Options

Fitness and Weight Management

• Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    I lost about 70 and my cholesterol is still just slightly above the normal range and so every time I get blood work my doctor tells me to lay off the fried food

Dogg how do you think I lost 70 pounds

• Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    Thanks, it has been a long and difficult road. Lurking in this forum has really helped me along the way, so thanks for that.

When I started weighing myself I was at 285, but I had already started watching my calories for a couple of weeks before that. My weigh in day is tomorrow, but I expect to be around 180, hence the around 110. Taking a long hard look at what I put into my face and counting calories is what did it.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I need suggestions of vegetables that I can bake and pair with some sort of sauce, even if it's ranch or butter. I'm just trying to find a way to trick my gag reflex so I can eat some vegetables, since normally their texture means I literally cannot swallow them without bringing them right back up.

Madican on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Like, all veg ever? Because there's a plethora of different textures out there, whether cooked or raw.

• Options
    Pretty much anything squishy/slimy or breaks apart into super-tiny pieces like broccoli gets violently rejected if I try to swallow it. The vegetables I know I can eat are things like cabbage (and other leafy greens), carrots, onions, celery, and zucchini when fried (I can try baking this). They're all mostly crunchy textures, which I can do just fine, with the zucchini being an exception because fried zucchini is just delicious.

• Options
    Randy ButternubbsRandy Butternubbs Registered User regular
    Hey, do you guys have any tips on how to keep leafy greens fresher for longer? I keep buying spinnach trying to be healthy, but the last third of the bag always just ends up thrown away because it starts to get all nastified.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Hey, do you guys have any tips on how to keep leafy greens fresher for longer? I keep buying spinnach trying to be healthy, but the last third of the bag always just ends up thrown away because it starts to get all nastified.

Try to get the greens with the latest expy date, and use bag clips

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    We've done a roasted vegetable thing with brussels sprouts, mushrooms, fennel, and some garlic cloves; you cut everything up, throw it in a bowl with some olive oil and salt, toss it to coat, and throw it in a 400 degree oven for 30-45 minutes (depending on how dark you want everything, the darker the better for me). How you cook things makes a huge difference for the texture, maybe you just need to cook your veg differently?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    RedDawn wrote: »
    Thanks, it has been a long and difficult road. Lurking in this forum has really helped me along the way, so thanks for that.

When I started weighing myself I was at 285, but I had already started watching my calories for a couple of weeks before that. My weigh in day is tomorrow, but I expect to be around 180, hence the around 110. Taking a long hard look at what I put into my face and counting calories is what did it.

wow, I went from 280 to 199

but unlike you, I'm back up to 220 =(

congrats man!

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    We've done a roasted vegetable thing with brussels sprouts, mushrooms, fennel, and some garlic cloves; you cut everything up, throw it in a bowl with some olive oil and salt, toss it to coat, and throw it in a 400 degree oven for 30-45 minutes (depending on how dark you want everything, the darker the better for me). How you cook things makes a huge difference for the texture, maybe you just need to cook your veg differently?

Yeah, I'm looking at baking some of them to see how that turns out, since I've had most vegetables steamed and that's just not appetizing. What also works is when I can mask the veggies with rest of the meal, like stuffing a chicken.

• Options
    Paladin wrote: »

Or don't buy prepackaged greens

It's marginally more convenient and always older than buying fresh and chopping then yourself

• Options
    Usagi wrote: »
    Paladin wrote: »

Or don't buy prepackaged greens

It's marginally more convenient and always older than buying fresh and chopping then yourself

It is super convenient for my style of dining which is grabbing things out of bags and stuffing them in my face, but yeah if you're not a slob that stuff lasts a while

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Really, I don't worry
    Xaquin wrote: »

congrats man!

Someone I talked to told me its always good to lose a little under what your target weight is.

As you'll gain like 10-20lbs once your body restabilzes itself.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Pretty much anything squishy/slimy or breaks apart into super-tiny pieces like broccoli gets violently rejected if I try to swallow it. The vegetables I know I can eat are things like cabbage (and other leafy greens), carrots, onions, celery, and zucchini when fried (I can try baking this). They're all mostly crunchy textures, which I can do just fine, with the zucchini being an exception because fried zucchini is just delicious.

Is broccoli a problem because it's squishy? Because it doesn't have to be squishy. You can roast crispy crunchy broccoli, or eat it raw

Not that I'm like, all must eat broccoli or else!! It's just an easy really available cheap veggie and if you can eat it if it isn't smushy I'd hate to see you lose out

• Options
    cabsy wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »

Is broccoli a problem because it's squishy? Because it doesn't have to be squishy. You can roast crispy crunchy broccoli, or eat it raw

Not that I'm like, all must eat broccoli or else!! It's just an easy really available cheap veggie and if you can eat it if it isn't smushy I'd hate to see you lose out

Broccoli's a problem because those tree things, whatever they're called, break apart into tiny pieces. I can eat the trunk fine, just not the "leafy" part.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Really, I don't worry

congrats man!

Someone I talked to told me its always good to lose a little under what your target weight is.

My target was 185 =P

I'll get there. Eventually.

the biggest problem I face is being a single parent with a full time job.

By the time I get home from work, get dinner ready, go over homework, clean, and do the bath-pjs-bedtime story routine, it's after 8:00 and I can't go walking or whatever.

I'd LOVE an exercise bike, but it's not in the budget currently.

It's ok though, it'll happen.

• Options
    Randy ButternubbsRandy Butternubbs Registered User regular
    Really, I don't worry

congrats man!

My target was 185 =P

By the time I get home from work, get dinner ready, go over homework, clean, and do the bath-pjs-bedtime story routine, it's after 8:00 and I can't go walking or whatever.

Jumprope is a decent dirt cheep way to get some activity in

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    If you regain 20lbs, it's not because your body stabilised, it's because you fucked something up. Ideally a diet doesn't really end, it just becomes a lifestyle that you adhere to. People might see a rebound of water weight if they eat carbs after becoming depleted, but that's about it.

• Options
    Really, I don't worry

congrats man!

My target was 185 =P

Jumprope is out. I have really bad feet and that kind of impact would kill me
    Tube wrote: »
    If you regain 20lbs, it's not because your body stabilised, it's because you fucked something up. Ideally a diet doesn't really end, it just becomes a lifestyle that you adhere to. People might see a rebound of water weight if they eat carbs after becoming depleted, but that's about it.

oh yeah, I totally fucked my diet. after almost a year of failing at online dating I just kind of stopped caring about stuff. Now I'm trying to get back in the swing of things!

• Options
    Jump rope isn't so great when you live in an apartment that's not on ground floor. I do have some resistance bands though, so I'll be looking up some exercises using those.

• Options
    Really, I don't worry

congrats man!

My target was 185 =P

Jumprope is out. I have really bad feet and that kind of impact would kill me

oh yeah, I totally fucked my diet. after almost a year of failing at online dating I just kind of stopped caring about stuff. Now I'm trying to get back in the swing of things!

I wasn't talking about you specifically, just the general idea of a rebound being that serious. Glad you're getting back into it!

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2015

I think it depends on what kind of diet you were using.

Personally, I've kept a realistic diet just because more than exercise I knew I had to change what I eat. That said some folks are more intense with it.

And, if we're being real. Most people who do these 2000 cal and/or heavy exercise diets and don't crash during still slow things down once they've reached their goal. So some weight gain isn't that unrealistic.

20lbs is a bit high though.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Also. The woman I talked to went from being 375 to 200 lbs in 2 years.

She finally settled on 220 cause she said that's what was most comfortable for her. Not sure if she "fucked up" persay.

• Options
    Unless she's 6'5 a diet that led to her being 220lbs fucked up in some sense. Sorry to be blunt, but that wouldn't be a healthy weight for me and I'm a 6' male. 220lbs is still likely to lead to blood pressure worries and joint pain. It's a lot better than 375, and that kind of weight loss is to be applauded, but it's not an end point.

• Options
    Jesus Tube, I know I'm not the paragon of fitness but that's not much more than I weigh

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Unless she's 6'5 a diet that led to her being 220lbs fucked up in some sense. Sorry to be blunt, but that wouldn't be a healthy weight for me and I'm a 6' male. 220lbs is still likely to lead to blood pressure worries and joint pain. It's a lot better than 375, and that kind of weight loss is to be applauded, but it's not an end point.

She's 6'1 heavy frame and she's black as I am. We tend to have a bit more weight on us on average and most recommended weight scales don't take that into account.

Like me for instance. I'm 310 lbs and I'm overweight but by all calculations I sure be around 40+% body fat. But I'm actually closer to around 30%. My healthy fit weight is like 250-ish lbs.

Hell, I had to stop going to doctors cause they couldn't agree on my weight range.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Usagi wrote: »
    Jesus Tube, I know I'm not the paragon of fitness but that's not much more than I weigh

I'm not trying to make you feel bad about that, I'm really not. That doesn't mean we should deny the fact that 220lbs is a weight that for most people is going to lead to long term health concerns. There's no moral judgment attached to it, and anyone who attempts to attach a moral value to weight is a shithead. It doesn't help people though, to pretend that a diet that leads to a woman stabilising at 220lbs (roughly 100kg) is a great success.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    This photo was taken about two weeks after my jaws were unwired shut and thus after six weeks of liquid diet. The lowest my weight's been in my adult life

IMG_20140307_093627_zpse324bb220.jpg

I also weighted 230 pounds

Psykoma on
  • Options
    I weigh 230 at 6'5" but that means nothing. What matters is that most of it is fat, not muscle, which is why I'm hesitant whenever weight as a standard is discussed.

• Options
    If my post causes anyone to feel ashamed of their weight, I profoundly apologise. I don't think anyone should be ashamed of their weight, I want to help people with realistic advice if, and only if, they want to make changes themselves.

• Options
    Yeah. People have very different shapes so I don't think it's as set in stone as you're making it to be.

Like I would look damn near like a twig at 200lbs.

• Options
    Yeah. People have very different shapes so I don't think it's as set in stone as you're making it to be.

That's why I made allowances for height. If you're 5'6 and not seriously jacked, 200lbs is likely to be an unhealthy weight.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Roughly 215

Usagi on
  • Options
    Honestly I don't think I'll be paying attention to weight at all when I resume exercising next week. My metric for success will be this damn belly I've developed and how much I can shrink it. The arms, legs, and all other muscle groups will also be welcome but really this gut needs to go.

• Options
    Note that I would never claim that there's any weight or body type that should not be considered beautiful, or that anyone's idea of beauty should take precedence over one's own feelings.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Qlqqa

That's why I made allowances for height. If you're 5'6 and not seriously jacked, 200lbs is likely to be an unhealthy weight.

Like I'm not going to post pictures of her as I respect her privacy but I assure you at 220 lbs she has an average female build with maybe a bit extra.

She could be thinner, yeah. But 200 lbs is about right for her.

But this is why I'm iffy about these weight ranges cause like I said they don't take into account racial differences.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    To go back to daily calories and stuff, what I found useful was tracking it weekly. I had daily goals and tried to undershoot them during the week by like 50-100 calories, then if someone wanted to have a couple beers on the weekend I could "splurge" on unhealthy food but still hit my weekly limit.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    What's being talked about is overall morbidity and mortality. For white, Hispanic and black people, >25 is at least overweight. For Asians, it's >23, although there is literature suggesting Asians derive a mortality benefit from being in the overweight range. Dunno, literature changes.

It doesn't stop there. Abdominal obesity is where it's at, so if you're overweight but not morbidly obese, waist circumference makes your BMI risk category more valid. I'd worry less about a high BMI if your waist circumference was <102cm in men, <88cm in women, <90 in Asian men, or <80 in Asian women. If your numbers are bad in both measures, it's really up to a doctor to make the call if losing weight will add more years to your life.

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    speaking of bmi, here is a nyt article on it. Basically BMI is a good indicator for ~85% of people

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/projects/cp/summer-of-science-2015/latest/how-often-is-bmi-misleading?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    Gosh I love it when people talk about my body as a depersonalized thing

This discussion has been closed.