As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hesher] (We Are) The Road Crew

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Feels like it was 4-5 years ago I listened to Johnny Truant the last time... They're still awesome! ^^
    https://youtu.be/mKCbjTXn2KM

• Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    so insomnium's next track is apparently going to be forty minutes long. fuck. that's not super surprising given the roots of their sound, but it's damn ambitious, ain't it? because i am a lazy son of a bitch, here is my response to this news once again culled from the encyclopaedia metallum forums. i apparently think that 1) my opinions are worth stating twice and 2) the metal-archives discussion boards are somehow worth linking to. i could not possibly be more incorrect. p.s. i kind of like the forums over there sometimes and i'm only occasionally deprecating when it comes to my own viewpoints. i fully understand the worth of various websites, or else i wouldn't have autothrall's fucking fantastic blog in my bookmarks bar, and i joke about my own random, babbling streams of thought in order to hide what is, in actuality, an absolutely staggering ego matched only by unicron's sense of megalomania.
    I know I'm just a jackass, because my first response to this was, "Well, haven't they been writing the same song for years already so how is this somehow going to be different?"

That said, I'm going to give this a shot because I still love Insomnium and I am dead honest when I say that I listen to The Day It All Came Down in its entirety at least once every couple of days. I still crank a whole bunch of their tracks on a regular basis, too. "When the Last Wave Broke" still has an intro that gives me the completely irrational urge to bang my head no matter where I'm at, be it at home by myself or standing in line at the fucking bank.

Maybe I've just somehow gotten so curmudgeonly when it comes to metal that I've somehow looped completely around and wound up in an opposite mindset that's entirely too easy to please, but to hell with it. Bring on the funeral doom-length tracks that can contain an entire power nap within their duration. If I wind up not liking it, the Earth's core isn't going to randomly behave like a dying star and become a red giant that obliterates life as we know it. I might complain, because I've been known to do that from time to time, but I think everything will be okay in the end.

Unless the red giant thing actually happens. In which case, well, here's my last statement: I always had a crush on Harley Quinn, Slayer kind of bores me, and I am super depressed that The Prophecy was so terrible after it's third film. One might argue that it sucked after the first sequel, or indeed that it was never good, but I'm willing to give it some leeway since the forth and fifth installments were so bad and at least the third movie still had Christopher Walken. Also, fuck whoever is responsible for the Legacy of Kain never getting a proper continuation. If that is your fault, please look into the mirror and realize something: You are why the video game industry can be a complete shitfest.

have a good day or evening, whatever it is, you unhallowed fucking bastards.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Nick Menza, former drummer for Megadeath, has died. Apparently he had a heart attack while performing with his band onstage.

• Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Nick Menza, former drummer for Megadeath, has died. Apparently he had a heart attack while performing with his band onstage.

Aw man that's awful. :(

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    There goes all hope for that Megadeth reunion.

sucks :cry:

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    I too wasn't thrilled with Jomsviking the album either, but man the tour was fucking awesome!! I love Be'lakor and Insomnium and can't for new stuff from them. 40 minute single song concept album sounds... I dunno.. but my love for Insomnium will keep me interested.

• Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    Will all depend if it's a great 40 minutes or just the same stuff they've been rehashing for a couple albums now.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Pretty niche, but still sort of interesting. Portland noise docu:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGrN6PeIiOU

Panda4You on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    So, new Katatonia - I think I like it.

I need to spend more time with it, but I feel like there's more meat on those bones than Dead End Kings.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Cure for life my droogs.

fwlwlfbbkpvv.jpeg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    Its all about the Ghost actually

https://youtu.be/e3r8PDl4cng

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    New Revocation single from their upcoming album streamaleeming: https://revocationband.bandcamp.com/track/communion

• Options
    Its all about the Ghost actually

https://youtu.be/e3r8PDl4cng

The riffs in this song are going to be stuck in my head all day now. Not a bad problem to have, but I haven't listened to Meliora in a minute because I get stuck in this loop where a song gets stuck in my head, so I listen to it, and then it remains stuck in my head.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    So, new Katatonia - I think I like it.

I need to spend more time with it, but I feel like there's more meat on those bones than Dead End Kings.

It's real good, new band members brought a more active sound. Serac onward, man.

• Options
    TerribleMisathropeTerribleMisathrope 23rd Degree Intiate At The Right Hand Of The Seven HornsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    MOAR Album 'Tubes (sorry if these have already been posted)!!

Vibrion - Bacterya - Nice Argentinean DM taking heavy cues from Morbid Angel and Immolation, yet without cloning those influences. Zenith Passage - Solipsist - Californian Tech Deth Edit: Novembre - Ursa - Italian Doom/Progressive Metal

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    HOLY SHIIIIT!
    facebook-d30bf6d50e5f7e0a2280fde4ac6e4b3a434812bc.jpg?wl=500

These motherfuckers disappeared from the face of earth 12 years ago! (or motherfucker? I remember something about Mare being somewhat of a solo project...)
    I googled the name at least once a year or so, wishing for some news, but I think I gave up hope in 2010?
    But it was a name seriously worth remembering, even though only releasing a simple EP bearing its name. That EP left quite an imprint on me, and others, judging from comments about this long bygone band.
    I'm hoping you'll find some value in it as well! :) Postrawk from some other, much bleaker, dimension...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4221CYMzG1w

Panda4You on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
  • Options
    i just warged into my own dick and came thundering like a dragon eating its own tail

• Options
    don't think too much about that one. i, uhhh, have no idea where that even came from. neat track, though. i had watched a couple of festival videos on youtube and exogeny roots to sever had been played live on their tours. see how i did that cheeky thing with the strikeouts and stuff and whatever the fuck no one cares why am i still even inserting letters into this sentence jesus ghost just stop

nice to hear the studio version. has some extra bits. i'll be looking forward to the release.

• Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Panda4You wrote: »
    This is pretty crazy and awesome so far. At the beginning I was slightly reminded of Rosetta (who you probably know, but if not, they are rad), but after listening to more this Mare EP is actually quite unique IMO.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Here are my picks for May! Pretty much a death metal blowout this month, with a few exceptions. I don't have the full Gojira yet so I've excluded that.

Abnormality Mechanisms of Omniscience (some of auto's fellow Massholes conquering the world)
    Cadaveric Fumes Dimensions Obscure EP (great French retro death metal, unique and well crafted, I loved their demo too)
    Cauchemar Chapelle Ardente (Canadian heavy/ancient/occult doom, you might know Annick from her metal cookbook)
    Flotsam & Jetsam s/t (surprisingly catchy album, fuses their 80s and 90s styles together)
    Gorguts Pleiades' Dust (epic EP, especially if you liked the last album)
    Grave Miasma Endless Pilgrimage (killer, catchy old school atmospheric death, they never disappoint)
    Katalepsy Gravenous Hour (Russian intensity, one of the best bands on that super-brutal edge of the genre)
    Spell For None and All (killer atmospheric ancient heavy metal sound, also Canadian, way better than their prior album)
    Vektor Terminal Redux (Vektor does it again, supreme sci-fi technical death/thrash circa Atheist, Voivod, Cynic, Death, etc)
    Virus Memento Collider (ex-Ved Buens Ende, now four albums deep as Virus and killing it every time with their weirdo post-metal)
    Zealotry The Last Witness (Another Mass-based band makin' bank, okay not exactly but this album is great morbid atmospheric death)

autothrall on
  • Options
    TerribleMisathropeTerribleMisathrope 23rd Degree Intiate At The Right Hand Of The Seven HornsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Thanks auto!!

Edit: Hadn't realized a new Zealotry is out. Have a few of the others and looking forward to picking up the rest!

\m/

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    God damn that Cadaveric Fumes hits the spot.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Does anybody know a way to link a set of posts tagged with a certain band from FtDR? I wanted to link all of the Voivod reviews to a friend, but clicking the tag, while loading the reviews, doesn't actually change the URL.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Does anybody know a way to link a set of posts tagged with a certain band from FtDR? I wanted to link all of the Voivod reviews to a friend, but clicking the tag, while loading the reviews, doesn't actually change the URL.

http://autothrall.blogspot.com/search/label/voivod

autothrall on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    autothrall wrote: »

http://autothrall.blogspot.com/search/label/voivod

Oh! How did you do that

edit: reason I'm confused is that I have FtDR bookmarked and it loads in my browser as "fromthedustreturned.com"

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    The only way I know of is to right click -> copy link location.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    well that makes too much sense

i'm so dumb

• Options
    FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    The Fallujah was so good, it had to be placed on two different lists :tell_me_more:

Edit: That new Flotsam & Jetsam is probably going to take my 'Totally Unexpected' award this year.

Fearmeister on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Watching Fallujah's guitarists belt out "The Void Alone" and seeing how he (Scott) does those fucking notes is a treat. This is some next-level stuff here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdJAwL75bLE

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    And the only thing that upsets me about Fallujah is that these amazing, genius instrumentalists are saddled with such a run-of-the-mill death growler.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    The Fallujah was so good, it had to be placed on two different lists :tell_me_more:

Edit: That new Flotsam & Jetsam is probably going to take my 'Totally Unexpected' award this year.

Huh, weird, on my notes it doesn't show up on the last list. Deleting this one, leaving it on the April list.

autothrall on
  • Options
    Seriously, that Fallujah has some of the most beautiful instrumentation I've heard in a long time. Never checked em out before this threads raving, and I'm very glad I did.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Lately I've been on a very much Primal Fear kick. Also heard some Manowar on the radio yesterday for the first time in years, and it really worked with the mood I was on. I don't understand why some people hate them so much, they're such delicious cheese if the mood strikes.

Probably wouldn't make a playlist of only Manowar though.

• Options
    Kaputa wrote: »
    Panda4You wrote: »
    This is pretty crazy and awesome so far. At the beginning I was slightly reminded of Rosetta (who you probably know, but if not, they are rad), but after listening to more this Mare EP is actually quite unique IMO.
    I'm glad you like! Also, keep in mind that shit came out in 2004! :)
    Me 12 years ago: "Ehrmegehrd, these guys are gonna be yooge! They're gonna blow all those other noodly EitS fucks outta the water, right? Right?"

Oh and yeah, Rosetta are some old acquintances! :) I remember being up in arms about them when I discovered them 2-3 years ago, but these days... The later releases don't seem to have the same schwung to them, and I honestly can't say if it's them or just me not being as into it anymore. :cry:
    They're (were?) good, accessible melosludge anyhow!

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    God damn that Cadaveric Fumes hits the spot.

It also passes the crucial test of sounding like something from an ancient Dungeons & Dragons manual

All creatures within a 30' square area must throw a saving throw vs. poison

• Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    You guys...

I'd like to add that Mayhem were incredible and by far the spookiest band I've ever seen.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    She has a steel hull, so it's not like I had any other options in terms of naming her, right?
    uws10cj7dise.jpg

Yall on
  • Options
    desc wrote: »
    It also passes the crucial test of sounding like something from an ancient Dungeons & Dragons manual

All creatures within a 30' square area must throw a saving throw vs. poison

You need to listen to the full-length album by Finland's Lantern :)

• Options
    New Lacuna Coil is uncharacteristically heavy.

This discussion has been closed.