Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Fitness and Weight Management

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    The home gym is the dream, isn't it? My friend has a weight rack in his basement and he got really swole for a while to the point where none of his clothes fit him anymore.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    more that the name is rather unappetizing. but it's the kind of thing that gives you a meal with both 20 grams of protein and fiber

Mr. Buttons
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited March 7
    I went and checked out the local Y

$35 a month

Three blocks from my apartment

Dude that's like exactly how I've lost about 80 pounds in the last year or so.

My local y is just a freaking life saver (kinda literally in my case). Also, and I'm not sure if this is true for all divisions of the Y, they track every time you swipe into the place.

When I started this process I was very unsure I was going to have any success so I tracked nothing. I took no before photos, I hardly ever weighed in, and I didn't track when I started really hitting the gym in earnest. It was really awesome this past week being able to ask the front desk attendant to check my swipes to see when I started hitting the gym multiple times a week. Turns out it's been just about a year, and I'm very happy with what I've got accomplished in this year.

I think without the convenient placement of this y I would have crapped out on this whole thing way earlier. Like I walk over do my workout then walk home, the only reason I'm even hitting the locker room now is because it's literally freezing out and I can't be walking around in clothes soaked in sweat.

Sleep on
    chromdomDouglasDangerEtheaKreutzdurandal4532
  • chrishallett83chrishallett83 Hi! Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    "textured vegetable protein"

yum

my home gym cost about $20 and I think it's great. definitely easier to motivate yourself too when it's right there

I don't know if that's a sarcastic yum or not, but I love TVP as a meat substitute. Great protein source and generally has good texture you can't get with tofu. Works anywhere that you'd use ground beef and can be seasoned to match whatever it is you need it to be. I'm actually trying to find a store locally that actually carries dry bags rather than these frozen seasoned ones

It must have gotten a SHITLOAD better than it used to be back in the 90s...

• Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    I don't recall offhand how it was in the 90s, I'd imagine commercially it was tossed in with frozen burritos and the such and treated as a cheap filler/extender though. Shelf stable stuff I've had has had good texture quality, but by itself is bland and plain as you'd expect from plain defatted soy. Seems to take up flavor just as well as it needs to, worked wonderfully as a ground beef substitute in chili. I dunno, I'd consider it to be the same as seitan, terrible on its own but delicious if seasoned and treated right.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I'm still fencing, still feel like I'm making no progress but I apparently am.

Yesterday's game was to stab my tutor between his finger and thumb when he had his hand placed on his chest. Thankfully I didn't miss at any point, little stuff like that is good fun.

DouglasDangerchromdomchrishallett83cabsySlacker71manwiththemachinegun
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

Liiyachrishallett83Slacker71NeoToma
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if this is entirely on topic, but I've recently bought a foam roller, and I'm pretty excited about what this thing seems to be capable of. It seems clear that it's easy to do more harm than good with it however, and I've had a hard time finding any really good tutorials on the subject. Does anyone have any tips?

edited March 7
    30 seconds to 1 min per muscle you're stretching. You can repeat a few times as needed. As much pressure as you can stand without grimmacing in pain or holding your breath. Both of those are bad. Other than that, have fun. A few trigger points are lying side ways and getting into the lats, and hamstrings, quads, and hip pelvis complex.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is entirely on topic, but I've recently bought a foam roller, and I'm pretty excited about what this thing seems to be capable of. It seems clear that it's easy to do more harm than good with it however, and I've had a hard time finding any really good tutorials on the subject. Does anyone have any tips?

http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/downloads/SMR-manual.pdf

Should have everything to get you started

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    So much for joining the Y this week

I play games on ps3 and ps4. My PSN is DouglasDanger.
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

Also, there's limited to no real evidence that myofascial release is a real thing and that foam rollers aren't just self massage. But the good news is: self massage is really beneficial anyway! So, just use the foam roller to give yourself a nice massage all over.

What is this I don't even.
    Whatever you want to call it, foam rolling will never hurt*

*provided you're not already injured or using something that is too hard

JyardanaSlacker71
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    fuck you, knee, I'm going for a run and you can't stop me.

(I may not return).

manwiththemachinegun
  • Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    fuck you, knee, I'm going for a run and you can't stop me.

(I may not return).

Just return without the knee - problem solved!

tynic
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Wife did having an operation next week and isn't going to be able to do more than walk for exercise.

Unfortunately it also coincides with her friends visiting this weekend. So the next few weeks will be bad.

On the plus side I'm feeling the thinnest I've felt for ages and clothes and getting loose. Wife has consistently lost 1lb a week despite every now and then we mess up and eat badly. Annoying my actual weight according to our scales isn't going down much but I've been working out a lot so I'm not just losing fat but gaining muscle as well.

Hopefully she'll be able to swim a few weeks after the operation and then I can go to the gym while she's there.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    had a second session with a trainer that was mostly to determine my strength limits since i'd said to him that I was mostly training to increase my strength, rather than focusing on weight loss etc

first of all doing high weight lifts is really weird because you get so much time in between sets that I didn't come out of the whole session feeling exhausted, even if I realise how much I'd been doing

but yeah, after doing a number of different sets at gradually increasing bar weight, turns out that my various maxes are 3 squat reps at 80 kilos, 3 bench reps at 50 kilos and 2 squatting row (upright row? maybe, but not upright, with a slight bend in the knees, and lifting from the knees to the belly button while bent over) at 80 kilos. Managed to keep a decent technique throughout all of them.

Which i'm pretty proud of for starting out, but we'll see how different it is when I'm doing regular sets.

AJRmanwiththemachinegunFrylockHolmesMr. ButtonsPeenchromdomchrishallett83The Judgecaligynefob
    edited March 10
    Bent-over row.

Also, good numbers! Good work

Dead Legend on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    I'm eating a second dinner. turning into a god damn hobbit

• m!ttensm!ttens Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    I'm eating a second dinner. turning into a god damn hobbit

The problem is when elevensies happens at both elevens on the clock.

TheStigPeenSlacker71
  • VicVic Registered User regular

Thank you very much!

The past tow days has shown me how much my appetite for greasy or sweet food has diminished since I've improved my eating habits.

We've been entertaining guests all weekend and we feel so horrible after all the food we've had.

Hopefully we can have a few good days at the gym and eating less before my wife's surgery.

edited March 11
    Pretty amazing isn't it after you make the switch?

manwiththemachinegun on
  • pots+panspots+pans Registered User regular
    Has anyone got any tips on how to exercise without moving one arm? I fractured my elbow pretty badly last month. Before that, all I did was run a few times a week & lift some of my housemate’s weights. Unfortunately, running's not possible currently (moving my arm hurts too much) and I can’t even lift a cup at the moment, let alone anything heavier!

I’d like to do something though - 6 weeks of doing nothing has me feeling a little glum. All I can think of is maybe buying a cheap exercise bike? I have another physiotherapy appointment tomorrow so I’m going to ask them for some suggestions but if anyone here has any ideas I’d love to hear them!

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    The past tow days has shown me how much my appetite for greasy or sweet food has diminished since I've improved my eating habits.

We've been entertaining guests all weekend and we feel so horrible after all the food we've had.

Hopefully we can have a few good days at the gym and eating less before my wife's surgery.

I have a sweet tooth and can never truly get rid of those cravings.

For three month's I've been really good, but on Monday I just had to have a donut, and I wanted more than one, so I bought a dozen donuts and brought them in to work where I had 3 donuts total and shared my misery/donuts with my co-workers.

Woke up the next day and saw that I had still lost weight, so I cheered and started the day new and back on track.

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I took like 3 months off from the gym.

First, the holiday were busy as shit. Just started seeing a new lady, plus usual holiday stuff. Then at the end of December I got notice they weren't renewing my apartment lease. So, January and February were spent looking for apartments and packing.

Saturday was my first day back. Leg day! My legs are still sore!

Today was chest. Hoooboy my chest dips suck.

Glad to be back at it though.

walrus.png
    DoctorArchchromdomNightDragon
  • TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    pots+pans wrote: »
    Has anyone got any tips on how to exercise without moving one arm? I fractured my elbow pretty badly last month. Before that, all I did was run a few times a week & lift some of my housemate’s weights. Unfortunately, running's not possible currently (moving my arm hurts too much) and I can’t even lift a cup at the moment, let alone anything heavier!

I’d like to do something though - 6 weeks of doing nothing has me feeling a little glum. All I can think of is maybe buying a cheap exercise bike? I have another physiotherapy appointment tomorrow so I’m going to ask them for some suggestions but if anyone here has any ideas I’d love to hear them!

Assuming you don't have access to a gym, if it were me, it'd be six weeks of bodyweight squats, split squats and lunges, a lot of walking and stretching. You could probably chuck a few bricks in a backpack and make it a bit harder.

Or, you know, Netflix and lasagne for six weeks. How great would that be.

Had my first leg day just now

went pretty well

chrishallett83DoctorArch
    Have you met my friend DOMS? He's here to make sure you don't walk cool anymore.

TheStigDarkewolfeNightDragon
    All these DOMS are going to make me strong

chrishallett83AJRNightDragon
    STRONK.

chrishallett83
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Rode 100km and then ate a pizza

Good Sunday

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    CFN: RoboWizard
    tynicwebguy20TheRealBadgerchromdomchrishallett83DouglasDangerNightDragonTheStigEtheaThe JudgePeter EbelDarkewolfeLalaboxAngelinaThat Dave Fella
    edited March 20
    Bought and extra large belt because large felt too small.

However I'm now having to put an extra hole in the belt because extra large is too big!

Worse problems to have i guess.

Hoping that by the end of April I'll be able to comfortably fit in the next size down jeans. Which means I'll be the average Jean size for the UK. Not worn that size comfortably for years.

Problem i have with comparing myself to now and six years ago when i was really skinny is that my body shape has changed. I'm much broader now but when i look in the mirror I'm still looking for the skinny beanpole i was six years ago and I'll never be happy if i keep comparing myself to a time when i was under weight.

SharpyVII on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Man, nothing like seeing pictures of yourself to realize what those extra 20 lbs look like. Back on the wagon it is its for me! The annoying thing is that it's not the first time. I lost tons of weight and went from 270 to 185. Then every so often I'll decide that I really need to lose some more and get down to 160ish, but end up gaining back to 185.

The problem is that I had gotten too comfortable and those lbs slowly sneaked back in. I have absolutely zero problem remaining active and working out, but its my nutrition that's killing me. I don't watch what I eat nearly enough and I'm way too lazy when it comes to cooking at home.

Logged back into my fitness pal, since counting calories always helps, and hoping that I can finally nail this aspect down.

Liiya
    hey so i'm looking at my diet stuff, and i'm not eating a lot of protein (i do eat meat, just not super regularly, i guess. Normally not necessarily every day). My breakfasts are normally one fried egg on two pieces of toast, but that's only a bit, i guess. I've been looking up a few of those "protein ball" recipies, where you blend up dates and nuts and seeds etc, but for the most part they don't seem to contain much by the end of it.

Are there many good ways to get protein that aren't:
    - eat a steak every meal
    - buy protein powder
    - so full of kilojoules/calories that you end up not eating much for the rest of the day?

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Chicken is the big one. One chicken breast a day of about 300 cal gets me more than half my protein intake.

Greek yogurt. My favorite is Dannon Light and Fit. 80 cal, 12 p, 8-9 carb

Kashi Go Lean cereal. I eat it dry, essentially a cup of crackers. 180 cal, 12 protein, lots of fiber for satiety. Cinnamon variety has slightly less of both, but good for variety.

If you need a treat, go for Halo Top, Enlightened ice cream, or a Quest bar. Or more yogurt

KwoaruLalabox
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Is there a particular issue you have with protein powder? It really is great for getting your macros where you want them. Cost effective too

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    CFN: RoboWizard
    NightDragon
    Is there a particular issue you have with protein powder? It really is great for getting your macros where you want them. Cost effective too

i haven't quite committed to that life yet and i fear the shame and ridicule that will come from my housemates

also, those goddamn plastic tubs of them are huge and i don't have anywhere to put them in our kitchen

mostly i'm just looking at other options yet before i go down that route

• chrishallett83chrishallett83 Hi! Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    hey so i'm looking at my diet stuff, and i'm not eating a lot of protein (i do eat meat, just not super regularly, i guess. Normally not necessarily every day). My breakfasts are normally one fried egg on two pieces of toast, but that's only a bit, i guess. I've been looking up a few of those "protein ball" recipies, where you blend up dates and nuts and seeds etc, but for the most part they don't seem to contain much by the end of it.

- eat a steak every meal
    - buy protein powder
    - so full of kilojoules/calories that you end up not eating much for the rest of the day?

Seasoned grilled chicken thighs.

Mr. Buttons
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited March 28
    Lalabox wrote: »

- eat a steak every meal
    - buy protein powder
    • Chicken breast (no skin)
    • Lean seafood (cod, shrimp, scallops are my faves)
    • Canned tuna
    • Egg whites
    • Quest bars seem to be some of the best in regards to protein amounts for the lowest number of calories and sugar...but they taste like death to me
    • Greek yogurt (lowest sugar versions you can find...I like Siggi's....Oikos makes a "Triple Zero" branded yogurt, which tastes fine but has a very strong artificial sugar aftertaste. Might not bother you as much)
    • Swiss cheese is one of the best cheeses for protein. If you get Jarlsberg Lite, it's got one of the best protein grams to calories percentage that I've found.
    • Cottage cheese
    • Tofu
    • Jerky (check to make sure it's not over-sugared)

You can also try to get your protein in by selecting high-protein choices for your carbs/fats....like nuts (fats + protein), and beans/lentils/quinoa (carbs + protein). I also like to add in ground turkey breast into my pasta sauces, and use Barilla pasta that comes in the yellow box.

You can get small containers of protein powder. I've got a tiny container of unflavored soy protein powder that I use when I don't want to add chocolate malt flavor to something (which is the other protein powder I have, in whey).

NightDragon on
    rotate.php TumblrLink.gif
    Lalabox