As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fitness and Weight Management

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I know people go on about CHURCH OF THE SQUAT for good reason. But doing it at higher weights is bugging my tendinitis. Where as with Leg Press, I can get plenty sore and not have to worry as much about form. The methodology there makes sense right?

What do you mean by bugging your tendinitis

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Well my right arm doesn't feel like anything this morning but woof my left arm.

It'll be a while till your muscles even out in strength.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Also known as the jerkin' equilibrium

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Paladin wrote: »
    I know people go on about CHURCH OF THE SQUAT for good reason. But doing it at higher weights is bugging my tendinitis. Where as with Leg Press, I can get plenty sore and not have to worry as much about form. The methodology there makes sense right?

What do you mean by bugging your tendinitis

Well, it hurts in my knee when I drop below parallel in the Gracilis Tendon. Next to the patella, not as part of the structure of the knee. I'm still rehabbing, doing step ups and step downs. I can't, for example, hold my leg in position bent and flex forward without it hurting at least a little. It's been like that for the last few months. It's getting better, but I'm not quite there yet.

When I leg press though, it doesn't hurt at all. Go figure.

bursae-in-the-knee.jpg

I'm training out other muscle imbalances which contributed to it from my job. Long hours sitting and driving means my right calf, glute and hip flexor are way, way stronger than my left.

If there's a squat variation, I'm certainly open to hearing it.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I don't think anyone means a variation, I think Meth means change the way you squat so it doesn't snap your shit. Feet out, feet in, watch knee tracking, etc.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Woo bowling! Best game ever, 149.

30 minutes, 2 games. SPEED BOWLING!

Still not sure if I'm tracking it right, but no biggie. Humorously, my heart rate never really went above 100-110, but walking up the stairs to my 3rd floor apartment with my 15lbs bowling ball spiked it to 121.

The thing that struck me the most was how tired I was by the second game. I was getting sloppier as a result of fatigue setting in. This makes me think I need to figure out an exercise routine that will help with that. I also wonder if there are exercises I can do with my 15 lbs bowling ball to help.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Also holy shit why are Mozzarella sticks so good and yet so horrible for you?!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Today, 30 mins on the treadmill, 2.9 mph, 3.5 degree incline. The guy on the elliptical next to me made me very jealous. :) Heart rate stayed around 120-130bpm. I was chafing afterwards, which makes me think I need better workout clothes. Cotton everything sucks, jeans moreso.
    Tube wrote: »
    So here's how you start: get a set of dumbbells, weight doesn't matter at first. Lie down on a bench and hold the dumbbells at your sides. Press them up and in so that your arms are extended and the dumbbells are nearly touching. Do that ten times. Rest a minute or so, then pick up the next biggest dumbbell. Keep doing this until you find a weight that you can't get ten repetitions with. That's you working weight. Next session, try and get 4 sets of ten repetitions with that weight. Once you can do that, move up to the next set of dumbbells. Repeat til swole.

Then do the exact same process with a standing press, pushing the dumbbells over your head from a standing position. 4 sets of 10.

After two weeks, we'll add some other stuff.

@Tube

My apartment gym has one of those multi-workout machines where everything connects to a center weight stack. One of the items looks like a barbell bench press kind of deal, where I can push up on it at various angles from my chest.

Would this mechanism of starting strength training work with that? Or should I use one of the other exercises baked into the gym machine first? I fear that while I'm focusing a lot on cardio / my legs, my bowling game and overall health will be improved by doing some exercises for my upper body.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    yeah, don't wear jeans to workout.

Ran my first 5km since bashing my face in, was very slow. It's amazing how much a week off can set you back.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    @athenor you're going to need to find some free weights I'm afraid

• Options
    athenor you're going to need to find some free weights I'm afraid

No problem. :) I have been known for going out and buying stupid stuff, but I can get some starting equipment.

Though I don't have a bench in my apartment. Should I just borrow the apartment's once I get the free weights?

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    For addressing standard muscle soreness from weight training a little ibuprofen never hurt anyone.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I'm much better today. Though last night I had almost forgot to eat enough and ate kinda a late dinner and that didn't agree with me a few hours after bed. Ended up laying awake waiting for my heartburn meds that I haven't needed in a while to kick in. Going to get better sleep tonight since I go to the gym again tomorrow.

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    athenor you're going to need to find some free weights I'm afraid

No problem. :) I have been known for going out and buying stupid stuff, but I can get some starting equipment.

Though I don't have a bench in my apartment. Should I just borrow the apartment's once I get the free weights?

You could put some weights in a backpack and take them down there. It sounds like joining a gym might be the best idea though, you're going to hit weight limits very quickly.

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    Alright, I'm down from 289lbs last week, to 285. That's 35lbs in total. I trimmed my beard down a bit for the first time in a few months, and I can really see a difference in my face now that that's out of the way. Though the closest I've had to anyone else noticing anything was being asked at work if I was feeling OK, because I apparently looked ill.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    When I was 230lb, my face definately had jowels. I'm at 193lb, still a bit higher than I'd like, but lifting and losing weight will definitely improve your face.

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Welp, last week Monday felt the dull pain I've had in my lower back since forever suddenly flair up while trying to do seated OHP on a weight I should be able to do. Physio says it's massive inflammation of the ligaments and nerves from an old injury I never took care of. Had to lie on my back in bed for three days and now no heavy weights other than bench press for two weeks and I've got some rehab to do after he gave me the most painful massage of my life.

This on top of my Uncle dying suddenly but not unexpectedly after his incredible refusal to do literally anything healthy at all ever even though it was visibly killing him, and lots of other things means I'm stress eating like fuck and now I'm visibly fatter again.

But you know what, fuck this. New gym routine. New diet. I've got until October when I (might) see a girl again I've been talking to a lot online recently. Gonna drop this weight and then more.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    god damn I always forget how many calories are in alcohol. a cup and a half of gin (don't judge me it was spread over several hours) is 775 calories and that's before all the other shit you put in a drink like rhubarb syrup and lime juice or blended watermelon. obviously that's not an everyday situation for me but sheesh.

(also rhubarb gimlets are fucking amazing fyi)

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Ay booze is the devil for calories

And also the desire to consume more calories of the greasy kind

poo
  • Options
    When I drink, which is rarely.

I only do one shot worth or so.

Mostly cause I'm a lightweight, but it does help keep the boozy calories down.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Ay booze is the devil for calories

And also the desire to consume more calories of the greasy kind

that at least isn't a problem I have so much, we had grilled chicken breast tacos with guac and salad mix and honestly the booze was so sweet we also skipped dessert but damn the majority of my calories yesterday were booze or booze adjacent like fruit and mixers

but like yesterday morning on food network we saw a chick stick an immersion blender into a whole watermelon and I mean, were we not going to try that?

cabsy on
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Myfitnesspal has the issue that it's going to automatically generate some intensely stupid suggestions

@Tube whats a good way to calculate macros? I've been using the macro tracker app from MFP but if its dogshit i'd rather calculate better ones

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    You mean like calculate what macros you're eating, or what macros you should be eating?

• Options
    I wish I had taken before pictures.

I'm down almost 50 lbs so far but yesterday I started to get all mopey about my appearance again.

• Options

I'm down almost 50 lbs so far but yesterday I started to get all mopey about my appearance again.

It's a poison dude, it happens to us all. Just remember that mopiness isn't helping, it's just the dumb part of your brain punching you for trying to do something new.

It's a marathon, not a sprint. 50lbs is an incredible, notable, concrete achievement that no one can deny. No one did it but you. You are 100% responsible, and you should feel like a badass for it before you move on to the next challenge.

• Options

here's the thing dude. just losing weight isn't like a magical love-yourself button. like I'm not saying you should give up on losing weight if that's what you want! I'm saying try to put in some effort toward liking yourself no matter what you look like. because that'll also help you be more successful in maintaining healthy behaviors and such - being down on yourself will just push you towards self-destructive behaviors.

• Options
    You mean like calculate what macros you're eating, or what macros you should be eating?

should be, keeping track is the easy bit

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options

should be, keeping track is the easy bit

I don't really have a particular calculator that I use, I just treat it like an experiment. Like, say the hypothesis is "2000 calories with x amount of protein, carbs and fat will cause me to lose body fat", I do that for four weeks. If at the end it's worked, I carry on. If not, I test a different hypothesis. 2000 calories is a pretty good set point for most people to start experimenting on because chances are it isn't so little that it'll cause you problems, and not so much that you'll gain a huge amount if it turns out to be too high. Once you have a calorie figure, just dick around with the macros based on how well you respond to carbs. I mostly look at carbs and protein and use fat to make up the difference, but I keep my protein higher than most do.

That's probably not a super useful answer, sorry. It's just how I approach it. It's led to me learning some important lessons like "dropping to 1400 calories is dumb and will fuck you up" that don't necessarily apply to everyone.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    So I've started doing an excercise regimen. Vis a vis stuff I talked about in the late, great trans thread I've been thinking a lot and I want to have an image of myself that like and irregardless of the complicated questions I think a simpler part of that is to get fit for once in my life. Also volunteering at a hospital you get to see example after example of what eventually happens when people don't take care of their health? (And my heart goes out to those folks, cause it often isn't pretty.)

I looked up a lot of stuff about how to start exercising and I've kind of got a plan:
    1. Two days a week (I only have two days a week where I'm free in the mornings, and where I live it frequently gets higher than ninety degrees by noon this time of year.) I'm gonna jog.
    2. Five days a week doing a 'light' core exercise routine with lots of stretches before. (On the bad side, I can tell how out of shape I am because of how much this routine tires me out. Plus side, I can really feel it working and also I don't think it's likely I'll pull anything?)
    3. One day a week of strength training to improve my spindly baby arms.
    4. Stop being a picky goddamn baby and get on a better diet. I don't have weight problems, or even blood pressure problems, but my diet is awful and I can't just hope to keep dodging those bullets. (I'm still working on what I want to change, diet wise.)

Anyway just wanted to post this here so I can use the power of PEER PRESSURE to not be lazy.

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I went and grabbed my old weight set from my Mum's house today. I haven't used this stuff since I stopped playing rugby, which was over 15 years ago. It all still seems fine. Couldn't find all the parts for the bench though, I was sure they were all in the loft. I don't really have the room for it anyway. I didn't do much, just a bit to see how much I could handle after all this time. 3 sets of 20 curls, shoulder presses, and french curls on each arm with the 10lb weights on was as much as I could handle. I think if I'd tried 25 a set, I'd have failed the last one.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    The campus rec center is $80 for summer, $120 for fall or spring...

that isn't terribly bad, considering I think I was paying a discounted $40-50 a month before last time I had a gym membership...

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    While I haven't noticed a big difference in appearance so far, I've noticed a pretty big difference in performance since I've started working out

A futon I had a ton of trouble moving before felt ridiculously light today by comparison

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    While I haven't noticed a big difference in appearance so far, I've noticed a pretty big difference in performance since I've started working out

A futon I had a ton of trouble moving before felt ridiculously light today by comparison

You know that sit/stand test that made its way around the Internet a little while back? For those that don't:
    1. Stand in comfortable clothes in your bare feet, with clear space around you.

2. Without leaning on anything, lower yourself to a sitting position on the floor.

3. Now stand back up, trying not to use your hands, knees, forearms or sides of your legs.

Scoring
    The two basic movements in the sitting-rising test — lowering to the floor and standing back up — are each scored on a 1-to-5 scale, with one point subtracted each time a hand or knee is used for support and 0.5 points subtracted for loss of balance; this yields a single 10-point scale.
    I was getting a 6 or so a few months ago. Now 10 is easy.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Not sure that I would ever really suggest it, but I was just reading about the "enemas and rectal nutrition liquid diet."

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    LTM wrote: »
    Not sure that I would ever really suggest it, but I was just reading about the "enemas and rectal nutrition liquid diet."

Unless medically required I think I'll pass!

Now I'm having flashbacks of that southpark episode. Eughh.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Leg day... Glad I went in though.

Also just realized I forgot to copy the plan thing.

• Options
    LTM wrote: »
    I've had to take an enema (been on one a month and I'll be on it about another month. not for a serious medical probem) for rectal colitis. It's not really painful or anything, but you will feel like you need to shit regardless of what kind of enema you're taking.

• Options
    Oh and yeah I'm gonna have to cut that five day a week excercise to every other day a week exercise or else my stomach and thighs are gonna explode.

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Anybody know how accurate the Fitbit calorie tracker is?

Because this seems off

6w81lt06ebq2.png

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I never trust calorie tracking for exercise from anyone.

I basically set a diet goal for calories in, and then calories out are whatever they end up being.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
This discussion has been closed.