from person to person. Some probably enjoy all the fights/giant robots/laser battles/guitars/etc. Some probably enjoy the ridiculousness of the Ninja Turtles team-up or that time one of the Rangers kicked a T-Rex in the face (while unmorphed).

Others might enjoy how it was one of the earliest kids shows in America to have actual continuity between episodes (even the DCAU was just standalone episodes or occasional two-parter back then), where characters were changing and new enemies were showing up. Even when they switched to having a new cast every season, they started doing large-scale team-ups to remind you that it was all connected. Granted, a large reason for the continuity was because they were having to adapt footage from Japanese series that each only lasted one season, and so when they exhausted that season's footage they had to either shoot their own stuff or find a way to get the show to move on to the next set of suits and robots.

Speaking of which, others may enjoy seeing how they manage to reframe a bunch of Japanese footage into a different story with different actors (though I hear later seasons don't really change the story much anymore). Such as the time they took one of the most goofy and light-hearted Sentai series and managed to turn it into a post-apocalyptic story about the last surviving human city on the planet (though fortunately not grim-dark, it was still lighter and more positive then drek like Man of Steel).

Or some people just like Bulk & Skull.

Also Brian Cranston was (technically) in a few episodes. And the star of iZombie was a Power Ranger in that post-apocalyptic season.

• Options
    Lars wrote: »

I imagine it varies from person to person. Some probably enjoy all the fights/giant robots/laser battles/guitars/etc. Some probably enjoy the ridiculousness of the Ninja Turtles team-up or that time one of the Rangers kicked a T-Rex in the face (while unmorphed).

Others might enjoy how it was one of the earliest kids shows in America to have actual continuity between episodes (even the DCAU was just standalone episodes or occasional two-parter back then), where characters were changing and new enemies were showing up. Even when they switched to having a new cast every season, they started doing large-scale team-ups to remind you that it was all connected. Granted, a large reason for the continuity was because they were having to adapt footage from Japanese series that each only lasted one season, and so when they exhausted that season's footage they had to either shoot their own stuff or find a way to get the show to move on to the next set of suits and robots.

Speaking of which, others may enjoy seeing how they manage to reframe a bunch of Japanese footage into a different story with different actors (though I hear later seasons don't really change the story much anymore). Such as the time they took one of the most goofy and light-hearted Sentai series and managed to turn it into a post-apocalyptic story about the last surviving human city on the planet (though fortunately not grim-dark, it was still lighter and more positive then drek like Man of Steel).

Also Brian Cranston was (technically) in a few episodes. And the star of iZombie was a Power Ranger in that post-apocalyptic season.

Wait what

I didn

HOLY SHIT SHES THE YELLOW RPM RANGER

• Options
    edited October 2015
    I still find it downright bizarre that the Sentai series basically gift-wrapped Saban the ability to make a sequel to RPM with Go-Busters (which was also the Sentai series to contain the most references to American material) which would have easily allowed them to follow up on the sequel-tease at the end of RPM and...Saban decided to skip that entire series and adapt the one after it instead.

Granted, doing a sequel series several years later would be a little odd, but it'd also give a good excuse to have Dr. K recruit new rangers since the original team is off doing their own thing now.

Heck, even the Ranger colors would have matched (Red/Blue/Yellow as the main three, a Gold/Silver duo, plus there is footage for Green and Black Rangers if they wanted to use that as well) so these could be the latest iteration of her ranger project or whatever.

Lars on
  • Options
    I still find it downright bizarre that the Sentai series basically gift-wrapped Saban the ability to make a sequel to RPM with Go-Busters (which was also the Sentai series to contain the most references to American material) which would have easily allowed them to follow up on the sequel-tease at the end of RPM and...Saban decided to skip that entire series and adapt the one after it instead.

Granted, doing a sequel series several years later would be a little odd, but it'd also give a good excuse to have Dr. K recruit new rangers since the original team is off doing their own thing now.

Heck, even the Ranger colors would have matched (Red/Blue/Yellow as the main three, a Gold/Silver duo, plus there is footage for Green and Black Rangers if they wanted to use that as well) so these could be the latest iteration of her ranger project or whatever.

There are a couple reasons: Most people from RPM weren't interested in reprising their roles, and Dr. K in particular is a successful stage actress.

Go Busters was not popular in Japan, and they were worried that if it wasn't directly connected to RPM it would just be seen as a retread here

I wish they had done it, but I understand why they didn't

plus, Go Busters is great on its own, so its fine

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

Edit...nope

Cabezone on
  • Options

Wait is this Power Rangers or Pokemon?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    There are a couple reasons: Most people from RPM weren't interested in reprising their roles, and Dr. K in particular is a successful stage actress.

Go Busters was not popular in Japan, and they were worried that if it wasn't directly connected to RPM it would just be seen as a retread here

I wish they had done it, but I understand why they didn't

plus, Go Busters is great on its own, so its fine

I know the actor that played Scott is in the SAG now and probably not available, and of course the actress that played Summer is busy, but really, Dr. K is the only one they would have needed to get back in order to do a proper sequel. Even then, they could have technically gotten away with not having her there full time if needed (though you'd probably need Ziggy or a more mature versions of Gem & Gemma there fulltime if she wasn't going to be). If she didn't want to return at all (which is her choice) I can see it being a bit more difficult to do though.

Additionally, if they had done RPM 2, then that would push back Dino-Charge (+Super version) to airing around when the movie is going to be released, which would at least both be dinosaur-themed (assuming the movie is using versions of the original MMPR zords).

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Even leaving out the age when I watched it originally, anything with giant monsters destroying cities and/or fighting giant robots will always appeal to me to some extent.

Yup.

I cannot overstate how much I love robots and vehicles that combine into larger robots and vehicles.

It's quite possibly my most favorite thing in the world.

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular

Wait what

I didn

HOLY SHIT SHES THE YELLOW RPM RANGER

Red ranger was a regular guest star in first season of The Originals.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    JayKaos wrote: »

Yup.

I cannot overstate how much I love robots and vehicles that combine into larger robots and vehicles.

It's quite possibly my most favorite thing in the world.

Also robots that turn into different robots.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

This discussion has been closed.