As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fitness and Weight Management

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    You're eating more.

More nutrients, more shit.

If it's hard, eat more fiber and drink more water. Other than that, you're okay

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Well, I stopped with the protein shakes, and everything is back to normal, so I guess it's moot for me.
    'Twas more a cautionary tale.

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Brogey wrote: »
    I'm lactose intolerant so I usually take a synthetic protein with almond milk, mixed with some berries and a bit of oatmeal. On low carb days, I'll take a spoonfull of Benefiber with a drink.

Have you tried muscle milk? They market themselves as lactose free. Might be cheaper than the synthetic.

Edit: Just checked their site. They must have changed it recently. It now lists that some of their items may have a bit of lactose in them.
    Hi! Sorry, I thought I had responded to this days ago. Anyway, thanks for the recommendation. I had tried Muscle Milk in the past, and really liked their flavor options.

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    Wait, I'm confused. I upped my protein intake by [a lot, not sure how much]. My workouts and activity didn't need that much protein, so my body didn't need it and passed it on. This led to large, extremely solid poops.

All this makes sense to me. Should I ask my doc about it? Coincidentally I have a doc appt next week. Am I dying?

If you don't need it to build muscle, you store it as fat.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    So I've hit a plateau with my weight loss, and I know the issue is my diet. It is pretty garbo. I'm about 20 pounds shy of my goal weight (having already lost about 30 due to regular exercise).

Does anybody here know of a good resource for an easy to maintain 7 day meal plan to help me shed these last 20 pounds? I figure I would ask here instead of doing wild Google searches.

Edit: If it makes any differences I'm a 30 year old male, and I exercise regularly. My only real vice is coffee, but I limit it to a cup a day, no sugar or cream.

Thanks!

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Meal plan: take what you're currently eating, then cut the calories 10-20%. Monitor weight, adjust as necessary

The rest is just preference

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    something that can help you maintain your regular diet is prepararing meals. so if you know a couple days this week you're getting home late or won't want to cook or whatever and will end up eating garbage what you can do is take whatever day your sunday is, cook up a bunch of food, portion it out for a few days then toss it in the fridge.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    So I've hit a plateau with my weight loss, and I know the issue is my diet. It is pretty garbo. I'm about 20 pounds shy of my goal weight (having already lost about 30 due to regular exercise).

Does anybody here know of a good resource for an easy to maintain 7 day meal plan to help me shed these last 20 pounds? I figure I would ask here instead of doing wild Google searches.

Edit: If it makes any differences I'm a 30 year old male, and I exercise regularly. My only real vice is coffee, but I limit it to a cup a day, no sugar or cream.

Thanks!

A single cup of coffee per day, without sugar or cream, might actually be good for you, so don't feel like you have to cut that out. There's basically no calories in pure coffee...and it might help you burn off a few extra calories while the caffeine is doin' its thang.

When you say your diet is bad, what is bad about it? What are you eating?

• Options
    edited March 2017

Thanks!

A single cup of coffee per day, without sugar or cream, might actually be good for you, so don't feel like you have to cut that out. There's basically no calories in pure coffee...and it might help you burn off a few extra calories while the caffeine is doin' its thang.

When you say your diet is bad, what is bad about it? What are you eating?

During the week for breakfast I usually eat a cup of fruit (like, fruit cut up and put into a cup to hold it, not the syrupy cup of fruit stuff you can buy) with my coffee. Lunch isn't so bad - I eat at a pita place and have a whole wheat pita with some chicken and veggies with water. They claim the thing is a total of 390 calories but I assume they are underestimating.

What gets me is dinner. I'm super lazy so I'll throw a lasagna in the oven and have a bunch of that with hot sauce. Also I have a habit of eating pizza on weekends.

I guess what I really need is to figure out a better dinner game and stop with the dang weekend pizzas.

Tasteticle on

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    If that's accurate it looks like you might actually be undereating breakfast and lunch pretty severely, unless you weigh like 100 lbs or eat 1500 calories for dinner.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    i will say that i've been having quite a bit of success with one of the calorie counting apps, just because i could actually see actually how much a meal was. I haven't been following it religiously, since sometimes it's just a bit annoying to find the exact thing you are eating, and i just pick something that seems pretty close. But for the most part i've been surprised about exactly how many kilojoules a thing is.

I haven't changed what i'm eating all that much, mostly just the amounts. Mostly it's just been about making sure that i get 3 meals a day, not snacking, and avoiding the foods that are super high in kilojoules for how much it actually fills you up.

I will say that pizza is pretty shite for if you want to lose weight. you can still eat it, you're just probably gonna want to have a pretty light breakfast and lunch, and i don't think that that's a great way to go.

But, i've only really been starting out with this, so it's probably a bit of a different situation if you've already been having some success with where you want to be and it's just about losing the last bit.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    MyFitnessPal app is the light. Use that for food logging and stick with it. Having a food scale helps as well for logging food portions / servings.

Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • Options
    thanks everyone. I went out and bought some chicken breasts, veggies and whatnot and made my next 3 dinners. Also a food scale.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    thanks everyone. I went out and bought some chicken breasts, veggies and whatnot and made my next 3 dinners. Also a food scale.

Do you have a slow cooker? Making Chili on a Sunday and eating off of it all week is fucking awesome.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    BTW, "snacking" between meals in itself is not unhealthy, it's (1) overeating, or (2) eating the wrong foods.

But if you're hungry between meals, something like an apple or some carrots + hummus is a good and healthy option. Just be sure to count that towards your daily calories/foods.

• Options
    BTW, "snacking" between meals in itself is not unhealthy, it's (1) overeating, or (2) eating the wrong foods.

But if you're hungry between meals, something like an apple or some carrots + hummus is a good and healthy option. Just be sure to count that towards your daily calories/foods.

yeah, that's fair enough, i just suppose that in my case i've been going to the fridge every time i've been feeling hungry or bored for the past 10 or so years, so moving away from that and realising that i don't need to eat every time i feel hungry has been quite liberating.

I mostly just make myself quite a few cups of tea throughout the day now.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I try to eat with one hand while self flagellating with the other. It helps keep my portions under control.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    What are people's opinions on Fitbits?

I don't care about steps, but I'm curious if they're reliable calorie counters, specially for calories burned during a workout.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »

I don't care about steps, but I'm curious if they're reliable calorie counters, specially for calories burned during a workout.

They're decent, probably only slightly better than those fitness apps that use your phones gyro.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »

I got one at a discount thanks to a health insurance incentive. I used it for 3 months or so in the hopes of being more accurate way to track calories burned from walking around into my food logging app. It pretty consistently gave me way too many calories, so I just use it now as a watch and an incentive to take more walks. Not sure if it's better for actual workouts.

The build in phone gyro was more useful for an accurate calorie count, but again I was just walking around.

Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Girlfriend and I started with C25K.

Any general tips for running? In particular any tips to not get shin splints besides taking it easier? After the last session gf complained a bit about her shins.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I used one (Charge HR) for about a year and my experience was that it was a useful tool for gathering data on sleep habits, it was good for helping me get up and move and try to maintain a fitness floor threshold to meet every day but that was about it. It also had a decent wrist based heart rate monitor which was pretty accurate.

Mine always over-counted my step count and my wife's under-counted hers (mine was much closer to the mark). The distance estimator on the cheaper devices is based off your​ estimated stride length and being off by a couple of inches will add up to a large disparity over the course of a day. The more expensive ones will use GPS to get a more accurate reading.

I found mine would overpredict calories burned (likely because of the over-counted step count) so I used it more as a guide for how active I was rather than debiting them from my daily CICO calculation. If you get one, consider keeping a separate log of your food eaten, your Fitbit calories burned and you actual weight loss over a couple of weeks then run the math to see how close to the mark the device estimate is. Also note that I bought my fitbit just over two years ago and I'm sure the hardware and software have both improved since then.

Edit: oh yeah, and the estimate for calories in a workout will be more accurate the closer your exercise is to walking/running. It was way off when I would track cycling or rowing. Also the app you run on your phone can help a bit as it applies its input data to a specific exercise more intelligently than pressing the button on the device to start a generic "workout."

Also also the app destroyed my phone's battery life when configured to regularly ping the device over Bluetooth to pull data. Just something else to keep in mind.

m!ttens on
  • Options
    A lot of my workouts involve rock climbing and yoga, and I always been curious how much calories I actually burn, because when I try to log it into myfitness pal I feel it severely overstimates it.

• Options
    Using it on your non dominant hand makes fitbits far more accurate.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    It will be terrible for estimating yoga and rock climbing.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Ah, the old "I jerked off twice in a row today so my wristband thinks I ran 5 kilometres"...

• Options
    m!ttens wrote: »
    It will be terrible for estimating yoga and rock climbing.

Damn!

I do running too, but I care less about the calories burned for that.

• Options

Ah, the old "I jerked off twice in a row today so my wristband thinks I ran 5 kilometres"...

when you casually admit you jerk off for an hour a day

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I use mine on my ankle, and it's pretty much spot on for walking and running. its actually a misfit so has no altitude tracker, so not great for cycling, but I have Strava for that.

I ignore the calorie counter completely, though, and just look at the activity points to get a rough idea of whether I've been moving enough. It's probably an ok measure of whether you burned more relatively between days, but there's no way it's remotely accurate enough to base your meals on or anything.

• Options
    i'm getting tempted to turn off the kilojoule step counter on my phone. Not only is the gyro on my phone a bit inaccurate, the actual way that myfitnesspal converts the steps into kilojoules is completely arcane, and i suspect just a bit arbitrary.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Yeah I kinda want to get a pedometer that has an on off switch or something for when I get back to going to the park as the weather improves.

My phone has one but it is always on and I don't like that it seems to count the vibration of my car as steps so I have to go and subtract those to get actual useful information from it. Not that it is super useful except as a good number to motivate myself to go farther next time. I don't bother trying to figure out calories burned personally.

Then again I have to start trying to relearn the good habits I had last year and develop even better ones. Like I started to feel burned out counting my calories every day improvising my meals so I'm going to plan my meals out ahead of time I think. Plus I'm not going to weigh myself twice a month anymore so I don't obsess as much over blowing past my goal weight rather than making incremental progress on my ability towards achieving tasks that would have seemed impossible before. Like walking distance and time on my feet.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Concept2 had a challenge this month to log 25 days of 5k meters or more(additional challenge to hit 10k for 25 days) and I finished this month with 31/31 days rowing 5k or more. Of the roughly 1300 people online who completed the challenge, only about 140 managed to log an entry every day this month and I was one of them! I'm pretty proud of myself.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

when you casually admit you jerk off for an hour a day

Nah, I just run real fast.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Anyone have opinions on doing pilates full body roll ups? I ask because I've read, here and other places, that sit ups and crunches are no good. One of my yoga teachers has had us doing what google calls pilates full body roll ups, with optional assistance from a strap around the balls of the feet and/or a sandbag on the shins to prevent the legs from lifting (I use both because ugh my core).

The cue she uses is to basically roll down as slowly as possibly, engaging the deep core muscles and rolling the spine down vertebrae by vertebrae if possible, and then coming back up the same way. Feels pretty good, though I don't really have the flexibility in my upper back to get as much as I'd like to out of it. But part of me keeps thinking about how similar of an exercise it is to a sit up.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Afaik the reasons sit-ups arent necessarily that great is if you do them wrong you end up doing a lot of the work with your upper back and shoulder muscles, not your abs and lower muscles. I don't know if rolling avoids this but it sounds like it might.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Afaik the reasons sit-ups arent necessarily that great is if you do them wrong you end up doing a lot of the work with your upper back and shoulder muscles, not your abs and lower muscles. I don't know if rolling avoids this but it sounds like it might.

Makes sense. One of her cues is to not use any momentum to get back up, and to keep the transverse abdominal muscle engaged without recruiting the back or shoulders.

• Options
    planking is much better for your abs/back than situps and crunches are

• Options
    Yeah we do a stupid amount of planks as well. I don't know if I'm actually starting to enjoy them or it's some exercise Stockholm syndrome shit going on.

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    This is a bit out of the ordinary, but try looking up some hula dances or something online and copy what you see. I did it for five minutes once and it burned so good.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    [*] Quest bars seem to be some of the best in regards to protein amounts for the lowest number of calories and sugar...but they taste like death to me.
    Don't go too crazy with Quest bars though.

The sugar alcohols in them can turn you into a horrifying fart factory.

Confirming this

Also the chocolate chip cookies are pretty good.

Nuke 'em in the microwave and then remember that life is awful and food is something you have to do if you want to survive

This discussion has been closed.