Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

PAX South 2016 Information, FAQ, and Q&A Thread (Ask Questions Here!)

13567

Posts

  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    No worries! I appreciate the additional information.

  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    @PrototypeAres not yet, but very soon!

  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    @TheJoe hah! I stumbled upon B&D just exploring the city last year. Literally the best barbeque I've ever eaten.

    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • angelicstubbornessangelicstubborness Registered User regular
    Does pax merch for their official merch booth stay the same each pax or change?

  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Each show has their own show-exclusive swag. A good resource would be to look at PA news posts about the merch.

    South 2015
    East 2015
    Prime 2015

    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • OfficeZombieOfficeZombie Registered User regular
    I hope they made an orange version of the hoodie that was at pax prime this year, that thing looked great.

  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    TheJoe wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »
    San Antonio River Walk (top)


    Where can I get something to eat in San Antonio?

    The following are all within a short walk or cab ride of the con:
    Fast and cheap: Taco Haven, Whataburger
    Budget Conscious but Willing to Spend: Mi Tierra, La Gloria, Alamo Street Eat Bar
    Willing to Splurge: The Boiler House, Stella Public House, The Monterey, The Granary
    Just Won a Huge Cash Prize at the Omegathon: Restaurant Gwendolyn, Bohanan's

    If I want to leave the River Walk, how do I find my way around on the Transit System?

    VIA Metropolitan Transit

    What are some good places to drink beer with lots of people in San Antonio that are near the Convention Center?

    Again, all within foot or affordable cab range:
    For a cheap-ass beer: Leapin Lizard Pub, Durty Nelly's, Bar America
    For a good glass of wine: The Monterey, Zinc Bistro, the Boiler House
    For a good microbrew: Stella Public house, The Monterey
    For a kickass cocktail: 1919, The Brooklynite, The Esquire Tavern, TBA (that is not a placeholder, TBA is actually the name of the bar)
    Best happy hours: Luke, Liberty Bar, Cured
    Best Ice Houses: The Friendly Spot, La Tuna Ice House

    San Antonio Local here, gotta comment on your list.

    The Monterey is closing in about 2 months from today - so strike that off your list unless something awesome pops back up :( If you're a local here, enjoy it while you can!!!

    B&D Ice House across from the Friendly Spot has, in my opinion, the best marbled brisket in the city. They also serve nothing but TEXAS beers, cans and draft. It's BBQ, so not fast and cheap, but fast and budget conscious. Tito's Mexican Restaurant across the street is some "ok" Mexican Food.

    I consider Schilo's Delicatessen to fall under your "Budget Conscious but willing to Spend" Category. It's a great little deli, and makes their own root beer. It's a very short walk from the convention center.

    Let's add to your "Budget Concious / Willing to Splurge" with what I consider one of the best bars and pretty good restaurants in town - the Esquire Tavern. I always take out of towners here, and they love it. You threw it under bar, but they have a good menu.

    You should also put Cured under willing to Splurge for restaurants.

    Never been to San Antonio and asking yourself, "What is Tex Mex Culture like?" Go to Mi Teirra for dinner. The food is "ok" but the ambiance is the best. The restaurant is also open 24 hours, in case you find yourself leaving a bar at 2am starving. Nothing like a heavy buzz and mariachi music.

    You listed good microbrew, but you didn't list The Blue Star Brewery ?

    For those of you with a close knit of friends and want to experience some good bars, I prefer Esquire Tavern, The Last Word, and The Soho. I also like to stop into The Menger Hotel bar, which is next door to the Alamo. If you like historical things, walking through the Menger reading the pictures on the wall is amazing. Bohanan's is an expensive steak restaurant, but their bar is amazing as well.

    I can probably name off a few more, but it's already past closing time and I gotta get out of here!
    Is The Esquire the one that's got all the dimly glowing old timey lightbulbs? I think we tried to go there one night but it was super packed.
    Smelled good though.

    steam_sig.png
    Aioua
  • obi1isdabestubetobi1isdabestubet Registered User regular
    Hey all very excited for south! Was wondering about shuttles to and from the airport? did they have them last year or am i just going to have to suck it up and get a taxi?

  • Bartoni33Bartoni33 Southern IllinoisRegistered User regular
    Hey all very excited for south! Was wondering about shuttles to and from the airport? did they have them last year or am i just going to have to suck it up and get a taxi?

    I used this last year with no problems http://www.citytoursinc.com/shuttle-faq. In fact on the way from the airport to my hotel I rode with some dude from Twitch that was on the opening day broadcast. Apparently he was "famous" from the reactions of the other people on the ride.

  • obi1isdabestubetobi1isdabestubet Registered User regular
    Awesome! Thank you so much

  • orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    Is The Esquire the one that's got all the dimly glowing old timey lightbulbs? I think we tried to go there one night but it was super packed.
    Smelled good though.

    That's the one. I managed a really late dinner there Saturday, and it was plenty packed (but very good).

    PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • polish.princesspolish.princess Registered User regular
    I have to move at the end of December (unexpectedly) and was wondering if I will get my passes at my current address before then?

  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I have to move at the end of December (unexpectedly) and was wondering if I will get my passes at my current address before then?
    Probably not. They are usually sent out about 2 weeks prior to the event. Make sure as soon as you know your new address to change the address through the my tickets setup on showclix and send an email to [email protected] for good measure. Also registering for mail forwarding with the post office is always a good idea.

    mayapple
  • kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    TheJoe wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »
    San Antonio River Walk (top)


    Where can I get something to eat in San Antonio?

    The following are all within a short walk or cab ride of the con:
    Fast and cheap: Taco Haven, Whataburger
    Budget Conscious but Willing to Spend: Mi Tierra, La Gloria, Alamo Street Eat Bar
    Willing to Splurge: The Boiler House, Stella Public House, The Monterey, The Granary
    Just Won a Huge Cash Prize at the Omegathon: Restaurant Gwendolyn, Bohanan's

    If I want to leave the River Walk, how do I find my way around on the Transit System?

    VIA Metropolitan Transit

    What are some good places to drink beer with lots of people in San Antonio that are near the Convention Center?

    Again, all within foot or affordable cab range:
    For a cheap-ass beer: Leapin Lizard Pub, Durty Nelly's, Bar America
    For a good glass of wine: The Monterey, Zinc Bistro, the Boiler House
    For a good microbrew: Stella Public house, The Monterey
    For a kickass cocktail: 1919, The Brooklynite, The Esquire Tavern, TBA (that is not a placeholder, TBA is actually the name of the bar)
    Best happy hours: Luke, Liberty Bar, Cured
    Best Ice Houses: The Friendly Spot, La Tuna Ice House

    San Antonio Local here, gotta comment on your list.

    The Monterey is closing in about 2 months from today - so strike that off your list unless something awesome pops back up :( If you're a local here, enjoy it while you can!!!

    B&D Ice House across from the Friendly Spot has, in my opinion, the best marbled brisket in the city. They also serve nothing but TEXAS beers, cans and draft. It's BBQ, so not fast and cheap, but fast and budget conscious. Tito's Mexican Restaurant across the street is some "ok" Mexican Food.

    I consider Schilo's Delicatessen to fall under your "Budget Conscious but willing to Spend" Category. It's a great little deli, and makes their own root beer. It's a very short walk from the convention center.

    Let's add to your "Budget Concious / Willing to Splurge" with what I consider one of the best bars and pretty good restaurants in town - the Esquire Tavern. I always take out of towners here, and they love it. You threw it under bar, but they have a good menu.

    You should also put Cured under willing to Splurge for restaurants.

    Never been to San Antonio and asking yourself, "What is Tex Mex Culture like?" Go to Mi Teirra for dinner. The food is "ok" but the ambiance is the best. The restaurant is also open 24 hours, in case you find yourself leaving a bar at 2am starving. Nothing like a heavy buzz and mariachi music.

    You listed good microbrew, but you didn't list The Blue Star Brewery ?

    For those of you with a close knit of friends and want to experience some good bars, I prefer Esquire Tavern, The Last Word, and The Soho. I also like to stop into The Menger Hotel bar, which is next door to the Alamo. If you like historical things, walking through the Menger reading the pictures on the wall is amazing. Bohanan's is an expensive steak restaurant, but their bar is amazing as well.

    I can probably name off a few more, but it's already past closing time and I gotta get out of here!
    Is The Esquire the one that's got all the dimly glowing old timey lightbulbs? I think we tried to go there one night but it was super packed.
    Smelled good though.

    So many good suggestions? When does the food thread go up? I must make a list

    1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Just celebrated my 10th PAX trip.

    Twitter:kube00
  • KiwiSamaKiwiSama Registered User new member
    Hello! I was wondering if there was going to be a starcraft2 tournament at Pax South? If so, can someone help link me to the information? I can't seem to find anything on it anywhere. Thanks!!

  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    kube00 wrote: »

    So many good suggestions? When does the food thread go up? I must make a list
    As soon as somebody wants to put one up.

    zerzhul
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    KiwiSama wrote: »
    Hello! I was wondering if there was going to be a starcraft2 tournament at Pax South? If so, can someone help link me to the information? I can't seem to find anything on it anywhere. Thanks!!
    There's no way to know that quite yet! The schedule won't be released until late December or early January most likely.

  • PirateTruckPirateTruck Registered User regular
    Does the merch booth typically have First Party stuff? I'd like to buy a polo from PAX instead of ordering one.

  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Does the merch booth typically have First Party stuff? I'd like to buy a polo from PAX instead of ordering one.

    No, I don't think we have ever brought First Party things to PAX merch. Online store is the way to go for those.

    -Beker/Erick
    mV2y6kv.png
  • OramiOrami Registered User regular
    So last year I brought my Oculus DK2 the last day along with my laptop and let people play around in the free play area. I would love to do that again - probably something less in depth than dreadhalls though that took a long time for some plays. Any thoughts on if we can set up this year? *I do not work for oculus or any company I just find it fun to watch people experience it.(and the screaming from dreadhalls wasn't bad either what can I say I'm a bit of a sadist eh?*

  • OramiOrami Registered User regular
    KiwiSama wrote: »
    Hello! I was wondering if there was going to be a starcraft2 tournament at Pax South? If so, can someone help link me to the information? I can't seem to find anything on it anywhere. Thanks!!

    There were no blizzard games last year that I remember. I think I still have the flyer though so I will give it another look. SC2 was not even installed on the Free play area computers.

  • crazy1scrazy1s Registered User new member
    My first PAX, so newbie question. When is the exhibitor/vendor list usually released for public consumption?

  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    About 2-3 weeks before the show, so expect it around the beginning of the year.

    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • XadesXades PartTruth Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if ArenaNet (Guild Wars 2) and Super Evil Megacorp (Vainglory) will be attending PAX?

    Xades.2976 - Guild Wars 2
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Your best bet is to ask the developer directly.

    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
    zerzhul
  • basotlbasotl San Antonio, TXRegistered User new member
    edited November 2015
    I did some searching and answered my own question but I thought I would post the question and answer here in hopes that anyone else wondering the same thing will find the answer quicker.

    Q: This is my first time at PAX South, I have a valid Texas Handgun license or I am from a state with a reciprocity agreement with Texas. May I conceal carry or open carry a firearm while at PAX?

    A: No.

    Why? PAX and the convention center has a no weapons policy url="https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/145901/pax-security-mini-faq-and-weapons-policy/p1"]1[/urlurl="http://www.sanantonio.gov/portals/0/files/csef/Operational-Policies-12-11-14.pdf"]2[/url. While 30.06 signs will not be posted, as an event organizer, the security at PAX can ask you to leave for violating a policy. If you are found to have a firearm, you will be asked to leave. If you refuse to leave, you are now trespassing and the police can remove/cite/arrest you as the situation dictates.

    I hope this answer is much clearer for those wondering and searching the FAQ or Safety and Security Policy posted on the PAX South website.

    basotl on
  • EcohoEcoho Registered User regular
    so im flying straight in to San Antonio whats the best way to get from the airport to my hotel?

  • RILMSRILMS Darwell, ABRegistered User regular
    Some hotels have shuttles from the airport. Other than than....Uber or a taxi...

    frbAh8W.png

    Ask me about PAX South 2019 Challenge Coins here
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Ecoho wrote: »
    so im flying straight in to San Antonio whats the best way to get from the airport to my hotel?

    I'm not local, but I believe the consensus from locals last year was, take a paid shuttle if your hotel doesn't provide a free one. I think a taxi or Uber would cost a lot more than that.

  • KittyKat96KittyKat96 Registered User new member
    I applied for an enforcer job back at the end of october. I was wondering how long do we have to wait to find out whether we got the job or not. Also how will you tell the enforcers they got the job. Will it be by email or phone?

  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    1. I'd expect it to be before Christmas.
    2. E-mail.

    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • DustyStarrDustyStarr Registered User regular
    I feel like I may have asked this before and I apologize if I have, but how exactly do we get from the airport to the riverwalk area? I heard there is no train system, so do we have to rely on taxies, or are there cheaper airport shuttles?

  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    DustyStarr wrote: »
    I feel like I may have asked this before and I apologize if I have, but how exactly do we get from the airport to the riverwalk area? I heard there is no train system, so do we have to rely on taxies, or are there cheaper airport shuttles?
    I am not local, so any of them feel free to correct this.
    Go Shuttle $34 (roundtrip) $19 (1-Way)
    Uberx $16-22 (1-Way). And at least $30 for the other versions.
    Lyft $23 (1-Way)
    Taxi $30 (1-Way)
    There is a bus, but nobody local has recommended that. I know some people took it, but I don't see any of them chiming in here to say how great it was. It's supposed to be cheap, but slow and unreliable.

  • SantistaSantista Registered User new member
    Say I bought two 3 day tickets (one for my self and one for the S.O.) I just got the email for omegathon application, but it only had one Attendee ID on it. So only one of us can sign up for selection? or can we use the same ID for both entries?

  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Santista wrote: »
    Say I bought two 3 day tickets (one for my self and one for the S.O.) I just got the email for omegathon application, but it only had one Attendee ID on it. So only one of us can sign up for selection? or can we use the same ID for both entries?

    I believe, only the person who bought the tickets can enter the Omegathon. Specifically the phone number used to buy them.

  • MrBroadstoneMrBroadstone Registered User regular
    Everyone likes the taxis, shuttles, and uber, but if you arrive not super-late, mass transit works folks! A lot of people ignore mass transit, but it looks like San Antonio has a bus line that works great. I mean it'll take a bit longer, but depends on if you want to save money and have spare time. If you're in a small group of 2-3, I'd argue it works just as well. Downside is that you'll need free time and change. $1.30 to be exact (they don't give change, either)

    Bus #5 runs from the airport, then turns into #30 on the same bus. There's stops all along Mary Street. Last useful stop to PAXers is on the southwest corner of the park that has the convention center, which is Cesar Chavez Blvd & Alamo. But you probably want Mary St and Commerce street.

    How to get to bus from airport:
    http://www.sanantonio.gov/SAT/GroundTransportation/PublicTransportation.aspx

    Far west side of Terminal B, on the lower level is supposedly a "clearly marked" #5. This bus goes to a mall first, then pretty much heads straight for downtown, the riverwalk, and PAX hotels.

    Landmarks for your get-off point: Building (theatre?) marked with EMPIRE. St. Mary's Catholic Church (old school style church building). Aztec theatre.

    I mean, most people have smartphones. Just watch yourself on your map app get closer to the convention center. A good thing to put into your phone is "The Aztec Theatre". Closer you get without passing that by more than a block is probably pretty awesome.

    The Hanged Man
  • The Hanged ManThe Hanged Man Once I ate a pizza so big, they gave me a prize. Then I threw up and they took it back.Registered User regular
    I got in too late in the day to use the bus on arrival last year, but used it on departure, and it was fine. The main reason to be wary of the bus is luggage space. I had a packpack and a very small suitcase, and had to sit with both on my lap. But I was also riding up at what was probably the busiest commuter time of the day.

    TWITTER: @DesertLeviathan, PSN: LeviathanAscends
    3DS: 1590-4800-2407, SWITCH: SW-3925-2368-8101
    2kPRT5C.png
  • kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    Wasnt there a promo for Uber and Lyft last year?

    1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Just celebrated my 10th PAX trip.

    Twitter:kube00
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    There was not as far as I know. I know someone posted their own referral codes under the guise of it being a promo. If you have a friend with those apps, you can use their referral code to sign up for the service and get your first ride free and get them a free ride.

  • DustyStarrDustyStarr Registered User regular
    Thank you all for the info. :3 I am getting there really early Thursday and leaving very late Monday so I will have time for the bus.

This discussion has been closed.