Options

Fitness and Weight Management

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    things that I have found BMI useful for

Getting my midwife to send me for glucose testing a whole 3 months earlier than is considered normal. Now I know that I have the gestational diabetes and I have over 4 months to deal with it, keep it in control which is the best thing for me and my baby.

Yeah, that's about it. But it was definitely useful for that!

On another note:

Does anybody have any suggestions for how to make water not boring. Other than tea and adding lemon juice. I am just getting so very very tired of water.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    things that I have found BMI useful for

Getting my midwife to send me for glucose testing a whole 3 months earlier than is considered normal. Now I know that I have the gestational diabetes and I have over 4 months to deal with it, keep it in control which is the best thing for me and my baby.

Yeah, that's about it. But it was definitely useful for that!

On another note:

Does anybody have any suggestions for how to make water not boring. Other than tea and adding lemon juice. I am just getting so very very tired of water.

Have you tried cucumber water like in The Other Guys? I tried it as a joke and ... it's actually really something. Maybe it's just my consumerist brain, but it just tastes healthier. And fresh.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I super love cucumber water!

And mint is also a great addition!

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    hmm. I haven't.

is it just any cucumber? is the cucumber edible afterwards?

We're still in winter veggie prices down here and cucumbers are still about $4/each right now

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Ehh texture-wise the water makes them not so crunchy. I mean you could eat them. But it's not like MM DELICIOUS FRESH CUCUMBER.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    hmmmm.

might be worth a try.

honestly i'm doing ok with my liquid intake but i really really want not water every now and then. lol.

ahhh silly Me.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I am also a fan of soda water, mint and either a slice of lemon or blueberries but you could probably do it with regular water.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    ...Kind of wish I didn't bring that up now...

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    I like adding some sliced ginger to a jug of water in the fridge.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Dear Fitness Thread,

@Wyborn and I decided around three months ago that we'd do some cardio and shed some pounds. Being an eager beaver, Wyborn suggested we try this 8 week program to run 30 minutes nonstop.

Good grief that schedule is insane

I'm still where I should have been at the end of Week 2--namely, I'm close to finishing a 30 minute cycle of four minutes running, one minute walking. I made it 25 minutes in today (i.e. five cycles of four running, one walking). But that's more than I've been able to do before by a long leap, and so I'm celebrating my success where I can.

Annoyingly, Wyborn is a lot better at anything fitness related. On our weightlifting regime, he could increase weight nearly every time we went. For this crazy run program, he's already at ten minutes running, one minute walking. But I am proud of him anyway. :P

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    mmm soda water.

cause i likes the bubbles. they tickles my noses.

I might need to take a stop by a grocery store on my way home tomorrow and see what i can find. I have the lemons on my little lemon tree out back.

thanks for the ideas!

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I keep a couple of bottles of plain soda water in the cupboard when I'm craving (usually beer) as a tie me over for the weekend. Plus the generic brands are usually ultra cheap.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    @SilverWind tell Cam Butters says hello and congrats on the progress!

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    @Butters He's asleep right now, but will do!

D... do you two know each other? (Or did you crack the mysterious code in our NNID???)

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    best part about Stronglifts 5x5 is that on B days I just get to sit in the squat rack like an asshole for basically 15 straight sets

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    ...Kind of wish I didn't bring that up now...

No, it's absolutely fine, and just because I made a big production out of it doesn't mean your frustrations with the cross-racial application of evidence based medicine shouldn't be talked about - in fact, it illustrates further academic problems with my argument.

I'm interested in where you're getting your breakpoints for sodium intake. The last I heard, current recommendations are 2.3gm/day like Red Dawn says and (brace yourself) actually 1.5gm/day for black people of any age. Please note that this isn't table salt: sodium is sodium, but sodium chloride weighs more because of the Cl in there. 2.3gm of Na is 6gm table salt, and 1.5gm of Na is ~4gm table salt.

Paper trailing it,

You may have read the recommendations on the CDC.gov website, which parrot the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans, which say what I just said here. You might notice if you read the section that it isn't sourced; don't worry, I've sourced it for you: these recommendations come from the DASH diet trial and other studies reviewed by the Seventh Report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of high blood pressure (JNC7 for short) where you can see they go into detail on minority blood pressure recommendations on page 39. The report's evidence just links back to the DASH Diet, which if you google puts your face in a gaudy website.

Why did I do all this boring crap? Well, if you look at the DASH diet literature (which was a big african american study) you'll notice it was a short intervention - 1 month, and if you don't eat the dash diet (which is a diet high in multigrains, fruits, and lean meats), you'll see gains of -2 (eating 2.3gm sodium per day) to -7mmHg (eating 1.2gm sodium per day) in your blood pressure, assuming you are black, don't have hypertension, and are not eating a special DASH diet. You get better gains if you combine the DASH diet and salt restriction - wait, no you don't, the hell? Look at figure 2, the losses of BP from salt restriction in the regular diet are way better than the dash diet! And the text of the paper only compares the high salt control to the low salt DASH results, well no duh they'll be different. Thanks for not addressing at all that your stupid DASH diet is a stupid scam, how'd you get published in NEJM? Bastards.

Anyway, not the point, the thing is that literature has shown that high salt diet is especially bad for black people in raising blood pressure. However, 140/90 is just about everybody's cutoff unless you're old according to USPSTF (JNC8) guidelines (which again, don't mention salt at all). So really (DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE) if you're under 140/90 already and you've checked your blood pressure a bunch of different times of day and it's still under 140/90, and your salt reduction goals are too hard to comply with, well, use your brain.

PS, exciting news: The Dietary Guidelines for Americans are only published every 5 years, and guess what? The last guideline was published in 2010, which means this is the year we'll get new guidelines! Watch for this, you may not even have to worry about this crap!

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    So, I have fallen off my exercise commitment I had in 2013.

I was doing this 3-4 days a week.
    100 sit-ups
    100 crunches
    100 push-ups
    100 scissor-kicks
    100 reverse crunches
    100 leg pull-ins
    4 sets of 30-sec planks
    4 sets of 30-sec elbow planks

After that I do a variety of weights in sets of 12-10-8 and finish by running at least 5k or more.

But with a new job, stress from that new job and moving to a townhouse (and thus away from my fitness center) I fell back into my old ways...

So, I'm hoping to start exercising again. I did ten minutes of a twenty minute exercise program on the Xbox One led by Russell Wilson. It kicked my ass and my legs hurt for days, but in a good way?

I'm also trying to cut down on my week-night heavy consumption of alcohol. Today I drank 120 ounces of water and one glass of Sangria, which I am okay with for a Tuesday.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any good tips for improving extended upper body endurance?

I'm in a weird spot where I have no problem smashing out like 4 sets of 10-15 clean pull-ups, but as soon as I try to hold anything for a length of time my body just nopes out and fails.

I'm sure a climbing wall or rope would be great to help with this, but unfortunately I don't have access to either of those.

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »

I'm in a weird spot where I have no problem smashing out like 4 sets of 10-15 clean pull-ups, but as soon as I try to hold anything for a length of time my body just nopes out and fails.

I'm sure a climbing wall or rope would be great to help with this, but unfortunately I don't have access to either of those.

Maybe some isometric dumbbell holds for shoulders and upper back? Some slow negative pull-ups might be good as well.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    I suppose the real question is, why do you want to increase your upper body endurance first of all.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    strong needs no reason

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    I suppose the real question is, why do you want to increase your upper body endurance first of all.

Dirty Dancing lifts.

• Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    Speaking of weight, apparently over the last year or two I've put on weight (this is not a bad thing, I changed from a job where I was stood all day to sitting, plus age, getting over a period of being down, I like my figure a lot more now etc) and I am now exactly on the minimum to be able to give blood, which is something I've wanted to do for a long time.

However, will I actually be able to? Or will I pass out?

They do a finger prick test to determine if you're too anemic or whatever before they actually set you up for reals.

Recovery after donating blood is different for everybody, though. They'll have food and rink available after donating, so my advice would be to sit down for more time than you'd think you need, and drink lots of fluids, sugary drinks are actually better than water in this case, and snacks. Some places will even give their donors a full meal, which I would take advantage of if possible.

Thanks Javen, I've never done it before so good to know what I should take and how it works!

Good on you for planning to donate! I will say that at first glance they can seem very...choosy in regards to who they accept for donations. Anemia and iron deficiency are sine of the most common reasons, and it actually doesn't have a whole lot to do with pure bodyweight, so don't feel bad if they decide you aren't a good fit. It may be something completely out of your control.

I didn't know that, so thats a good heads up in case they do turn me down.

If you're a mud blood like me, a+, it's better to donate platelets. Which I've been putting off cause the nearest donation center for that is like an hour away. Knowing that a+ isn't hugely useful for donation took the wind out of my goal to donate the amount of blood in a human body.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    Oh fitness thread. The wife and I have been running for 40 minutes every third day. There are some Greenways around here that we explore. Accidently had a 2 hour run/walk for 9 miles cause the lake trail was bigger than we thought.

I want to move to free weights anyone have a program they recommend? I am not really versed in lifting weights and don't want to do an uneven program.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I should probably know my blood type huh

Cuz I do not

poo
  • Options
    I should probably know my blood type huh

Cuz I do not

Donating blood is a good way to find out!

• Options
    I always donate and then forget to call and find out

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    If it is through the red cross you can make an account on their website to see what type you are. It will list all your donations and there's an app as well.

Phasen on
  • Options
    You can make teams and compete for donations against other teams.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    My guess would be that your grip and forearms are your weak points. The typical way to strengthen both, in a gym, is to deadlift using a double overhand grip. If you can't deadlift, the alternatives (from http://ironmind.com) tend to be:
    1250-14_f.jpg1313-11_f.jpg1248H-11_f.jpg
    The Captains of Crush grips are pretty much the gold standard in grip / hand strength training. I would start out with the T and 0.5 models, about 100 lbs and 120 lbs respectively.
    The barbell loading pin strengthens forearms by rolling the end with your wrist, when loaded with dumbbell weights. Attach a pinch grip to it, and you'll strengthen your grip as well.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    What about that spiny gyroscope ball I saw in REI

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular

To be honest there's not really any substantial reason. It's mainly out of annoyance at it being my weakest area.

@hsu Thanks. I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of the problem, as I sometimes have grip strength issue with my deadlifts. I'll look into it.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    hsu Thanks. I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of the problem, as I sometimes have grip strength issue with my deadlifts. I'll look into it.
    Since you can deadlift, try that first, double overhand style. You'll deadlift a LOT less weight than normal (mine is 100 lbs less than a mixed grip), but you'll definitely feel it working your forearms and hands.

The alternative is that your shoulders are your weak point, but I can't help you with that one, as my shoulders are my weak point.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Dear Fitness Thread,

@Wyborn and I decided around three months ago that we'd do some cardio and shed some pounds. Being an eager beaver, Wyborn suggested we try this 8 week program to run 30 minutes nonstop.

Good grief that schedule is insane

I'm still where I should have been at the end of Week 2--namely, I'm close to finishing a 30 minute cycle of four minutes running, one minute walking. I made it 25 minutes in today (i.e. five cycles of four running, one walking). But that's more than I've been able to do before by a long leap, and so I'm celebrating my success where I can.

Annoyingly, Wyborn is a lot better at anything fitness related. On our weightlifting regime, he could increase weight nearly every time we went. For this crazy run program, he's already at ten minutes running, one minute walking. But I am proud of him anyway. :P

Wait, week TWO is four minutes on/one off? That seems crazy. The 9 week couch to 5k program I'm doing is far more gradual than that.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Grip strength can be pretty specific. I do not get much carryover on the grippers or the block grip trainers to deadlifts. I've found thick bar deadlifts work well and barbell suitcase deadlifts work well. Ed Coan always did sets of single arm suitcase holds in the rack for 30 seconds. Or you could go for a single arm handle like the Rolling Thunder.

https://youtu.be/-febRoO0gG0?t=8m39s

And check your grip form. You don't want to wrap your hand around the bar in a death grip, but hook the bar and then close your fingers around the bar.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Yeah, I never got carryover from the crush trainers to actual lifting. What worked for me was doing double overhand deadlifts during my warmups, farmer's walks and just doing double and single arm hangs from the pull up bar. If grip is the issue it'll catch up very quickly.

• Options
    edited September 2015

To be honest there's not really any substantial reason. It's mainly out of annoyance at it being my weakest area.

@hsu Thanks. I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of the problem, as I sometimes have grip strength issue with my deadlifts. I'll look into it.

Is endurance that important to you? I mean there are all kinds of strength but endurance seems like an odd one to train in this case.

I'd work on them like any other muscle group by doing less reps but doing them with more weight. It will increase your endurance at the same time.

Blake T on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus

Is endurance that important to you? I mean there are all kinds of strength but endurance seems like an odd one to train in this case.

I'd work on them like any other muscle group by doing less reps but doing them with more weight. It will increase your endurance at the same time.

Endurance, grip and otherwise, absolutely affects strength training. I'm doing 10 sets of 10 on some grip-dependent lifts, and I doubt I have to tell you that holding over your bodyweight for a minute is something that you have to build up. My deadlifts suffered for a long time before I realised I was rushing and hurting my form because my grip was failing.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    SilverWind tell Cam Butters says hello and congrats on the progress!

Sup Butters

Keepin' fit?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Getting there. In a lot a better shape than I used to be. I can barely make out the top of my ab muscles now!

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
This discussion has been closed.