As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX AUS 2015 Challenge Coin! ALL GONE! :(

fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin ManNewcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
edited November 2015 in PAX Australia
1QCpjg4h.jpg

uotK1pls.jpg sv0oXPPs.jpg ZY18K40s.jpg dfRGz7Ws.jpg nhN7cdbs.jpg SVw1Okss.jpg NAXU9zns.jpg JGRHUmDs.jpg
What the hell is a PAX Challenge Coin? Click here for details.

:star::star:ALL COINS FOR PAX PICKUP ARE SOLD OUT!:star::star:

You can still purchase some from the next run via direct shipping from the US, but they won't get to you until after PAX AUS 2015. Your orders need to be placed by the 15th of November 2015 to make it into the second batch!

http://tiny.cc/AUS2015CoinOrderForm

All the following info can be found on the above link, but I paste it here for convenience and because Google Forms doesn't allow formatting.

PAX AUS 2015 Challenge Coin Order Form

:star:PLEASE NOTE! :star:: All prices listed on this page are in USD, as that is where manufacturing is taking place and where your money is going.

HOW TO ORDER:

AUSTRALIAN RESIDENTS:

Have the coins mailed to you direct from the US. Coins cost $5 USD each, with shipping costing $15 USD for 1 to 6 coins. Shipping for 7+ coins is $31 USD. Here is a cheat sheet to determine your shipping price: http://tiny.cc/AUSShippingCheatSheet

UNITED STATES RESIDENTS:

Have the coins mailed to you from within the US. Coins cost $5 USD each, with shipping costing $3 USD for 1 to 4 coins and $4 USD for 5 to 6 coins. Shipping for 7+ coins is $6 USD. Here is a cheat sheet to determine your shipping price: http://tiny.cc/USShippingCheatSheet

PLEASE make sure you are looking at the right sheet when determining your total!

Once you have selected your preferred method and number of coins please send your full payment to cointraders@gmail.com via PayPal. You must make your payment first so you can add the transaction ID here.

Any questions please post here. I can help with form issues and general stuff, and @akidderz can help with order issues/production stuff.

SEE YOU ALL AT PAX AUS!

EDIT: Final design:
FRONT:

OvDt0DR.png

BACK:

V9PmSZe.png

EDIT: Production artwork (click for big):
jOYjGINl.jpg

EDIT: Check out these HOT MOLDS!
g2g4VG1.jpg

O2rCLzA.jpg

EDIT: Here's a pic of the actual mold, flipped so it's the right way around of course:
U07k0WC.jpg

Original OP content here:
As you may or may not know, the US based PAXen have produced a challenge coin for quite a few years for their shows, and I'd like to get the tradition off the ground over here. See the thread for the PAX Prime 2015 Challenge Coin here.

I've been talking over some preliminary details with @SkeleVader and @akidderz, the user whose US based company produced this years Prime coin.

Rough details:

XVQsqWcl.jpg

Coins would cost around $19 USD to ship out to purchasers over here. We could probably lessen that with bulk shipping to someone in Melbourne for distribution at the show, but at most it will be $19 USD each.

What we need to do now:

See how many people would be interested in purchasing one of these unique show mementos? Post and say so!

Design it! I'm not from Melbourne so I need some locals to suggest a local attraction for one side, and something gaming related for the other (that's the criteria, right @SkeleVader?). That tram sitting upright near the convention centre might be a good pick? The convention centre itself since this is the first year?

Also: I was considering if we want to alter the Latin phrase for our coin? NUMQUAM MENTULA ES (don't be a dick, roughly) has been on every PAX challenge coin produced up to this point, but I was thinking us Aussies might want to have a crack at it? I thought it might be funny to replace "dick" with "drongo", but that's only really funny if drongo isn't translated into the Latin (which, good news, there's not word in Latin for drongo, so it wouldn't be), but the original wasn't actually a direct translation anyway.

Google tells me it would end up being "NE SIS DRONGO".

Yes/No? Got a better idea? Let's here them!

Now, I've left this incredibly late, SO WE ONLY HAVE ABOUT A WEEK to organise this if we're going to do this for this years show! So if you have anything to contribute (design ideas, suggestions, interest) now's the time to let us know.

Sorry for how haphazard this thread is right now. I just needed to get it started.

Expect frequent updates.

PICKUP & QUESTION INFO I PASTE HERE SO I CAN USE IT NEXT YEAR IGNORE PLEASE!: ;)

:question: So which option should you choose? Both have their pros and cons.

Pickup is the easiest, and cheaper than shipping 1 coin, but the more coins you order via the shipping method the cheaper it gets (to a point, compare the cheat sheets above). And it can work the other way as well; if you wanted 6 coins, it's $2 USD cheaper to order via shipping than pickup.

Also if people want to form groups in this thread to bring the shipping costs down they're welcome to, but obviously you'll have to trust the person you nominate to send the payment to also send you your coins when they arrive.

And a reminder; even if you nominate to receive yours via pickup, you still have to order and pay ahead of time through this form. I won't be collecting US cash at the show. ;)

At the moment it will just be me handing them out at PAX, as I'll have to keep track of who's paid for how many etc. This may change depending on demand. I'll be staying at the Crowne Plaza just across the water from the venue, so I won't be too hard to track down. I get in Thursday night so if you'd like to get yours then it shouldn't be a problem.

fishfishmonkeyhat on

• DegraineDegraine Pinsomniac Victoria, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Well if it's Latin phrases, I think 'Nullas Anxietas' is the only way to go for an Australian coin.

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    You are correct, one side is devoted to a landmark from the host city and the other side represents gaming, or Pax. For example, the very first coin from Prime 2010 had a DS raised high as you would during a Pax concert.

When I do this for Prime I would consider having only a few months not enough time. A week is insane. Good luck ; )

IhtGIyi.png
  • fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Maybe our image should be the word "pax aus" hand written on a piece of paper, sticky-taped to a brick wall?

• foehammerfoehammer procrastinator extraordinaire melbourneRegistered User regular
    i want one
    for a Melbourne land mark a flinders street station or the mcg

• vonhistvonhist Mr Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I'd buy one (or more). A tram is not a bad choice.

• agentcooperagentcooper Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Me three!

Let's trade: https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/agentcooper
    "Damn fine pins!"
  • DuckieDuckie Squirrel Squad Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I'll buy one!!
    If I was at home I would love to help design it but alas :(
    Trams are pretty Melbourne specific so make sense and if you want something aesthetically pleasing you could specifically reference the Restaurant Tram which is beautiful ^^
    Flinders st station is also pretty iconic.

Although I'm going throw and idea out there that might stir the pot a bit. since all PAXaus stuff so far has been generally Australiana rather than state/city specific like the US PAXen we could probably technically go with something nationally iconic instead... Just a thought.

Pinny Pals Lanyard | I make things!!

[X]PAXsouth 2015
    [X]PAXaus 2015
    [?]PAXeast 2016 ???
  • fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Yeah that's actually a good point Duckie.

• CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    The best part is that any other suggestions can be used for later years coins. I'd say a tram would be easiest for this year. But unless you have an artist locked down now, I think we might be a little late for this.

Some alternate suggestions for the Aus latin motto -
    - amicus non subponam - No worries mate. (actually No worries friend)
    - Cave cadens ursi/Cave distillans ursi - Beware dropbears. (actually Beware falling/dropping bears)
    - Sequitur de terra sub - We come from a land down under.
    - Terra pretiosa ludos - Land of expensive games
    - Bibemus plus cervisiam - We drink more beer

But in any case, definitely +1 here for interest. I'll bring along my Prime 2010/11/12 coins for you guys to check out.

An artist?

I thought we could just use a photo?

OH GOD I'M TERRIBLE AT THIS!

Honestly it's probably too late at this point judging by what I'm reading here, but I was just waiting on @akidderz thoughts about that.

• PDP11PDP11 Registered User regular
    Degraine wrote: »
    Well if it's Latin phrases, I think 'Nullas Anxietas' is the only way to go for an Australian coin.
    My vote is for this one.

For the gaming side of the coin I'd go with an Australian theme like a retro MicroBee see https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/81/MicroBee_Systems.gif . Ask MicroBee Technology Pty. Ltd. for permission.

• sennohkisennohki Hobart, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I'm in

• akidderzakidderz Registered User regular
    Sorry for the late response on my part, Holiday in the US and I was travelling with family.

Yes -- a photo can be used (we will translate that for a coin).

The timeline is tight -- but if we finalized a design this week, people could have a coin in hands before PAX AUS. I need roughly 3 weeks to make these and shipping via USPS (which is what I tried to price these at) would get them there typically in 10 days.

Let me know and we can get cracking.

Cool.

Hey @SkeleVader could you send me those PSD files you have so I can start getting some rough design layouts going please?

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Cool.

Hey @SkeleVader could you send me those PSD files you have so I can start getting some rough design layouts going please?

Sent

IhtGIyi.png
    Excellent.

If people want to start posting some copyright free photos we could use feel free. I'll have a look at it later tonight.

I rather like the giant spider from the 2013 shirt. It'd be great if we could get a giant spider crawling over the top of the MCG/Jeff's Shed or something, but that's probably a pipe dream given our timeframe. Still prefer dog latin over the 'proper' translation of 'No Worries' but either way that's the phrase I'd want. :)

• SmuffySmuffy Registered User regular

I'm in. Don't care on the final design. I'm just in. :biggrin:

• Tubby2877Tubby2877 Addicted Pinner Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Fish, count me in as well if this is still going ahead

edited September 2015
    Ok here's what I've come up with today for the back of the coin:

db0fNyv.png

Obviously it won't be in colour on the final coin. Suggestions welcomed, but we don't have long so I can't promise anything.

@akidderz could you work with that or do I need to do anything to it first? (remove the filter I put over the image, make it grey-scale etc).

Also does anyone know how I can rotate the text in Photoshop?

I need to move the circled points in the directions of the arrows so it will be even in the middle:

shTGDre.png

EDIT: Looking at that picture I just realised the top point is actually the rotate point. Hmm.
    EDIT EDIT: I FIXED IT YAY ME!

Starting work on the front while I wait for some feedback.

fishfishmonkeyhat on
  • foehammerfoehammer procrastinator extraordinaire melbourneRegistered User regular
  • AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I love it!

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Squire_PugSquire_Pug Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    In for a couple! Arts centre spire? Flinders St from the yarra side?

if dont be a dick is the universal standard so far I'm up for drongo variant rather than anything to new.,..

Ok, so here's what I'm thinking for the gaming side of the coin. It's a uniquely Australian game, and it should be pretty nostalgic to the older attendees. Once again, keep in mind the colour is only temp:

m4vXh7k.png

I like having the year of release beside the name to help people who will have nfi what it is work out it's a retro game. Would be pretty cool to see that duck rendered in 3D after all these years. And if you guys like it, next year we could use Aussie Rules Footy for the NES. :P

Also here it is with alternative versions of the motto:

qpQfAvS.png

NOLI ESSE DRONGO -"Don't be a drongo". Google gave me a slightly different translation this time for some reason.

3i56Osi.png

NULLAS ANXIETAS -Pig Latin, you get it.

CuZZa wrote: »
    - amicus non subponam - No worries mate. (actually No worries friend)

Out of yours I like this one as it keeps the closest to the original intent of the original saying.

Vote for your fav/thoughts.

I'll contact @akidderz to see if these are even workable.

• MadkineMadkine AustraliaRegistered User regular
  • agentcooperagentcooper Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    No worries!

Let's trade: https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/agentcooper
    "Damn fine pins!"
    how do i vote? just say yes here?

and im serious PLEASE keep me in the design!

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
    I like it. About the only thing I'd change is removing the 1992, it seems superfluous.

And I suppose I'll vote for Cuzza's 'proper' translation of 'no worries, mate' seeing as this is a gaming convention, not a Discworld one.

• luckycharmluckycharm Perth, AURegistered User regular
    The front picture made me laugh- keep it!
    I loved the moto Terra pretiosa ludos - Land of expensive games because Australians always make jokes about themselves.
    I'm not much of a cricket fan, but I'm not Australian either- so I don't mind. I'll buy one!

Ayefkay wrote: »
    how do i vote? just say yes here?

and im serious PLEASE keep me in the design!

Yes just vote here.

Also I was trying to slip your avatar in there on the down-low and you're not helping. :P
    Degraine wrote: »
    I like it. About the only thing I'd change is removing the 1992, it seems superfluous.

And I suppose I'll vote for Cuzza's 'proper' translation of 'no worries, mate' seeing as this is a gaming convention, not a Discworld one.

Anyone else think the date should go? Also my drongo one was a proper translation! :P

edited September 2015
    Oh, also what does everyone think of the "Jeff's Shed" text?

I thought "PAX AUS" was kind of redundant there since it was already on that coin face, with the only other idea being "MELBOURNE", but once again, redundant.

Do most people in Melbourne understand that nickname?

EDIT: Also someone suggested I remove the "met-link" logo. I don't think it would even show up in the finished coin, but I can remove it if other's want to make sure.

fishfishmonkeyhat on
    I dont know what Jeffs Shed refers to.

What about the street name the melb exhibition center is on. i dont know much about trams but doesnt the destination go on that bit?

Other than that, i like it.

8fuuo_RK.png
    jeffs shed is the mcec it was first built when the premier was Jeff Kennett an it looked like a shed ergo jeffs shed

• misskassmisskass Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I think most of the younger PAX-going crowd (not that this is for them) won't know Jeff's Shed, I didn't until my dad explained it to me a few years ago. It's not a common nickname any more as far as I know.

Otherwise, I'm totally down for a coin.

• CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    If going for the Discworld style one, it's Nullus Anxietas. I'm not a fan of the guy in the front of the tram but just my opinion. Seems out of place and won't work as well in the 3D of the coin. Also, there is no route 15, route 12, 96 and 109 stop at MCEC but that's just me nitpicking.

As for the gamer side, it seems to be a bit bare, maybe increase the size of the elements so there is less whitespace between them? Otherwise yeah a very Australian early game.

When/if they get made how do you order them, and how many can we get

8fuuo_RK.png
    I'm not a fan of the guy in the front of the tram but just my opinion. Seems out of place and won't work as well in the 3D of the coin.

He's not in front of it, he's driving it.
    Also, there is no route 15, route 12, 96 and 109 stop at MCEC but that's just me nitpicking.

The number was unreadable on the source image so I just put in the current year.
    As for the gamer side, it seems to be a bit bare, maybe increase the size of the elements so there is less whitespace between them?

Yeah we can do that. Still haven't heard back from @akidderz yet.
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    When/if they get made how do you order them, and how many can we get

We'll set up an ordering form and you can order as many as you like. I think he said minimum order is 100 or something (that's total, not per person :P).

My votes are:
    1. NULLAS ANXIETAS
    2. Lose the driver from the front of the Tram
    3. Make the route sign 2015 or use a real route number

• sennohkisennohki Hobart, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Votes:
    Nullas Anxietas
    Keep ayefkay on there!
    Not sure on the route

misskass wrote: »
    I think most of the younger PAX-going crowd (not that this is for them) won't know Jeff's Shed, I didn't until my dad explained it to me a few years ago. It's not a common nickname any more as far as I know.

I'd still go with Jeff's Shed as a destination sign even if it is a bit obscure. Google throws up the Wikipedia entry for the Melbourne Convention Centre with an explanation.