As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fitness and Weight Management

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I would also advise walking every day. Even if it's just 20 minutes. It's not high impact or too exhausting, and you'll become fit enough to do it trivially very quickly.

Every time I see a 90 year old in the hospital who is in amazing shape I ask what they do, and the answer is always "I walk every day."

Walking is really under appreciated as an exercise.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    On the subject of diet, but not necessarily the workout end, anybody got any decent ideas/recipes for a mixed vegetable and fruit salad? I been looking for one to have with my sandwich at lunch in order to squeeze in more fruit and veggies. I already eat plenty of them, but I love me my fruits and veggies. Thanks in advance.

I like combining endive and stone fruit (plums or nectarines preferably), but my advice is to experiment wildly and see how you go.

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Also, shin splints can be mitigated by not pounding the pavement and also stretching on the regular.

I normally just do a few calf and ankle stretches and such before I go out.

I could probably be doing a bit more though.

It's something that goes with time too. I used to get major splints just walking three blocks. A few years later they've all but vanished.

What helped sometimes for me, is when I got them in the middle of a walk is I would change my walking style. By that I mean I would change from the normal, heel to toe style and put my feet down toes first. It feels like you're walking super strangely but it's actually not that noticeable, and more often than not it greatly lessened the pain and sometimes it went away totally. This is just for walking though, don't try jogging like that.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Falx wrote: »
    Also, shin splints can be mitigated by not pounding the pavement and also stretching on the regular.

I normally just do a few calf and ankle stretches and such before I go out.

I could probably be doing a bit more though.

It's something that goes with time too. I used to get major splints just walking three blocks. A few years later they've all but vanished.

What helped sometimes for me, is when I got them in the middle of a walk is I would change my walking style. By that I mean I would change from the normal, heel to toe style and put my feet down toes first. It feels like you're walking super strangely but it's actually not that noticeable, and more often than not it greatly lessened the pain and sometimes it went away totally. This is just for walking though, don't try jogging like that.

Actually I tend to do that already unless I am paying attention to how I'm walking really carefully like when I go out specifically for exercise.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Part of my new fitness adventure is getting back into towards where I was a year ago before I took on this 10 hour sitting a day job. Not in too terrible a shape since I kept the diet pretty clean, but I'm in the middle of a PT program now for my knee, so that rules out running.

On the plus side, I can FINALLY do a body weight squat again! God dang friend, I missed you.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Back bends are getting easier, hooray.

Downward dog is not, I have the world's stiffest calves!

Liiya on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a hill sprint workout? I've got access to good hills at solid angles both long and short within a 5 minute jog of my front door and I'm thinking of focusing on some interval sprints there as I start running again. The C25K is fine but I just don't feel motivated by it really.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Wait, why are you telling Uriel a flat 2k calories will work for him when his weight is 350? Isn't that pretty solidly below his base metabolic burn even if all be did was lay in bed all day?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    cabsy wrote: »
    Wait, why are you telling Uriel a flat 2k calories will work for him when his weight is 350? Isn't that pretty solidly below his base metabolic burn even if all be did was lay in bed all day?

It's a good place to start. After a couple weeks you can adjust based on the results. Now this is with the Caveat that everybody is different, but at 350lbs and eating 2000 calories I would lose 2-4lbs a week, and that was with working pretty hard in the gym and walking many miles at work. I ended up with a sweet spot of about 2200 calories, where I wouldn't be crazy hungry all day.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    webguy20 wrote: »

It's a good place to start. After a couple weeks you can adjust based on the results. Now this is with the Caveat that everybody is different, but at 350lbs and eating 2000 calories I would lose 2-4lbs a week, and that was with working pretty hard in the gym and walking many miles at work. I ended up with a sweet spot of about 2200 calories, where I wouldn't be crazy hungry all day.

Actually I'm already almost down to 345, I started on like the 27th of last month.

At first I was at closer to 5 or 6 lbs/week week, and I haven't gotten super hungry or anything. Now I think at the end of this week its closer to 3-4 lbs/week.

I haven't started working out on the regular yet, but have been much more active around the house doing pretty heavy duty spring cleaning and such.

Mind you I am also still on Concerta, bassically ER Ritalin, without those I am not sure I could handle so few calories for very long, probably, but I'd deal with more hunger pangs and lower energy.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options

Actually I'm already almost down to 345, I started on like the 27th of last month.

At first I was at closer to 5 or 6 lbs/week week, and I haven't gotten super hungry or anything. Now I think at the end of this week its closer to 3-4 lbs/week.

I haven't started working out on the regular yet, but have been much more active around the house doing pretty heavy duty spring cleaning and such.

Mind you I am also still on Concerta, bassically ER Ritalin, without those I am not sure I could handle so few calories for very long, probably, but I'd deal with more hunger pangs and lower energy.

Sounds like you are doing great. 3-4lbs a week is pretty normal for someone over 300lbs. Not good for the long term but for a few dozen pounds it won't hurt anything.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

The hardest part of any exercise routine is just getting started, tracking your progress, and being consistent. Once you get into the habit of it, it becomes much, much easier.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I've been noticing that in the past few years I've been slowly packing on pounds. And now that I'm off of work for maternity leave, I've found myself being rather lazy, and eating snack food constantly.

So, I spurged and bought a fitbit, and even if it's not the most accurate thing ever (No, massaging baby lotion into Mini Muzz doesn't count as a step, fitbit), the fitbit app for diet is awesome. I can type in something, and it brings up brands of the food I ate, which makes me choose my food more carefully. So now I eat carrot sticks/apples for snacks, and limit myself to one 'bad' item per day. It's pretty good for casual exercise as well. It taps into my inner gamer with the 'scores', such as heart rate, steps taken, etc.

Only issue is that when I take mini-muzz out for a walk with the stroller, the position of my wrist convinces fitbit I'm biking.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    ugh i haven't been able to gym in like 2 weeks because of life craziness and i'm dying as a result

i just want my life to be normal so i can gym again

i am just so fucking tired of this shit

i just want hugs

poo
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    I've been noticing that in the past few years I've been slowly packing on pounds. And now that I'm off of work for maternity leave, I've found myself being rather lazy, and eating snack food constantly.

So, I spurged and bought a fitbit, and even if it's not the most accurate thing ever (No, massaging baby lotion into Mini Muzz doesn't count as a step, fitbit), the fitbit app for diet is awesome. I can type in something, and it brings up brands of the food I ate, which makes me choose my food more carefully. So now I eat carrot sticks/apples for snacks, and limit myself to one 'bad' item per day. It's pretty good for casual exercise as well. It taps into my inner gamer with the 'scores', such as heart rate, steps taken, etc.

Only issue is that when I take mini-muzz out for a walk with the stroller, the position of my wrist convinces fitbit I'm biking.

I keep my misfit on my ankle, I find the accuracy is much better. Might be worth a shot.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Unfortunatly, I have very tiny wrists, but normal ankles, so, my fitbit doesn't... fit.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    My wife wields the shopping cart with one hand so the fitbit counts her steps

I find it hilarious when she tells me about it. I also catch her pacing to hit an arbitrary number so somebody doesn't beat her on her weekly challenges with friends

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Running on my lunch breaks is going pretty well! I'm limited by time, which is unfortunate, but I'm basically able to burn off lunch everyday which is nice. Currently at about 2.5 miles after a 5 minute warmup walk, 30 min run, and 5 min cooldown.

Today I'm also going to start my M/W/F strength training routine after work.

I think I need a fitbit now though, since I really need a decent heart rate monitor. I know you can buy cheaper things that do the same thing, but @sheri and I are also kicking around the idea of buying a new bed, so I'm also very interested in the sleep monitoring functionality.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Is it worth keeping track of macros in addition to calories for general diets/working out? If so is there a good app for it

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Is it worth keeping track of macros in addition to calories for general diets/working out? If so is there a good app for it

My fitness pal works but you have to put some effort to make sure the items you are loading into it are set up correctly.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    ugh i haven't been able to gym in like 2 weeks because of life craziness and i'm dying as a result

i just want my life to be normal so i can gym again

i am just so fucking tired of this shit

i just want hugs

I got unlimited hugs, available to you for the low low cost of free

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

I had decent luck using stuff like MyFitnessPal just to sort of get an idea of what was going in my face when I started out. I wouldn't say I felt the tracking was a key part, but it did make me go "... oh" a couple times when I realised exactly how much fat/salt/sugar was in the thing I'd just eaten and thought nothing of. So in that respect it was neat/handy.

I'll defer to others on the existence of actual "utility". I just had no idea what I was eating, so tracking it to a degree was educational.

• Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »

I had decent luck using stuff like MyFitnessPal just to sort of get an idea of what was going in my face when I started out. I wouldn't say I felt the tracking was a key part, but it did make me go "... oh" a couple times when I realised exactly how much fat/salt/sugar was in the thing I'd just eaten and thought nothing of. So in that respect it was neat/handy.

I'll defer to others on the existence of actual "utility". I just had no idea what I was eating, so tracking it to a degree was educational.

I am a big fan of cronometer; I have never used myfitnesspal enough to compare but cronometer lets me easily copy another days data (useful because I make my lunch and dinner for the week every sunday), has a pretty good database of food, and what it it doesnt have you can either scan in using the items barcode or just manually punch it in yourself.

I've used it for about a year now, I set a calorie goal, then split that in protein/carbs/fats and eat accordingly.

This is what a typical gym day looks like for me in terms of calorie intake.

(I am 5'7 and roughly 167lb)

ge2i63ycsu5w.png

• Options
    Well.

My pants were falling down a bit so I had to add another new hole to my belt.

That makes two new holes in the past month.

I think I'm just going to buy new pants and a new belt next week.

• Options
    Well.

My pants were falling down a bit so I had to add another new hole to my belt.

That makes two new holes in the past month.

I think I'm just going to buy new pants and a new belt next week.

For real good wear jeans I'm a big fan of the Lee's with the stretchable waist. They come in good cuts and are damned comfortable for a big guy like me.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I've completely moved to belts without holes in them for the last year and a half due to weight loss. Anson belts for formal occasions and your military style belts for everyday wear.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    I have a really swank recycled bike tire belt, with a fashioned length of bike chain as the buckle that someone gave me as a gift. It is pretty good for casual wearing.

• Options
    Started using myfitnesspal to track calories, trying to keep it around 1600 a day to lose weight, plus a Mon-Fri 35-40 min run and weight training 3 times a week to hopefully burn more. Shooting for a pound a week to start out.

I seriously hate running, though. Hate it. Cardio in general I don't care for. I don't mind feeling burn from lifting weights, but something about being out of breath is just a horrible, horrible feeling.

• Options
    Javen wrote: »
    Started using myfitnesspal to track calories, trying to keep it around 1600 a day to lose weight, plus a Mon-Fri 35-40 min run and weight training 3 times a week to hopefully burn more. Shooting for a pound a week to start out.

I seriously hate running, though. Hate it. Cardio in general I don't care for. I don't mind feeling burn from lifting weights, but something about being out of breath is just a horrible, horrible feeling.

Tire flips, then you can pretend its weight lifting.

• Options

Unfortunately there aren't any tires at the gym in my office

• Options

Unfortunately there aren't any tires at the gym in my office

Farmer carries?

Be like a power lifter and bring all the non-standard gym equipment with you

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular

You shouldn't be out of breath at any point. I used to make the same mistake before I learned how to run properly. General rule of thumb is that you should be able to carry on a conversation

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    hah really

not that I would say I am really capable of running but I can't go a few steps before I can't really talk.

it's so hard to get better at a thing I am awful and and hate doing. I just do see it as a negative to be literally not capable of doing it and also think that some amount of running is good even if I don't think a lot of the best way to go about exercising (to each their own, by all means, if you like it or it works for you I'm not criticizing)

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Jimothy wrote: »

You shouldn't be out of breath at any point. I used to make the same mistake before I learned how to run properly. General rule of thumb is that you should be able to carry on a conversation

I'm not gasping for air or anything. It's never been so bad where I can't talk while running, but I'll still feel winded afterwards.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Unless you have a specific goal I wouldn't do exercise types that you hate.
    Chances of keeping it up are pretty slim.
    You're probably better of trying to find something that you can at least tolerate, if not enjoy.
    There are other cardio options, like stationary bikes (which let you watch stuff), or swimming or rowing machines.
    The most important part is being active. If you have more time, just go for walks.

If you do keep up running, recovery is pretty much the first that comes. I run right on the edge of being out of breath once or twice a week (That is where you gain speed if you can maintain but it is hard to keep up) and it takes me less then two minutes to pretty much recover from a 5k. (Which takes me 23 minutes)

Muscles grow by being damaged and being triggered to regrow stronger, this creates the soreness especially if you are doing progressive training.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Working hard in the gym and watching what I eat, I'm already at 203 from 210 in only a week. Long term goal is 180.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    SanderJK wrote: »
    You're probably better of trying to find something that you can at least tolerate, if not enjoy.
    There are other cardio options, like stationary bikes (which let you watch stuff), or swimming or rowing machines.
    The most important part is being active. If you have more time, just go for walks.

If you do keep up running, recovery is pretty much the first that comes. I run right on the edge of being out of breath once or twice a week (That is where you gain speed if you can maintain but it is hard to keep up) and it takes me less then two minutes to pretty much recover from a 5k. (Which takes me 23 minutes)

Muscles grow by being damaged and being triggered to regrow stronger, this creates the soreness especially if you are doing progressive training.

I thought about stationary/recumbent bikes, but since I'm going for higher intensity right now, I'm not really wild about exercises where you only move your lower body. At least on the treadmill I get more of a full body motion. And it has a spot where I can lay my tablet so I can watch episodes of Good Eats. Once I hit closer to my target weight I might ease up a bit, or try something else. I wish we had a pool nearby, since I'd love to use that, especially in Florida.

And as for pace, I think that's about where I'm at. I feel winded while I'm running, but once I stop I'm not really in a rush to catch my breath, nor do I really want to collapse. It doesn't really produce lasting effects.

I started weight training a few days ago, and everything has recovered except for my arms. So I'm stuck doing legs/crunches until they stop being so sore.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »

I thought about stationary/recumbent bikes, but since I'm going for higher intensity right now, I'm not really wild about exercises where you only move your lower body. At least on the treadmill I get more of a full body motion. And it has a spot where I can lay my tablet so I can watch episodes of Good Eats. Once I hit closer to my target weight I might ease up a bit, or try something else. I wish we had a pool nearby, since I'd love to use that, especially in Florida.

And as for pace, I think that's about where I'm at. I feel winded while I'm running, but once I stop I'm not really in a rush to catch my breath, nor do I really want to collapse. It doesn't really produce lasting effects.

I started weight training a few days ago, and everything has recovered except for my arms. So I'm stuck doing legs/crunches until they stop being so sore.

you're gonna hate me for this but

burpees?

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Also working out through the soreness is beneficial. Unless you're crippled up t-rex arms

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Also working out through the soreness is beneficial. Unless you're crippled up t-rex arms

And soreness typically goes away or at least eases as your muscles warm up during a workout.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
This discussion has been closed.